DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Columbia Classics, Universal Cinema Classics, Fox Studio Classics (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/574138-columbia-classics-universal-cinema-classics-fox-studio-classics.html)

Hendersonfan 05-22-10 01:30 PM

Columbia Classics, Universal Cinema Classics, Fox Studio Classics

I am attempting to pick up all of these movies. Some are out of print and hard to find. Others are readily available in stores or via online. (own/total)

Columbia Classics - 14/30
I was able to pick up a copy of To Sir With Love (Columbia Classics) but it seems almost impossible to find Mr. Deeds Goes To Town (Columbia Classics). Instead there is a remastered copy (similar artwork but bluish colored cover) which looks to be a good solution. I also own a few movies in this collection in other versions (Bridge On The River Kwai - Limited Edition, Lawrence of Arabia - Limited Edition, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - 40th Anniversary) but I still consider them part of the Columbia Classics collection.

Universal Cinema Classics - 4/12
No real problems with finding any of these, just haven't picked them up yet.

Fox Studio Classics - 6/40
This is by far the collection I need the most to complete. These are a few that have been discontinued or re-released in other editions. I picked up the Best Picture Collection so I could get Sunrise which was otherwise near impossible to find. I have found Diary of Anne Frank and Mark of Zorro whenever I decide to grab them. Mark of Zorro was re-released as a Special Edition which I would like, but I like the cover art of the Studio Classics. Should I just stick to grabbing the Studio Classics edition of buy both and swap the cover art? All About Eve was also re-released, but since it came in the Best Picture Collection I have no intention of double dipping. An Affair To Remember was recently released as a 50th Anniversary Edition but I grabbed the Studio Classics as I was unaware of any differences between the 2 editions. Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte was also released as a new edition. Are the special features the same on both?

I'm a sucker for special features but I would like to try to stay with the collections and I like the spine numbering on the Fox set. That's where I am torn. Anyone have a solution? Or perhaps some from the collections that they would like to get rid of?

BlazinTy 05-22-10 01:57 PM

Re: Columbia Classics, Universal Cinema Classics, Fox Studio Classics

You could also pick up The Premiere Frank Capra Collection (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington / It Happened One Night / You Can't Take It with You / Mr. Deeds Goes to Town / American Madness / Frank Capra's American Dream) if you also need to the other movies in the set.

hindolio 05-22-10 11:20 PM

i feel for you henderson! spine numbers, consistent artwork and/or packaging, banners, etc all get me a bit too. if i were in your position with these collections, i think i might try to secure all of the original releases to make the "sub-collection" complete and to keep its integrity. id do greedbay and amazon and the forum for starters.

good luck :D

Trevor 05-23-10 08:28 AM

I guess you already own all the Criterions? ;)

If not, July will be a good time to start on that collection.

Hendersonfan 05-23-10 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10173396)
I guess you already own all the Criterions? ;)

If not, July will be a good time to start on that collection.

No I do not. I have 3 Criterions and a 4th ordered. With some being OOP and others I may not be interested in collecting all of them isn't something I'm interested in at the moment. That could change in the future. There are a lot of Criterions that I want, but like the other collections I just haven't picked them up yet.