DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA movie serials from 1944 are now available on DVD in the UK (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/573772-marvels-captain-america-movie-serials-1944-now-available-dvd-uk.html)

toddly6666 05-14-10 09:58 AM

Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA movie serials from 1944 are now available on DVD in the UK

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

The 1944 Captain America movie serials are now available on UK PAL DVD. The serials are split onto three dvds. I'm assuming that's the complete series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Amer...xgy_d_h__img_b

I guess that this was the first Marvel live-action superhero movies!

EDIT: they are available on USA NTSC DVD as well - I had no idea that these were public domain.

joltman 05-14-10 10:37 AM

Re: Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA movie serials from 1944 are now available on DVD in the

FYI, the Captain Marvel serial was the DC Comics Captain Marvel, aka Shazam.

dx23 05-14-10 11:29 AM

Re: Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA movie serials from 1944 are now available on DVD in the

I imagine this is going to be released in the US when the Captain America film gets released.

rw2516 05-14-10 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 10158103)
I imagine this is going to be released in the US when the Captain America film gets released.

By 20 different public domiain companies.

calhoun07 05-14-10 05:47 PM

I have these on VCD. They are terrible. I'd rather see the 70's movie released.

wm lopez 05-14-10 06:11 PM

There was a 70's t.v. show wasn't there?

manicsounds 05-14-10 06:43 PM

I'd rather see the 1990 movie get a nice edition, but that won't happen....

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 05-14-10 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 10158896)
There was a 70's t.v. show wasn't there?

Sure was. I can't find the show but I have found 2 movies made from the show.

ShellBeacher 05-14-10 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 10158985)
Sure was. I can't find the show but I have found 2 movies made from the show.

There wasn't a show. There were only the two TV-films as far as I'm aware, Captain America and Captain America: Death Too Soon, both starring a chap named "Reb Brown." The second one co-starred Christopher Lee.

I'm sure Marvel wants to bury the 1990 film (well, who are we kidding, it basically already is).

The serials are a nice find, thanks for the notice!

dx23 05-14-10 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 10158445)
By 20 different public domiain companies.

I don't think they are public domain. If they were, there would have been multiple releases by now.

The Valeyard 05-14-10 10:31 PM

The Amazon reviews on the serial release has been pretty negative quality-wise.

rw2516 05-15-10 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 10159111)
I don't think they are public domain. If they were, there would have been multiple releases by now.

Captain America is PD. There are several PD vhs tapes of it. The Republic serials that are still under copyright were all released by Rebublic on vhs using high quality sources. These are now controlled by Artisan. Artisan has only released one, Adventures Of Captain Marvel. There are several that fell into PD and have been released numerous times by numerous companies on both vhs and dvd. Republic did release their own vhs version of the PD titles where a top quality source still existed.
Some Rebulic serials not all the chapters still exists. You can get them but 4-5 chapters will be missing.
Two(that I know of) don't exist all at anymore. The two Lone Ranger. The company that made the Lone Ranger tv series with Clayton Moore paid Rebublic to destroy all prints, not wanting a competing image of the character out there. You can get them but the source is usually from a Mexican print with spanish subtitles.

caligulathegod 05-15-10 07:09 AM

That sounds a bit ironic in that Clayton Moore was on the receiving end of that treatment when they made that Legend of the Lone Ranger movie and they forbid him from wearing the mask in public appearances.