DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Oh, I saw that place before. I've love to have drawers to store my collection instead of cabinets, but those things are ridiculously overpriced. I can't justify it. I'd rather spend the money on more DVDs/BDs.
Old 08-23-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This thread needs more pictures!!
Old 08-23-17, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nando820
This thread needs more pictures!!
Heh. Well, I have a pic of my Xbox360 cabinets open. I've got a total of 8 Sauder cabinets with Xbox, DVD, and blu-ray. More pics of the room here (room# pics are most recent config): http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/

Old 08-23-17, 12:45 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

First time I've heard of DiscScox and I'm definitely going to have to buy some. As I've been converting everything to Blu I was wondering what I was going to do with my 1000s of DVDs. It will certainly make moving much easier.

Edit: Wow Viper, that is a lot of Xbox games!
Old 12-16-18, 02:24 PM

FYI first time ever seeking help through a forum such as this. I am trying to organize my collection, heck just trying to get my arms around it. All of your space suggestions are helpful. Tried Alpha order, but additions proved a problem.

I am deciding to go with a catalog numbering system, using Binders for the Artwork (just page protectors with Card Stock backing of the artwork opposite side for insert material), and Tyvek Sleeves for the discs in Storage Boxes (Sterilite 1962). (100 Discs about 11 inches). If you see a flaw in this process send suggestions.

I have about 1,000 titles.

What I need suggestions on is Software. Does anyone have a preference of DVD Profiler or Movie Organizer or All My Movies or something else?
I would like to use a UPC capture device and be able to download to Excel (pdf or WORD) basic info
Title, Director, Actors, Year release, and DVD Edition Release Year,

Any Suggestions. Thanks
Old 12-18-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
FYI first time ever seeking help through a forum such as this. I am trying to organize my collection, heck just trying to get my arms around it. All of your space suggestions are helpful. Tried Alpha order, but additions proved a problem.

I am deciding to go with a catalog numbering system, using Binders for the Artwork (just page protectors with Card Stock backing of the artwork opposite side for insert material), and Tyvek Sleeves for the discs in Storage Boxes (Sterilite 1962). (100 Discs about 11 inches). If you see a flaw in this process send suggestions.

I have about 1,000 titles.

What I need suggestions on is Software. Does anyone have a preference of DVD Profiler or Movie Organizer or All My Movies or something else?
I would like to use a UPC capture device and be able to download to Excel (pdf or WORD) basic info
Title, Director, Actors, Year release, and DVD Edition Release Year,

Any Suggestions. Thanks

I use Dvd Profiler and libib.com. I use this handheld scanner from amazon. Works well and isn't too expensive:

Brainydeal Wired Handheld USB Automatic Laser Barcode Scanner Reader With USB Cable Brainydeal Wired Handheld USB Automatic Laser Barcode Scanner Reader With USB Cable

Mine worked right out of the box. I think Dvd Profiler will dump to a comma delimited file, but there are hoops to jump through to get it to work.
Old 12-19-18, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the input!!! And the handheld suggestion.
Old 12-19-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Collectorz is another option. They offer PC app, Phone app, and web app (each for a fee) and you can scan using you phone or tablet as well.