DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor
I went dumpster diving today. The gift shop at the hospital was throwing away a rotating display that I think I'll be able to work into my DVD or CD collection somehow. I have no shame.

Hmmm...now where's that Gift Shop Supply Catalog I discarded because I thought I'd never need it?
Old 12-02-10, 12:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Hmmm...now where's that Gift Shop Supply Catalog I discarded because I thought I'd never need it?
It's actually pretty awesome the more I think about it. I'll take off the stickers obviously, it was used to sell women's casual shoes (not sure why the hospital had them here...).

It's fairly sturdy plastic, but not too heavy. The slots aren't tall enough to hold DVDs standing up, but would work on their shorter side. So I'll probably use it for CDs. I think each slot holds 5 CDs, so 15 per vestibule, x8, x4 sides, = 480 CDs. It seems like it will hold that weight, but I'll have to be careful, as I guess it was made for pretty light shoes.
Old 12-02-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

It's actually pretty awesome the more I think about it. I'll take off the stickers obviously, it was used to sell women's casual shoes (not sure why the hospital had them here...).

It's fairly sturdy plastic, but not too heavy. The slots aren't tall enough to hold DVDs standing up, but would work on their shorter side. So I'll probably use it for CDs. I think each slot holds 5 CDs, so 15 per vestibule, x8, x4 sides, = 480 CDs. It seems like it will hold that weight, but I'll have to be careful, as I guess it was made for pretty light shoes.
Keep us posted on how it works out.
Old 12-03-10, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ That brings up this possible conversation:

Do you all really trade in most of your DVDs once you "upgrade" to the BD? I would never even begin to consider such a thing. Two main reasons.
I do. But if the DVD does have a decent feature on it that the BD does not I'll of course keep the DVD.
Old 12-03-10, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
One thing I just noticed. You don't leave "spaces" between sections. I used to do this but got tired of shifting a couple of hundred DVDs every time I bought new DVDs that fit in the middle. I now leave a good space between genres so that if I get, say Iron Man 2, I only have to shift the DVDs (in that genre) a little bit (left or right). Eventually the space gets filled in but at least I don't have to shift the majority of DVDs every time.
I used to hate doing that as well. But now what I do is let my new titles pile up for a month and then the first weekend of every month I just put in a good movie and spends few hours on a Saturday or Sunday adding the new titles to the collection. By the time the film is over I'm usually finished.
Old 12-03-10, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
What do you do with paper inserts that were shrink wrapped to the outside of the case and are too big to fit inside of it? For instance, the sheet of paper Warner included on the back of the Batman Blu-ray Digibook. It lists the content and is the only place that has the UPC code. It's the same dimensions as the digibook, so if you tuck it inside, it sticks out. Not a major problem, except then part of it hangs out and is vulnerable to shelf wear.
Ughh I hate when they are too big to fit in the case! I have a tone of them rubber-banded together in the closet of my media room.
Old 12-03-10, 09:01 AM

As of right now I have my VHS, DVDs, BD, HD-DVDs, and CD/DVD combos are all together in alphabetical order on Atlantic book shelves. I agree that the look of this isn't the most appealing mostly due to the VHS being so sunken in. The BDs/HD-DVD next to the DVDs doesn't look too bad at all. But I just hate when something like my 28 Days Later BD isn't next to my 28 Week Later DVD, or my Fright Night DVD isn't next to my Fright Night 2 VHS, and so on... So it might not look the prettiest but it just feels right to me.

Last edited by MovieMassacre; 12-03-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-04-10, 01:56 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is amazing how quick my mind changes on organizing my films, I was always into, up until recently - displaying the entire collection. Sadly since I moved from a house with a large amount of space into an apartment, my collection started to get in the way of things. I've sold hundreds of DVDs and blu-rays over the last 2 months and am continuing to do so now. I've gotten my collection down to 3 large shelves (with overflow stacked on top) that take up about a third of the longest wall in the apartment, I would love to trim it down to just 2 shelves and I continue to sell things daily.

The shelving I got lucky with, I found someone on Craigslist selling them (turned out to be a Canadian Diplomat living in a huge mansion on a golf course) - I was able to get them for really cheap and they fit DVDs perfectly.

I plan on posting a picture sometime next week, I want to track my effort to slim down my collection even further.

More people should post up their collection, Trevor, we have been waiting to see what you are working on for months.
Old 12-04-10, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by bse
It is amazing how quick my mind changes on organizing my films, I was always into, up until recently - displaying the entire collection. Sadly since I moved from a house with a large amount of space into an apartment, my collection started to get in the way of things.

I plan on posting a picture sometime next week, I want to track my effort to slim down my collection even further.

More people should post up their collection, Trevor, we have been waiting to see what you are working on for months.
I've posted a couple pics of part of my collection, but my place looks too similar to a Hoarders episode right now to really show anyone. Well, not quite that bad, but I see the potential to get my 15 minutes that way.

I rarely make actual progress on any serious organizing efforts, it's all just talk. But 2011 will be different!

Spoiler:
Saving for future posts.

I rarely make actual progress on any serious organizing efforts, it's all just talk. But 2012 will be different!

I rarely make actual progress on any serious organizing efforts, it's all just talk. But 2013 will be different!

I rarely make actual progress on any serious organizing efforts, it's all just talk. But 2014 will be different!
Old 12-04-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've posted a couple pics of part of my collection, but my place looks too similar to a Hoarders episode right now to really show anyone. Well, not quite that bad, but I see the potential to get my 15 minutes that way.

I rarely make actual progress on any serious organizing efforts, it's all just talk. But 2011 will be different!
This week on a very special episode of Hoarders. . .Trevor, from DVDTALK.com.

Do it! We'll all watch. . .and take notes.

BTW that stand you found would work in my system since I store all my DVDs in slim CD jewel cases. And, you'd double the number at least of what would fit. Still hard to tell if that stand is sturdy enough.
Old 12-04-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Looks to be just the right size to where you could cut up VHs cases and glue them on where the make-up ads are.

Defiantly be sure to clean it well though, with all those sickies touching it.
Old 12-04-10, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pizza
BTW that stand you found would work in my system since I store all my DVDs in slim CD jewel cases. And, you'd double the number at least of what would fit. Still hard to tell if that stand is sturdy enough.
How do you find anything? I can't imagine using slim CD jewel cases for DVDs, it seems like you wouldn't be able to read the title without pulling the case out. Do you have any pics? I'm constantly looking for new ways to maximize my space.
Old 12-04-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
It is amazing how quick my mind changes on organizing my films, I was always into, up until recently - displaying the entire collection. Sadly since I moved from a house with a large amount of space into an apartment, my collection started to get in the way of things. I've sold hundreds of DVDs and blu-rays over the last 2 months and am continuing to do so now. I've gotten my collection down to 3 large shelves (with overflow stacked on top) that take up about a third of the longest wall in the apartment, I would love to trim it down to just 2 shelves and I continue to sell things daily.

The shelving I got lucky with, I found someone on Craigslist selling them (turned out to be a Canadian Diplomat living in a huge mansion on a golf course) - I was able to get them for really cheap and they fit DVDs perfectly.

Where do you sell your stuff? I'd love to take a look at a list of stuff you're dumping
Old 12-04-10, 12:03 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Where do you sell your stuff? I'd love to take a look at a list of stuff you're dumping
I just sold the bulk of it on Amazon and a few on ebay, next time I post a large number of DVDS, I will have to let everyone know.
Old 12-04-10, 03:37 PM

This week on a very special episode of Hoarders. . .Trevor, from DVDTALK.com.

Do it! We'll all watch. . .and take notes.

I'll make sure I have some Blossom DVDs on display as they enter my condo and give that "very special episode" tagline.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Looks to be just the right size to where you could cut up VHs cases and glue them on where the make-up ads are.

Defiantly be sure to clean it well though, with all those sickies touching it.
Good idea! I don't have any VHS really, but could (gasp!) cut up some slipcovers and glue them there.
Originally Posted by supermike07
How do you find anything? I can't imagine using slim CD jewel cases for DVDs, it seems like you wouldn't be able to read the title without pulling the case out. Do you have any pics? I'm constantly looking for new ways to maximize my space.
I use slim DVD cases for much of my collection, and they read just fine, so I imagine slim CD cases would work as well.
Old 12-04-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I use slim DVD cases for much of my collection, and they read just fine, so I imagine slim CD cases would work as well.
Don't know what slim CD cases you're using, but I have no idea how you'd go about putting labels on the spines of the ones I have. Unlike slim DVD cases, there's no accommodation for wraparound inserts.
Old 12-04-10, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Don't know what slim CD cases you're using, but I have no idea how you'd go about putting labels on the spines of the ones I have. Unlike slim DVD cases, there's no accommodation for wraparound inserts.
Not me. I use slim DVD cases. But I imagine Pizza just creates custom labels.
Old 12-04-10, 08:10 PM

Yes, you have to pull a few cases out but I have absolutely no problems finding a title quickly and it's worth the space it saves. You could set it up different ways but for me, I break it down to genres. For any genre, such as Disney, that is too large to search through at a glance I use CD dividers that are cut in half (http://www.amazon.com/Blank-Divider-Section-Separators-Dividers/dp/B000RUQDV8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291512674&sr=8-3) that act as tabs and indicate the first letter in the title, such as ABC.
Old 12-04-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My OCD Collecting perhaps is more into Collect All Possible Versions there is in US/Canada release.

The latest one that I'm planning to obtain would be All Inception Blu-ray Exclusives this coming Tuesday.

Old 12-04-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Wow, xage! Those pictures are impressive...and a little scary at the same time.
Old 12-04-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
My OCD Collecting perhaps is more into Collect All Possible Versions there is in US/Canada release.

The latest one that I'm planning to obtain would be All Inception Blu-ray Exclusives this coming Tuesday.
Old 12-04-10, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xage is the king of OCD collecting. I always love seeing his pictures.

The rest of us are just pretenders.
Old 12-04-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Xage did you order the Inception Warner exclusive case?

Do you have these in a display or just box them away?
Old 12-05-10, 12:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you have to pull a few cases out but I have absolutely no problems finding a title quickly and it's worth the space it saves. You could set it up different ways but for me, I break it down to genres. For any genre, such as Disney, that is too large to search through at a glance I use CD dividers that are cut in half (http://www.amazon.com/Blank-Divider-Section-Separators-Dividers/dp/B000RUQDV8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291512674&sr=8-3) that act as tabs and indicate the first letter in the title, such as ABC.
Pretty impressive and neat, especially with different DVD case styles. And cheaper than DVD binders, or so I would think. I currently have enough space but if I ever run out or have to move to a smaller place I wouldn't be surprised if I used this storage technique.

What do you do with the original cases and artwork?
Old 12-05-10, 10:06 PM

Pretty impressive and neat, especially with different DVD case styles. And cheaper than DVD binders, or so I would think. I currently have enough space but if I ever run out or have to move to a smaller place I wouldn't be surprised if I used this storage technique.

What do you do with the original cases and artwork?
I used to store all the cases in the basement. One day I realized that I'll never switch back (I really hate DVD cases) and threw out the cases bit by bit. I've saved the inserts and artwork.

Yes, I know the idea of throwing out the cases is upsetting to many here and, being a collector, it did feel odd at first. But DVD prices have been dropping so it's not like I'd get much for them anyway and, with that, I don't collect movies just to sell them off. It's the price for added space and it's well worth it for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.