Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-07-10, 12:24 PM   #126
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Side note, I often think of combining all my formats, as I'm to the point where I can't remember what HD discs I own. Anyone else mix in their BDs and HD-DVDs with regular DVDs, or even VHS?
I keep my stuff sorted together, not separated by format. This means I also have stuff that's not available in a commercial release which I have recorded to DVD-Rs together with my Blu-rays and DVDs.

It seemed natural to me because I was already storing my PS1, PS2, and Xbox games together (and later Gamecube, PS3, Xbox360, and Wii games, too). It seems strange to have my Resident Evil games all in separate places just because they are for different systems. From my perspective, the "right place" for them is together. Same with Spider-Man games. Why put the movie games 1 and 2 in one place because they were PS2 games and then movie game 3 in another because it was made for the PS3? I think it's kind of cool to be able to see, say, all the Batman games in one place, and I have them sorted chronologically by release date, so you can see a kind of history of games based on the character.

So, too, I want all my Batman movies in one place, and so on.
Old 06-07-10, 12:42 PM   #127

There are certainly two angles to this, each with pros and cons... separated formats to keep the physical/visual order of matching case types together, or all formats together to keep the mental/virtual order of matching content together.

The same kind of thing can happen with books (although different sizes of books don't need different devices to play them); some people group all hardbacks separately from paperbacks to make their shelves look more consistent, but they might have part of a series in hardback and part in paperback.
Old 06-07-10, 12:59 PM   #128
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
It seems strange to have my Resident Evil games all in separate places just because they are for different systems. From my perspective, the "right place" for them is together. Same with Spider-Man games. Why put the movie games 1 and 2 in one place because they were PS2 games and then movie game 3 in another because it was made for the PS3? I think it's kind of cool to be able to see, say, all the Batman games in one place, and I have them sorted chronologically by release date, so you can see a kind of history of games based on the character.
To a point, I concur. We used to have the Gamecube and Wii games mixed together; it was kind of nice seeing Mario Party 4-7 together. But the truth is, we rarely play the GC games (mostly because we don't feel like the hassle of the wired controllers) so they stay on the bottom shelf, and the Wii games are in a crate beside the Wii on top of the TV stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post
The same kind of thing can happen with books (although different sizes of books don't need different devices to play them); some people group all hardbacks separately from paperbacks to make their shelves look more consistent, but they might have part of a series in hardback and part in paperback.
I'm not big on putting paperbacks with hardbacks unless they're the larger sized softcover editions that can physically go side-by-side with hardbacks. Otherwise, I think a shelf becomes unwieldy--especially if there are clusters of several smaller paperbacks between hardbacks. Plus, I only have one real book case (one is full of texts and such, so it doesn't count). It makes much more sense for me to move my paperbacks to smaller CD towers, and use the larger shelf space for the hardbacks. If I had more shelf space, I'd still segregate them; only they'd be on the same piece of furniture.
Old 06-07-10, 04:38 PM   #129
Banned

Quote:
Side note, I often think of combining all my formats, as I'm to the point where I can't remember what HD discs I own. Anyone else mix in their BDs and HD-DVDs with regular DVDs, or even VHS?

I hate buying a DVD after confirming that I don't own it, but then later seeing that I own a HD version of it. Yeah, I know I need to get off my butt and catalog everything, I'm obviously very lazy, and fearful of another DVDSpot scenario.
I haven't upgraded to HD yet, but I still have quite a few VHS tapes (mostly stuff that's not available on DVD) which remains segregated from the DVDs.

As for being fearful of cataloging software being discontinued (i.e. DVDSpot), I have learned in the past not to rely on any service/software to catalog my collection-- right now I only use Microsoft Excel. I print off a "master list" every year and keep 2 copies of the document itself (Desktop & flash drive)-Not to mention I'm considering uploading it to Google Docs one of these days. This could be something you could consider doing.
Old 06-07-10, 04:57 PM   #130
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I took a few hours and re-organized by collection by genre - Blu Ray, DVD- action/adventure, blaxploitation, comedy, criterion/moc, documentary, drama, exploitation/cult, gialli, horror, sci-fi/fantasy, thriller, troma, western, VHS (only a few). Of course there were a bunch of titles that could have gone in a couple of different genres, and I made entire sections that could fit into others but I like the setup so far and hopefully I can break it down even farther when I get enough titles from certain sections. I can't wait for the day where I have enough post-apocalyptic titles to start its own section
Old 06-07-10, 05:04 PM   #131
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermike07 View Post
I haven't upgraded to HD yet, but I still have quite a few VHS tapes (mostly stuff that's not available on DVD) which remains segregated from the DVDs.
Same here. Those are all stacked in piles in the middle of my theater room. I've only recently started going through them and making DVDs out of the ones that still don't have a DVD yet.
Old 06-07-10, 05:34 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
I keep my stuff sorted together, not separated by format. This means I also have stuff that's not available in a commercial release which I have recorded to DVD-Rs together with my Blu-rays and DVDs.

It seemed natural to me because I was already storing my PS1, PS2, and Xbox games together (and later Gamecube, PS3, Xbox360, and Wii games, too). It seems strange to have my Resident Evil games all in separate places just because they are for different systems. From my perspective, the "right place" for them is together. Same with Spider-Man games. Why put the movie games 1 and 2 in one place because they were PS2 games and then movie game 3 in another because it was made for the PS3? I think it's kind of cool to be able to see, say, all the Batman games in one place, and I have them sorted chronologically by release date, so you can see a kind of history of games based on the character.

So, too, I want all my Batman movies in one place, and so on.
I did that once with all my Final Fantasy stuff, all the games from all the systems, plus the two DVDs (Advent Children and Spirits Within), it wasn't even close to every FF thing ever made but it was still impressive.

For years I've dreamed of combining media, like having the original novel, then the movie based on it, then soundtrack to the movie, then spinoff TV series, maybe even throw in a few graphic novels or a making of book (like that really nice BladeRunner one).

But for now, I do combine my Blurays with my DVDs. I have less than 10 Blu's and several hundred DVDs, and some of the Blu's are parts of series, so it doesn't make sense to sort them out separately (like Harry Potter 6 on Blu is with the HP DVDs, and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes is with all my Apes DVDs since it's the only one I own.)

I also have 2010 on Blu next to my 2001 DVD (2010 got upgraded first since the 2001 DVD is 16x9).

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 06-08-10, 03:35 AM   #133
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

I hate buying a DVD after confirming that I don't own it, but then later seeing that I own a HD version of it. Yeah, I know I need to get off my butt and catalog everything, I'm obviously very lazy, and fearful of another DVDSpot scenario.
I've never thought of mixing them, but I do see your point. If you are not particular about everything lining up nicely, then this may be the way to go. I usually use a spreadsheet or DVDAF to sort everything out and then just search whenever I am thinking of purchasing something I "might" have already.
Old 06-08-10, 11:07 AM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

I know people rag on DVDAF, and I agree it could stand some improvement, but I have used it for so many years and it's served me very well for what it is, especially for being free. I especially like being able to make different folders for different groupings (like I have my Star Trek in a separate folder, my Godzilla's in a folder) and there's a "sort override" function, so you don't have to accept the default alphabetical sorting (this way I can have Army of Darkness *after* Evil Dead 1 and 2, though I still have to explain it to people who see them on my shelf and ask about it...), it also allows me to have all my Doctor Who discs in story number order, all my Star Trek in order, etc.

My link is below, give it a look if you want to see for yourself.

Old 06-08-10, 09:54 PM   #135
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've said this over and over, but if DVDAF would just add an import by UPC feature I'd be there immediately. I really want a place to put my collection online and I like what DVDAF has going, I just refuse to start over and add every single title by hand.
Old 06-08-10, 11:31 PM   #136
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
I've said this over and over, but if DVDAF would just add an import by UPC feature I'd be there immediately. I really want a place to put my collection online and I like what DVDAF has going, I just refuse to start over and add every single title by hand.
You can search for and catalog titles by UPC on DVDAf...
Old 06-09-10, 07:23 PM   #137
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
You can search for and catalog titles by UPC on DVDAf...
I realize I can search that way. That still requires going through one by one. I want a quick import feature that can take a couple thousand UPCs at once and put them all in my collection.
Old 09-05-10, 03:58 PM   #138

After on again off again work on my rec room after a flood earlier this year, I finally have everything back to the way it was and am about 95% done.

I still have a little more work to do heare and there but am going to take a break for a couple months and just enjoy what I have done for now. Pictures did not come out very good. I think it may be on it's way out. Time for a new one.
Old 09-05-10, 04:03 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

^ Nice pictures taco5. You don't waste any space, that's for sure.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-05-10, 04:32 PM   #140

I actually eliminated an entire cabinet or more the past month by simply repackaging discs. Some of the more annoying box sets like Alien Quadrilogy got replaced with Versapak cases. I also put all 10 Friday the 13th movies together in a Versapak. Things like that. I've got a pile of Amaray cases and crappy digipak type packaging in the closet. Pretty funny, I had the original Stargate SG-1 (amaray x5) packaging for the first 8 seasons. I can fit 4 seasons where I used to have 1 now. I hope to fill in all the space I freed up at xmas time, but my financial situation is up in the air at the moment.
Old 09-05-10, 08:04 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

That's an impressive collection there taco, I don't even have a tenth of the goodies you have, and my shelves still feel crowded. I'd also love to move my setup to our basement but I'm also afraid of flooding.

Old 09-05-10, 08:27 PM   #142
Banned

Taco Very impressive! Wish I had that much room for all my stuff. Have to keep all of my TV titles in a closet along with most of my 1 sheet posters, and some Collectables!
Old 09-09-10, 11:46 AM   #143
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use DVD Profiler, and for the last day or so I can't access any of my Disney titles. Whenever I click on any of them in the list, it just continues to show the last non-Disney title I had selected. Anyone else having this problem or know anything about it? I'm using 3.6, build 1392.
Old 09-09-10, 04:14 PM   #144
Banned

I use that exact DVD Profiler and just checked. I could see Disney movies. I don't know what the problem could be. The only problem that I ever had with it was if the dvd cover picture wasn't at a certain size. It would often disappear. Though, that was probably more the version of the program it was or the computer on which I was using it.
Old 09-27-10, 11:45 PM   #145

Just reorganized all my stuff and thought I'd share here. Bought one shelf a few years ago and filled it up. Looked pretty hard for the same shelf but they do not make it anymore so I bought the newer version. Unfortunately the shelves are shorter and its made of crappier material. Oh well. Here are the photos.

Old shelf

New shelf

I've played around with different ways of organizing the titles and have settled on this for now. HDdvd and Bluray are mixed together but sorted by categories. Movies, Sports, Criterion, TV shows, and Disney. Other shelf as CDs, video games, regular DVD sorted similarly and a ton of old wrestling dvds.
Old 10-05-10, 05:09 PM   #146
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I did combine all of my formats together for about three shelves worth. I even turned the VHS to make them look more appealing. I tried with all of the spines together (BD/HD/VHS)... Have you ever thrown up in your mouth and sneezed at the same time? I haven't myself, but I imagine that the pain I felt looking at my collection in that state of disarray would be very similar.

Quote:
I hate this as well, and Collectorz has a fix. They have Android and iPhone apps that sync your collection to your phone. Very cool, and portable.
Old 12-01-10, 10:07 AM   #147
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I went dumpster diving today. The gift shop at the hospital was throwing away a rotating display that I think I'll be able to work into my DVD or CD collection somehow. I have no shame.

Old 12-01-10, 10:42 AM   #148
Banned

Anyone store their DVDs in a multi-disc CD/DVD "binder"? I'm looking at the $8 ones Big Lots sells, but I currently have over 2000 discs and those only hold 96 each (so I will need >10 of them). I'm also unsure whether I'd put bonus discs (anything that has 2 or 3 discs) in them.

I find it's a better to have them all on display but I have literally ran out of space, as all 4 walls of my "media room" are full. I'm not interested in replacing regular cases to slim cases, so that's not an option. I keep everything in alphabetical order except for a few exceptions.
Old 12-01-10, 08:14 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Quote:
Anyone store their DVDs in a multi-disc CD/DVD "binder"? I'm looking at the $8 ones Big Lots sells, but I currently have over 2000 discs and those only hold 96 each (so I will need >10 of them). I'm also unsure whether I'd put bonus discs (anything that has 2 or 3 discs) in them.

I find it's a better to have them all on display but I have literally ran out of space, as all 4 walls of my "media room" are full. I'm not interested in replacing regular cases to slim cases, so that's not an option. I keep everything in alphabetical order except for a few exceptions.
Yes. The only thing to consider is how the sleeves are on the inside. Crappy ones tend to have harsher material that can scratch DVDs.
Old 12-01-10, 09:21 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I went dumpster diving today. The gift shop at the hospital was throwing away a rotating display that I think I'll be able to work into my DVD or CD collection somehow. I have no shame.

That's awesome!

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."