Re: May 2010 "Make-Your-Own-Challenge" Challenge ***Lists Go Here***

DocuMarx-ActNoir Telecom®
Mini-Challenges

Spoiler:
Documentary / Marx Brothers / Action / Film Noir / Television / Commentary

Dates omitted | In no particular order

1. Act of Violence (1948)
2. Crime Wave (1954)
3. 42nd Street Forever, Volume 5: The Alamo Drafthouse Edition w/ commentary (2009)

4. Monkey Business (1931)
5. Decoy (1946)
6. Illegal (1955)

7. Hard Rain (1998) BD
8. The Big Steal (1949)
9. Side Street (1950)

10. True Blood Season 2, Episode 1: "Nothing But the Blood" (2009)
11. True Blood Season 2, Episode 2: "Keep This Party Going" (2009)
12. True Blood Season 2, Episode 3: "Scratches" (2009)

13. True Blood Season 2, Episode 4: "Shake and Fingerpop" (2009)
14. True Blood Season 2, Episode 5: "Never Let Me Go" (2009)
15. True Blood Season 2, Episode 6: "Hard-Hearted Hannah" (2009)

16. True Blood Season 2, Episode 7: "Release Me" (2009)
17. True Blood Season 2, Episode 8: "Timebomb" (2009)
18.True Blood Season 2, Episode 9: "I Will Rise Up" (2009)

19. True Blood Season 2, Episode 10: "New World in My View" (2009)
20. True Blood Season 2, Episode 11: "Frenzy" (2009)
21. True Blood Season 2, Episode 12: "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" (2009)

22. Where Danger Lives (1950)
23. Film Noir: Bringing Darkness to Light (2006)
24. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 1: Datsugoku (2006)

25. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 2: "Kaizoku tei no shôjo" (2006)
26. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 3: "Migiude to yobareta otoko" (2006)
27. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 4: "Sugi sarishi hibi" (2006)

28. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 5: "Nebâ chenji" (2006)
29. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 6: "Gekitô" (2006)
30. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 7: "Hangyaku no maruchiâno" (2006)

31. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 8: "Gigabankusu he tsuzuku michi" (2006)
32. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 9: "Jupitâ" (2006)
33. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 10: "Anjyerika bânzu" (2006)

34. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 11: "Usuragu kioku" (2006)
35. Coyote Ragtime Show Season 1, Episode 12: "Coyote" (2006)
36. Duck Soup (1933)

37. Inside the Marx Brothers (2003)
38. Amazing Stories: Season 1: "Remote Control Man" (1985)
39. Amazing Stories: Season 1: "Guilt Trip" (1985)
40. Vanishing Point (1971)

Last edited by Chad; 06-01-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May 1st
1. Airplane! (1980)
2. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
3. Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
4. Stir Crazy (1980) Netflix

May 2nd
5. The Beastmaster (1982)
6. The Big Chill (1983)

May 3rd
7. Lucas (1986)
8. All the Right Moves (1983)
9. Cannibal Ferox (1981) Netflix

May 4th
10. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

May 5th
11. Can't Buy Me Love (1987)

May 7th
12. Valley Girl (1983)

May 8th
13. Just One Of The Guys (1985)

Last edited by advdfreak; 05-08-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Perfect 10 challenge: I rank (almost) all my DVDs as I watch them for how much I enjoy watching them that time. I'm going to watch movies/shows I gave the highest score to last time I watched them.

My goal is to watch at least 10 of them.

5/15
1. The Wild Bunch - Still great, as it always will be.

5/20
2. Fight Club

5/28
3. The Royal Tenenbaums

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-29-10 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-25-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Foreign Language Film Challenge - i'll probably end up watching a whole bunch of Tamil and Hindi movies

May 01

01. Kaakha Kaakha (2003, Tamil)

one of the better - in terms of visual flair and story/ screenplay - cop movies to come out of South India. Suriya plays the macho cop while Jeevan plays the baddie who simply oozes Evil. also features one of the best on-screen pairing of Suriya and Jyothika (who is also his real life wife). one of Director Gautham Menon's better movies.

Trailer

May 02

02. Kanni Paruvathiley - a rare Tamil movie that has erectile dysfunction (!) as a major plot point. A husband discovers that he just can't get it up on his matrimonial night. the wife then succumbs to a moment of weakness with the husband's best friend. they don't really get it on because she chickens out at the last minute, leaving him hanging high n' dry. the best friend becomes crazed with lust and obsession and starts to blackmail the wife into having sex with him. will she or won't she? will the husband find out that his best friend wants to bed his wife? the rest pretty much forms the climax of the story

May 03

03. Unnai Pol Oruvan - a superb remake of the equally critically acclaimed Hindi movie 'A Wednesday!'. no silly songs and dances in this one. what you get instead is a riveting story with characters that you care and brilliant performances from the 2 male leads Kamal Haasan and Mohan Lal. one of the best movies to come out in 2009 and it has a beautiful Blu Ray presentation to boot.

May 04

04. Run - Tamil action/ romantic flick tat has a pretty run of the mill storyline, told in an interesting way. boy falls in love with girl who has a brother who's a gangster. girl falls for boy after seeing him beat the crap outta her bro's henchmen. boy goes on to beat more of the living shit out of the girl's bro and his henchmen before he gets to win the girl and prove that love conquers all.

May 05

05. Bheema - Tamil action/ romantic/ gangster drama about a man who grew up idolizing his childhood hero who is also the the local gangster. so he joins the gang and enjoys the gangster life till he meets a girl, falls in love and decides to go straight. of course, things go horribly wrong...

May 06

06. Dharma Durai - Tamil early 90s, action/comedy/ tragic family drama about an uneducated country bumpkin who loves his 2 younger bros so much that he places blind faith and trust in them. they of course betray the shit out of him, leaving him penniless and sent off to jail on a false charge. when he gets out, he wizens up to the situation, beats the living shit out of his no-good bros and goes off to live in solitude with his wife. many years later, Fate crosses his path with his bros again, who are still unrepentant scum...

May 07

07. Fanaa - Hindi; this is a good one starring Amir Khan and the lovely Kajol. Amir plays a tour guide who the blind Kajol falls in love with. After charming and seducing her, he 'dies' under mysterious circumstances only to later materialize as someone who has a hidden agenda altogether. he then meets Kajol and their son many years later and are on the verge of a family reunion but Fate intervenes and she discovers who he really is ...

May 08

08. Ghajini - Hindi; another superb performance from Amir Khan. this is a remake of the Tamil movie which actually rips off Christopher Nolan's Memento (!) the Tamil version was pretty silly but the Hindi version is better due to Amir's performance and charisma. Asin gives a memorable performance also as his ill-fated gf.

May 09

09. Sorgam - Tamil; oldie but a goldie about an ambitious man who wants to work hard and make it big in life. he succeeds but at the expense of losing his wife and son. how he reunites with them forms the rest of the story.

May 10

10. Baasha - cult Tamil movie which has superstar Rajnikanth playing an auto driver who had a mysterious past in Mumbai but who now just wants to leave all that violence behind him so that he can lead a normal life and take care of his siblings. however Fate has other plans as he runs into some old friends from his gangster days who still wanna piece of him.

May 11

11. Guru (1980) - Tamil; Kamal Hassan plays a superhero type who robs from the baddies for a good cause. this one had a pretty ridiculous plot but some great songs plus the great screen chemistry that he shares with Sri Devi the female lead.

May 12

12. Moondru Mugam - Tamil; one of Rajnikanth's hallmark movies where he creates an immortal character in 'Alex Pandian' - many of his impersonators still pay tribute to that character till today. in this movie, he plays 3 characters - Alex the police inspector and his 2 twin sons; the twins are separated at birth on the same day that the dad Alex is killed by the baddie. one sons grows up to be good and seek revenge on his father's killer while the other son turns out to be a good for nothing who ends up helping the villain. but in the end he redeems himself as he helps his bro defeat the villain and lay their father's spirit to rest.

May 13

13. Uthama Puthiran - Tamil; another oldie but goldie which plays like The Man in the Iron Mask! this is a period epic about twins separated at birth; one grows up to be gd while the other is a wastrel who is about to be crowned king. their evil uncle is behind all the shenanigans and it's up to the good guy to knock some sense into his wastrel bro, beat the living crap outta his evil uncle and save the kingdom from ruin.

May 14

14. Uyarntha Manithan - Tamil; another oldie but goldie about a rich man who falls in love with and marries a girl of low caste without his father's knowledge. when the dad comes to know about this, he burns the girl's house to the ground. the man thinking that his wife is dead consents to his father's demands to marry again to a rich girl of his choice.. little does he know that his wife is still alive and has given birth to their son. years pass by and the man is still racked by guilt over what his dad did and he meets his son and the both of them have no knowledge of each other's existence. how both father and son reunite forms the rest of the story.

May 15

15. Chennai 600028 - Tamil; sports movies are pretty rare in Tamil cinema and this one is a great debut from the director Venkat Prabhu. there are no stars and the movie is filled with fresh faces. the story is lively, entertaining and filled with snappy dialogue. this movie is about 2 rival cricket teams and the focus is on the team called Sharks. the story is about a year in the lives of the members of the team. very nice and memorable

May 16

16. Goa - Tamil; Venkat Prabhu's 3rd movie is set in the island of Goa and i think it's his best yet. this is about 3 friends who run away from their native village woth the intention of hooking up with White women so that they can get married and lead a comfortable life in America! absolutely hilarious and a very fun and rollicking ride!

May 17

17. Saroja - Tamil; Venkat Prabhu's 2nd movie is about a bunch of friends who stumble upon a kidnap plot. the suspense is pretty good due to the taut screenplay and snappy dialogues.

May 18

18. Vikram - Tamil; Kamal Haasan plays a James Bond character in this Tamil spy movie about a guy who goes after a terrorist gang who have just kidnapped a nuclear bomb, after they accidentally kill his wife while gunning for him. The villain is played by Sathiyaraj who gives one of his more memorable turns as a baddie in this flick. The plotline is really silly at times but this one is filled with some lovely songs and there's also Dimple Kapadia who makes sexcellent eye candy

May 19

19. Adhe Neram Adhe Idam - Tamil; one of the stupidest Tamil movies that i've seen in recent times. it' a waste considering the talents of the male and female leads who have done admirable work in their previous movies. boy meets girl. they fall in love. girl marries another guy for $. guy ends up killing girl. girl's husband drives away into the sunset like some stupid schmuck.

May 20

20. Thambi - Tamil; nice one starring Maadhavan in one of his more darker serious roles about a man who believes that violence begets violence. there are some communist undertones in the movie but they do not detract from the story which keeps the viewer engaged.

May 21

21. Majaa - Tamil; a father and 2 sons are ex-thieves who have decided to turn over a new leaf. the bonds between the 3 of them are put to the test when one of the brother is about to get married to the villain's daughter.

May 22

22. Sivakasi - Tamil; silly 'masala' flick about the hero who runs away from home when he was a kid because his dad beat on him and his bro ratted on him. at his fiance's encouragement, he comes back to his village only to find his bro become a gangster/ politician, his dad dead and his mum and sister's lives in ruins. what happened while he was away and how he sets about fixing things forms the rest of the stupid story.

May 23

23. Pokkisham - Tamil; a beautiful and tender love story between a Hindu man and a Muslim woman, set in 1970s India. It unfolds in the present as the man's son is reading through his dad's diary and the letters that the lovers wrote to each other.

May 24

24. Velli Thirai - Tamil; produced by Prakash Raj's Duet Films, this is a satire on the South Indian film industry. the movie does play it safe at some parts but overall it's a pretty gd commentary on the current state of affairs in the industry today. Prakash Raj as usual steals the show in one his memorable villainous turns.

May 25

25. Azhagiya Theeye - Tamil; the first movie produced by Duet Films is a sweet and realistic love story between a man and a woman who are strangers at first but are thrust to live together as man and wife. what begins as a confused relationship filled with anger and mistrust blossoms into a friendship and soon one of them begins to fall in love with the other...

May 26

26. Velvi - Tamil; rape/ revenge movie about a girl who gets kidnapped and gang-raped on the day of her marriage. when her fiance discovers that she has been 'tainted', he calls off the marriage. with her parents dead, the girls decides to strike back at those who ruined her life, including her fiance who spurned her.

May 27 - May 31 - nothing.

I'm afraid this is where my challenge ends - it's been fun while it lasted

Last edited by InnocentBlood; 05-31-10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The REAL Ghostbusters Complete Series Goal

Watch all 147 episodes of The REAL Ghostbusters Cartoon.

9/147

1. Ghosts 'R Us
2. Killerwatt
3. Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood
4. Slimer, Come Home
5. Troll Bridge
6. The Boogieman Cometh
7. Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream
8. When Halloween Was Forever
9. Look Homeward, Ray

I'm doing awful so far....I deserve the loser award for this challenge.

Last edited by Quack; 05-29-10 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 08:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unwatched (Own/Netflix) TV on Dvd Challenge
Goal: 2 Netflix sets finished (1/2) (Friday Night Lights: Season 3)
3 6 owned sets finished (4/6) (Friday Night Lights: Season 1, Friday Night Lights: Season 2, The Adventures of Pete & Pete:Season 1, Queer as Folk: The Complete Series)
100150 hours (110/150)

Normally my goals would be more, but going to be gone a lot of the month, but really hoping for a 100 hours. Actually trip changed to first two weeks of June, so upped all my goals, and hope to surpass them.

1 hr= 1
30 min.= 1/2

May 1st
1. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 2
2. Friday Night Lights "Pilot"*
3. Friday Night Lights "Eyes Wide Open"*
4. Friday Night Lights "Wind Sprints"*
5. Friday Night Lights "Who's Your Daddy"*
6. Friday Night Lights "Git 'Er Done"*
7. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 3
8. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 4
9. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 5

May 2nd
10. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 6

May 3rd- Birthday True Blood mini marathon
11. True Blood "Nothing but the Blood"* (comes out this month would have rented it)
12. True Blood "Keep This Party Going"*
13. True Blood "Scratch My Back"*

May 4th
14. Friday Night Lights "El Accidente"*
15. Friday Night Lights "Homecoming"*
16. Friday Night Lights "Crossing the Line"*
17. Friday Night Lights "Full Hearts"*
18. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 7

May 5th
19. Friday Night Lights "It's Different for Girls"*
20. Friday Night Lights "Nevermind"*
21. Friday Night Lights "What to do While You're Watching"*
22. Friday Night Lights "Little GIrl I Wanna Marry You"*
23. Friday Night Lights "Upping the Ante"*
24. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 8
25. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 9

May 6th
26. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 10
27. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 11

May 7th
28. Friday Night Lights "Blinders"*
29. Friday Night Lights "Black Eyes & Broken Hearts"*
30. Friday Night Lights "I Think We Should Have Sex"*
31. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 12
32. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 13
33. Friday Night Lights "Extended Families"*

May 8th
34. Queer as Folk S.3 Ep. 14
35. Friday Night Lights "Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes"*
36. Friday Night Lights "Mud Bowl"*
37. Friday Night Lights "Best Laid Plans"*
38. Friday Night Lights "State"*
39. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 1

May 9th-10th
Disneyland!!

May 11th
40. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 2

May 12
41. Friday Night Lights "Last Days of Summer"*
42. Friday Night Lights "Bad Ideas"*
43. Friday Night Lights "Are You Ready for Friday Night?"*
44. Friday Night Lights "Backfire"*
45. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 3
46. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 4
47. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 5
48. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 6
49. Friday Night Lights "Let's Get It On"*

May 13th
50. Friday Night Lights "How Did I Get Here?"*
51. Friday Night Lights "Panterama!"*
52. Friday Night Lights "Seeing Other People"*
53. Friday Night Lights "The Confession"*
54. Friday Night Lights "There Goes the Neighborhood"*
55. Friday Night Lights "Jumping the Gun"*
56. Friday Night Lights "Who Do You Think You Are?"*
57. Friday Night Lights "Humble Pie"*
58. Friday Night Lights "Leave No One Behind"*
59. Friday Night Lights "May the Best Man Win"*

May 14th
60. The Adventures of Pete & Pete "Valentine's Day Massacre"/"What We Did On Our Summer Vacation"
61. Pete & Pete "Apocalypse Pete"/"New Year's Pete"
62. Pete & Pete "King of the Road"/"Day of the Dot"
63. Pete & Pete "The Nightcrawlers"/"Rangeboy"
64. Pete & Pete "Tool and Die"/"Don't Tread on Pete"
65. Pete & Pete "When Petes Collide"/"Hard Day's Pete"

May 15th
66. The Adventures of Pete & Pete "Grounded for Life"/"Field of Pete"
67. Pete & Pete "The Call"/"The Big Quiet"
68. Pete & Pete "Time Tunnel"/"Inspector 34"
69. Friday Night Lights "I Knew You When"*NF
70. Friday Night Lights "Tami Knows Best"*NF
71. Friday Night Lights "How the Other Half Lives"*NF
72. Friday Night Lights "Hello, Goodbye"*NF
73. Pete & Pete "Halloweenie"/"Space, Geeks & Johnny Unitas"
74. Queer as Folk S.4. Ep. 7

May 16th
75. Friday Night Lights "Every Rose Has It's Thorn"*NF
76. Friday Night Lights "It Ain't Easy Being J.D. McCoy"*NF
77. Friday Night Lights "Keeping Up Appearances"*NF
78. Friday Night Lights "New York, New York"*NF
79. Friday Night Lights "Game of the Week"*NF
80. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 8
81. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 9

May 17th
82. Friday Night Lights "The Giving Tree"*NF
83. Friday Night Lights "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"*NF
84. Friday Night Lights "Underdogs"*NF
85. Friday Night Lights "Tomorrow Blues"*NF
86. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 10

May 18th
87. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 11
88. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 12

May 19th
89. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 13

May 20th
90. Queer as Folk S.4 Ep. 14

May 21st
91. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 1
92. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 2

May 22nd
93. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 3
94. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 4
95. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 5

May 23
96. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 6
97. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 7

May 24th
98. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 8
99. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 9
100. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 10

May 25th
101. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 11

May 26th
102. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 12
103. Queer as Folk S.5 Ep. 13

May 27th
104. American Dreams "Pilot"*

May 28th
105. American Dreams "The End of Innocence"*

May 29th
106. American Dreams "New Frontier"*
107. American Dreams "Pryor Knowledge"*

May 30th
108. Doug "Doug Can't Dig It"/"Doug Didn't Do It"/"Mayor for a Day"/"Doug's No Dummy"
109. Doug "Doug's Cool Shoes"/"Doug to the Rescue"/Doug Gets His Ears Lowered"/"Doug on the Wild Side"

May 31st
110. Doug "Doug's Big Catch"/"Doug Needs Money"/"Doug's Runaway Journal"/"Doug's Doodle"
110 1/4. Doug "Doug's Cookin'"

Last edited by HyperWeather; 06-01-10 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spring Cleaning Foreign Challenge
My Netflix queue and to-watch pile have been filling up with a lot of foreign films lately, so I'm using the challenge as an effort to free some space.

Rules: All of the movies must be foreign made (English speaking countries included). At least half of the movies must be previously unseen.
Goal: Watch at least 30 films, representing at least 15 different countries.

bold = unseen

May 1:

1. The Bicycle Thief (Vittorio De Sica, 1948; Italy) - Netflix
2. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (Tom Six, 2009; Netherlands) - VOD
3. Vampyr (Carl Dreyer, 1932; Germany) - Netflix

May 2:

4. Harry Brown (Daniel Barber, 2009; UK) - Theater

May 3:

5. Left Bank (Pieter Van Hees, 2008; Belgium) - Netflix
6. The Secret in Their Eyes (Juan Jose Campanella, 2009; Argentina) - Theater

May 13:

7. Knife in the Water (Roman Polanski, 1962; Poland) - Netflix

May 14:

8. Danger: Diabolik (Mario Bava, 1968; Italy/USA) - DVD

May 15:

9. Bronson (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2008; UK) - Netflix
10. Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht (Werner Herzog, 1979; Germany) - Netflix

May 16:

11. Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975; Italy) - DVD

May 17:

12. Belle De Jour (Luis Buñuel, 1967; France/Italy) - DVD

May 20:

13. Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1977; Italy) - DVD
14. The Last Wave (Peter Weir, 1977; Australia) - DVR

May 24:

15. Vampires in Havana (Juan Padrón, 1985; Cuba) - Netflix

May 26:

16. Alphaville (Jean Luc Godard, 1965; France) - Netflix

May 27:

17. Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009; UK/Australia) - Netflix
18. What? (Roman Polanski, 1972; Italy/France) - Theater

May 29:

19. Werckmeister Harmonies (Bela Tarr, 2000; Hungary) - Netflix
20. Waltz with Bashir (Ari Folman, 2008; Israel) - DVD

May 31:

21. The Infidel (Josh Appignanesi, 2010; UK) - VOD

Last edited by Ghostface180; 06-03-10 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 12:48 AM

80's Action Flicks

Rules
- 80s action films or later films starring 80s action film stars (Van Damme, Norris, Seagal, etc.)
Goal
31 Films

May 1
1) First Blood (Sylvester Stallone, 1982, Blu-Ray) - "What possessed god to make a man like Rambo".....First outing for the iconic character of Rambo, John J. The picture on the Blu-Ray looks amazing for such an old film.

May 2
2) Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (Sylvester Stallone, 1985, Blu-Ray) - "What you call hell, he calls home"....At one point in this film Rambo blows up a guy with an arrow, gets napallmed, steals a helicopter, and plays chicken with a gun ship, all in the span of about 15 minutes. It doesn't get any better than that

3) Cobra (Sylvester Stallone, 1986, DVD) - "Crime is the disease. Meet the cure"....

May 3
4)Commando (Director's Cut) (Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1985, DVD) - "I eat green berets for breakfast, and right now I am very hungry".....Arnold shoots, maims, stabs, beats, and blows up about 900 dudes in order to rescue his kidnapped daughter.

May 4
5)Predator (Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1987, DVD) - "If it bleeds, we can kill it". A bunch of future politicians battle an alien hunter in South American jungle. Essential viewing

May 5
6)Above the Law (Steven Seagal, 1988, Blu-Ray) - "You think you're above the law, but you ain't above mine".....The first outing for lord Seagal. Bone crunching fight scenes....literally

May 6
-Nothing-

May 7
7) Red Heat (Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1988, Blu-Ray) - Russian (Arnold) and Chicago (Jim Belushi) cops team up to stop an international drug ring.

May 8
8) Die Hard (Bruce Willis, 1988, Blu-Ray) - Some call this the quintessential 80's action flick. I'm not sure I 100% agree, but it's not a bad choice. "Yippee-ki-yay, motherf*@%*r"

9) Murphy's Law (Charles Bronson, 1986, DVD) - "Don't mess with Jack Murphy".....Cop teams up with fowl mouth thief to catch serial killer who set him up. Bronson is just badass....Seriously

May 9
10) Tango & Cash (Sylvester Stallone, Kurt Russell, 1989, Blu-Ray) - "Who does he think he is, Rambo?"....Ahhhh, they just don't make them like they used to. Too bad Kurt Russell turned down a part in the Expendables.

11) Under Siege (Steven Seagal, 1992, Blu-Ray) - "I'm just a cook"....Perhaps the Akido master's finest outing. A last gasp for 80's action.

May 10
- Nothing -

May 11
12) Kickboxer (Jean-Claude Van Damme, 1989, Blu-ray) - "If your enemy refuses to be humbled.....Destroy him"

May 12
13) Die Hard 2 (Bruce Willis, 1990, Blu-Ray) - "How can the same stuff happen to the same guy twice?"....John McClane is back in the wrong place at the wrong time!

May 13
14) Death Warrant (Jean-Claude Van Damme, 1990, DVD) - Probably my favorite Van Dammeage movie after Timecop. JCVD spin kicks his way through baddies while working undercover in a maximum security prison.

May 14
15) Timecop (Jean-Claude Van Damme, 1994, DVD) - "Turn back the clock, and you're history"....My favorite Van Dammeage flick despite plot holes you could drive a truck through.

May 15
16) Hero and the Terror (Chuck Norris, 1988, DVD) - "Heroes hit hardest".....Chuck pursues a serial killer.

17) JCVD (Jean-Claude Van Damme,2008, DVD) - Different than I was expecting. JCVD shows off his acting chops. If you're REALLY a fan of the genre then you will probably like it.

May 16
18) Top Gun (Tom Cruise, 1986, Blu-Ray) - "Talk to me Goose..."

May 17
19) Lethal Weapon (Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, 1987, Blu-Ray) - "I'm too old for this"...

May 18
20) Lethal Weapon 2 ( Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, 1989, DVD) - "The magic is back!"....Weak tagline, good sequal. I remember standing in line in the pouring rain to see it when it first came out.

May 19
21) Lethal Weapon 3 (Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, 1992, DVD) - "The magic is back again!"....Riggs & Murtaugh are joined by Rene Russo to take down crooked cops.

May 20
22) Lethal Weapon 4 (Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, 1998, DVD) - "The Gang's All Here".....Final entry in the series comes 6 years after the 3rd film. Jet Li is the chief baddie.

May 21
23) Lone Wolf McQuade (Chuck Norris 1983, DVD) - "Chuck Norris is Lone Wolf McQuade. David Carradine is the man that got in his way"

May22
- None-

May 23
24) Marked for Death (Steven Seagal, 1990, Blu-Ray) - "He's a good cop in a bad mood"....Gotta love that tag line

25) Out for Justice (Steven Seagal, 1991, DVD) - "He's a cop. It's a dirty job... but somebody's got to take out the garbage"....Maybe the most brutal flick of the Seagalogy era....

May 24
26) Flight of the Intruder (Danny Glover, 1991, Blu-Ray) - "The only thing they can count on is each other".....Kind of a Top Gun Light

May 29
27) Hard to Kill (Steven Seagal, 1990, DVD) - Seagal seeks revenge on those who killed his family. Along the way he meets the chick from Weird Science. My favorite flick from the Akido master.... "You can take that to the bank".

May 31
28) Platoon (1986, DVD) - "The first casualty of war is innocence"

Que

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Last edited by SnapDawg; 06-01-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone's Waiting...The Great Six Feet Under Re-watch

Goal: Watch Six Feet Under in its entirety.

PROGRESS

Season 1:
13/13 episodes watched
(May 1, 2010 - May 6, 2010)

Season 2:
13/13 episodes watched
(May 7, 2010 - May 11, 2010)

Season 3:
13/13 episodes watched
(May 12, 2010 - May 18, 2010)

Season 4:
12/12 episodes watched
(May 19 - May 26, 2010)

Season 5:
12/12 episodes watched
(May 27, 2010 - June 1, 2010)

Last edited by Fist of Doom; 06-01-10 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-30-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 Degree of Separation Challenge
(each movie must share a star with the previous movie watched)
Insert pretty picture here :-)

*=First time viewing

1) 5/1 12:10am - Friday the 13th Uncut (1980) starring Kevin Bacon & Adrienne King
2) 5/1 8:45am - Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) starring Adrienne King & Amy Steel
3) 5/1 10:30am - April Fool's Day (1986) starring Amy Steel & Deborah Foreman
4) 5/2 5:10pm - Valley Girl (1983) starring Deborah Foreman & Nicolas Cage
5) 5/2 8:15pm -National Treasure 2-Book of Secrets (2007)* starring Nicolas Cage and Harvey Keitel
6) 5/3 6:50pm - Reservoir Dogs (1992)* starring Harvey Keitel & Michael Madsen
7) 5/4 3:30pm - Frank Miller's Sin City - Recut Extended Unrated (2005)* starring Michael Madsen and Mickey Roarke
8) 5/5 6:15pm - Angel Heart (1987) starring Mickey Roarke and Robert DeNiro
9) 5/6 2:50pm - Taxi Driver (1976)* starring Robert DeNiro and Jodie Foster
10) 5/6 4:45pm - The Brave One (2007)* starring Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard
11) 5/7 8:00pm - Iron Man (2008) starring Terrence Howard and Robert Downey Jr.
12) 5/11 3:00pm - Sherlock Holmes (2009)* starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law
13) 5/18 5:30pm - Gattaca (1997)* starring Jude Law and Uma Thurman
14) 5/22 9:27am - The Producers (2005)* starring Uma Thurman and ...

Last edited by HotThang; 05-22-10 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-01-10, 10:16 PM

Think I'll do a TV challenge. It's been quite a while since I've watched any of my TV on DVD stuff and I have a few things I've never watched at all. I should have quite a bit more time for watching than I did last month.

May 1st
1. The Avengers: The Town of No Return/The Gravediggers
2. The Avengers: The Cybernauts/Death at Bargain Prices
3. The Avengers: Castle De'ath/The Master Minds
4. The Avengers: The Murder Market/A Surfeit of H20
5. The Avengers: The Hour That Never Was/Dial a Deadly Number
May 2nd
6. The Avengers: Man-Eater of Surrey Green/Two's a Crowd
7. The Avengers: Too Many Christmas Trees/Silent Dust
8. The Avengers: Room Without a View/Small Game for Big Hunters
9. Cowboy Bebop: Asteroid Blues/Stray Dog Strut/Honky Tonk Woman/Gateway Shuffle
May 3rd
10. Cowboy Bebop: Ballad of Fallen Angels/Sympathy for the Devil/Heavy Metal Queen/Waltz for Venus
11. Cowboy Bebop: Jamming with Edward/Ganymede Elegy/Toys in the Attic/Jupiter Jazz (Pt. 1)
12. Cowboy Bebop: Jupiter Jazz (Pt.2)/Bohemian Rhapsody/My Funny Valentine/Black Dog Serenade
May 4th
13. Cowboy Bebop: Mushroom Samba/Speak Like a Child/Wild Horses/Pierrot Le Fou
14. Cowboy Bebop: Boogie-Woogie Feng-Shui/Cowboy Funk/Brain Scratch/Hard Luck Woman
May 5th
15. Cowboy Bebop: The Real Folk Blues (Pt.1)/The Real Folk Blues (Pt. 2)/The Avengers: The Girl From Auntie
16. The Avengers: The Thirteenth Hole/Quick-Quick Slow Death
17. The Avengers: The Danger Makers/A Touch of Brimstone
18. The Avengers: What the Butler Saw/Mr. Bean: Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean/Mind the Baby, Mr. Bean
May 6th
19. The Avengers: The House That Jack Built/A Sense of History
20. The Avengers: How to Succeed...at Murder/Honey for the Prince
21. The Avengers: From Venus with Love/The Fear Merchants
22. The Avengers: Escape in Time/The See-Through Man
23. The Avengers: The Bird Who Knew Too Much/The Winger Avenger
May 7th
24. The Avengers: The Living Dead/The Hidden Tiger
25. The Avengers: The Correct Way to Kill/The Prisoner: Arrival
26. The Prisoner: The Chimes of Big Ben/A, B and C
May 8th
27. The Prisoner: Free For All/The Schizoid Man
28. The Prisoner: The General/Many Happy Returns
29. The Prisoner: Dance of the Dead/Checkmate
30. The Prisoner: Hammer Into Anvil/It's Your Funeral
31. The Prisoner: A Change of Mind/Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling
May 9th
32. The Prisoner: Living in Harmony/The Girl Who Was Death
33. /The Prisoner: Once Upon a Time/Fall Out
34. The Avengers: Never, Never Say Die/Epic
35. The Avengers: The Superlative Seven/A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Station
36. The Avengers: Something Nasty in the Nursery/The Joker
37. Supernatural: Pilot/Wendigo
May 10th
38. Supernatural: Dead in the Water/Phantom Traveler
39. Supernatural: Bloody Mary/Skin
40. Supernatural: Hook Man/Bugs
May 11th
41. Supernatural: Home/Asylum
42. Supernatural: Scarecrow/Faith
43. Supernatural: Route 666/Nightmare
May 12th
44. Supernatural: The Benders/Shadow
45. Supernatural: Hell House/Something Wicked
46. Supernatural: Provenance/Dead Man's Blood
47. Supernatural: Salvation/Devil's Trap
May 13th
48. Supernatural: In My Time of Dying/Everybody Loves a Clown
49. Supernatural: Bloodlust/Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
50. Supernatural: Simon Said/No Exit
51. Supernatural: The Usual Suspects/Crossroad Blues
May 14th
52. Supernatural: Croatoan/Hunted
53. Supernatural: Playthings/Nightshifter
May 15th
54. Supernatural: Houses of the Holy/Born Under a Bad Sign
55. Supernatural: Tall Tales/Roadkill
56. Supernatural: Heart/Hollywood Babylon
57. Supernatural: Folsom Prison Blues/What Is and What Should Never Be
58. Supernatural: All Hell Breaks Loose (Pt. 1)/All Hell Breaks Loose (Pt.2)
May 16th
59. Supernatural: The Magnificent Seven/The Kids Are Alright
60. Supernatural: Bad Day at Black Rock/Sin City
61. Supernatural: Bedtime Stories/Red Sky at Morning
62. Supernatural: Fresh Blood/A Very Supernatural Christmas
May 17th
63. Supernatural: Malleus Malificarum/Dream a Little Dream of Me
64. Supernatural: Mystery Spot/Jus in Bello
65. Supernatural: Ghostfacers!/Long-Distance Call
66. Supernatural: Time Is On My Side/No Rest for the Wicked
67. Supernatural: Lazarus Rising/Are You There God? It's Me, Dean Winchester
May 18th
68. Supernatural: In the Beginning/Metamorphosis
69. Supernatural: Monster Movie/Yellow Fever
70. Supernatural: It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester/Wishful Thinking
71. Supernatural: I Know What You Did Last Summer/Heaven and Hell
May 19th
72. Supernatural: Family Remains/Criss Angel Is a Douchebag

73. Supernatural: After School Special/Sex and Violence

74. Supernatural: Death Takes a Holiday/On the Head of a Pin
75. Supernatural: It's a Terrible Life/The Monster at the End of This Book
May 20th
76. Supernatural: Jump the Shark/The Rapture
77. Supernatural: When the Levee Breaks/Lucifer Rising

78. The Avengers: Return of the Cybernauts/Death's Door
79. The Avengers: The L50,000 Breakfast/Dead Man's Treasure
80. The Avengers: You Have Just Been Murdered/The Positive Negative Man
May 21st
81. The Avengers: Murdersville/Mission...Highly Improbable
82. The Avengers: The Forget-Me-Knot/Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Hellmouth
83. BtVS: The Harvest/The Witch
84. BtVS: Teacher's Pet/Never Kill a Boy On a First Date
May 22nd
85. BtVS: The Pack/Angel
86. BtVS: I, Robot...You Jane/The Puppet Show
87. BtVS: Nightmares/Out of Mind, Out of Sight
May 23rd
88. BtVS: Prophecy Girl/When She Was Bad
89. BtVS: Some Assembly Required/School Hard
90. BtVS: Inca Mummy Girl/Reptile Boy
91. BtVS: Halloween/Lie to Me
92. BtVS: The Dark Age/What's My Line-Part One
93. BtVS: What's My Line-Part Two/Ted
94. BtVS: Bad Eggs/Surprise
May 24th
95. BtVS: Innocence/Phases
96. BtVS: Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered/Passion
97. BtVS: Killed by Death/I Only Have Eyes for You
98. BtVS: Go Fish/Becoming, Part One
99. BtVS: Becoming, Part Two/Anne
May 25th
100. BtVS: Dead Man's Party/Faith, Hope and Trick
101. BtVS: Beauty and the Beasts/Homecoming
102. BtVS: Band Candy/Revelations
May 26th
103. BtVS: Lover's Walk/The Wish
104. BtVS: Amends/Gingerbread
105. BtVS: Helpless/The Zeppo
106. BtVS: Bad Girls/Consequences
May 27th
107. BtVS: Doppelgangland/Enemies
108. BtVS: Earshot/Choices
109. BtVS: Prom/Graduation Day, Part One
110. BtVS: Graduation Day, Part Two/Freshmen
May 28th
111. BtVS: Living Conditions/The Harsh Light of Day
112. BtVS: Fear Itself/Beer Bad
113. BtVS: Wild at Heart/The Initiative
May 29th
114. BtVS: Pangs/A New Man
115. BtVS: The I in Team/Goodbye Iowa
116. BtVS: This Year's Girl/Who Are You
117. BtVS: Superstar/Where the Wild Things Are
118. BtVS: New Moon Rising/The Yoko Factor
May 30th
119. BtVS: Primeval/Restless
120. BtVS: Buffy vs. Dracula/Real Me
121. BtVS: The Replacement/Out of My Mind
122. BtVS: No Place Like Home/Family
123. BtVS: Fool for Love/Shadows
May 31st
124. BtVS: Listening to Fear/Into the Woods
125. BtVS: Triangle/Checkpoint
126. BtVS: Blood Ties/Crush

Last edited by Cronenbergfan71; 05-31-10 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Updating
Old 05-02-10, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
2010 Foreign Language Film Challenge

May 1
1. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
I'll do this too

May
1. Cin(T)a [Indonesia|2009]
Old 05-02-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Universal Horror

2010-05-01
001. Universal Horror (1998)

I have the Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man & Invisible Man Legacy Collections so I think I'll watch those.
I'll order the two I don't have & maybe they'll get here in time.

2010-05-02
XXX. Dracula Theatrical Trailer (1931)
002. Dracula (1931)
XXX. The Road To Dracula (1999)
003. Dracula (1931) with commentary by film historian David J. Skal

I just ordered The Mummy & Creature Legacy Collections & The Best Of Abbott & Costello 3 & 4.
All the movies in The Legacy Collection plus the three A&C movies that should have been included equal 30!
I'll watch them in as close to chronological order as possible.
I don't see a problem with the Creature or A&C, but I'll probably have to watch the first two Mummy movies out of order.

2010-05-03
004. Dracula (1931) with Phillip Glass score
XXX. Introduction to the Spanish version of Dracula by star Lupita Tovar
005. Dracula - Spanish Version (1931)

2010-05-04
XXX. Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer (1931)
006. Frankenstein (1931)
XXX. The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made A Monster (1999)
007. Frankenstein (1931) with commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer

2010-05-05
008. The Invisible Man (1933)
XXX. Now You See Him: The Invisible Man Revealed! (2000)
009. The Invisible Man (1933) with commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer

The Mummy Legacy Collection hasn't come yet so I skipped to The Invisible Man.

2010-05-06
XXX. Werewolf Of London Theatrical Trailer (1935)
010. Werewolf Of London (1935)

I got an email that says The Mummy & The Creature have been shipped!

2010-05-07
XXX. The Mummy Theatrical Trailer (1932)
011. The Mummy (1932)
XXX. Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed (1999)
012. The Mummy (1932) with commentary by film historian Paul Jensen

The Mummy & The Creature sets came Today, so after going back three years and watching The Mummy I can watch the rest in chronological order. I also got an email that says The Best Of Abbott & Costello 3 & 4 have been shipped.

2010-05-08
XXX. Bride Of Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer (1935)
013. Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)
XXX. She's Alive! Creating The Bride Of Frankenstein (1999)
014. Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) with commentary by film historian Scott MacQueen

The Best Of Abbott & Costello 3 & 4 came Today!

2010-05-09
XXX. Dracula's Daughter Theatrical Trailer (1936)
015. Dracula's Daughter (1936)

2010-05-10
016. Son Of Frankenstein (1939)

I ordered the single disc version of A&C Meet Frankenstien because it has a commentary by a film historian. I'm thinking about getting the 75th Anniversary version of Dracula because it has a commentary by a screenwriter of Dracula: Dead And Loving It!

2010-05-11
017. The Invisible Man Returns (1940)

2010-05-12
XXX. The Mummy's Hand Theatrical Trailer (1940)
018. The Mummy's Hand (1940)

I got an email that says A&C Meet Frankenstien has been shipped!

2010-05-13
019. The Invisible Woman (1940)

2010-05-14
020. The Wolf Man (1941)
XXX. Monster By Moonlight! The Immortal Saga Of The Wolf Man (1999)
021. The Wolf Man (1941) with commentary by film historian Tom Weaver

A&C Meet Frankenstien came Today! I also went ahead and ordered Dracula 75th Anniversary Edition.

2010-05-15
XXX. The Ghost Of Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer (1942)
022. The Ghost Of Frankenstein (1942)

I got an email that says Dracula 75th Anniversary Edition has been shipped!

2010-05-16
XXX. Invisible Agent Theatrical Trailer (1942)
023. Invisible Agent (1942)

2010-05-17
XXX. The Mummy's Tomb Theatrical Trailer (1942)
024. The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
XXX. The Ghost Of Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer with commentary by Joe Dante (on Trailers From Hell)

Trailers From Hell has the trailers from The Ghost Of Frankenstein, Son Of Dracula, Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein & Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy! So I've added them to my Challenge. TGOF I'll add to todays list, the rest I'll watch on the same day as the film.

2010-05-18
XXX. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man Theatrical Trailer (1943)
025. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943)

Dracula 75th Anniversary Edition came Today!

2010-05-19
XXX. Son Of Dracula Theatrical Trailer (1943)
026. Son Of Dracula (1943)
XXX. Son Of Dracula Theatrical Trailer with commentary by Joe Dante (on Trailers From Hell)

2010-05-20
XXX. House Of Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer (1944)
027. House Of Frankenstein (1944)

2010-05-21
028. The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)

2010-05-22
XXX. The Mummy's Ghost Theatrical Trailer (1944)
029. The Mummy's Ghost (1944)

2010-05-23
XXX. The Mummy's Curse Theatrical Trailer (1944)
030. The Mummy's Curse (1944)

2010-05-24
031. House Of Dracula (1945)
XXX. House Of Dracula Theatrical Trailer with commentary by Joe Dante (on Trailers From Hell)
XXX. House Of Dracula Theatrical Trailer (1945) (on Trailers From Hell)

2010-05-25
XXX. She-Wolf Of London Theatrical Trailer (1946)
032. She-Wolf Of London (1946)

That was the last of the two-sided discs in The Legacy Collections and I had no problems with any of them, thankfully.

2010-05-26
XXX. Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer (1948)
033. Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
XXX. Abbott And Costello Meet The Monsters (2000)
XXX. Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein Theatrical Trailer with commentary by John Landis (on TFH)

I was unable to watch A&C Meet Frankenstein with commentary by film historian Gregory W. Mank because the single disc version is bad. The trailer wouldn't play at all. The movie played for about 15 minutes and then started acting up so I switched to The Best Of A&C Volume 3 and it played perfectly. Then I went back to the single disc for A&C Meet The Monsters it lasted 7 minutes and I switched to The Best Of A&C Volume 4 and it played perfectly. Then I went back to the single disc to try the commentary and it played for about 10 minutes and started acting up til I gave up a few minutes later.

2010-05-27
XXX. Abbott And Costello Meet The Invisible Man Theatrical Trailer (1951)
034. Abbott And Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951)

2010-05-28
XXX. Creature From The Black Lagoon Theatrical Trailer (1954)
035. Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)
XXX. Back To The Black Lagoon: A Creature Chronicle (2000)
036. Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954) with commentary by film historian Tom Weaver

2010-05-29
XXX. Revenge Of The Creature Theatrical Trailer (1955)
037. Revenge Of The Creature (1955)
038. Revenge Of The Creature (1955) with commentary by film historian Tom Weaver, Bob Burns & Lori Nelson

2010-05-30
XXX. Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy Theatrical Trailer (1955)
039. Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy (1955)
XXX. Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy Theatrical Trailer with commentary by Joe Dante (on TFH)

2010-05-31
XXX. The Creature Walks Among Us Theatrical Trailer (1956)
040. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
041. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) with commentary by film historian Tom Weaver & Bob Burns

30 films
9 rewatches with commentary
1 rewatch with new score
1 feature length documentary about the films
41 Total

Plus
8 short documentaries about the films
1 introduction
22 theatrical trailers
5 theatrical trailers with commentary on Trailers From Hell

Last edited by KaBluie; 05-31-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

icheckmovies list. All will be first-time viewings.

2nd:
1. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) (All-Time Worldwide Box office #14)
2. Michael Collins (1996) (Venice Film Festival-Golden Lion #40)
3. The World According to Garp (1982) (They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #910)
--------------------
3rd:
4. The Fountain (2006) (The 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies #60, FilmTotaal top 250 #95, Reddit top 250 #194, Empire 500 #484)
5. Sisters (1973) ( Top 500 Horror Movies #244, The Criterion Collection #441, Doubling the Canon #509)
6. Marley & Me (2008) (All-Time Worldwide Box office #296)
7. The Believer (2001) (Sundance Film Festival-Grand Jury Prize #20)
--------------------
4th:
8. I'm Not There. (2007) (The 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films #68)
9. Baraka (1992) (Roger Ebert-The Great Movies #37, Documentary #40, Doubling the Canon #526)
9. Harlan County U.S.A. (1976) (Documentary#22, National Film Registry #185, The Criterion Collection #207 , Doubling the Canon #218, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #373)
--------------------
5th:
10. Millennium Actress (2001) (Animation #35, The New Cult Canon #61, Doubling the Canon #635)
11. Shakespeare in Love (1998) (BFI 100 #49, AFI's 100 Passions #50, BAFTA - Best Film #53, Academy Award Best Picture #71, 501 Must See Movies #146, All-Time Worldwide Box Office #231, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #778)
--------------------
6th:
12. Mother of Tears (2007) (Top 500 Horror Movies #492)
13. The Golden Compass (2007) (All-Time Worldwide Box office #142)
14. Witness (1985) (AFI's 100 Passions #82, 501 Must See Movies #286, They Shoot Pictures, Dont They? #691)
15. Cure (1997) (Kinema Jumpo Top 100 Japanese Movies #57)
--------------------
7th:
16. Terminator Salvation (2009) (All-Time Worldwide Box office #136)
17. Primer (2004) (The New Cult Canon #8, Sundance Film Festival-Grand Jury Prize #23, Reddit top 250 #54, The 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies#90)
18. Quantum of Solace (2008) (All-Time Worldwide Box office #59, iCheckMovies - Most Checked top movies #221)
--------------------
8th:
19. American Movie (1999) (The New Cult Canon #30, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #33)
20. Moon (2009) (Sci-fi #39, The 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies #74, iCheckMovies - Most Checked top movies #175)
21. xXx (2002) (All-Time Worldwide Box office #256)
--------------------
9th:
22. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) (501 Must See Movies #218, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #327, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #335, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #348, They Shoot Pictures,Don't They? #633)
23. Wanted (2008) (All-Time Worldwide Box office #174)
24. Daddy-Long-Legs (1919) (1910s #9)
--------------------
10th:
25. Changeling (2008) (History #29, FOK! top 250 #182, Top 250 #227)
26. Iron Man 2 (2010) (All-Time Worldwide Box Office #94)
27. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974) (Top 500 Horror Movies#279)
--------------------
11th:
28. Easy Street (1917) (Brief Encounters #58, Doubling the Canon #973)
29. Gay Purr-ee (1962) (Top 100 Animated Features of All Time #88)
--------------------
12th:
30. Rabbit's Moon (1950) (Brief Encounters #162)
31. Good Guys Wear Black (1978) (Martial arts #30) (Even though this was hardly a martial-arts film)
32. The Hitch-Hiker (1953) (250 Quintessential Noir Films #86, National Film Registry #193, Doubling the Canon #361)
--------------------
13th:
33. Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (2003) (Music #23)
34. The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (1916) (Brief Encounters #220)
35. Thigh Line Lyre Triangular (1961) (Brief Encounters #230)
36. You're Darn Tootin' (1928) (Brief Encounters #251)
37. Hombre (1967) (100 Essential Westerns #68, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #409, 501 Must See Movies #483)
--------------------
14th:
38. Ugetsu monogatari (1953) (Horror #10, Cahiers du cinéma 100 #16, Kinema Jumpo Top 100 Japanese Movies #28, 1950s #45, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #47, iCheckMovies - Most Checked top movies #114, Roger Ebert-The Great Movies #289, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #358, The Criterion Collection #497, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #865, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #935)
39. THX 1138 (1971) (The 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies #92)
--------------------
15th:
40. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) (Western #44, 100 Essential Westerns#81, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #124, Roger Ebert-The Great Movies #172, Empire 500 #221, 501 Must See Movies #490, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #547, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #548, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #610)
41. Sexmission (1984) (Sci Fi #45)
--------------------
16th:
42. Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) (The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #365, Doubling the Canon)
43. Avatar (2009) (All-Time Worldwide Box Office #1, Fantasy #12, Sci-fi #12, All Time Box Office #14, Adventure #22, 2000s #22, Action #23, Top 250 #83, iCheckMovies - Most Checked top movies #171)
--------------------
17th:
44. Mamma Mia! (2008) (All-Time Worldwide Box Office #50)
45. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) (All-Time Worldwide Box Office #22, All Time Box Office #79)
46. Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) (1930s #32, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #178, iCheckMovies - Most Checked top movies #234, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #286, Roger Ebert-The Great Movies #336, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #522, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #526, The Criterion Collection #552)
--------------------
18th:
47. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) (AFI's 100 Passions #73, 501 Must See Movies #314, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #339,They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #623)
--------------------
19th:
48. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (1973) (Top 500 Horror Movies #454)
49. Clash by Night (1952) (250 Quintessential Noir Films #39, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #327)
50. The Last Wave (1977) (The Criterion Collection #288, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #489)
51. Seven Chances (1925) (1920s #29, Family #36, The Top 100 Silent Era Films #54, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #59, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #425, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #778)
--------------------
20th:
52. Fétiche (1934) (Brief Encounters #64, Doubling the Canon #136)
53. Tai ji: Zhang San Feng (1993) (Martial arts #46)
54. Stuart Little (1999) (All-Time Worldwide Box Office #221)
--------------------
22nd:
55. Session 9 (2001) (Top 500 Horror Movies #135)
--------------------
23rd:
56. San daikaijû: Chikyû saidai no kessen (1964) (Top 500 Horror Movies #395)
57. The Big Parade (1925) (1920s #3, 100 Must-See Films Of The 20th Century #7, War #10, Romance #14, The Top 100 Silent Era Films #18, National Film Registry #35, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #52, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #100, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?#806)
--------------------
24th:
58. Breaking Away (1979) (AFI's 100 Cheers #8, Sport #30, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #121, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die#139, Doubling the Canon #851)
59. Neco z Alenky (1988) (Top 100 Animated Features of All Time #44, The New Cult Canon #58, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #597, Doubling the Canon #770)
60. Free Radicals (1958) (Brief Encounters #67,National Film Registry #149)
61. À propos de Nice (1930) (Brief Encounters #1)
62. The Old Man and the Sea (1958) (National Board of Review-Best Film #27)
--------------------
25th:
63. The Boondock Saints (1999) (The New Cult Canon #18, Reddit top 250 #55, FOK! top 250 #76, MovieSense 101 #92, FilmTotaal top 250 #204)
64. Ratatouille (2007) (Animation #14, Family #20, Fantasy #22, Comedy #35, 2000s #44, All-Time Worldwide Box Office #47, iCheckMovies - Checked top movies #50, Reddit top 250 #100, Top 250 #165, The 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films #177, FOK! top 250 #250, Empire 500 #379)
65. Up (2009) (Animation #3, Family #4, Comedy #10, Adventure #18, 2000s #18, All-Time Worldwide Box Office #36, Top 250 #79, MovieSense101 #83, iCheckMovies - Most Checked top movies #104, The 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films #110)
66. Une corde, un Colt... (1969) (Spaghetti Westerns #18, Doubling the Canon #48)
67. Deadly Is the Female (1950) (Film-noir #34, 100 Must-See Films Of The 20th Century #55, 250 Quintessential Noir Films #61, National Film Registry #179, iCheckMovies - Most Checked top movies #217, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #287, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #375, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #565)
--------------------
26th:
68. Roma, città aperta (1945) (One hundred film and one country, Italy #3, Cannes Film Festival -Palme d'Or top movies #8, 1940s #17, War #30, Cahiers du cinéma 100 #72, They Shoot Pictures,Don't They? #98, Top 100 Spiritually Significant Films #109, 501 Must See Movies #410, The Criterion Collection#545, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #632, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #635)
69. Troll 2 (1990) (The New Cult Canon #23)
70. City Lights (1931) ( Comedy #1, 1930s #2, The Top 100 Silent Era Films #4, Romance #7, AFI's 100 passionsm AFI's 100 years 100 movies #11, 100 Must-See Films Of The 10th Century #14, Cahiers du cinéma 100 #17, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #25, Drama #28, AFI's 100 Cheers #33, AFI's 100 Laughs #38, Best Of Rotten Tomatoes #47, Top 250 #67, National Film Registry #70, Roger Ebert: The Great Movies #71, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #112, iCheckMovies - Most Checked Top Movies #155, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #185)
--------------------
28th:
71. Badlands (1973) (National Film Registry #26, 1970s #45,The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #58,1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #70, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #155, Empire 500 #155, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #635)
--------------------
29th:
72. All About Eve (1950) (Too lazy to post all the stats. I didn't even like the movie anyway)
73. The Great Dictator (1940) (Comedy #7, 1940s #8, War #11, Cahiers du cinéma 100 #24, AFI's 100 laughs #37, Top 250 #94, Roger Ebert: The Great Movies #124, National Film Registry #175, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #196, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? #198, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #354)
--------------------
30th:
74. Before Sunrise (1995) (1990s #45, FilmTotaal top 250 #62, Best Of Rotten Tomatoes #70, FOK! top 250 #146, Empire 500 #200, iCheckMovies - Most Checked Top Movies #240, Doubling the Canon #554, Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films #899)
75. In America (2002) (21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films #158)
76. Happiness (1998) (FOK! top 250 #156, The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made #371, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die #382, Doubling the Canon #848)

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-31-10 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-03-10, 08:43 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Not original but... I'm doing a TV Challenge. It's a great way to revisit old favorites, so there will be little or no first-time views.

Goal: 100 hours
To Date: 107

May 1:
Alias, "Truth Be Told"
Alias, "So It Begins"
Alias, "Parity"
NewsRadio, "Review"
NewsRadio, "Massage Chair"
May 2:
Alias, "A Broken Heart"
Alias, "Doppelganger"
Alias, "Reckoning"
Alias, "Color-Blind"
May 3:
Monty Python: Almost the Truth ep 1
NewsRadio, "Arcade"
NewsRadio, "Awards Show"
Freaks and Geeks, "Noshing and Moshing"
Freaks and Geeks, "Smooching and Mooching"
Freaks and Geeks, "The Little Things"
May 4:
Freaks and Geeks, "Discos and Dungeons"
Alias, "Time Will Tell"
Alias, "Mea Culpa"
Alias, "Spirit"
Alias, "The Confession"
Alias, "The Box, Part I"
Alias, "The Box, Part II"
May 5:
Alias, "The Coup"
Alias, "Page 47"
Alias, "The Prophecy"
Alias, "Q&A"
NewsRadio, "Daydream"
NewsRadio, "Stocks"
NewsRadio, "The Trainer"
NewsRadio, "Rap"
May 6:
Alias, "Masquerade"
Alias, "Snowman"
Alias, "The Solution"
Alias, "Rendezvous"
Alias, "Almost Thirty Years"
May 7:
Alias, "The Enemy Walks In"
The Corner, "Gary's Blues"
The Corner, "DeAndre's Blues"
May 8:
The Corner, "Fran's Blues"
The Corner, "Dope Fiend Blues"
May 9:
The Corner, "Corner Boy Blues"
The Corner, "Everyman's Blues"
May 11:
The West Wing, "Pilot"
The West Wing, "Pilot" with commentary
The West Wing, "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc"
May 12:
The West Wing, "A Proportional Response"
The West Wing, "Five Votes Down"
The West Wing, "The Crackpots and These Women"
The West Wing, "Mr. Willis of Ohio"
The West Wing, "The State Dinner"
The West Wing, "Enemies"
May 13:
The West Wing, "The Short List"
The West Wing, "In Excelsis Deo"
The West Wing, "In Excelsis Deo" with commentary
The West Wing, "Lord John Marbury"
The West Wing, "He Shall, From Time to Time"
The West Wing, "Take Out the Trash Day"
May 14:
The West Wing, "Take This Sabbath Day"
The West Wing, "Take This Sabbath Day" with commentary
The West Wing, "Celestial Navigation
The West Wing, "Celestial Navigation" with commentary
The West Wing, "20 Hours in LA"
The West Wing, "The White House Pro-Am"
The West Wing, "Six Meetings Before Lunch"
The West Wing, "Let Bartlet Be Bartlet"
May 15:
The West Wing, "Mandatory Minimums"
The West Wing, "Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics"
The West Wing, "What Kind of Day Has it Been"
The West Wing, "What Kind of Day Has it Been" with commentary
May 16:
The West Wing, "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, Part I"
The West Wing, "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, Part I" with commentary
The West Wing, "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, Part II"
The West Wing, "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, Part II" with commentary
The West Wing, "The Midterms"
May 17:
The West Wing, "In This White House"
The West Wing, "And It's Surely to Their Credit"
The West Wing, "The Lame Duck Congress"
The West Wing, "The Portland Trip"
The West Wing, "Shibboleth"
The West Wing, "Galileo"
May 18:
The Wire, "The Target"
The Wire, "The Target" with commentary
The Wire, "The Detail"
The Wire, "The Detail" with commentary
The Wire, "The Buys"
May 19:
The Wire, "Old Cases"
The Wire, "The Pager"
The Wire, "The Wire"
The Wire, "One Arrest"
May 20:
The Wire, "Lessons"
The Wire, "Game Day"
May 21:
The West Wing, "Noel"
The West Wing, "The Leadership Breakfast"
May 22:
The West Wing, "The Drop In"
The West Wing, "Noel" with commentary
May 23:
The West Wing, "Bartlet's Third State of the Union"
The West Wing, "The War at Home"
May 24:
The West Wing, "Ellie"
The West Wing, "Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail"
The West Wing, "The Stackhouse Filibuster"
May 25:
The West Wing, "17 People"
The West Wing, "Bad Moon Rising"
The West Wing, "The Fall's Gonna Kill You"
May 26:
The Wire, "The Cost"
The Wire, "The Hunt"
The Wire, "Cleaning Up"
May 27:
The West Wing, "18th and Potomac"
The West Wing, "18th and Potomac" with commentary
The West Wing, "Two Cathedrals"
May 28:
The Wire, "Cleaning Up" with commentary
The Wire, "Sentencing"

Last edited by Shack; 05-29-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm keeping it simple, action movies. No specific era or subgenre, just a good excuse to watch a bunch of Arnold, finally open the Die Hard Blu-Ray box and clear my unwatched list of Jason Statham.

May 1st:
1. District 13

May 5th:
2. District 13: Ultimatum

May 6th:
3. Walking Tall

May 7th:
4. 12 Rounds

May 17th:
5. Breaker! Breaker!

Last edited by smashthesymbols; 05-17-10 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starring Joan Crawford:

1. Paid *
2. This Modern Age *
3. Chained *
4. Grand Hotel
5. That Gorgeous Hussey *
6. Sadie McKee *
7. No More Ladies *
8. Strange Cargo *
9. A Woman's Face *
10. The Women
11. Rain *
12. Susan and God *
13. Forsaking All Others *
14. Laughing Sinners *
15. Tramp, Tramp, Tramp *
16. Possessed (1931) *
17. Above Suspicion *
18. Our Dancing Daughters *
19. Sudden Fear
20. Flamingo Road
21. Our Modern Maidens *
22. Torch Song *
23. The Damned Don't Cry (w/commentary)
24. Daisy Kenyon *
25. Autumn Leaves *

Directed by Douglas Sirk:

1. Lured *
2. All I Desire
3. Magnificent Obsession
4. Taza, Son of Cochise *
5. All That Heaven Allows
6. Magnificent Obsession (w/ R4 commentary)
7. Mystery Submarine *
8. Shockproof
9. Slightly French *
10. The First Legion *
11. Thunder on the Hill *
12. The Lady Pays Off *
13. All That Heaven Allows (w/commentary)
14. Weekend with Father *
15. Battle Hymn *
16. Magnificent Obsession (original)
17. La Habarnara
18. Zu neuen Ufern *
19. All I Desire (w/commentary)
20. When Tomorrow Comes (original version of Interlude) *
21. Take Me to Town *
22. Imitation of Life
23. Imitation of Life (Original)
24. Interlude *
25. Captain Lightfoot *

* First Viewing

Last edited by NoirFan; 05-30-10 at 01:45 PM.