DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   ?What was this Best Buy exclusive sci-fi set from a few years ago??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/572675-what-best-buy-exclusive-sci-fi-set-few-years-ago.html)

milo bloom 04-21-10 11:09 AM

?What was this Best Buy exclusive sci-fi set from a few years ago???

There was a boxset a few years back that was a Best Buy exclusive, it was maybe 3-5 older sci-fi type flicks, and the big thing I remember was that one of them used an unrated cut (showing an extra bit of lady-skin I believe).

I let this get past me back then, but for some reason it recently came to mind as something I'd like to keep an eye out for at the used shops, but I cannot think of the name of the box, or any of the titles in it.

Can anyone help me out? I know it sounds crazy wanting something I don't even know the name of, but looking at my collection recently I feel like this kind of stuff is underrepresented.

thanks

bsmith 04-21-10 11:34 AM

Re: ?What was this Best Buy exclusive sci-fi set from a few years ago???

The only thing that comes to mind to me is this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sci-Fi...1867110&sr=1-4

It was originally sold as a BB exclusive, first as set 1 and then set 2. Later they combined them into one overall set. They went OOP pretty quick and were expensive to get after the fact. However, I don't remember anything about extra skin or an unrated cut, so you may be thinking of something else. I bought the first set but missed on the second. However, when the combined set was announced I managed to sell my first set for more then enough to cover the cost of the combined.

I also remember some campy cult "B" flicks like the following being sold that might fit. There were a few such packages but i don't know if they were BB exclusives:

http://www.amazon.com/Cult-Camp-Clas...867555&sr=1-21

Adboy151 04-21-10 11:43 AM

There were a series of exclusive Warner double features -- maybe sometime in 2008:
  • Moon Zero Two/When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth*
  • World Without End/Satellite In The Sky
  • Battle Beneath The Earth/The Ultimate Warrior

(There's another exclusive wave of horror double features: Chamber of Horrors/Brides of Fu Manchu and The Shuttered Room/It!.)

I *think* When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth was an European cut with extra 'bits.'

*These titles should be OOP though, but the others are no longer exclusive.

Outside of the (no longer exclusive) Universal Horror: Classic Movie Archive and Classic Sci-fi Ultimate Collection volumes, I'm drawing a blank on multi-title exclusives.<br><br>

n.phelge 04-21-10 11:43 AM

I believe that you are thinking of the uncut "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" that was available on a double-feature with "Moon Zero Two" : link

man*machine 04-21-10 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Adboy151 (Post 10117127)

Ya, it was WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH that had all the nudity from the uncut UK version. The case had the "G" rating on the back which is what the edited US verion was originally rated. Big naked cavegirl boobs don't usually get G rated, so Warner quietly discontinued that relase after they discovered the error. It never made it to other retailers. It's worth a pretty penny now.

bsmith 04-21-10 12:03 PM

Apparently you can still get it from BB:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sci-Fi+70'S+%231+(Dbfe)+-+DVD/8879813.p?id=1887432&skuId=8879813&st=sci-fi%2070's&lp=1&cp=1

So maybe you can still get the one with the uncut version.

man*machine 04-21-10 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 10117169)
Apparently you can still get it from BB:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sci-Fi+70'S+%231+(Dbfe)+-+DVD/8879813.p?id=1887432&skuId=8879813&st=sci-fi%2070's&lp=1&cp=1

So maybe you can still get the one with the uncut version.

Very interesting! That listing was taken down a long time ago, and now it's back. I'm sure it's the same uncut version so this is a great deal for anyone who missed it. WHEN DINOSAURS is a lot of fun with some great stop-motion (and those naked boobs), and MOON ZERO TWO is also a goofy fun time (not good, but groovy).

milo bloom 04-21-10 03:43 PM

When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth is the one. When I read the title that jogged my memory.

I'll put it in my wishlist to watch out for used or at the local Best Buy.

Thanks everyone!

Trevor 04-21-10 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Adboy151 (Post 10117127)
There were a series of exclusive Warner double features -- maybe sometime in 2008:
  • Moon Zero Two/When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth*
  • World Without End/Satellite In The Sky
  • Battle Beneath The Earth/The Ultimate Warrior

(There's another exclusive wave of horror double features: Chamber of Horrors/Brides of Fu Manchu and The Shuttered Room/It!.)

Outside of the (no longer exclusive) Universal Horror: Classic Movie Archive and Classic Sci-fi Ultimate Collection volumes, I'm drawing a blank on multi-title exclusives.<br><br>

I think this post pretty much sums up all the BB exclusives that would possibly fit the query. With the Dinosaur film the answer, as several have mentioned.

unclezippy 04-23-10 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by man*machine (Post 10117190)
Very interesting! That listing was taken down a long time ago, and now it's back. I'm sure it's the same uncut version so this is a great deal for anyone who missed it. WHEN DINOSAURS is a lot of fun with some great stop-motion (and those naked boobs), and MOON ZERO TWO is also a goofy fun time (not good, but groovy).

Has anyone tried to order this from BB.com recently?

I haven't had an active BB.com account in years, and would hate to have resurrected it for nothing if this turned out to be a "ghost" listing...

BSTNFAN 04-24-10 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by unclezippy (Post 10122500)

I haven't had an active BB.com account in years, and would hate to have resurrected it for nothing if this turned out to be a "ghost" listing...

After reading this thread, I ordered it. I just got a shipped notice today, so I'll let you know what shows up.

BobO'Link 04-24-10 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by unclezippy (Post 10122500)

I bought it from bestbuy online about 6 weeks ago.

"Sci-Fi 70'S #1 (Dbfe) - DVD. SKU: 8879813"

It is indeed the uncut european version with the description on the case indicating it's the G version. I've heard that's why it was pulled. I was thrilled when someone posted the SKU in an amazon review. I used that to find it on the site and immediately ordered.

If you have a BB near you check the store first. According to BB online, some stores still have it on the shelf. You can look it up there first.

BobO'Link 04-24-10 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 10117582)
When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth is the one. When I read the title that jogged my memory.

I'll put it in my wishlist to watch out for used or at the local Best Buy.

Thanks everyone!

Because of the rarity of this one I'd not wait but just order a copy. Even if you find it used you'll probably wind up paying the "new" price just because it's "hard to find". Depending on your tax rate it'll cost a bit over $21 after shipping (at least mine did). It's rare that I'll pay "list" for a title, but this one was worth it especially taking into account it's "rarity" factor.

unclezippy 04-24-10 04:16 PM

Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Thanks for the intel, guys!

Oh look! Not 10 minutes later... my first BBy.com spam.

Joy.

milo bloom 04-29-10 11:39 PM

Pulled the trigger, we'll see how it goes.

BSTNFAN 04-30-10 08:44 AM

Mine showed up yesterday. Haven't opened it up yet, but unless they reissued a "corrected" version, it's the real deal.

milo bloom 05-07-10 09:04 PM

Mine came the other day, and I just got a chance to check it out this evening. I played the first minutes then skipped around a bit. Looks like a nice bit of goofy, Saturday afternoon scifi viewing. Does anyone know when in the movie the extra "skin" would be just so I can confirm it's uncut? All I've seen so far is a partial nipslip during the opening "solar storm".

Pizza 05-07-10 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 10146552)
Mine came the other day, and I just got a chance to check it out this evening. I played the first minutes then skipped around a bit. Looks like a nice bit of goofy, Saturday afternoon scifi viewing. Does anyone know when in the movie the extra "skin" would be just so I can confirm it's uncut? All I've seen so far is a partial nipslip during the opening "solar storm".

Bare back at 1:07; bosoms at 1:09. The scenes are not long.

hindolio 05-08-10 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 10146552)
Mine came the other day, and I just got a chance to check it out this evening...

the back still states rated "g"?

man*machine 07-28-10 11:32 AM

It looks like Bestbuy.com sold off whatever stock they had left of this rare one as it's currently unavailable again.

whotony 07-28-10 08:40 PM

Thanks for bringing this back up to let us know it isn't available anymore.