Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

Old 04-26-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
I remember....And the last episode where Alex is running around the house expressing his joy of getting out of the house and then the emotional scene where his mom goes off on him about being happy and how she would be torn apart if it were her.
You don't remember Alex dressing up as a giant tooth?
Old 04-27-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Keys View Post
You don't remember Alex dressing up as a giant tooth?
I do now! Jeez, how could I forget that!
Old 04-27-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

"Ten thousand dollars cuts an awful lot of 'Family Ties'" - Pike Bishop to Angel, THE WILD BUNCH.
Old 04-27-10, 02:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Also thought Charlies Angels would have finished off, and released in a complete, quickly after Farrah's death.
Wasn't she only in the first season though?
Old 04-27-10, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Also thought Charlies Angels would have finished off, and released in a complete, quickly after Farrah's death.
I thought there'd be more Michael Jackson stuff out by now too. It seems the only things they've done was rush his albums into stores and made This Is It. They have plenty of stuff to release: Moonwalker (which apparently is on some weird region 0 or 1 DVD), Ghosts, Captain EO. I guess all those "unauthorized" biographies or whatever came out too, but nothing the fans truly want.
Old 04-27-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Well, the economy is the reason the studios are claiming to be going so slow with catalog titles on blu, so I would imagine it's the same for tv shows that aren't selling as well as they'd like.
I think catalog titles would be slow sellers on Blu-Ray even if this were the Clinton years. Do you REALLY need to see every last movie on this planet in full 1080p? You know 720p looks descent, and for a catalog title I picked up in a three dollar bin compared to dropping $20.00 for it on Blu-Ray, it looks like visual gold.

The studios are just finally realizing not every DVD on this planet needs to be replaced all of a sudden.

As far as these TV shows go, these are OLD shows that made their money back and then some in syndication. So really how much cost are we talking about in putting out some bare bones season sets to satiate some fans? Even if isn't a stellar seller...not everything can be...it would make more money than not releasing it at all.
Old 04-28-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
As far as these TV shows go, these are OLD shows that made their money back and then some in syndication. So really how much cost are we talking about in putting out some bare bones season sets to satiate some fans? Even if isn't a stellar seller...not everything can be...it would make more money than not releasing it at all.
I don't think that is the mentality of the studios. I don't know where I read this, but my understanding is they don't want to fool with something unless they can make a substantial profit in it.
Old 04-28-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think catalog titles would be slow sellers on Blu-Ray even if this were the Clinton years. Do you REALLY need to see every last movie on this planet in full 1080p? You know 720p looks descent, and for a catalog title I picked up in a three dollar bin compared to dropping $20.00 for it on Blu-Ray, it looks like visual gold.

The studios are just finally realizing not every DVD on this planet needs to be replaced all of a sudden.

Well, obviously you seem more reasonable, but they're not releasing tv shows for some reason and money is usually the only one. While you make an excellent case, I somehow think they are looking at something else having to do with profit that makes them think they haven't made enough to justify releasing the sets.

I mean I wasn't even worried when I bought Family Ties that I'd be in this position and I'm very disappointed about still not having Ed or that they also quit after 3 seasons of Party of Five. Other examples abound throughout this thread and most of them surprise me as much or more than what I'm interested in.

Personally, I'd rather the studios spend money on BD catalogs than on BD releases of tv shows like Seinfeld and Friends, but I'm probably in the minority there. In 4 x 3 format, a sitcom from the past generally doesn't need more detail to please me, because I don't find a sitcom in 4 x 3 format dynamic presentation which is what I want my experience with home theater to be.

Also compounding my problems with tv shows, much more than with movies, is that I'm hearing that shows like House and Big Love will almost certainly be released on Blu once they are off the air. So, I'm torn between giving them more money for SD sets or waiting for the Blu versions that "might" be coming. Those shows are examples of ones that are perfect for Blu, but I certainly don't need PO5 or Family Ties in HD (or Friends, Seinfeld or Married With Children).
Old 04-29-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only real advantage to releasing shot on tape pre-HD TV series on Blu is that they could probably fit a whole lot more episodes on a lot less discs, but that's a pretty small advantage. It's nice to see some shot on film series like Twilight Zone, the Prisoner and Star Trek released on Blu, but for shows not shot on film, or shows were the original film elements no longer exists, DVD is about as good as anyone could want.

Bottom line if a studio isn't going to make enough money (whatever they determine that to be) by releasing a TV series on DVD they won't do it. They don't really owe us as fans anything.
Old 04-29-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of these old shows on Blu would only look about as good as an upconverted DVD so there really would be no motivation for most of it, unless it's to make the show available to future consumers.

As for sitcoms...I agree that we don't really need those released on Blu-Ray. There are some new shows I wonder why they aren't on Blu-Ray (30 Rock, for example) and I don't buy the DVD sets in anticipation the Blu Ray sets will come eventually.
Old 05-01-10, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of these old shows on Blu would only look about as good as an upconverted DVD so there really would be no motivation for most of it, unless it's to make the show available to future consumers.
Shows from the sixties were filmed and, if done right, would look grand on Blu-ray. Star Trek and The Prisoner on Blu-ray blow away their DVD counterparts. Sitcoms from the seventies and eighties would look like crap since they were videotaped in studios.
Old 05-01-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Shows from the sixties were filmed and, if done right, would look grand on Blu-ray. Star Trek and The Prisoner on Blu-ray blow away their DVD counterparts. Sitcoms from the seventies and eighties would look like crap since they were videotaped in studios.
Right. That's why I said "some," sir!
Old 05-01-10, 02:22 PM

I wish Paramount would put the last 2 seasons of Family Ties on the Netflix instant streaming, like Universal did with the remaining 6 seasons of Coach. Granted some of the episodes are missing (quite a few from season 9) but it's better than nothing!
Old 05-01-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless you want to own them and not have to stream them.
Old 05-01-10, 03:58 PM

Understandable, but again it's better than nothing. I would like to own them but at the same time I just want to be able to see them.
Old 05-02-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

Maybe the cast reunion on TV Land can generate interest for seasons 6 and 7?

I don't own the DVDs but after watching some clips on the 2011 TV Land Awards it might be something I would buy if they released the entire series in a box set.

Old 05-02-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 477 Likes on 397 Posts

As for sitcoms...I agree that we don't really need those released on Blu-Ray. There are some new shows I wonder why they aren't on Blu-Ray (30 Rock, for example) and I don't buy the DVD sets in anticipation the Blu Ray sets will come eventually.
Demographics has to be a big factor. There's no other reason to not release current shows like Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl. 30 Rock seems like a more male-centric show (maybe I just think that cause my wife hates it), but maybe sitcoms, even highly rated ones like 2.5 Men, are just not deemed worthy.

I have to figure syndication plays a part in older series. Will a TVLand or whoever pay extra for a show or season not on DVD? Just wondering out loud here...
Old 05-02-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 576 Posts

I hate when studios give up on a show when it is so close to to being complete. It'd be really nice to have the remaining two seasons of this released. I wonder if there's any chance Shout Factory could obtain the rights to the show and release the final two if CBS/Paramount isn't planning on putting them out.
Old 05-02-11, 03:14 PM
Banned

It may still come out. I mean, it was years between the first and second season of Growing Pains.
Old 05-02-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be nice but it's all about that one common thing involved with this process...can they make up for it in decent sales numbers? Trust me, I'd love to see at leats a dozen shows completed, whether it would be by Shout or another studio but it's all about where and who can make the most profit off the sets and putting shows on BD is just going to clutter up store shelves and cause the regular DVD sets to be removed, making less room for the newest stuff to come aboard. In a nutshell, just keep the TV shows on standrad DVD format and maybe a few shows like the other poster stated on BD but not ever show on BD as that's going to get costly and cumbersome. Bototm line, hoping these studios will do the right thing and start re-releasing or farming out the rights to other operators to bring about these products to their loyal customers. Green Acres and Mork and Mindy and a few others are good examples.
Old 05-02-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 576 Posts

I don't really buy that though. It did well enough to justify five seasons being put out but they can't finish the last two? Seems odd to me. I can see if the first season doesn't sell so hot and the rest don't follow, but after putting that many sets out it seems like they'd have an idea how the show is going to sell and what their expectations should be.
Old 05-02-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Strange to see this thread of mine today, because I'd written Shout! Factory about Mad About You last week.

They picked up the rights after Sony stopped after 3 seasons. And I always thought Shout! "saved" shows that were give up on and released the rest, yet they told me just today that they have no idea if any other seasons of Mad About You will be released, that they don't have the rights.

I can't understand why Shout! would only get the rights for 2 seasons (4 and 5), with no long term plan to release the rest of the series. That seems so un-Shout-like.

If there is no season 6 by the 4Q, I'm dumping the show like I dumped Family Ties. It's SOOOO frustrating, but I'm not interested in part of the story, I want the whole story.

Shout! mentioned, because I asked, that they do not have any current plans to release Ed or finish off the last 3 seasons of Party of Five. Time will tell, they wrote.

Well, that's it, I don't have years of time. I have other things to do and new shows to purchase. And the more that I buy, the less likely it is that I'll add more shows to my collection.

As much as I love Family Ties, Ed, Mad About You, and Party of Five, the clock is ticking.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-03-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-03-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wonder how they go about negotiating the rights to these shows with the studios. I was under the impression they bought the rights to the entire series and then released the seasons at their own discretion. Then I find out they've only been negotiating for specific seasons at a time, which is rather odd. I know the studios are a pain to deal with as this is the scenario playing out between them and Fox, who owns Rhoda S5, but hoping Shout can try alittle harder in attaining those rights for these shows and maybe get Green Acres into the fold.
Old 05-03-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This guy killed Family Ties...
Old 05-03-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

It received the TV Land Favorite Award so there are people who still like the show.

If anyone cares you can watch repeats on Hub a channel on Directv.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.