Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Party Down Season 1 - April 6th 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Party Down Season 1 - April 6th 2010

I searched and couldn't find a thread for this release, so I thought I would make one.

This appears to be $15 at all three stores (Target, Best Buy, WalMart), but WalMart has a bonus disc that includes the first two episodes of Season 2. That's pretty neat to get them a few weeks early.

But let's get to the point. Has anyone gotten the basic release? Because I just picked up the WalMart version and it's a three-disc spindle case. Ugh. And I couldn't even tell until I opened it. Is the basic release a spindle too?

Good show though. I can't wait to watch all these again before Season 2.
Old 04-06-10, 02:08 PM

Re: Party Down Season 1 - April 6th 2010

Oh god, a spindle case for the Walmart release? Thank god I didn't go there. Picked mine up at Best Buy. It's just in a 2 disc Viva Eco-box. Not too bad since it at least has a slip-cover. I'm just happy to have the season on dvd.
Old 04-06-10, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Damn. I thought $19.99 was cheap from Amazon (and it's already here). Damnit. I would have gladly spent $15 to get it at Wal-Mart with the bonus disc.

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-06-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 08:53 PM

I think the Wal-Mart version is one of the cheapest TV-DVD sets I've ever bought. It has all three disc (2 Season 1 Disc + Season 2 Bonus) with no disc art stacked in one spindle. Good price though for a great show and the bonus episodes make me not so angry about it all.
Old 04-08-10, 02:41 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I don't get Starz, so getting two extra episodes from Season 2 at the same price is pretty great (despite the spindle).
Old 04-08-10, 08:49 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Great show -- will likely be picking this up.
Old 04-08-10, 10:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sb5
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I don't get Starz, so getting two extra episodes from Season 2 at the same price is pretty great (despite the spindle).
You have Netflix? Starz has episodes of all their shows 1 day after they air on TV.
Old 04-08-10, 12:15 PM

Anyone have a picture of the walmart case? Just curious to how that thing looks.
Old 04-08-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I really enjoyed Season 1. I am going to pick this title up, but had no idea that Walmart had a good bonus. The spindle case sucks, but is an easy fix.
Old 04-08-10, 09:10 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dan31655
Anyone have a picture of the walmart case? Just curious to how that thing looks.
I don't have a camera handy, but I can describe it: it's the same size and looks exactly like a standard single DVD keep case - the only difference is that the spindle that holds the DVD is slightly longer to accommodate three DVD's instead of just one.

The slipcover and DVD case art is the same, except for a kinda ugly pink banner at the top that says "WALMART EXCLUSIVE: BONUS DISC - 2 EPISODES FROM PARTY DOWN SEASON TWO".

Last edited by sb5; 04-08-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
I don't have a camera handy, but I can describe it: it's the same size and looks exactly like a standard single DVD keep case - the only difference is that the spindle that holds the DVD is slightly longer to accommodate three DVD's instead of just one.

The slipcover and DVD case art is the same, except for a kinda ugly pink banner at the top that says "WALMART EXCLUSIVE: BONUS DISC - 2 EPISODES FROM PARTY DOWN SEASON TWO".
Ugh, I totally wouldn't want that. The bonus disc wouldn't do anything for me anyways since I know I'll be getting season 2 on dvd when it comes out.
Old 04-08-10, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by sb5

Ah.... sounds awful but atleast the pink matches the colors of the show.
Old 04-09-10, 12:23 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

The banner does match the color scheme of the rest of the packaging (with the pink bowties and Ken Marino's pink vest), but it just would have been better as a sticker on the package, or maybe just on the slipcover, rather than printed on both the case and the slipcover.

It really doesn't matter that much to me anyway, since most of the time it's going to be on a shelf with only the spine visible.

Last edited by sb5; 04-09-10 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 01:03 AM
Suspended

Just a FYI - The first two episodes are on the 'internet'. Ya know, wink wink.
Old 04-09-10, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just a FYI - The first two episodes are on the 'internet'. Ya know, wink wink.
lol Yeah, just watched them. Great way to start off the season. Though I am missing Jane Lynch terribly, Megan Mullaly is a great addition to the cast. I would have been even happier if they had gotten back Jennifer Coolidge though. She was phenomenal in those last two episodes last season. It's a shame that they're losing Adam Scott after this next season. Maybe they'll end it with a bang and we'll get the perfect little two season show.
Old 04-09-10, 01:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by vmars
lol Yeah, just watched them. Great way to start off the season. Though I am missing Jane Lynch terribly, Megan Mullaly is a great addition to the cast. I would have been even happier if they had gotten back Jennifer Coolidge though. She was phenomenal in those last two episodes last season. It's a shame that they're losing Adam Scott after this next season. Maybe they'll end it with a bang and we'll get the perfect little two season show.
Lizzy Caplan also landed a pilot. This show is likely dead after this season

I believe Coolidge is (or will be) a fulltime cast member on Secret Life of the American Teenager.
Old 04-09-10, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Lizzy Caplan also landed a pilot. This show is likely dead after this season

I believe Coolidge is (or will be) a fulltime cast member on Secret Life of the American Teenager.
Well it's great to hear that these peoples careers are taking off. Though it's sad to hear that Jennifer Coolidge is on the dreck that is Secret Life of the American Teenager. That show is just plain painful to watch. Adam Scott should be great on Parks and Recreation next season. And maybe if this show ends it'll give Rob Thomas the time to write and self-fund the Veronica Mars movie! Hey, I can dream can't I?