Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WB Film Noir Collection V.5: 7/13/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WB Film Noir Collection V.5: 7/13/10

No extras at all, but hey, at least they're actual DVDs!

Old 04-05-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: WB Film Noir Collection V.5: 7/13/10

Old 04-05-10, 06:40 PM

Wow! I'd all but given up on WB ever releasing any catalog box sets ever again.
Old 04-05-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Nice to have them back
Old 04-05-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes! Gonna miss the extras, though.
Old 04-05-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure about the no extras thing?
Old 04-05-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
The only extras listed on Warner's press release are the trailers for Dial 1119 and Cornered, otherwise it's barebones: two films to a disc for a total of four discs.
Old 04-05-10, 08:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Armored Car Robbery
Old 04-05-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't even expecting another set so thats pretty awesome. But not even some commentaries? That is a disappointment.
Old 04-05-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by manicsounds
From Classic Flix:
Unlike previous Noir sets, this one is thin on bonus features with only 2 theatrical trailers. And while the usual Spanish and/or French subtitles are missing from this release, English subtitles are included.

Cornered (1945, 102 min.)
From England to continental Europe to Buenos Aires, ex-RCAF pilot Dick Powell stalks the Nazi collaborator who murdered his bride. But one fact constantly surfaces during his quest: no one can describe the mysterious man. Joining Powell in the film shadows are the director and other key talent behind Murder, My Sweet of the year before.

Desperate (1947, 73 min.)
Desperate is the first of seven atmospheric noirs directed by Anthony Mann. Steve Brodie is a postwar every man who accepts what he thinks is an honest trucking job, only to find he’s the driver in a botched heist that puts Brodie and his bride (Audrey Long) on the run from the cops and the cons who planned the job (including chief thug Raymond Burr).

The Phoenix City Story
(1955, 100 min.)
Corruption, brutality and vice plagued Phenix City, Alabama, for 100 years, so who would dare to change it? Based on real-life events and filmed on location in what was called Sin City USA, director Phil Karlson’s semi-documentary tells the jolting tale of those who risked their lives to bring the burg’s syndicate of thugs and murderers to justice.

Dial 1119 (1950, 75 min.)
An asylum inmate escapes to the city, where he takes hostages at a local dive, guns down a bar employee and warns authorities his captives will be next if the doctor whose testimony first put him away doesn’t arrive within the hour. A bit of casting irony goes with the movie’s then-novel use of TV news coverage: actors Marshall Thompson, William Conrad, Keefe Brasselle and Leon Ames would have significant career ventures in television.

Armored Car Robbery (1950, 68 min.)
Richard Fleischer directs this brute-force milestone about a deadly heist and the battle of wits and firepower between a fugitive gangster (William Talman) and his stripper moll (Adele Jergens) and a bulldog cop (Charles McGraw), out to avenge his partner’s death, who uses hidden microphones, lab work and his own well-honed instincts to close the net.

Crime in the Streets (1956, 91 min.)
Following a turf rumble with a rival group, a street gang leader (John Cassavetes) tells his gang to do what they’ve never done before: kill a snitch. Reginald Rose wrote and Don Siegel directs a jazz-riffing screen version of a tale first seen on TV and co-starring James Whitmore and Sal Mineo.

Deadline at Dawn
(1946, 83 min.)
A gangster’s sister lies dead. All clues point to sailor Bill Williams as the murderer. Slated to depart for duty at dawn, the swabbie, aided by good-hearted dime-a-dancer Susan Hayward and affable cabbie Paul Lukas, has mere hours to prove his innocence. The tangy Clifford Odets script is based on a novel by William Irish (pseudonym of Cornell Woolrich).

Backfire (1950, 91 min.)
Vincent Sherman directs this gripping yarn about recovering war veteran Gordon MacRae’s quest to prove pal Edmond O’Brien innocent of murder. Aiding him is his resourceful nurse Virginia Mayo. And a secretive doctor, a lively undertaker, a desperate gambler, a dying witness and a haunting Viennese melody all lead them to a shocking climax.
I'm especially looking forward to more Mann.
Old 04-06-10, 06:27 AM

Hopefully, the BD version will include the missing extras.
Old 04-06-10, 08:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Old 04-06-10, 08:22 AM

not to go too much off topic, but I am seeing a trend (especially in the BD area, but also in SD), where there are less bonus features than in the past.

It is almost like they are saying (and this is purely my personal subjective opinion) "physical media is short lived. let's stop putting too much extra stuff into this format"

In fact, this is one of the main reasons I haven't gone blu yet. Paying more $ for less features don't make sense to me..

Sorry if this is OTT, but I thought it was related... somewhat...
Old 04-06-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am all over this, cannot wait for its release.
Armored Car Robbery is the big one in this box.
Old 04-06-10, 09:48 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised Warner is putting these out as a box set instead of on the Archive. Frankly, they're pretty much the equivalent of a number of titles that have already come out on the Archive. My guess is that Warner is testing the waters to see if there still is a market for box sets like this that retail in the $30-40 range.

If this does well, expect some similar packages in the future, possibly even the ones Warner is currently selling on the Archive as "unofficial" box sets like the Barker and Scott Tarzan films.

If it doesn't..... it could be a long time before we see a similar release.
Old 04-06-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I'm pleasantly surprised Warner is putting these out as a box set instead of on the Archive. Frankly, they're pretty much the equivalent of a number of titles that have already come out on the Archive. My guess is that Warner is testing the waters to see if there still is a market for box sets like this that retail in the $30-40 range.

If this does well, expect some similar packages in the future, possibly even the ones Warner is currently selling on the Archive as "unofficial" box sets like the Barker and Scott Tarzan films.

If it doesn't..... it could be a long time before we see a similar release.
My guess these are pressed because they are restored. Takes a long time to restore eight films and this may have been planned and restoration began at least a year before the archive.
Like I speculated in one of the half dozen current threads about made on demand: Stuff that restoration/prep had already begun on before launching the archive, they'll go ahead and finish, and press. The rest goes to the archive.
Old 04-10-10, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
My guess these are pressed because they are restored. Takes a long time to restore eight films and this may have been planned and restoration began at least a year before the archive.
Like I speculated in one of the half dozen current threads about made on demand: Stuff that restoration/prep had already begun on before launching the archive, they'll go ahead and finish, and press. The rest goes to the archive.
One of the movies that's just been released on the Warner Archive is Al Jolson's Mammy and it indicates on both the WB site and on the case itself that the film has been restored and remastered. It says: "Newly remastered with restored 2-color Technicolor sequences." Apparently, the film was in black & white (as was the earlier VHS release) with musical numbers in the early Technicolor process which got lost before the film made it to VHS. According to what I was able to discover, they discovered a color print of the musical sequences in the Netherlands and Warner decided to remaster the entire film with the technicolor sequences inserted. The technicolor sequences make up about 20% of the movie.

Here's the link to a site that discussed this in 2001 (so it took Warner a looong time to get around to doing this):
http://www.picking.com/vitaphone53.html

As far as I know, this is the only Archive title to date that's been remastered. When you look up a typical title, it doesn't say that and in fact, when you look them up on the WB site it specifically says: "This film has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored specifically for this DVD and Digital Download release." From what I've heard, the picture and sound quality of a number of the other Archive titles from the 20s and early 30s is mediocre at best (but probably the best we'll ever see unless someone is willing to spend big bucks).

So even though Warner put money into remastering Mammy, they still felt (and I'm sure they were right) that there would be little demand so they released in on the Archive. There's probably other titles like that.
Old 04-10-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
This makes sense. There's a lot of higher-tier classics than the Archive titles that haven't appeared yet so maybe they're in that cycle.
Old 04-10-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

In the recent HTF chat the WB rep said something to the effect of "the quality people have come to expect from Warner Home Video", which implies to me they won't press something unless it's been cleaned up the best they can get it. Although some of the older 60s saturday morning stuff looks a little rough.
Old 07-07-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver review
The screencaps look quite good, though it's obviously a pity about the lack of extras - not even trailers on most of 'em! I wonder if this will end up being the last pressed DVD box from WB.
Old 07-08-10, 12:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just happy this is coming out on pressed DVDs. The only one I've seen is Deadline at Dawn. I've wanted to see The Phenix City Story, Armored Car Robbery and Cornered for a long time, and the other titles sound interesting, especially Desperate.
Old 07-08-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

an Anthony Mann noir I hadnt heard of, I'm on it
Old 07-08-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I don't mind, but are people gonna be pissed about the packaging? Not only are there two movies per disc, it's a digipack with all the discs in there together like a TV show set.

Last edited by slop101; 07-08-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-08-10, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't mind, but are people gonna be pissed about the packaging? Not only are there two movies per disc, it's a digipack with all the discs in there together like a TV show set.

The alternative was being released separately on the Warner Archive at $20 apiece.
Old 07-08-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
No doubt some people will complain and vow to boycott the release until a "proper" version comes out.

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Any reason why Warner Bros decided to stop pressing boxed sets? I thought their sets sold fairly well, especially the Thin Man set and the other Film Noir sets...
Yep, back in the days when packaged DVD was king.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.