Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Old 01-19-12, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

if anyone is interested bestbuy.com had some cheap WWE 2,3 disc sets they are around 6 to 7 dollars each. Even if some of these are backordered you should still order them and they will still ship

i got both Eddie Guerrero sets and both ric flair sets.
Old 01-19-12, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sg2386
No offense but DVDs don't suffer, it's your choice you want to stick to DVD, not WWE's problem...Blu-ray is the way to go, movie studios hardly give DVDs any worthy extras and load up the Blu-ray versions.

Seems like North America find it hard to adjust to change, especially in technology compared to Europe and Asia.

Blu-ray players are so cheap these days, they don't cost $500-$600 anymore you can get decent one for less than $100, and they play your DVDs too, so no big deal.

WWE has to find ways of enticing sales for Blu-rays for people paying premium...having same content for both versions won't do that which is why they focus on giving exclusive content.

People were complaining the same situation with VHS and DVD...crying on how DVD always has more extras than VHS, and so on.
Just to clarify I buy the Blu Rays and have done since they started releasing them.

I was just trying to make the point that instead of taking 9 hours of DVD content and adding exclusive footage for the BDs they have reduced the content on the DVDs so that they can add exclusive footage while keeping them 2 disc sets. If they had kept the 9 hours and made the BDs 3 discs they could of added an extra hour per disc which would be even more incentive for people to buy them over the DVDs. As it is now the BD sets with added exclusive content contain less footage than most of the DVD sets did a few years ago.
Old 01-19-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by platt222
Just to clarify I buy the Blu Rays and have done since they started releasing them.

I was just trying to make the point that instead of taking 9 hours of DVD content and adding exclusive footage for the BDs they have reduced the content on the DVDs so that they can add exclusive footage while keeping them 2 disc sets. If they had kept the 9 hours and made the BDs 3 discs they could of added an extra hour per disc which would be even more incentive for people to buy them over the DVDs. As it is now the BD sets with added exclusive content contain less footage than most of the DVD sets did a few years ago.
Retail cost would have to be higher on the BD version if it was a 3 disc set. Blank Blu-ray discs cost a lot more than blank DVD's-it's that simple. Does anyone know if they use BD-25 or BD-50 discs for their stuff?
Old 01-19-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks like about as good a set as I would have hoped. The truth is, because Rocky was in his prime in '98-'01, it's difficult to find any matches that aren't filled with the scratch WWF logo. As a result, most of this stuff is going to be blurred horribly.

-too many repeats: Rock/Mankind, Rock/Austin, Rock/HHH already on prominent sets.

-Nice gems in Rock/Flair and Rock/Hogan II.

-Why waste space on his opening promo from WM XXVII? Anyone who buys a Rock anthology probably already owns WM XXVII.

-Glad to see the inclusion of the recent SS tag match.

-WWE needs to focus on releasing gems, instead of obvious inclusions.
Old 01-19-12, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Retail cost would have to be higher on the BD version if it was a 3 disc set. Blank Blu-ray discs cost a lot more than blank DVD's-it's that simple. Does anyone know if they use BD-25 or BD-50 discs for their stuff?
They use BD-50.
Old 01-19-12, 02:09 PM

Well that Rock set is a bit underwhelming, I'm not bothered about getting that.
Old 01-19-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by platt222
They use BD-50.
Good to know. I'd be down for a BD-25 for the 1st disc with the documentary and then 2 BD-50's full of matches and promos. That is probably how they should do it. The regular DVD versions would end up needing to have less content, but that should be the perk of going BD in the first place the way I see it.
Old 01-22-12, 03:44 PM

I got a little bored today, so I made a cover for a WWE DVD I would like to see released: WWE Attitude: Uncut and Uncensored.

What are the matches and segment you would like to see on this set, if it was ever released by WWE?

I would like to see: Rock vs Triple H (Iron Man), Stone Cold vs Taker (Fully Loaded 99), Cactus and Funk in the dumpster, Austin/Taker vs Foley/Kane (Fully Loaded 98), Skin to Win Bikini Contest (Fully Loaded 98), Patterson/Brisco vs Mean Street Posse (May 10 1999), Stone Cold as CEO at Titan Towers, Vince Wins WWE Title, Tag Team Buried Alive Match (SD), Good Housekeeping Match, 10-Man Tag (w/ Radicalz) Raw Feb 2000, *ending with the Austin turn at WM X7

What would everyone like to see?
Old 01-22-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to see an Attitude Era anthology, the problem is that it would be BLURRED to hell. Worst era for re-release. That's one of the big reasons I'm such a fan of WCW releases -- few in existence, and obviously no blurring.
Old 01-22-12, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I would love to see an Attitude Era anthology, the problem is that it would be BLURRED to hell. Worst era for re-release. That's one of the big reasons I'm such a fan of WCW releases -- few in existence, and obviously no blurring.
WWE has gotten much better at blurring recently, it is so much less noticeable than 3-5 years ago when they had those huge blocks which covered all three turnbuckles. I agree WWE need to go and edit the footage specifically for a release like this. I believe if done correctly (give it 5 discs 1 with a doc and 4 with matches and moments - 14ish hours) then marketed and pushed correctly too without a doubt it could be their biggest DVD ever!
Old 01-22-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by md2810
WWE has gotten much better at blurring recently, it is so much less noticeable than 3-5 years ago when they had those huge blocks which covered all three turnbuckles. I agree WWE need to go and edit the footage specifically for a release like this. I believe if done correctly (give it 5 discs 1 with a doc and 4 with matches and moments - 14ish hours) then marketed and pushed correctly too without a doubt it could be their biggest DVD ever!
Mark, I couldn't agree with you more on the blurring thing...they need to tone that down somewhat as it makes it look like an eyesoar to watch on top of the pumped up roars of the crowd. At times, it just makes it impossibe to hear what the announcers are saying before, during and after the matches but great cover art and hoping tey can incorporate a little of each organization they own too.
Old 01-22-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree...the blurring is not too bad now. I say the worst was the Wrestlemania Anthology...especially 15-18, those were just eye sores. It was basically squares, rectangles, ovals covering the logo which jitter and shake, surprised it didn't cause seizures.

The later anthologies and other releases were treated much better, the blurs were blended in the logo which made the viewing much more easier on the eyes.
Old 01-23-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which matches/sets, specifically?

The only instance I've seen where the blurring was almost completely unnoticeable was on the first "Ladder Match" set, during the first TLC match at SummerSlam 2000. I remember watching it and thinking that it would be blurred to hell, but if you watch, you can hardly see it.

Most of the matches from '98-'00 on the recent King of the Ring set were pretty blurred, so that was why I was wondering which sets were not.
Old 01-23-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand why Vince is still stingy with the WCW footage. Even last year's WCW set was weak, and never showed me how the red NWO was formed, a storyline that I always wondered about.
Old 01-23-12, 11:52 AM

Which matches/sets, specifically?

The only instance I've seen where the blurring was almost completely unnoticeable was on the first "Ladder Match" set, during the first TLC match at SummerSlam 2000. I remember watching it and thinking that it would be blurred to hell, but if you watch, you can hardly see it.

Most of the matches from '98-'00 on the recent King of the Ring set were pretty blurred, so that was why I was wondering which sets were not.

You can really see the difference between the blurring on the Stone Cold set, watch like SummerSlam 98 and Raw match vs Big Show compared with WrestleMania X7 vs Rock - the difference is so clear. Check it out and let us know what you think.

If Vince wasn't an asshole and didn't violate or cleared up the issues with the Wildlife Fund, they wouldn't have to blur anything!
Old 01-23-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vince got stupid and greedy and the Wildlife Fund was willing to work with him but he thought he could get away with doing this and it cost him dearly and now a lot of these DVD sets with the old WWF footage is just a mess with all the blurring and now with the pumped up crowd noise factored in.
Old 01-23-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
Vince got stupid and greedy and the Wildlife Fund was willing to work with him but he thought he could get away with doing this and it cost him dearly and now a lot of these DVD sets with the old WWF footage is just a mess with all the blurring and now with the pumped up crowd noise factored in.
From what i understand WWE still own the unedited master tapes of all their footage, scratch logo and all. They just can't release them like that now without consequences.
Old 01-23-12, 11:47 PM

I have a quick question about the recent Stone Cold set that came out. One of the features on it says "Raw – Jan. 19, 1998 Tyson and Austin!". Does this show the entire segment or is it just a highlight package?
Old 01-24-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I remember correctly, it was the entire segment.
Old 01-24-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure everyone already figured this, but I hadn't seen it specifically mentioned so I wanted to confirm that the UK Hell in a Cell 2011 Blu-ray works perfectly. I guess they all will going forward now. Good stuff.
Old 01-24-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I'm sure everyone already figured this, but I hadn't seen it specifically mentioned so I wanted to confirm that the UK Hell in a Cell 2011 Blu-ray works perfectly. I guess they all will going forward now. Good stuff.
Agreed...definitely great news for collectors outside of Europe that want to collect these Blu-rays that WWE refuses to release here.

At least we still get Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania, so i'm definitely going to import the ones not being released here. Looking forward to getting Survivor Series and TLC.
Old 02-01-12, 10:10 PM

Got my firmware update on my Sony Blu Ray player and after downloading it, Best of the WWE PPV MATCHES disc 2 plays perfectly. If it does not play on your player, you may want to look into updating your firmware (contact your blu-ray manufacturer)
Old 02-02-12, 03:19 PM

So on Colt Cabana's podcast this week, CM Punk revealed that his 3-disc DVD has been green lit by WWE and that he is in complete, full, 100% total control of the content. He said he's "already pissed people off" with some of his choices and requests for the DVD, and that many of his friends who are in bands will help him with the music in the set rather than using "crappy bands like Switchfoot" that WWE uses.

Sounds like this will be a completely awesome set.
Old 02-02-12, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by will94
So on Colt Cabana's podcast this week, CM Punk revealed that his 3-disc DVD has been green lit by WWE and that he is in complete, full, 100% total control of the content. He said he's "already pissed people off" with some of his choices and requests for the DVD, and that many of his friends who are in bands will help him with the music in the set rather than using "crappy bands like Switchfoot" that WWE uses.

Sign me up. I'm not as easy to piss off as a WWE suit hell bent on mediocrity.
Old 02-03-12, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by will94

I wonder how pissed off anyone could really get about his choices ... What'd he do, pick one dvd to have EVERY match he's ever had with John Morrison?

If only he meant that he demanded that some of his IWA-MS matches be on there ... Hello, Punk/ Hero 90 min in hi-def!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.