DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I really want the KOTR set but no Owen would mean no sale. I'll have to wait until I hear confirmation about Owen in it.
I agree
Old 11-03-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that lawsuit with his widow is still going on, don't think the chances are good for any of his matches will show up on the DVD, unless she gets paid an extra stipend for the usage of his images from those matches, but i always thought WWE owned his image and likeness on their matches. This set wouldn't be complete unless some of Owen's matches were on it.
Old 11-03-11, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmw650
If that lawsuit with his widow is still going on, don't think the chances are good for any of his matches will show up on the DVD, unless she gets paid an extra stipend for the usage of his images from those matches, but i always thought WWE owned his image and likeness on their matches. This set wouldn't be complete unless some of Owen's matches were on it.
No, his wife does, and I think the lawsuit was they could not agree on anything, we will see and seriously, Bret with his crown on is awful, Owen is better!
Old 11-04-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Match listing for The Best of the King of the Ring:

The Noble Scroll

King of the Ring Finals Match
Bret ‘Hit Man’ Hart vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
King of the Ring 13th June, 1993

Kings and Champions

WWE Championship Match
Hulk Hogan vs. Yokozuna
King of the Ring 13th June, 1993

Owen Hart vs. Razor Ramon
King of the Ring 19th June, 1994

A True King

Kiss My Foot Match
Bret ‘Hit Man’ Hart vs. Jerry “The King” Lawler
King of the Ring 25th June, 1995

Intercontinental Championship Match
Goldust vs. Ahmed Johnson
King of the Ring 23rd June, 1996

New Breed of Royalty

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts

Mark of Distinction

WWE Championship Match
Shawn Michaels vs. British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Shawn Michaels
King of the Ring 8th June, 1997

Blue Blood

Triple H vs. Mankind
King of the Ring 8th June, 1997

Ken Shamrock vs. The Rock
King of the Ring 28th June, 1998

A Night in Hell

Hell in a Cell Match
Undertaker vs. Mankind
King of the Ring 28th June, 1998

Electrifying Champion

WWE Championship Match
Undertaker vs. The Rock
King of the Ring 27th June, 1999

6 Man Tag Match for the WWE Championship
Triple H, Mr. McMahon & Shane McMahon vs. The Rock, Undertaker & Kane
King of the Ring 25th June, 2000

Rikishi vs. Kurt Angle
King of the Ring 25th June, 2000

King Kurt

Light Heavyweight Championship Match
Jeff Hardy vs. X-Pac
King of the Ring 24th June, 2001

Edge vs. Kurt Angle

Street Fight

Street Fight
Shane McMahon vs. Kurt Angle

Rob Van Dam vs. Brock Lesnar
King of the Ring 23rd June, 2002

Hulk Hogan vs. Kurt Angle

Bobby Lashley vs. Booker T
Judgment Day 21st May, 2006

All Hail King Booker!

CM Punk vs. William Regal
Monday Night Raw 21st April, 2008

John Morrison vs. Sheamus
Monday Night Raw 29th November, 2010

Majestic Memories

Blu-ray Exclusive Content:

King of the Ring Semi-Finals Match
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Wildman Marc Mero

WWE Championship Match
Triple H vs. Undertaker

King of the Ring Opening Round Match
Kurt Angle vs. Randy Orton
SmackDown 14th April, 2006

King of the Ring Semi-Finals Match
CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho
Monday Night Raw 21st April, 2008

King of the Ring Quarter-Finals Match
Alberto Del Rio vs. Daniel Bryan
Monday Night RawW 29th November, 2010
Will comment later.
Old 11-04-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually looks pretty good...but i would rather replace Bret Hart vs. Jerry Lawler from 1995 with Bret Hart vs. Diesel from 1994. I don't think WWE has released that match on DVD.
Old 11-04-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Overall, I think it's a pretty good list. It's not perfect, but I'm leaning more towards buying it than not.

The Negatives:
-No Hart/Ramon match from 1993. The first match of the first televisted KOTR tournament, and the only one of the three matches Hart had that night that isn't already on DVD.

-No Hart/Diesel from 1994. To my best knowledge, this is also the only Hart/Diesel ppv match that isn't available on DVD. RR '95 and Survivor Series '95 are available, is the cage match from early '96 on DVD, too?

The Positives:
-"Kiss My Foot" is the definitive Hart/Lawler match in the one of the best feuds from the mid '90s.

-Probably buying this for Hogan/Angle alone. Years ago, I bought KOTR '02 just for that match, but it was such a horrible ppv that I had to get rid of it. Now I can own that match without the stench of the rest of the ppv. A "dream" match if there ever was one.

-Lashley/Booker in the beginning of Booker's reign.

-Always down for a Regal/Punk match, even if it is 5 minutes long.

-UT/HHH from KOTR '02 may be one of the worst matches ever, but it's still Undertaker vs. Triple H for the WWE Championship, so I'm actually happy to see it there.

-So nice to see Angle/Orton there, honestly didn't expect that they would. This was their first match.

-Punk/Jericho AND that gem between Del Rio and DB? Yeah, I'm good.

The more I write about it, the more I realize that this is actually a damn good looking set, so now I'm almost definitely buying it.
Old 11-04-11, 03:56 PM

The KOTR DVD is a bit of a let down. How comes there is no footage of the pre-93 kings like Race, Savage, Duggan and Haku. I know that footage of the early tournaments doesn't exist, but they could have included some matches featuring them. They are in the trailer after all!
Old 11-04-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would have been nice to have a few more of Owen's matches but overall, not a bad listing.
Old 11-05-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I correct myself: Bret Hart vs. Bam Bam Bigelow has never been released on DVD before, either. I was confusing that match with the Hart/Bigelow match in Barcelona that was on Hart's DVD.
Old 11-05-11, 01:33 PM

I won't be getting that as I have all the PPV events on Tagged Classics, would any of you pay full price just for 3 or 4 matches you don't have? I don't think I'd ever do that, seems ridiculous.
Old 11-05-11, 03:50 PM

Being that it is a KOTR dvd, you would think that EVERY KOTR finals would be included, no matter how bad it was.
Old 11-05-11, 04:48 PM
Banned

Very happy that Owen is on it but I wish they would include the
match against 123 Kid, that was a great match! 1 match with Owen is better than no matches with Owen!
Old 11-05-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But watch his widow bitch and complain that he's being used on the set.
Old 11-05-11, 06:53 PM

But watch his widow bitch and complain that he's being used on the set.
I understand that she "bitch[ed] an complained" because she/his estate were/are not getting royalties for the use of his likeness. The Hart Family Anthology in particular kicked it off as Owen was featured very prominently thought the set as well as to promote it, and after receiving no royalties from it you could understand why Martha tried to get the set banned in Canada.

I think people are really to hard on Martha Hart, her husband died doing a job she never liked; I think that you can understand why she would be bitter towards it. I think eventually she could warm to the business and allow Owen's memory to be honoured by his fans. And have WWE done right by her right?
Old 11-06-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by md2810
I understand that she "bitch[ed] an complained" because she/his estate were/are not getting royalties for the use of his likeness. The Hart Family Anthology in particular kicked it off as Owen was featured very prominently thought the set as well as to promote it, and after receiving no royalties from it you could understand why Martha tried to get the set banned in Canada.

I think people are really to hard on Martha Hart, her husband died doing a job she never liked; I think that you can understand why she would be bitter towards it. I think eventually she could warm to the business and allow Owen's memory to be honoured by his fans. And have WWE done right by her right?
But Mark, I don't understand something here...why is she re-suing the WWE to begin with after she and them agreed to a 17 million dollar settlement back in 2000 after that horrific tragedy that claimed his life? Was part of the settlement involving and including the rights to his likeness and imagery or matches or a combination of both? I mean, if she and they settled on a figure, she shouls just abide by the agreement she signed off on and not try and make extra money off him as those matches, from what i heard, is the intellectual property of the WWE and McMahon.
Old 11-07-11, 04:30 PM

But Mark, I don't understand something here...why is she re-suing the WWE to begin with after she and them agreed to a 17 million dollar settlement back in 2000 after that horrific tragedy that claimed his life? Was part of the settlement involving and including the rights to his likeness and imagery or matches or a combination of both? I mean, if she and they settled on a figure, she shouls just abide by the agreement she signed off on and not try and make extra money off him as those matches, from what i heard, is the intellectual property of the WWE and McMahon.
As I understand the 2000 lawsuit was just about the accident as WWE filed suits against the harness manufacturer and possibly someone else? As I understood the latest dealt with WWE exploiting Owens likeness without recompensing his estate. Yes it is WWEs footage and they are able to use as they see fit however they also pay royalties to many (not all) of the performers on their releases, and Owen never recieved anything. I maybe wrong but that was how I understood it.

WWE also has legal issues with Andre the Giant's estate at the moment. I'm not sure what that one is about. Guess they'll be no Andre set anytime soon. Shame I would like to see an indeph Andre documentary
Old 11-07-11, 04:53 PM
Banned

As I understand the 2000 lawsuit was just about the accident as WWE filed suits against the harness manufacturer and possibly someone else? As I understood the latest dealt with WWE exploiting Owens likeness without recompensing his estate. Yes it is WWEs footage and they are able to use as they see fit however they also pay royalties to many (not all) of the performers on their releases, and Owen never recieved anything. I maybe wrong but that was how I understood it.

WWE also has legal issues with Andre the Giant's estate at the moment. I'm not sure what that one is about. Guess they'll be no Andre set anytime soon. Shame I would like to see an indeph Andre documentary
I do not care about documentary but I would like to see Andre's rare matches or something like that
Old 11-07-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't know about the Andre the Giant suit...Man, WWE needs to step up and re-imburse those talents for which they utilize their likenesses for. Hence, why we don't hear or see Ventura on any more of these releases.
Old 11-07-11, 10:20 PM
Banned

I do not blame people for being too hard on Martha because she is trying to erase Owen's history of wrestling just like he never existed or something
Old 11-09-11, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by VikingsSooners
I do not blame people for being too hard on Martha because she is trying to erase Owen's history of wrestling just like he never existed or something
But you do realize that pro wrestling is not the end-all be-all of the world and some people don't like it. In Martha's case, it's very understandable why she hates the WWE.
Old 11-09-11, 10:04 PM

I'm surprised to see any Owen stuff on there since Waltman said his match with Owen wasn't included due to the estate issue.
Old 11-10-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SteveOVig
But you do realize that pro wrestling is not the end-all be-all of the world and some people don't like it. In Martha's case, it's very understandable why she hates the WWE.
Exactly.
Old 11-11-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingsSooners
I do not care about documentary but I would like to see Andre's rare matches or something like that
I love watching clips on Andre in his younger days, when he could really move for a big guy.
Old 11-11-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD/Blu-ray covers for Best PPV matches 2011 and Best of RAW & Smackdown 2011 are revealed:

Best PPV matches 2011

Best of RAW & Smackdown 2011

Credit: WWEDVDNews.com
Old 11-11-11, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sg2386
DVD/Blu-ray covers for Best PPV matches 2011 and Best of RAW & Smackdown 2011 are revealed:

Best PPV matches 2011

Best of RAW & Smackdown 2011

Credit: WWEDVDNews.com
Awful covers!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.