Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Fantastic looking set only thing I'm not a big fan of is them jumping all over the place time wise would rather it was in order so you could really see how the style has progressed over the years
Old 09-09-10, 10:42 AM

That looks BRILLIANT. Will pre order this when I can.
Old 09-09-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
That's probably as low as it'll ever be.
I was interested in getting it before, but for that price, I just might.
Well it could like the Wrestlemania 26 Blu-Ray and be like $3.00 cheaper at Wal-Mart
online (free shipping to store) when they are allowed to sell it. Of course that will be
three months or so down the line and since its Wal-Mart thats a MMV situation.
Watch you wait for it to be cheaper and it never comes to be and your screwed.
I would just pay the $3.00 more now and get it right now when you can.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 09-09-10 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 11:01 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

high flyers looks great - i was hoping for tiger mask vs dynamite kid but overall i'm happy with all the never released content
Old 09-09-10, 11:01 AM

That High Flighers listing is absolutely awesome. Love the Superstars/HeAT rare matches on there. My minor gripe is that I'm sick of seeing that Shelton/HBK match, but other than that, it's awesome. Definite pre-order from me.
Old 09-09-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

WOW the High Fliers set looks amazing. I like they they are including Superstars matches becasue there were some good bouts on there. i would love to see the Christian and Paul Burchill matches make it to DVD or BR
Old 09-09-10, 11:24 AM

Well that's not a bad list, but why Alex Wright vs. Brian Pillman from GAB 95?!?! That match is not good, I just watched a month ago. I still say Pillman vs. Liger should have been the match for Pillman, even if it was from the first Nitro in 95. That would have been better than Pillman vs. Wright.

RVD vs. Jerry Lynn from Sunday Night Heat is horrible!! Does anyone not remember that match?? It was only like 5 minutes long!! From what Jerry Lynn said in his shoot interview, they wrestled for like 15 minutes (which he even said wasn't long enough) but they edited it down to like 6 minutes and some odd seconds to air on Heat.

I know a lot of people will mark out for this dvd because of matches they haven't seen. But I have practically every match on this dvd because I have every WWE, WCW and ECW ppv/super show already from years of collection and tape trading. So I am definitely gonna pass on this dvd for my collection.
Old 09-09-10, 02:45 PM

very pleased with high flyers, lots of non wwe stuff

pro's
-i counted 7 wcw matches from 96-98 period, lots of great matches and from the best guys, plus alex wright and la parka were funny as heck and bring back some great memories from the 90s, they were a part of that scene and im glad they included them along with others
-sabu vs rvd GAC 2000 always wanted this match on dvd, there last match in old ecw, they always had great encounters and on bloodsport and other titles they released a few of there early stuff its nice to see this on here
-eddie vs dean from ecw they released there farewell match so its nice to see this one

con's
-shelton/hbk wrestlemania tlc match hbk/vader scorpio/sabu rey/eddie all these matches have been previously released not just as ppv, but on best of, alot of time is taking up by these matches
especially rey/eddie havoc 97, if your a high flying fan you probably own or should own eddie's or rey dvd, so why put it on again, makes no sense

overall though im happy, one of the best releases bar none, for the fact that they gave wcw/ecw/japan the respect and time they deserve, it wasn't just filled with recent stuff and ignore the past like they always do
Old 09-09-10, 05:33 PM

WWE are never going to be able to release the perfect set for everyone until they add another 3 or 4 discs, but on the whole I think this one looks really strong. The only matches I would like to see switched would be the Triangle Ladder Match, the Guido/Crazy/Tajiri three way and the Shawn vs Vader match, I would have preferred the Hardys vs Edge/Christian ladder match from the first Raw on TNN/SpikeTV, the same three way from Anarchy Rulz 99 (or a Tajiri/Mikey Whipwreck vs FBi match, like the one from Massacre on 34th Street) and Shawn Michaels vs Al Snow with a mask (Shinobi) from Raw or Superstars in 96.
But overall a great set, absolutely a pre-order. Can't wait!
Old 09-09-10, 08:03 PM

The only SummerSlam 2010 DVD extra is Josh Mathews interviewing Daniel Bryan

Another reason to get the Blu Ray edition me thinks.
Old 09-09-10, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by chocoboy87
The only SummerSlam 2010 DVD extra is Josh Mathews interviewing Daniel Bryan

Another reason to get the Blu Ray edition me thinks.
I was hoping that something like that would be an extra. I'm a Danielson mark, so any feature time he gets makes me a happy camper.

I'll be using my $10 reward one certificate to pick it up cheap Tuesday.
Old 09-09-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to Amazon.ca, the Hell in a Cell ppv will be on Blu-ray,

http://www.amazon.ca/Wwe-2010-Hell-C...4086212&sr=1-3

Some reports said it was scrapped for Bragging Rights but now looks like both events will be on Blu-ray.
Old 09-09-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Im glad that most of the PPVs are getting BR releases now. I never bought PPVs on DVD but I think I will on BR

Does anyone have a list of all the Blu-Rays WWE has released to date and what is coming soon, Thanks

Last edited by JJE-187; 09-09-10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 10:57 PM

Best of Smackdown vs. RAW (1 Disc)
Best Pay-Per-View Matches 2009-2010 (2 Disc)
Royal Rumble 2010 (2 Disc)
Wrestlemania XXIV (2 Disc)
Wrestlemania 25 (2 Disc)
Wrestlemania XXVI (3 Disc)

Upcoming:
Summerslam 2010 (2 Disc)
Hell in a Cell 2010
Bragging Rights 2010
The John Cena Experience (2 Disc)

Royal Rumble 2009 & Summerslam 2009 was released in the UK via Silvervision, but they're region locked.

EDIT: Fixed WM26, thanks to sg2386. I own that and yet it slipped my mind, lol.

Last edited by ShadyLPete; 09-10-10 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShadyLPete
Best of Smackdown vs. RAW (1 Disc)
Best Pay-Per-View Matches 2009-2010 (2 Disc)
Royal Rumble 2010 (2 Disc)
Wrestlemania XXIV (2 Disc)
Wrestlemania 25 (2 Disc)
Wrestlemania XXVI (2 Disc)

Upcoming:
Summerslam 2010 (2 Disc)
Hell in a Cell 2010
Bragging Rights 2010
The John Cena Experience (2 Disc)

Royal Rumble 2009 & Summerslam 2009 was released in the UK via Silvervision, but they're region locked.
WM26 is 3 disc, even from stores like Walmart and Amazon. The 3rd disc is not a Best Buy exclusive.

Was disappointed to find out RR 2009 and SS 2009 were region locked. Would definitely have imported those if it were region free. Makes sense since even WWE/WWF DVD were (and still are) region locked.
Old 09-09-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when wwe shows raw, smackdown, heat or nitro (or superstars) match on dvd, do they show the full match as happened, or as aired (meaning slots for commercials if they were there)
Old 09-10-10, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
when wwe shows raw, smackdown, heat or nitro (or superstars) match on dvd, do they show the full match as happened, or as aired (meaning slots for commercials if they were there)
For the most part it's as they aired. They fade out to black then fade in.
Old 09-10-10, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ShadyLPete
For the most part it's as they aired. They fade out to black then fade in.
Wasn't the 'New and Improved DX' DVD an exception to this?
Old 09-10-10, 09:07 AM

I suppose they don't air the footage replaced with commercials, becuase there wouldn't be any commentary on it. The version of the RVD Vs Jerry Lynn match from Heat on the High Flyers DVD is probably the extra extra rare version, as I can't see them showing the US - MTV live from WWF New York commentary version of it, or even the UK Channel 4 version. It will probably be the version aired in Australia that we will get.
Old 09-10-10, 11:28 PM

The Highest Flyers set definitely looks like one of the years best (if not one of the best ever) from WWE! I always love when they include a mix of well known matches and random ones, and this listing doesn't disappoint. A few quick observations...

- I'm very happy that Sabu has two ECW matches in the set. The guy is one of my all-time favorites and I will always prop him when I get the chance. I haven't watched the Sabu -vs- Scorpio match in ages, so that'll be a nice trip down memory lane.

-Snuka vs Samu is nice and obscure, so I'm intrigued to check it out.

-Ultimo Dragon, Juvy and Taka Michinoku are sprinkled all over the place, which is great! Hardys vs Kaientai from Heat sounds like fun, as does the WCW Lucha 6-man

The RVD vs Lynn hardcore match is a little out there as a selection, but I would love it being included if they could somehow produce the entire match instead of the clipped one that aired. Probably wishful thinking, but you never know

Kofi vs Christian is a great recent match and I'm happy they threw it on here! Christian was on a major roll in mid-2010

Great Muta vs Sting = Nice....Guerrero vs Malenko in ECW = Double NICE!

There's a lot more here that I like, but I do have some mild criticisms as well...

-To the person that mentioned Dynamite Kid -vs Tiger Mask, I agree 100% that they should've been featured here. It's a no-brainer and their matches were in many ways the genesis of the high flying style. It's probably the biggest omission along with no Jushin Liger (c'mon!) and...

-No Owen Hart!?! I figure this has something to do with the lawsuit from Owen's ex-wife. But this set is feels a lot less essential without the King of Harts involved. One of his early Blue Blazer matches would've been tremendous!

-I also agree with whoever said that the Tajiri -vs- Super Crazy -vs- Guido match should've been pulled from an older ECW show. They really pulled out all the stops back in the day. But I do like the One Night Stand match perfectly fine

-A few more things that were left out...Great Sasuke -vs Taka from Canadian Stampede (This is the logical place for that match to land on DVD, since I don't believe it's available elsewhere).
-With the huge year that Randy Savage has had on DVD, I was crossing my fingers that they'd find some unreleased Savage/Steamboat gem to include. Because let's face it, I could have Savage/Steamboat on ever DVD I own and be happy!
-I kinda thought an Essa Rios match would've snuck on somewhere

-Why is there a Chavo vs Noble match here? Anybody actually recall this match? And was it any good?

-It seems like the 3-way ladder match from Wrestlemania and Rey/Eddy has been overexposed on these DVD sets. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic matches. But a little something different in there place would've been just fine.

All in all, I am majorly stoked to check this out!
Old 09-11-10, 03:20 AM

^ About Essa Rios, I thought his match with Jeff Hardy from a February 2000 Smackdown would have been on here. I think the Chavo/Jamie Noble match could have been replaced by a nice rare Dean Malenko WCW bout as well.
Old 09-11-10, 07:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Owen Hart isn't probably included due to the current lawsuit Martha has against WWE.
Old 09-11-10, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dillkid
^ About Essa Rios, I thought his match with Jeff Hardy from a February 2000 Smackdown would have been on here. I think the Chavo/Jamie Noble match could have been replaced by a nice rare Dean Malenko WCW bout as well.
Didn't Rios and Low Ki have a TV match at one point back in the day? That would've ruled it as a DVD extra!

I'd be fine with a Malenko match in the place of Chavo/Noble. But it'd have to be against an actual high flyer since Dean really doesn't fit the bill as one himself. That said, he was a tremendous compliment to most of the aerial wrestlers he faced.

And I almost forgot about another guy who should be featured somewhere on the set...Blitzkrieg. I mean even though his career was brief, he was one of the most spectacular high spot guys in WCW. A quick little 5-minute Blitzkrieg showcase from Nitro or Thunder would've made for a great bonus match.
Old 09-11-10, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by SlayJ
Didn't Rios and Low Ki have a TV match at one point back in the day? That would've ruled it as a DVD extra!

I'd be fine with a Malenko match in the place of Chavo/Noble. But it'd have to be against an actual high flyer since Dean really doesn't fit the bill as one himself. That said, he was a tremendous compliment to most of the aerial wrestlers he faced.

And I almost forgot about another guy who should be featured somewhere on the set...Blitzkrieg. I mean even though his career was brief, he was one of the most spectacular high spot guys in WCW. A quick little 5-minute Blitzkrieg showcase from Nitro or Thunder would've made for a great bonus match.
Yes, Rios/Low Ki had a match in 2001 on Jakked/Metal. Blitzkrieg Vs Juventud from WCW Spring Stampede 1999 was brilliant as well.
Old 09-12-10, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by dillkid
Yes, Rios/Low Ki had a match in 2001 on Jakked/Metal. Blitzkrieg Vs Juventud from WCW Spring Stampede 1999 was brilliant as well.
Dillkid, I'm actually quite drunk and friggin' ridiculous as I type this, but you are my kind of wrestling fan! You remember the s**t that I don't (which pisses me off in a good way!). It's good to have intelligent wrestling fans fill in the blanks for crazy MoFos like me! Friggin' Blitzkrieg vs Juvy should be on this set without any question...probably TWICE! That's a MONEY call! F**k Chavo/Noble....add this PRONTO!

haha...it's cool. I still love the comp as is...but I could seriously get with two or three of the people that frequent this forum and come up with completely EPIC comps that the WWE brass just can't seem to figure out. Hell, I could even see myself working with the Chuck Liddell guy from here coming up with the essential Rise and Fall of WCW match listing. I'm drunk enough where I even trust THAT guy! Sure, my credibility is forever tainted now. But F**k IT, it's Pro Wrestling....if we can't have fun with this, what's truly left?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.