Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Old 05-21-10, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Silvervision has just uploaded the matches for the Ricky Steamboat DVD, heres what made the cut:

Disc 1:
Growing Up
Training
Travelling
Mid-Atlantic
The Dragon
WrestleMania III
World Champion
Fire Breathing Dragon
Mentoring
Hall of Fame
Legacy

Special Features:
Ricky’s First Car

Mike Graham Remembers Richard Blood

Ricky Forgets His Name

Having a Positive Attitude
World Wide Wrestling – February 16, 1982

Tuesday Night Titans – April 5, 1985

Steve Lombardi Remembers Ricky’s First Match in the WWE

The Body Shop
All-Star Wrestling – June 22, 1985

Becoming the Dragon… The Three Moments of Truth

Chris Jericho Meets Ricky Steamboat For The First Time

Tuesday Night Titans – September 10, 1986

Update with Gene Okerlund
Superstars – January 31, 1987

Dragon in the Oven
Superstars – April 11, 1987

Return from Japan
World Championship Wrestling – March 18, 1989

William Regal Remembers Watching Ricky Steamboat & Ric Flair

World Television Champion
WCW Saturday Night – September 19, 1992

Ricky Steamboat’s Induction into the WWE Hall of Fame – April 4, 2009

Disc 2:
NWA World Tag Team Championship Match
Jack & Gerry Brisco vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat & Jay Youngblood
Starrcade November 24, 1983

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs “Nature Boy” Ric Flair
Boogie Jam March 17, 1984
(Commentary by: Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat & Matt Striker)

Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Cowboy Bob Orton
Capital Centre July 20, 1985

Lumberjack Match
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. The Magnificent Don Muraco
Maple Leaf Gardens September 22, 1985

Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts
Boston Garden August 9, 1986

Intercontinental Championship Match
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Randy “Macho Man” Savage
WrestleMania III March 29, 1987
(Alternate Commentary by: Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat & Matt Striker)

Disc 3:

2 out of 3 Falls Match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. “Nature Boy” Ric Flair
Clash of the Champions VI April 2, 1989

United States Championship Match
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Lex Luger
The Great American Bash July 23, 1989

WCW World Tag Team Championship Match
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes vs. Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyzsko
Clash of the Champions XVII November 19, 1991

Iron Man Challenge Match
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Rick Rude
Beach Blast June 20, 1992

No Disqualification Match for the WCW World Television Championship
Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Steve Austin
Clash of the Champions XX September 2, 1992
(Alternate Commentary by: Ricky Steamboat & Matt Striker)

Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Chris Jericho
Backlash April 26, 2009
Old 05-21-10, 12:02 PM

Any validity to this at CD Universe - WrestleMania XXI Blu-ray at the end of August:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...37&style=movie
Old 05-21-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Steamboat DVD looks good, glad the included his one on one match with Jericho from Backlash 09. it's also cool that they are including alternate commentary on his WMIII match to make it different from the other 4-5 times it has been included on a DVD set. I remeeber seeing that Iron Man match with Rude on the VHS of Beach Blast and it was a great bout, that match made me a fan of real wrestling instead of the comic book cartoony stuff I was use to as a kid in the 80's
Old 05-21-10, 01:38 PM

Steamboat vs Savage from WMIII is a classic! Best Mania match ever IMO. I'll but it for that alone.
Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
Any validity to this at CD Universe - WrestleMania XXI Blu-ray at the end of August:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...37&style=movie
Best Buy has it for around $30.
Old 05-21-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Steamboat DVD looks good, glad the included his one on one match with Jericho from Backlash 09. it's also cool that they are including alternate commentary on his WMIII match to make it different from the other 4-5 times it has been included on a DVD set. I remeeber seeing that Iron Man match with Rude on the VHS of Beach Blast and it was a great bout, that match made me a fan of real wrestling instead of the comic book cartoony stuff I was use to as a kid in the 80's
Yeah I was glad to see it will have commentary for the reason you mentioned. I don't want to whine too much about what was left out but I was bummed to see the Steamboat/Youngblood vs. Slaughter/Kernodle cage match was not included. I have the match from back when Highspots briefly had it for sale in 2003 (before the WWE stepped in and claimed copyright) but it would have been nice to see it on an official release with Steamboat commentary. That was one of the all time great wrestling feuds from the territory days.

Glad to see the match vs. Flair from Greensboro in 84 will be on the set as I have never seen that one.

Any guesses or wishlist of who the next old school wrestler set should be? I wish they would release a best of the 80's type set where they could have matches from all of the territories they have footage from. A Von Erich set and Freebird set would be nice as well.
Old 05-21-10, 02:51 PM

Dragon Lee, I think the only WrestleManias available on Blu-ray are 24, 25, and 26.

CD Universe has a listing for WrestleMania 21 for the release date of Tuesday, August 31, 2010.
Old 05-21-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steamboat DVD sounds good.

Some great gems especially the Clash of Champions matches.
Old 05-21-10, 04:12 PM

I'm a bit dissapointed that the Starrcade 83 match, made it to DVD for like the third if fourth time, would have prefered the Starrcade 84 match with Tully. Also no matches from the 70s with Flair in Mid-Atlantic or even AWA or Florida (where he got the name Steamboat - I believe).
Ditto for the Slaughter/Kernoodle cage match (maybe that one will make a Slaughter set in the future).
No matches from the fire-breathing dragon era (1991).
I don't think the Jesse commentary will make the set, as the WM III match has new commentary (although he will be on the Beach Blast and COTC XX), guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by md2810; 05-21-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On "greed-bay" i noticed this seller has Best of AMW asking $400 and Best of 3 Live Kru asking $200.

I'm thinking of putting an offer in for kicks, it's crazy paying $400 for vintage Braden Walker.
Old 05-21-10, 06:04 PM

CD Universe has a listing for WrestleMania 21 for the release date of Tuesday, August 31, 2010.
21 on Blu? It was only shot in SD so I'm not sure about this. Also it says it will be 3 Discs. Mania 26 Blu was only 3 Discs because of the added Raw and SD episodes prior to the PPV, so that also makes me think this is a mistake.
Old 05-21-10, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by chocoboy87
21 on Blu? It was only shot in SD so I'm not sure about this. Also it says it will be 3 Discs. Mania 26 Blu was only 3 Discs because of the added Raw and SD episodes prior to the PPV, so that also makes me think this is a mistake.
I think it's likely a mistake as well. However, since WtestleMania X-Seven WWE has also shot every 'Mania on film which can be transferred to HD on Blu-ray. If you've ever noticed at every WrestleMania you'll see aditional camera men around with these giant film cameras. We usually see this footage used in highlight packages and also in this year's WrestleMania XXVI DVD commercial they used only film materail from the event. Film has a more rich and slightly slower look and feel to it and you can often see film grain (like when you're at the movie theater).

Like I said this has been done for every 'Mania since 2001 so I do see this as a slight possibility which would be really cool not only because we would get them in HD on Blu but also we get these events in a whole new perspective with completly new camera angles and a new feel. They could still throw the commentary in there also so it won't feel too strange. Not likely but one can hope.
Old 05-21-10, 07:29 PM

Elimination Chamber Anthology DVD listing has been released. Source: www.wrestlingepicenter.com

"Satan's Playground: The Elimination Chamber Anthology":

Disc one:

The Chamber is born.

Survivor Series 2002
Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam, Chris Jericho, Kane and Booker T

What makes the Chamber unique.

Summerslam 2003
Triple H, Goldberg, Chris Jericho, Kevin Nash, Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton

The King of Kings is King of the Chamber.

New Year's Revolution 2005
Triple H wins his third chamber in a row

Edge takes advantage.

New Years Revolution 2006
John Cena, Kurt Angle, Carlito, Kane, Chris Masters and Shawn Michaels

ECW takes center stage.

December to Dismember 2006
Bobby Lashley, CM Punk, Big Show, Test, Hardcore Holly and Rob Van Dam

The Monsters invade the Chamber.

No Way Out 2008
Undertaker, Big Daddy V, MVP, Batista, Finlay and Great Khali

No Way Out 2008
Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, JBL, Triple H, Shawn Michaels and Umaga

Disc Two:

Two is better than one.

No Way Out 2009
John Cena, Edge, Mike Knox, Rey Mysterio, Kane and Chris Jericho

No Way Out 2009
Edge, Big Show, Jeff Hardy, Undertaker, Vladimir Kozlov and Triple H

Shaping Wrestlemania

Elimination Chamber 2010
Sheamus, Ted Dibiase, Triple H, John Cena, Randy Orton and Kofi Kingston

Elimination Chamber 2010
Undertaker, Chris Jericho, John Morrison, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio and R-Truth

What's next ?

Bonus Content:

The Game speaks out on his signature match.

Elimination Chamber Qualifying match: Chris Jericho vs Carlito

Elimination Chamber Qualifying match: Shawn Michaels vs Kane

Elimination Chamber Qualifying match: Triple H vs Rob Van Dam

Elimination Chamber Qualifying match: Undertaker vs Mark Henry

As expected the 2005 NYR Chamber match is not shown in it's entirety for obvious reasons. By the way the chapter for that match appears to be an error stating "Triple H wins his third Chamber in a row" when in fact it was only the third Chamber match ever and Triple H's second Chamber win.

I wasn't really expecting extras but there are! And they look to be pretty good choices.

Every Chamber match on Disc 2 was in HD so maybe that disc will actually be in 16:9 format.

Also it's broken down into two discs. I thought for sure it would need three discs. Im not going to buy this one right away. I'll wait a year or two for the price to take a nice drop.

Last edited by hbkbiggestfan; 05-21-10 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by hbkbiggestfan
I think it's likely a mistake as well. However, since WtestleMania X-Seven WWE has also shot every 'Mania on film which can be transferred to HD on Blu-ray. If you've ever noticed at every WrestleMania you'll see aditional camera men around with these giant film cameras. We usually see this footage used in highlight packages and also in this year's WrestleMania XXVI DVD commercial they used only film materail from the event. Film has a more rich and slightly slower look and feel to it and you can often see film grain (like when you're at the movie theater).

Like I said this has been done for every 'Mania since 2001 so I do see this as a slight possibility which would be really cool not only because we would get them in HD on Blu but also we get these events in a whole new perspective with completly new camera angles and a new feel. They could still throw the commentary in there also so it won't feel too strange. Not likely but one can hope.
Yeah I've noticed the differing footage/camera angles in the video packages and always thought it looked cool. I figured they just shoot that at Mania to get different views of the matches and the fans in attendance to make video packages in the future not just look like the TV product alone.

That would be interesting to have released in full for each Mania but video taken up close by the ring for the duration may seem a bit weird - but who knows, might work. Maybe they had other cameras like this in different places in the area? Had no idea they were doing this since 2001. I'd love to see a different perspective of WM X-Seven!

I have my doubts but if this is something they would try I wonder why they'd go for 21 first. Only thing that comes to mind is the "Hollywood" theme the event had and the connection there with film.
Old 05-21-10, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by hbkbiggestfan
As expected the 2005 NYR Chamber match is not shown in it's entirety for obvious reasons. By the way the chapter for that match appears to be an error stating "Triple H wins his third Chamber in a row" when in fact it was only the third Chamber match ever and Triple H's second Chamber win.
Do you know for certain it's not the full match or are you just guessing because their is no competitors list like the others?
Old 05-21-10, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by platt222
Do you know for certain it's not the full match or are you just guessing because their is no competitors list like the others?
I don't know for sure 100% but I would say it's a 99.99999999% chance since it's THE ONLY match without listing the competitors. Now I know it could be that they just didn't want to list one person's name but why not list his name but yet show him in a full match? His name was listed on the SummerSlam anthology. Also there isn't any more room on disc 1 for that full match in addition to the rest of the contents of that disc

This combination is what makes me think it's pretty obvious that match is not shown in it's entirety. We won't know really until it's released though I guess...

Right now Im watching Best of PPV Matches 2009-2010 Blu-ray. I like the format. The history video packages are in-tact for the matches that had them. Also the PPV theme that was used for Edge/Hardy video package at Judgment Day is in-tact and not dubbed over with something generic. I don't know about the rest yet as Im still viewing. By the way WWE looks beautiful in HD and sounds amazing in 5.1 Dolby Digital on Blu-ray once again!

Last edited by hbkbiggestfan; 05-21-10 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 08:43 PM

With the exception of a few non released matches. That Ricky The Dragon Steamboat DVD is god awful. Most of the matches are all ready available on other DVD sets! What's the deal with these 9 hour DVD Sets with like 18 or less matches? You could easily cram 40+ matches on these DVD sets. I was so darn excited when I heard about this DVD set. I don't know what to think now huge let down. Anyway those are just my thoughts.
Old 05-21-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a good chance the 2005 Elimination Chamber is probably clipped. That listing is what you will find on the insert itself, if the match was complete it would have listed the competitors like the Summerslam Anthology having Benoit on there how hbkbiggestfan mentioned.
Old 05-21-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They could jump cut around Benoit, he was in for like half the match though but was the 2nd guy eliminated from the bout. He and Y2J started the bout
Old 05-22-10, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kaori00
With the exception of a few non released matches. That Ricky The Dragon Steamboat DVD is god awful. Most of the matches are all ready available on other DVD sets! What's the deal with these 9 hour DVD Sets with like 18 or less matches? You could easily cram 40+ matches on these DVD sets. I was so darn excited when I heard about this DVD set. I don't know what to think now huge let down. Anyway those are just my thoughts.
I'm on the fence myself about the Steamboat set. I don't have a problem with what's included (although it helps that certain well worn matches have alternate commentary). But I do think it's pretty underwhelming overall. I'm fine with the fact that Steamboat/Savage from WMIII is on there due to its important historical signifigance. Hell, nevermind the Steamboat collection...it should be on EVERY FRIGGIN' DVD set that WWE puts out (I mean, I'm kinda pissed that it's not on the Elimination Chamber collection myself). But I do agree that it would be great to have a broader range of matches on hand. I'm sure there's some long lost house show match against Savage floating around that would be great to see.

My main gripe is the lack of early Mid-Atlantic/NWA matches. Much like the recent Hart Family set, which had only ONE Stampede match featured on it(One! REALLY, Vince?), this is another case of WWE ignoring a BIG part of a wrestler's career. And besides, I'm a huge fan of random old matches. So, just for me, they should throw some in.

So, in closing, I'll be buying it. But it really could've been so much better.
Old 05-22-10, 02:12 AM

I am kind of shocked they didn't show Savage vs. Steamboat from a house show too. I know on Best of the WWF Vol. 9 there is a sweet match for the IC Title from Toronto between the two. Also, why isn't Ricky vs. Flair from Chi Town Rumble not on the set?? I know it was on Greatest Stars of the 80's and the Rise and Fall of WCW dvd I believe, but come on... Ricky's only World Title win isn't even on his own dvd set?!?! And that Clash of the Champions match isn't even that great. It's just mainly chops non stop and arm drags for like 60 minutes. It's on the Flair dvd anyhow.

I still can't believe they didn't show a Steamboat/Douglas vs. Hollywood Blondes match on this either. Or Steamboat vs. Austin from the Clash for the US Title. I don't know who is exactly in charge of putting together matches for the WWE dvd releases, but it makes you wonder if they even know any back ground history at all about said wrestler. It seems all they do is just pick random matches that they recognize certain guys in to put on the dvd sets.
Old 05-22-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jammer311
I still can't believe they didn't show a Steamboat/Douglas vs. Hollywood Blondes match on this either. Or Steamboat vs. Austin from the Clash for the US Title. I don't know who is exactly in charge of putting together matches for the WWE dvd releases, but it makes you wonder if they even know any back ground history at all about said wrestler. It seems all they do is just pick random matches that they recognize certain guys in to put on the dvd sets.
I think the Steamboat/Douglas vs. Hollywood Blondes is on the Legacy of Stone Cold DVD. If you mean the one from Slamboree 93 where Steamboat/Douglas were masked men called Dos Hombres. Not sure what other matches they had.
Old 05-22-10, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by sg2386
I think the Steamboat/Douglas vs. Hollywood Blondes is on the Legacy of Stone Cold DVD. If you mean the one from Slamboree 93 where Steamboat/Douglas were masked men called Dos Hombres. Not sure what other matches they had.
They had many matches!! Clash of the Champions in January 93 where Douglas gets busted open by the Blondes. Or the match from WCW Pro, or even the World Wide match where the Blondes won the Tag Belts from Steamboat/Douglas. As for the Slamboree match, it wasn't even Douglas in the match, he was already gone from WCW at that time. That was Tom Zenk or Brad Armstrong. I am not too sure which one it was because I heard both names used for the other Dos Hombre with Steamboat.
Old 05-22-10, 02:43 PM
Cool New Member

Hey guys didnt know if you'd be interested but my local walmart, had a three pack for 14 bucks, that included The dusty rhodes story, the life and times of mr. perfect, and the rise and fall of wcw. It only had the first discs of all of them, but im gonna go back and buy two of it, one to open and watch, and one to keep sealed and collect. im assuming it was just trying to get the documentarys out there. im excited to see if they release anymore of these. maybe like cena, hbk, and batista. or like awa, wccw, and ecw. stuff like that.

Also i think the undertaker dvd looks very good, except it doesnt include the hbk and taker 26 match. oh well i guess i just have to buy best of ppvs, or wrestlemania 26. also i wish they had put the tag team buried alive match on there from smackdown. the biker chain match with lesnar would have been a cool addition. and correct me if im wrong, but on one of those big show matches from raw in 99' didnt big show chokeslam taker through the ring? wish there was some american badass era matches. still looks good though. definatley gonna pick this up.

Steamboat dvd also looks very good. i agree that there should have been some unseen matches but oh well. im very much looking forward to this dvd. its a must buy. the ironman match with rude looks awesome, i wish they would have put some matches with sting on here. maybe even the wargames match against the dangerous alliance, or the match with regal at starrcade, but it still looks like a solid dvd.

Satans prison, looks like a very good dvd, but i definatleyt think it could have been a three disc, i mean theres four qualifying matches and its still a two disc. i sincerely hope they put the entire one from 2005 in it, but it wouldnt hurt the dvd that badly. I think they easily could have done a documentary for this dvd. i still wonder who hosts this dvd, if there is a host. maybe triple h, or maybe even hbk! that would be awesome. they could have even put more qualifying matches. there have probably been more qualifying matches than actual chamber matches. i only own two chamber matches so i'll definatly be picking this one up.

Really looking forward to ortons dvd, supposedly coming out in september (no comfirmation). its great that hes finally getting one, i know his is going to have a documentary, so there will be less matches. but i would love to see his first title win against rvd, unfortunatley there is no way they will put his first world title win on there because he beat benoit for the title, i wonder how they are going to aknowledge it on the documentary. still really excited for this one. But still gonna be a solid dvd, im sure his second title win against triple h will be on there, and maybe his match with jericho at armageddon. so definatley gonna get this one, unless they decide to be gay again and do a one disc like morrisons crap of a dvd.

Also in august we have best of raw 1993-1994. this is gonna be awesome! hopefully this leads to every year getting a dvd. hopefully they do this to smackdown too. it would be awesom if they did this to nitro, but unfortunatly they wont. although i have heard that they are toying around with the idea of a best of nitro dvd, so who knows.

Jericho kinda hinted at a dvd on his twitter the other day, well thats atleast how i took it

"Huge Jericho Week! Mon-Raw with Bret Hart Tues-new WWE project finalized n its about time... Wed-new book finished! Thur-huge audition in LA"

Thats what i took out of it, but hopefully! if that happened that would be amazing!

Also heard that punk might be getting a dvd this year, hope so, he is probably the most entertaining wrestler around today, especially on the mic. he made the rumble match awesome this year with just 9 minutes! he would have an awesome dvd even though hes only 4 years into his wwe run.
Old 05-22-10, 03:30 PM

Dragon Lee, I think the only WrestleManias available on Blu-ray are 24, 25, and 26.

Ahh, your right. I'm an idiot!
Old 05-22-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About damn time WWE decided to release a Jericho DVD.

This one could be amazing, given how much stuff they can actually put from Japan, ECW, WCW, WWF and current WWE, plus all the amazing promos.

Looks like another must have!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.