DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2010 Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 04-02-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: May 2010 Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor
Good points, I agree.

I think the Historical Challenge is pretty firmed up. It's for June, right? And will include at least all documentaris, bio pics, war, and western. Won't be 100% until the discussion thread irons out all the details later this month, but I think I can speak for MinL on the above basics.
Thanks. I updated the first post to include "Historical" as an Official Challenge.
Old 04-02-10, 09:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

wasn't an 'Animation' challenge in the running at one point - I'm tending to veer in that direction for 'my challenge' genre
Old 04-02-10, 09:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
wasn't an 'Animation' challenge in the running at one point - I'm tending to veer in that direction for 'my challenge' genre
Yeah, it's in Dimension's first post here. Animation Challenge is August.

I'm revoking your reading cred points!
Old 04-02-10, 09:25 PM

Yeah, it's in Dimension's first post here. Animation Challenge is August.

I'm revoking your reading cred points!

Old 04-03-10, 12:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've really been looking forward to this challenge, and have had a few ideas (most likely a boring (I'm not all that creative) get through one my complete series sets, since I'm horrible about that), but I might end up being gone for part of the month, so now I'm trying to think of a more broad thing, like as many 80's movies/tv shows I can get through.
Old 04-03-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my theme might be boring but needs to be done.

TV on DVD
i seriously need to get thru some tv series as iv collected and might possibly be the easiest challenge to get thru as i have, lost s1-5, Supernatural s1-4, Dexter s1-3, Fringe, Dollhouse that id love to finally sit thru
Old 04-04-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Themes that I'm currently considering:
  • Alfred Hitchcock movies
  • Summer Blockbusters
  • SNL- Seasons 1-4
  • Baseball Movies
  • Disney Tin Marathon
  • John Hughes Marathon
  • '80s Movies/TV Shows Marathon
  • Nightmare-A-Thon
  • DVD Profiler Collection Showcase or Movie Pick

and the slightly-less exciting:
  • Things on my DVR that I need to catch up on
  • DVDs/Blu-ray Discs that I own but have not watched yet
Old 04-04-10, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Themes that I'm currently considering:

and the slightly-less exciting:
  • Things on my DVR that I need to catch up on
I actually thought of that same theme last night, and figured it sounded kind of boring also, but I have an TivoHd, with the 1 TB hard drive added and it lately keeps nearing full with all the hd and even just regular shows backed up.
Old 04-05-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, according to post #1, there is no official comedy challenge on the schedule? If not, I'll probably get real creative and do that.
Old 04-05-10, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by jmsmath
So, according to post #1, there is no official comedy challenge on the schedule? If not, I'll probably get real creative and do that.
We've mentioned it in passing, but are nowhere close to an official Comedy Challenge yet.

I hope we have one someday, as it has lots of potential between movies and short and TV seasons.
Old 04-05-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by HyperWeather
I actually thought of that same theme last night, and figured it sounded kind of boring also, but I have an TivoHd, with the 1 TB hard drive added and it lately keeps nearing full with all the hd and even just regular shows backed up.
Wait until you get to the point where you have to transfer stuff onto your computer for more room.
Old 04-05-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, since Trevor has mandated that I go ahead and host June's History Challenge, I thought it might be prudent to note what I think that's going to cover. This way, if you're weighing a couple themes for the Make-Your-Own and one of them could count in June, you can spread them over both challenges.

The History Challenge
War - covers all aspect of warfare, from actual combat to civilian life affected by war to P.O.W.s.
Westerns - Due to the mythological nature of The Old West in our culture, historical accuracy is the least important here.
Bio-Pics/Documentaries - Can cover political figures, athletes, performing artists, etc. So, you could watch W. (George W. Bush), The Jackie Robinson Story (self-explanatory) and Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) and all would count under this umbrella because they were/are real people.

Also, I'm pretty sure the History Challenge will permit TV mini-series (HBO stuff like Band of Brothers and The Pacific come to mind, as well as Lonesome Dove, The Reagans, etc.).

So if any of these Based Upon Real People/Events themes are in the running for your Make-Your-Own idea, you can put them off until June and go with something else in May.

Myself, I'm thinking about a "Whatever My Wife Wants to Watch" challenge. Of course, getting her to actually choose something more than once a year is what makes that one challenging...! I might go with a baseball challenge, concentrating on purely fictitious movies that would be ineligible for the History Challenge (like Bad News Bears and Major League).
Old 04-05-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The History Challenge
War - covers all aspect of warfare, from actual combat to civilian life affected by war to P.O.W.s.
Westerns - Due to the mythological nature of The Old West in our culture, historical accuracy is the least important here.
Bio-Pics/Documentaries - Can cover political figures, athletes, performing artists, etc. So, you could watch W. (George W. Bush), The Jackie Robinson Story (self-explanatory) and Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) and all would count under this umbrella because they were/are real people.
Let me see if I'm understanding what you are saying properly. Any movie that has Western listed as it's genre on IMDB would be safe. Anything that has War listed would also need to be historically accurate? So, something like Inglourious Basterds would not qualify?
Old 04-05-10, 04:25 PM

Well, since Trevor has mandated that I go ahead and host June's History Challenge, I thought it might be prudent to note what I think that's going to cover. This way, if you're weighing a couple themes for the Make-Your-Own and one of them could count in June, you can spread them over both challenges.

The History Challenge

Also, I'm pretty sure the History Challenge will permit TV mini-series (HBO stuff like Band of Brothers and The Pacific come to mind, as well as Lonesome Dove, The Reagans, etc.).

So if any of these Based Upon Real People/Events themes are in the running for your Make-Your-Own idea, you can put them off until June and go with something else in May.

Myself, I'm thinking about a "Whatever My Wife Wants to Watch" challenge. Of course, getting her to actually choose something more than once a year is what makes that one challenging...! I might go with a baseball challenge, concentrating on purely fictitious movies that would be ineligible for the History Challenge (like Bad News Bears and Major League).
Mwahahaha My evil plan has worked.

I'm really looking forward to the History Challenge. I'll do all western at least this first year, war another year, and documentaries another.

Personally, I hope you allow all TV. There are some great western series (I'm watching Deadwood in June), shows like Bio, several great war series, etc.

I don't get the earlier posted thoughts on some Challenges staying film specific. To me, content is content, and x hours of movies equals x hours of TV. As long as it's close and we're sharing the month long experience with each other, then that's what a Challenge is all about. But just my opinion of course.

You may want to go to the Challenge thread and retract/edit your last post at some point....
Old 04-05-10, 04:29 PM

We should probably wait and have this discussion in either the Challenge compendium thread or in the History Challenge thread once MinL starts it.

Not that it all isn't slightly related and useful for planning here, but we should probably keep this thread focused on the May Challenge as much as possible.
Old 04-05-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

How about it being the "Historical Challenge" rather than "History Challenge". This is subtle, but "History" implies "true" while "Historical" just means "the past". It's purely semantic it puts less emphasis on "true" history and allows any period type film, like Westerns and Jane Austen.
Old 04-05-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmath
Let me see if I'm understanding what you are saying properly. Any movie that has Western listed as it's genre on IMDB would be safe. Anything that has War listed would also need to be historically accurate? So, something like Inglourious Basterds would not qualify?
We should probably wait and have this discussion in either the Challenge compendium thread or in the History Challenge thread once MinL starts it.
Yeah, I hadn't gotten that far with it. I only even mentioned it because I wanted to let folks know as they map out their Make-Your-Own themes that these other ones will be eligible for the following challenge. If nothing else, watch whatever you want in May, and if you want to re-watch it if it qualifies in June, then you can do so. Besides, for all we know, we'll all be consumed by zombies by June and won't have the chance to squabble about historical accuracy in movies anyway.
Old 04-05-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good. Now I won't have to edit the first post in this thread.
I'm really looking forward to the History Challenge. I'll do all western at least this first year, war another year, and documentaries another.
I know I said I was planning on watching just Westerns in the other thread, but I forgot all about June 6. I think I may do two weeks each of War and Westerns. Or a week of War, a couple of weeks of Westerns, and finish up with what ever other period piece films and bios I have laying around unwatched.
Personally, I hope you allow all TV. There are some great western series (I'm watching Deadwood in June), shows like Bio, several great war series, etc.

I don't get the earlier posted thoughts on some Challenges staying film specific. To me, content is content, and x hours of movies equals x hours of TV. As long as it's close and we're sharing the month long experience with each other, then that's what a Challenge is all about. But just my opinion of course.
Aren't the Academy Award and the Horror Challenges the only Challenges that don't allow TV (and the Academy Award Challenge allows the award broadcast)? I kinda like the pureness of the Horror Challenge, but that may be mostly because I've gotten used to it being that way, and don't want it to change.
Old 04-05-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Horror and Exploitation Challenges have similar TV rules. No TV shows, but TV movies are OK. Exploitation has an unofficial restriction of just Lifetime TV movies (trashier, the better) and TV Movie Bios.
Old 04-05-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Horror and Exploitation Challenges have similar TV rules. No TV shows, but TV movies are OK. Exploitation has an unofficial restriction of just Lifetime TV movies (trashier, the better) and TV Movie Bios.
Crap. I knew I was forgetting one, so of course it was the current Challenge.
Old 04-05-10, 10:43 PM

I like Terrycloth's 'TV on DVD'
Old 04-06-10, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
How about it being the "Historical Challenge" rather than "History Challenge". This is subtle, but "History" implies "true" while "Historical" just means "the past". It's purely semantic it puts less emphasis on "true" history and allows any period type film, like Westerns and Jane Austen.
I like that.
Old 04-23-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In case anyone is interested, the list thread is now up.
Old 04-23-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Looking for some suggestions...

My birthday is May 5th so I might try and do a mini "Birthday" challenge leading up to it.

So, aside from Happy Birthday To Me and Sixteen Candles, what are some birthday themed movies that you all might suggest?
Old 04-23-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to do an Iberian and Latin American (including Caribbean) challenge. My rules will be:

1. A film that is from any of these countries and in its native language
2. films that are from out of the country but that take place entirely in one of these countries i.e. Turistas, Man On Fire, Girl from Rio, Westerns based on the Mexican Revolution or before the Mexican-American War (so old Mexican territory)
3. Film from one of these countries but not on the countries native languages due to dubbing or intentionally done in another language but with at least 70% crew from native contry. i.e. Kovak Box
4. TV shows are allowed if completely from one of these countries and in native language i.e. Epitafios
5. Concerts are allowed if longer that 60 minutes and by musician from one of these countries or foreign musicians in concert in one of these countries.
6. Territories are considered autonomous so a movie from France or the UK would not count unless one of the rules above applies
7. documentaries about a one of these countries or person/s from these countries allowed with no restrictions on origin.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 05-14-10 at 09:14 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.