Max Headroom: The Complete Series!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Headroom: The Complete Series!!

From an email from Shout! Factory:

M-M-Max Head-Head-Headroom

The rumors are true — well, the ones regarding Shout!’s forthcoming release of Max Headroom: The Complete Series anyway. We really aren’t in a position to confirm or deny some of those other salacious page-turners. Of course, you do remember Max Headroom. He was the spokesperson of a generation. He did soda commercials, hosted his own music video program and was even in an Art Of Noise video back in the day. The eponymous character was the center of the cult favorite, which lasted only 14 episodes in 1987-88. It starred Matt Frewer as a reporter whose mind is downloaded into a computer to create a virtual clone who exists in the digital world. A little ahead of its time perhaps? The cast was rounded out by Amanda Pays, Jeffrey Tambor and W. Morgan Sheppard. More details to follow as we get closer to the August street date.
Old 03-26-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Max Headroom: The Complete Series!!

If it's not a crazy price I'll be buying. I thought that show was pretty good.

Edit: Ordered.

Last edited by Ginwen; 04-29-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/57...se-2010-a.html
Old 04-27-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Cover art is up! I even pre-ordered at Amazon.
Old 04-28-10, 12:20 AM

$50 retail price
$35 Amazon pre-order price

As much as I like Max Headroom and for as long as I have waited for it to arrive on DVD, I'm not in a rush to buy it. I'll get it eventually when it drops in price or if it's on sale ($25 maximum). It'll be on my "Wish List".

The Flash (another program starring Amanda Pays) retails for $60. I bought it a couple months ago at BestBuy on sale for $15.
Old 04-28-10, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of my most-wanteds. I'll definitely pick this up right away to support Shout! having released it.
Old 04-28-10, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

D/D/D/D/D/D/D/D/D/Definitely going to be picking this up.
Old 04-28-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pre-ordered it.
Old 04-28-10, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpio
One of my most-wanteds. I'll definitely pick this up right away to support Shout! having released it.
Same here. If it's something you really love (like Max), you've gotta support the folks who bring it out. Pre order for me.
Old 04-28-10, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in for one-pre-ordered!
Old 04-28-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Shout! just keeps releasing great shows that deserve life on DVD.
Old 04-28-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vlyger
The Flash (another program starring Amanda Pays) retails for $60. I bought it a couple months ago at BestBuy on sale for $15.
Not to derail the thread, but that's another show that I need to pick up, but keep holding off, since it goes on sale for $15 at my store almost every other month.

I do think that with this being a Shout release (unlike The Flash, which is WB), that it would be a bit more unlikely (although then again, I remember picking up the 4 SCTV volumes at DG for $10 each, so anything's possible).
Old 04-29-10, 09:41 PM

Sorry if I've missed this but has there been any confirmation whether or not "20 Minutes Into the Future" is going to be included in this set? If not, I might not buy it.
Old 04-29-10, 10:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Since I refuse to buy anything new from Shout!, I'll grab this used as soon as it pops up.
Old 04-29-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Since I refuse to buy anything new from Shout!, I'll grab this used as soon as it pops up.
Can I ask?
Old 04-30-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Can I ask?
I'm betting he bought into a series that they then stopped releasing?
Old 04-30-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Scorpio
I'm betting he bought into a series that they then stopped releasing?
No, I think he's one of the people who were pissed at them for re-releasing (after advertising it originally as a "one time only" limited edition) yearbook version of Freaks And Geeks.....
Old 04-30-10, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Can I ask?
Originally Posted by WMAangel
No, I think he's one of the people who were pissed at them for re-releasing (after advertising it originally as a "one time only" ((BREAKING THE MOLD)) limited edition) yearbook version of Freaks And Geeks.....
That. Shout! will never get a single penny of my money ever again. I only buy their products used so they don't get the additional sale tick.
Old 04-30-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's kind of a weird stance to take but I guess people have to have their causes.
Old 04-30-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My take is that it's kinda dumb for studios to make those kinds of promises in the first place. There's plenty of DVDs that become rare for real reasons (like the first Little Shop of Horrors that had the deleted scenes) or movies that lapse into rights hell and stop being printed. I don't see the need for studios to intentionally restrict themselves in this manner.

And I should really check out that show, sounds like something I would like.
Old 04-30-10, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
Sorry if I've missed this but has there been any confirmation whether or not "20 Minutes Into the Future" is going to be included in this set? If not, I might not buy it.
Are you referring to the original Max Headroom 1985 British telefilm that inspired the 1987 American television series? If so, I don't think it will be included in this set because Warner doesn't own the distribution rights to the telefilm (BTW, the pilot/first episode of the series is a reworking of the telefilm). What would be nice, though, is if one of the special features was about the origin of Max Headroom and if the 1985 film was mentioned in some shape or form.

Last edited by Vlyger; 04-30-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vlyger
Are you referring to the original Max Headroom 1985 British telefilm that inspired the 1987 American television series?

Yes, "20 Minutes Into the Future."

If so, I don't think it will be included in this set because Warner doesn't own the distribution rights to the telefilm (BTW, the pilot/first episode of the series is a reworking of the telefilm). What would be nice, though, is if one of the special features was about the origin of Max Headroom and if the 1985 film was mentioned in some shape or form.[/SIZE]
Although I liked the American TV show, and thought it was ahead of its time, it pales compared to the original short film, which was like a highly-concentrated (Blipvert, if you will) cyberpunk burst from what could have been the same future universe as "Blade Runner." I own "20 Minutes Into the Future" on the original Lorimar VHS, and I've burned it to DVD-R, but I still think it's important enough for its own DVD release with at least a few extras. Perhaps the rights owners can piggyback a separate DVD release of the short onto Shout's series release date.
Old 05-05-10, 04:02 PM

MY first reaction when I heard this news (a few weeks back) was "Well it's about bloody time!". I've been waiting for this for a long time. For several years I've thought the likelyhood of this series being released was less likely than "Song Of The South" being released, and we all know the likelyhood of "SOTS" being released is very slim at best. OK so now I'll live to see Max Headroom on DVD, but probably not "SOTS".

It would be nice if the original Brit film (already discussed some here as "20 Minutes Into The Future") eventually gets released.
Old 05-06-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My take is that it's kinda dumb for studios to make those kinds of promises in the first place. There's plenty of DVDs that become rare for real reasons (like the first Little Shop of Horrors that had the deleted scenes) or movies that lapse into rights hell and stop being printed. I don't see the need for studios to intentionally restrict themselves in this manner.
They do it to turn a quick profit. When a title is "limited", the urgency to purchase it is really enhanced when it is a title you'd want. You are less likely to wait for it to go on sale for fear it will no longer be available. Disney does this all the time with titles they put "back in the vault" after limited release. I know people who snatched up many titles like that simply because they had babies one and two years old. By the time the title would be re-released, they'd be like 9 and possibly getting too old to enjoy them as much as a 5 or 6 year old.
Old 05-06-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember when this series came out I thought it was cool I was 13 but after a couple episodes I didn't like it. Maybe I should give it another try however I feel this will be really dated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.