Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies would you have bought if they were on DVD instead of DVD-R?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What movies would you have bought if they were on DVD instead of DVD-R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What movies would you have bought if they were on DVD instead of DVD-R?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just got an email ad from Warner about "Pretty Maids All In A Row"- looks like a great movie, but they want $24.99 instead of the usual $19.99, and it's still a fucking DVD-R! (Good news is the first 500 orders get Angie Dickenson's autograph on the cover, so if you're a fan it's probably worth it.) Warner's last catalog titles on REAL discs were between $15-20, so they've got a lot of balls charging more for something that costs them less to produce!
I got that email too. Another title I would have bought on DVD, especially with Angie's autograph. It's interesting that they went out of their way to make it a little more special.
Old 10-01-10, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny that they can get her to sign 500 of them but they can't be bothered to just go ahead and press, say, a thousand copies.
Old 10-01-10, 09:39 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They did that autograph promotion once before on a western. I can't remember which one. It was couple months ago.
Old 10-15-10, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add these I just learned about ...

The Pirates of Dark Water: The Complete Series (Hanna-Barbera Classic Collection)
Thundarr the Barbarian: The Complete Series (1980-82) (4-Disc Set) (1980)
Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space - The Complete Series

I loved Pirates of Dark Water. I had the comics, beat the SNES game, and the whole family used to watch it. I would have bought all of these if they were released normally and at decent prices. But $29.95 + s&h for DVD-R bare bones editions? No thank you.
Old 10-19-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Presentation may not be everything, but it is something.

Does anyone have a picture of what the discs and packaging looks like. Is it just a burnt DVD with the word "MAXWELL" on it (like for the brand name)? Do the inserts look like you just printed them off the inkjet?

I have problems with this like everyone. IF IT IS TRUE, this is the ONLY way to get some movies, then that would be OK with me. IF IT IS TRUE. My fear is that some of these may have gotten real releases later. Another fear is that the discs won't last as long, but no one really seems to know. In fact there is a lot of definitive answers with no real proof. Some say one thing as if it is a fact and others say something else as if it is a fact. I don't mind speculation, but please give some proof as to WHY you would state some of these "facts".

I wonder if the "bootleggers" will start selling Archive Discs.

Illegal bootleggers bootlegging legitimate bootleggers.
Old 10-19-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Another fear is that the discs won't last as long, but no one really seems to know. In fact there is a lot of definitive answers with no real proof. Some say one thing as if it is a fact and others say something else as if it is a fact. I don't mind speculation, but please give some proof as to WHY you would state some of these "facts".
Pressed discs have a reflective layer that is not reactive. Recordable discs have a reflective layer that is by definition reactive (if it couldn't be changed, nothing could be recorded to it).

Since the recording dye on the disc depends on a combination of light and heat to make the necessary recording marks, additional light and heat over time will cause this dye to degrade.

Think of it in terms of something printed on thermal transfer paper, and something printed on regular paper with ink or toner. If you've ever stuck a receipt in your wallet, or left one in sunlight in the car, you know that the presence of heat quickly darkens the paper and degrades the original print. Ink on paper will also eventually degrade, with the paper yellowing over time, but it will last much, much longer.

Wikipedia has info on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Ph...haracteristics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Expected_lifespan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical...gies#Longevity

More info:
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/contents.html
http://www.loc.gov/preserv/rt/projec...longevity.html
Old 10-20-10, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Still, no one knows how long properly manufactured dvd-rs/cd-rs will last if handled and stored correctly. We know what causes premature failure due to improper manufacture, handling and storage.
From personal experience, my oldest dvd-rs are 10 years old and still play fine.
Old 10-20-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Presentation may not be everything, but it is something.

Does anyone have a picture of what the discs and packaging looks like. Is it just a burnt DVD with the word "MAXWELL" on it (like for the brand name)? Do the inserts look like you just printed them off the inkjet?
The covers and label side of disc look just like dvds sold in the stores. Same quality. The earlier titles have a lame template cover design but the printing quality is same as other dvds, not inkjet.
Old 10-20-10, 07:01 AM

I'll echo that. The discs and packaging, outside of the purple hue of the playing surface, look completely professional. If that sort of thing actually matters to you, then you're not going to be disappointed.
Old 10-21-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Pressed discs have a reflective layer that is not reactive. Recordable discs have a reflective layer that is by definition reactive (if it couldn't be changed, nothing could be recorded to it).

Since the recording dye on the disc depends on a combination of light and heat to make the necessary recording marks, additional light and heat over time will cause this dye to degrade.

Think of it in terms of something printed on thermal transfer paper, and something printed on regular paper with ink or toner. If you've ever stuck a receipt in your wallet, or left one in sunlight in the car, you know that the presence of heat quickly darkens the paper and degrades the original print. Ink on paper will also eventually degrade, with the paper yellowing over time, but it will last much, much longer.

Wikipedia has info on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Ph...haracteristics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Expected_lifespan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical...gies#Longevity

More info:
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/contents.html
http://www.loc.gov/preserv/rt/projec...longevity.html

Thank you for this detailed explanation.
Old 10-31-10, 11:15 AM

"The Unholy Three" a Lon Chaney movie(s) I always wanted to see and I just learned about "The Cyclops" a cheesy but fun low budget horror flick. I used to love watching that one on TV as a kid.

I'm starting to feel a bit bummed at how hard WB is pushing this program. They killed HD and now are trying to strangle DVDs. Oh, well. It'll save me money and that's not a bad thing.
Old 11-02-10, 12:23 AM

I'd really like to buy some of these and about a week ago I was surprised to see them on Wal-mart.com for $19.95 each. I was pondering picking up these two ...

http://www.amazon.com/Made-Paris-Ann...8675064&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Rainbow-...8675046&sr=8-1

But Wal-mart has removed all of them but this one ...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15049480

I wish these things were only like $10. I remember watching "Under The Rainbow". But it's not worth Amazon's asking price. Not by a long shot. Most people hated that movie. So no wonder it didn't get a standard release. But why so high? Why not include it on a Chevy Chase Collection?
Old 11-02-10, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
I'd really like to buy some of these and about a week ago I was surprised to see them on Wal-mart.com for $19.95 each. I was pondering picking up these two ...

http://www.amazon.com/Made-Paris-Ann...8675064&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Rainbow-...8675046&sr=8-1

But Wal-mart has removed all of them but this one ...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15049480

I wish these things were only like $10. I remember watching "Under The Rainbow". But it's not worth Amazon's asking price. Not by a long shot. Most people hated that movie. So no wonder it didn't get a standard release. But why so high? Why not include it on a Chevy Chase Collection?
I'd love to get Under the Rainbow. A Chase collection would be great.
Did you really see a MOD title at Walmart? If that is the case then I'll have to be careful when buying DVDs there. Sorry to hear that these are now making it to B&M store shelves.
Old 11-03-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I think he just saw them on Wal-Mart's site (where "Made in Heaven" is selling ABOVE list price), not in their stores.

Anyways, just found out "Americathon" is coming Nov. 30th- I've been dying to get that movie, guess I'll have to wait til they have a sale so I can buy several titles at once and still get them for more than what they would have sold for on a regular release. Thanks, Warner.
Old 11-03-10, 12:47 PM

I think he just saw them on Wal-Mart's site (where "Made in Heaven" is selling ABOVE list price), not in their stores.

Anyways, just found out "Americathon" is coming Nov. 30th- I've been dying to get that movie, guess I'll have to wait til they have a sale so I can buy several titles at once and still get them for more than what they would have sold for on a regular release. Thanks, Warner.
I just learned about "Americathon" too and came to post. I was waiting for that one for a long time. I have the soundtrack on vinyl which is great. It contains a couple of Eddie Money tracks that I really love. I think this title would have sold well enough on DVD.
Old 12-06-10, 06:53 PM

Add these ...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Yog...t-Escape/14755

My little brother had these two on VHS ...

Yogi's Great Escape
Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose

I'd like to have them for nostalgic reasons and hey, it's Yogi Bear!
Old 09-24-11, 10:40 AM

Congrats to those that enjoy MOD. A lot of interesting titles have emerged since I last posted. I hope, foolishly I'm sure, that one day WB will release some of these on DVD, even in boxed sets.
Anyway, I have a few more titles to add to my growing list of MOD titles that I'd buy if they were released on DVD:
Burn Witch Burn
Don't be Afraid of the Dark
The Herculoids
Lost Horizon
The Quartermass Xperiment (I'd like to think a classic Hammer film could sell on DVD. I do have the British import)
Obsession (One of my favorites. I do have an earlier DVD release)
Neighbors (The great Belushi)

I'm sure there are plenty of others. These jumped out at me.
If anyone else feels the same, please list MOD titles you would like to see also make it to DVD (or Blu-Ray).
Old 09-24-11, 03:33 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

I wonder if the "bootleggers" will start selling Archive Discs.

Illegal bootleggers bootlegging legitimate bootleggers.
It's already happened!
Old 09-24-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Warner's now putting out DVD-Rs of titles that used to be on regular DVDs (like Where the Boys Are). Tell me again, WHY is it bad to borrow someone else's disc and make a copy, rather than buying your own?
Old 09-25-11, 05:32 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Warner's now putting out DVD-Rs of titles that used to be on regular DVDs (like Where the Boys Are). Tell me again, WHY is it bad to borrow someone else's disc and make a copy, rather than buying your own?
Its just as bad as making a copy of your friends newest Music Album (LP, Tape or CD), but this has been going on since the invention of Recording Tape, and attempts to make them "Copy Proof" have been FUTILE in the long run, because many people with technical savy view this as a "Game". Technically, it's illegal, but if the Authorities were to arrest everyone who's done this, you could increase the number of prisons EXPONENTIALLY, and there still wouldn't be enough room for everyone!
Old 09-25-11, 08:38 AM

That is funny. I really love DVDs and hate DVD-Rs, so much so that I don't even make recordings from cable showings and transfer to DVD-Rs like many folks do. I feel like I don't really own a copy of the film. But, with more and more MODs coming out from the studios, I don't see much of a difference between the two. I just assume to make my own DVD-R than to buy one for the price of a DVD, if not more. For that much money, I want and expect a real DVD. I'd also rather just buy a digital file than buy a DVD-R.
Old 09-26-11, 01:40 PM

While you're at it, why not go down to Best Buy or Wal-mart and pocket a few DVDs while no one's looking?

I've never had a problem with MOD quality which seems to be on a par with most non-top tier catalogue studio releases. My problem has been the price, which keeps me from ordering titles unless and until they have a real good sale on them.
Old 10-14-11, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
While you're at it, why not go down to Best Buy or Wal-mart and pocket a few DVDs while no one's looking?

I've never had a problem with MOD quality which seems to be on a par with most non-top tier catalogue studio releases. My problem has been the price, which keeps me from ordering titles unless and until they have a real good sale on them.
I put MODs on the same level as recording off of cable. I don't want either. A DVD-R is a DVD-R no matter what you call it. I certainly wouldn't pay decent change for them, even the sale prices seem high to me for what they are. Even spiffy packaging means nothing to me since I put all my DVDs in slim line CD cases.
Old 10-14-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I put MODs on the same level as recording off of cable. I don't want either. A DVD-R is a DVD-R no matter what you call it.
Would you take a DVD-R along with a digital copy you could play anywhere, a la Ultraviolet?
Old 10-14-11, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Would you take a DVD-R along with a digital copy you could play anywhere, a la Ultraviolet?
I'm not a fan of digital copies either. I'd like them a tad more if they were always accessible off a DVD rather than a time limit to download. Still, I've only used digital copies twice so they're not high on my must-have list. Oddly, I'd probably prefer a digital copy over a DVD-r.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.