Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Post pics of your DVD collection and HT, Part 13

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Post pics of your DVD collection and HT, Part 13

New photos of the library/theatre:
8mm Film, 16mm Film, 35mm Film, Beta, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, CD-ROM, CED, Disney Digital Copy, DVD, DVD-R, DIVX, Game Boy Advance Video, HD-DVD, iTunes Digital Copies, Kenner Movie Cassette, Laserdisc, MovieCD, PVD, Super8 Film, UltraViolet Digital Copies, UMD, VCD, VHS, & Video8. + CD Soundtracks & Cinematic Trivia Games.

Old 01-07-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

@MovieMassacre
I really like your library set up. The shelving, decorations and signage make it look like a Video/DVD store. Good job on that!

However, your theatre section is underwhelming for me. Maybe you lack the space but is your biggest TV a 46 inch? I would have imagined a bigger screen for a big collection like yours.
Old 01-07-15, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
@MovieMassacre
I really like your library set up. The shelving, decorations and signage make it look like a Video/DVD store. Good job on that!

However, your theatre section is underwhelming for me. Maybe you lack the space but is your biggest TV a 46 inch? I would have imagined a bigger screen for a big collection like yours.
What? The biggest HDTV in the library (the one shown a few times in the photos above) is a 65" 240Hz 3D LED M651D-A2R. Perhaps you were looking at the TV hanging on the wall? That's not my main set. That set is in the back of the library and I have a HDMI splitter so I can have something playing on that TV and my main 65" at the same time. It's really just for show or if I'm working on something in the back of the room.

Last edited by MovieMassacre; 01-07-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My bad! Must be a large basement as your TV does look tiny in those pictures.
Old 01-07-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Someday I will have my stuff stored as neatly as that! Though I'd prefer to have the VHSs spines out rather than the tops, as not all of them show the title there. The Goodwills and a record store near me shelve them like that and makes it hard to look through them.
Old 01-20-15, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stunning collection...overwhelming
Old 01-25-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts

Finally got around to putting my DVD's away.

Went from This:
Spoiler:

Sorted in piles alphabetically

To This:
Spoiler:

~240 per row. Supposed to hold 250, but wanted to leave some space, and room to expand if I buy anymore. Plus I'm missing some bonus discs here and there (exclusive free ones)

They were in 2 entertainment centers, 2 dvd cabinets, and a 3 shelf bookcase in 3 rooms.
Old 01-25-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Finally got around to putting my DVD's away.

Went from This:
Spoiler:

Sorted in piles alphabetically

To This:
Spoiler:

~240 per row. Supposed to hold 250, but wanted to leave some space, and room to expand if I buy anymore. Plus I'm missing some bonus discs here and there (exclusive free ones)

They were in 2 entertainment centers, 2 dvd cabinets, and a 3 shelf bookcase in 3 rooms.
Those save so much room. I put the cover art in binders.
Old 01-25-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are those and where did you get them from?
Old 01-25-15, 11:47 PM

I'd rather just stop buying new ones than do that to my collection, though if I was ever forced to move to a super-small place I could do that temporarily and store the cases someplace else.
Old 01-26-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'd rather just stop buying new ones than do that to my collection, though if I was ever forced to move to a super-small place I could do that temporarily and store the cases someplace else.
Nothing is better then something?

I know the look of a movie collection is a huge part of it for many people. Personally I was all about the content so it did not matter.
Old 01-26-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

From the pictures you posted in that other thread, you're already living in a "super-small place." Maybe it just looks smaller than it really is.
Old 01-26-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
What are those and where did you get them from?
I got 2 from here:
http://www.meritline.com/1000-disc-c...--c-13723.aspx

And found another 2 on eBay. Search for something like 1000 dvd aluminum case.
The sleeves from meritline were better, but every one of them had to have the opening taken off... both sides. They were perforated and made to come off. Each sleeve holds 2 discs. The meritline ones were a little tight if you had 2 double sided discs in one sleeve. It looks like some people are complaining about the sleeves on meritline now, but I've had these cases for about 2 years, lol!

The eBay sleeves were open already, but several of them got separated at the bottom when inserting the disc, or were already opened at the bottom. Not that big a deal since I had several extras.

The sleeves are numbered 1-1000 too.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 01-31-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-26-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I know a few people who leave the boxes on shelves/display but put the discs in binders/chests for ease of access - best of both worlds (sort of)!
Old 01-30-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got 2 from here:

The sleeves from meritline were better, but every one of them had to have the opening taken off... both sides. They were perforated and made to come off. Each sleeve holds 2 discs. The meritline ones were a little tight if you had 2 double sided discs in one sleeve. It looks liek some people are complaining about the sleeves on meritline now, but I've had these cases for about 2 years, lol!

The eBay sleeves were open already, but several of them got separated at the bottom when inserting the disc, or were already opened at the bottom. Not that big a deal since I had several extras.

Thank you!
Old 02-02-15, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 2 from here:

The sleeves from meritline were better, but every one of them had to have the opening taken off... both sides. They were perforated and made to come off. Each sleeve holds 2 discs. The meritline ones were a little tight if you had 2 double sided discs in one sleeve. It looks like some people are complaining about the sleeves on meritline now, but I've had these cases for about 2 years, lol!

The only thing I don't like is 2 discs/sleeve. Is there a separator in the sleeves or do the discs just stack. I suppose you could buy some extra sleeves if you wanted to separate them. For ease of finding a disc and for just filing them in order, the 1/disc per sleeve would be a lot easier to deal with. I really don't understand the logic of doing it with 2 discs/sleeve.

The trouble with a lot of this is I would only put discs in these that were in keepcases. It really is too hard to store empty box sets, snappers and special packaging without ruining it. And I'd be worried about scratching as well. I bought some 3 level plastic CD drawers at Walmart. I was going to take all my thrift store buys and less than perfect discs and put them in paper sleeves and use these. I haven't gotten very far. Anyway, of everything I've seen so far, I really like these storage units the best.
Old 02-08-15, 08:31 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
And I'd be worried about scratching as well. I bought some 3 level plastic CD drawers at Walmart. I was going to take all my thrift store buys and less than perfect discs and put them in paper sleeves and use these. I haven't gotten very far. Anyway, of everything I've seen so far, I really like these storage units the best.
I ordered a near identical hanging file case on Amazon and the sleeves did scratch up the handful of discs I put in them. Nothing major, but it looked as if I'd roughly wiped the discs down with a dry paper towel. I made sure I was sliding them in and out carefully, but the fabric was rough enough to leave marks. Luckily, the seller had sent me the wrong case (I ordered black and they sent silver) so they issued me a return label and I got a full refund.

I also tried the paper sleeve thing, but that didn't sit well with my OCD. Within a week and a half of putting a third of my discs in the sleeves I discovered two discs that had playback errors. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I got spooked after that and put everything back in it's original case.
Old 02-09-15, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_b
I ordered a near identical hanging file case on Amazon and the sleeves did scratch up the handful of discs I put in them. Nothing major, but it looked as if I'd roughly wiped the discs down with a dry paper towel. I made sure I was sliding them in and out carefully, but the fabric was rough enough to leave marks. Luckily, the seller had sent me the wrong case (I ordered black and they sent silver) so they issued me a return label and I got a full refund.

I also tried the paper sleeve thing, but that didn't sit well with my OCD. Within a week and a half of putting a third of my discs in the sleeves I discovered two discs that had playback errors. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I got spooked after that and put everything back in it's original case.
Thanks. I guess it wasn't the same one indicated so the jury may still be out on those.
Old 02-09-15, 10:33 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ While I'm not 100% sure (it was about eight months ago), the case that seller sent me looked just like the one in IDrinkMolson's pics. Same brackets, handles and fake velvet lining. The white hanging sleeves were a tight fit for one disc, let alone two:

And yes, you need to punch out that tab in the middle before siding the disc in the sleeve (1,000 times per case... ).
Old 02-28-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My sleeves have a fabric middle on both insides. I haven't pulled any out, but I don't think the data side would get scratched. There's a possibility of the outside rubbing the plastic if it's 2 sided.
Old 04-23-15, 11:29 AM

New photos of the library/theatre
8mm Film, 16mm Film, 35mm Film, Beta, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, CinemaNow, CD-i, CD-ROM, CED, Disney Digital Copy, DIVX, DVD, DVD-R, D-VHS, Fisher-Price Movie Viewer, Game Boy Advance Video, Google Play, HD-DVD, HD-VMD, iTunes, Kenner Movie Cassette, Laserdisc, MovieCD, PVD, Super8 Film, UltraViolet, UMD, VCD, VHS, Video8, & VUDU. + CD Soundtracks, Cinematic Books &Cinematic Trivia Games.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-22-21)
Old 04-23-15, 07:39 PM

SOMEDAY I will have a room that looks like that! Til then, I have to keep my stuff wherever it'll fit!
Old 04-24-15, 12:25 AM

SOMEDAY I will have a room that looks like that! Til then, I have to keep my stuff wherever it'll fit!
Looking forward to the day you post a photo of that room!
Old 04-24-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IK own thousands of dvds/Blus. I will be turning 50 this year and have recently begun thinking about what will happen to these in 15-20-25 years when I am gone. Don't think my only child will be interested in owning most of them. It is a sad thought.
Old 04-25-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I have seen links in the past to plans for custom DVD shelves, I have a room that I am inching closer to converting to my library but still need some ideas, especially lighting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.