DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge AND THE AWARD GOES TO... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/570964-4th-annual-academy-award-movie-challenge-award-goes.html)

The Monkees 03-17-10 02:27 PM

The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge AND THE AWARD GOES TO...

Sorry this took so long, but here we have...

The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge

And the Award Goes to...

1. Giles - 130
2. lisadoris - 100
Mondo Kane - 100
4. popcorn - 84
5. Mao - 65

6. Trevor - 63 (didn't number your list, tsk tsk tsk)
7. Dimension X - 62
8. RobCA - 51
jmsmath - 51
10. advdfreak - 50

11. HyperWeather - 48
12. Chad - 44
13. InnocentBlood - 42
14. MrTerrific - 37
15. Jeffy Pop - 35
16. CardiffGiant - 28
MinLShaw - 28
The Monkees - 28
19. biglou114 - 27 (didn't number your list, tsk tsk tsk)
20. Numes - 26

21. Cardsfan111 - 25
Doc Moonlight - 25
23. Darth Maher - 23
24. Fist of Doom - 19
25. aspects - 16
26. Clayman32 - 15
27. llandros - 14
Indy24LA - 14
29. hindolio - 12

30. LBCrazyFool - 11
QuirkyMovieGirl - 11
32. Gobear - 8
33. Indiephantom - 7
smashthesymbols - 7
35. Sparrow - 6
36. kevinlord190 - 2
37. Ginwen - 1
38. Corey31 - 0

That's it! I hope everyone had fun, I look forward to the Horror Movie Challenge beginning on October 1, 2010 and any other upcoming challenges throughout the year!

Giles 03-17-10 02:37 PM

Re: The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge AND THE AWARD GOES TO...

"oh oh oh.... I've won! ... oh my god! ... first of I'd like to thank the Academy and my parents, my lawyers, the folk down the street, my dog Buster for cleaning up the fallen popcorn on the floor.... oh, oh, oh, time... yeah... sorry.... uh... thank you" [blows kisses]

:D

no but seriousily... :)

Mondo Kane 03-17-10 03:07 PM

Congrats, Giles!

Cardsfan111 03-17-10 03:09 PM

I'm content with a nice, modest total. Gives me something to shoot for next year.

Trevor 03-17-10 03:50 PM

Oops, sorry for not numbering Monkees. I didn't think we did the numbering/results in this Challenge for some reason.

Thanks again for running these! For the actual film enjoyment, this is my favorite Challenge of the year. I watched so many great films for the first time last month.

And Congrats to Giles!

lisadoris 03-17-10 05:32 PM

Woohoo congrats Giles. I had a lot of fun watching a bunch of movies I had never seen before. Now I have to get some rest and gear up for the sci-fi challenge.

Trevor 03-17-10 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris (Post 10054972)
Woohoo congrats Giles. I had a lot of fun watching a bunch of movies I had never seen before. Now I have to get some rest and gear up for the sci-fi challenge.

That Challenge is almost four months away! We have three other Challenges before Sci-fi.

Fist of Doom 03-17-10 05:59 PM

Well, I finished number 24, Willie Mays' number. I'm okay with that.

Thanks Monkees. :up: I would have watched more if it weren't for the Olympics. That damn curling just hypnotized me.

Greg MacGuffin 03-17-10 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10054998)
That Challenge is almost four months away! We have three other Challenges before Sci-fi.

The B-movie challenge is in April. I'm assuming the other two are in May and June? Have those been announced yet?

The Monkees 03-17-10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10054799)
Oops, sorry for not numbering Monkees. I didn't think we did the numbering/results in this Challenge for some reason.

I don't think I've ever done a results list for this challenge. Mostly because I always forget to. No worries. ;)

indiephantom 03-18-10 01:37 AM

I sucked...but life got in the way. Nice reading through the lists though.

Travis McClain 03-18-10 01:46 AM

Now I regret all those mid-February days of not watching anything. I coulda been a contender! Still, tying for 16th ain't bad. My thanks to The Monkees for tabulatin', and my congratulations to Giles for winning. I'm definitely excited about next year's challenge!

InnocentBlood 03-18-10 08:05 AM

thanks The Monkees for hosting this year's challenge - it's been really fun :)

Trevor 03-18-10 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop (Post 10055073)
The B-movie challenge is in April. I'm assuming the other two are in May and June? Have those been announced yet?

Not quite officially announced, but I think they are both 100% on.

May is going to be the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge run by Dimension X.

I'm getting excited for this one. The basic 'rules' will apparently be to watch whatever you want, hopefully themed in some way, but to not duplicate one of the other Challenges. I think I'm going to do a LOTR Challenge, watching every special feature on all the various DVD releases. It should involve watching each film at least 8 times each. Ugghh.

June will be the Western Challenge. I'll run that one poorly.

InnocentBlood 03-18-10 08:16 AM

Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge sounds interesting -if i get to do this one, then i'm gonna watch foreign movies :) i've always thought we could use a Foreign Movie challenge...

Dimension X 03-18-10 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 10055088)
I don't think I've ever done a results list for this challenge.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to see results. Now I feel like a cheat or something, seeing my name in the top ten. I pretty much took a month off from watching movies and spent most of my "movie-watching time" reading or sleeping, but, thanks to the "Best Short Subject (Cartoon)" category, it looks like I was really into this challenge.

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10055860)
Not quite officially announced, but I think they are both 100% on.

May is going to be the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge run by Dimension X.

I guess I should be thinking about starting a discussion thread on that soon.

I'm getting excited for this one. The basic 'rules' will apparently be to watch whatever you want, hopefully themed in some way, but to not duplicate one of the other Challenges.

I think there should definitely be a theme, but people can be as creative as they want about what constitutes a theme.

June will be the Western Challenge. I'll run that one poorly.

Looking forward to it, if I'm not burnt out on movies again by then.

The Monkees 03-18-10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 10056130)
I think there should definitely be a theme, but people can be as creative as they want about what constitutes a theme.

Here's a question for the make your own challenge, you say it can't be a theme used in another challenge, what if I wanted to do something horror related but focused on one specific sub-genre? Like only 80s slasher films?

Trevor 03-18-10 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 10055088)
I don't think I've ever done a results list for this challenge. Mostly because I always forget to. No worries. ;)

You just didn't want to count up the ungodly numbers I watched last year.

I guess I should be thinking about starting a discussion thread on that soon.

Sweet!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what people do with it.

Looking forward to it, if I'm not burnt out on movies again by then.

I know some people think we have too many Challenges, but I don't think so. I'm sure that if we stuck to just the 3/4 original ones, that there would be people who have no interest in them, but like one of the new ones.

The main purpose of the Challenges is to encourage community here, group participation, so the more the merrier pretty much.

No one has to participate in each one, or even if you do, just watch the same amount of stuff that you normally watch, even before the Challenges, but gear some of it to that month's category for the community aspect of things.

Dimension X 03-18-10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 10056480)
Here's a question for the make your own challenge, you say it can't be a theme used in another challenge, what if I wanted to do something horror related but focused on one specific sub-genre? Like only 80s slasher films?

My first thought on this was not to allow it (what's to keep you from only watching slasher films during the Oct. Challenge?), but after thinking about it, I'm leaning to yes (part of the creative aspect of coming up with a theme could be getting around the rules). I'll try to remember to put this question in the discussion thread so we can see what others think so I can clarify the rule.

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10056652)
I know some people think we have too many Challenges, but I don't think so. I'm sure that if we stuck to just the 3/4 original ones, that there would be people who have no interest in them, but like one of the new ones.

The main purpose of the Challenges is to encourage community here, group participation, so the more the merrier pretty much.

No one has to participate in each one, or even if you do, just watch the same amount of stuff that you normally watch, even before the Challenges, but gear some of it to that month's category for the community aspect of things.

I definitely watch more during some of the challenges than I do during others. I've started to participate in all of them in the last couple of years just because they give me a much-needed push to watch some of my unwatched movies (even if I only watch a few). Like I said, I'm looking forward to the Western challenge. I'm just not sure if I'll watch a dozen or a hundred movies that month.

lisadoris 03-18-10 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10054998)

Hey I have to rest up before diving into another challenge; they're a lot of work! Actually I might use the "make your own" challenge to re-watch some of my TV sets.

hindolio 03-18-10 11:16 PM

thanks for hosting the challenge monkees! and thanks to everyone for the encouragement. im finding these challenges to be a bit motivational and a nice break getting to actually watch and not only collect them round shiny disks :D

Indy24LA 03-19-10 07:11 PM

Thanks goes out the Monkees for hosting this challenge and congrats to Giles and everyone that played. I wasn't sure about joining this one, but glad I did. Even though fate conspired to keep my number low, I really enjoyed it.

I'm very intrigued by the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge... hmmmm, comic book movies? 80s movies? Sports movies? What to pick, what to pick...