Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Digital Copy in DVD & Blu-Ray's

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Copy in DVD & Blu-Ray's

This has more to do with the Digital Copy in some of the new Blu-Ray's. I have also seen them in DVDS.

Does anyone really use them? You have to put in a code, join a site, this and that and this and that and this and that. By the time your done you could have watched the movie and not get all kinds of junk emails/mail.

I did just one movie and it took me a very long time just to get it to start. In the end I just watched the real Blu-Ray (I do not own any on DVDs)

Q
Old 03-03-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Digital Copy in DVD & Blu-Ray's

If you have an iTunes account (which anyone with an iPod will), all you have to do is put the disc in your computer. It will automatically pull up the correct iTunes page. Then just enter the code from the packaging, and the movie will download in a couple minutes. Not really that complicated.

Digital Copies are very useful for those of us with long commutes by public transportation, or those who do a lot of travelling.
Old 03-03-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

As Josh said, it's not that complicated. I never look for them but if there's one included on a blu-ray or DVD, I'll toss on my iPod Touch. I fly once a month, so it gives me something to watch.
Old 03-03-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's weird that this has never been discussed before.
Old 03-03-10, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It's weird that this has never been discussed before.

Ya, I do not own a Ipod. I have the Chocolate Touch and a Scandisk I am good to go there.

I do like when they give you the DVD at the sametime they sell you the Blu-Ray. I see it as this, even when I did not have a Blu-Ray I would pay more to get the double disk set.

Still I have many D.C. copies and I never use them.
Old 03-03-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Similar thread going in HD talk

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/569...e-expired.html
Old 03-03-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm beginning to enjoy the digital copies that are iTunes compatible. Very useful during long commutes!
Old 03-03-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drq2
I have the Chocolate Touch
I think you mean a chocolate Zune. The Touch is an iPod.
Old 03-03-10, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I think you mean a chocolate Zune. The Touch is an iPod.

I have the LG Chocolate Touch Cell Phone, its a Cell and a MP3 player.
Old 03-04-10, 11:18 AM

Digital Copy is a 5 cent excuse for the studios to tack an extra $5-10 on the MSRP. Did you ever notice how the price of a movie plummets once the digital copy has expired? I personally never used a digital copy, but the studios should save the planet and stop including them, or include with a download link and ditch the extra disc.
Old 03-04-10, 11:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePhanatic00
Digital Copy is a 5 cent excuse for the studios to tack an extra $5-10 on the MSRP. Did you ever notice how the price of a movie plummets once the digital copy has expired? I personally never used a digital copy, but the studios should save the planet and stop including them, or include with a download link and ditch the extra disc.
I agree, but it all comes down to money. I'm sure the studios have figured out that people will pay the premium for the perceived value of 'an extra disc', and it will likely never change.
Old 03-04-10, 12:57 PM
Cool New Member

I havent used any of them, the first digital copy I got I did want to try so I could have that movie on my computer, I typed in the code and did everything then it said to claim my digital copy it would only cost 2.99. So I took out the disc I didnt want to pay 3 bucks for something I already paid 20 for! I havent tryed one since but I wouldnt put a movie on my ipod anyways.
Old 03-04-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Digital Copies is the worst gimmick the studios has EVER come up with... to make more money. I HATE the studios for being so greedy.

I really try to avoid them at all cost. And cost is what it´s all about. They should be free with the media one already has paid dearly for. I rather buy a given movie from another region instead of this ridiculous venture.

I also hate the studios for cheating out DVD buyers from getting the Exclusive Extras Features that´s on Blu-rays.
Old 03-04-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the idea of digital copies and have used them. The only problem I see is often they include a poor version that is ok for a ipod or zune but poor for a PC. If you wanted to make a digital library you probably wouldn't want to use the digital copy they provided.

On cost I don't see it as a issue. I only by movies on sell and haven't really paid extra for the digital copy.
Old 03-05-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't go out of my way to acquire them, but I figure if they're included with my purchase I may as well download them. Until recently, every one that I had was iTunes compatible. Pop in the disc, enter the code, voila. Quick, painless, easy. Then I bought Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. I spent over two hours (!) installing the WB Digital Content media player and trying to get three different programs up-to-date (Windows Media Player, Adobe Air and Adobe) just so I could download that digital copy. I still have no idea where to actually enter the code!
Old 03-05-10, 07:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Seems to me that they must be making more money due to this practice, otherwise they would stop. We all hate it, but J6P agrees to pay more for special editions and 'bonus' discs.

So perhaps they aren't slitting their own throats, but just doing their job?
Old 03-05-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All we need is the fan boy reference and this thread is complete...
Old 03-05-10, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePhanatic00
My digital copy for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince BD came precisely this way. No extra disc. Just a website to go to, which redirects you to iTunes to redeem the code.

TLK
Old 03-05-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
....You have to PAY to get the friggin' digital copy?!?
I've heard of people being told they had to pay, but I have never encountered this. It's possible that those rare instances were due to the owner trying to download after the expiration date of the DC code, or possibly within the first day of release (when codes sometimes aren't properly set up with the e-vendor's site). I can't say I recall ever reading a post anywhere that actually named the title in dispute, along with its release date, expiration date and date of download attempt.

The larger complaint seems to feel that studios tack on the cost of the digital copy to the up-front price of the DVD or Blu-ray. They want the DC's out of the equation entirely, thinking it will lower the cost of the DVD/BD. I know that studios have charged more for DC-inclusive releases, but it's a bit misleading to think that's the only cause for the higher price since DC's are generally only found on deluxe editions that include more on-disc bonus content.
Old 03-05-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When Warner was first rolling out digital copies in 2008, they had some two-disc editions and Blu-ray discs with stickers that said "Bonus Digital Copy," and some single-disc editions with stickers that said "Get a Digital Copy." I'd read quickly and assumed they were the same, but the second was the one you had to go to a site and pay for. I think Get Smart and Kit Kittredge were like this.

I don't recall seeing this lately so maybe they stopped. It was misleading if you weren't paying close attention.
Old 03-05-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
When Warner was first rolling out digital copies in 2008, they had some two-disc editions and Blu-ray discs with stickers that said "Bonus Digital Copy," and some single-disc editions with stickers that said "Get a Digital Copy." I'd read quickly and assumed they were the same, but the second was the one you had to go to a site and pay for. I think Get Smart and Kit Kittredge were like this.

I don't recall seeing this lately so maybe they stopped. It was misleading if you weren't paying close attention.
Get Smart and Kit Kittredge had free digital copies. You didn't pay extra for them. Matter of fact, if it comes with the disc then you don't pay extra for the privilege of owning a digital copy.

It's just that Warner is one of those companies who figures that customer confusion is the best way to market titles.

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince, Terminator: Salvation, and The Final Destination shipped in two flavors at the same time:

A version with digital copy (in the case of The Final Destination with a 3D version of the film as well) and another version without the digital copy (or the 3D version for The Final Destination).

Customers have had to exchange titles at various outlets due to the fact that they were expecting to buy a specific package or receive one at their door, only to find they got the lower end deal.

Terminator: Salvation caused a headache for Amazon.com since they sold it for $17.99 and customers could end up with either version for that price.

Warner has also done this with Body of Lies, Speed Racer, and 300:The Complete Experience (BD).

Last edited by emachine12; 03-05-10 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by emachine12
Get Smart and Kit Kittredge had free digital copies. You didn't pay extra for them. Matter of fact, if it comes with the disc then you don't pay extra for the privilege of owning a digital copy.
Get Smart had free digital copies with the Blu-ray and the two-disc DVD, but I don't think it was with the single-disc DVD. Kit Kittredge had a free copy with the Blu-ray but I don't think it had one with the DVD (which was a single disc).

And yes, it's free if it's with the disc. A lot of these Warner titles have had it on their two-disc editions that way.

And I totally agree that the new maybe-you-get-it-or-maybe-not system is completely asinine.
Old 03-06-10, 11:01 AM

I used my My Bloody Valentine. I like the digital copy. Buying movies off iTunes is expensive.
Old 03-06-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I don't go out of my way to acquire them, but I figure if they're included with my purchase I may as well download them. Until recently, every one that I had was iTunes compatible. Pop in the disc, enter the code, voila. Quick, painless, easy. Then I bought Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. I spent over two hours (!) installing the WB Digital Content media player and trying to get three different programs up-to-date (Windows Media Player, Adobe Air and Adobe) just so I could download that digital copy. I still have no idea where to actually enter the code!
I'm using the WB downloader right now and I agree it's a POS. At least I had the right version of AIR etc. and got the install process started, but it's downloading 21 separate files (this is the Watchmen motion comic) in various stages of completion and the disc is reading reading reading, but I got a pop-up 15 minutes ago saying it was ready to watch. Confusing to say the least. I agree that iTunes' Digital Copy experience is much better.
Old 03-06-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm using the WB downloader right now and I agree it's a POS. At least I had the right version of AIR etc. and got the install process started, but it's downloading 21 separate files (this is the Watchmen motion comic) in various stages of completion and the disc is reading reading reading, but I got a pop-up 15 minutes ago saying it was ready to watch. Confusing to say the least. I agree that iTunes' Digital Copy experience is much better.
Now I just got another pop-up saying the Portable Copy was available for viewing, even though the disc is still reading and the download manager is still showing status bars in progress. WTF? Maybe they're giving me pop-ups as each chapter is done?

EDIT: Yep, that appears to be exactly what they're doing, notifying by chapter. been going an hour and still working.

Last edited by davidh777; 03-06-10 at 12:52 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.