Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Looks like I'll need to track down Trader Hornee, now.
I need to watch that one again. I don't remember much about it except the great 8 or 9 minute long trailer. Come to think of it, maybe that was the trailer I was thinking of earlier.
Old 03-31-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

stupid question but I'm guessing that the Monsters and Madmen dvd set from criterion counts?

btw, can't wait to sit through a lot of Jess Franco stuff this month.
Old 03-31-10, 09:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

You know what? Probably. Chances are it IS too high class for the likes of this challenge. Same with the first 2 or 4 Tarzan movies. Bs from the 30s and 40s are really hard to distinguish from As and most of my focus has been on Exploitation, which is much easier. Horror and Sci-Fi are easy to define while these films are much more subjective. Unless it's egregious, I do err on the side of allowing when I probably shouldn't. I'm just happy enough to get participation that I'll forgive the occasional "good" movie. I have a good grasp on the stuff I'm watching and you obviously do. I figure the more people see the stuff on the "hardcore" participants lists the easier it will be for them to get the idea of what is expected. Unless someone tries to sneak in Casablanca or something while I'm watching a Doris Wishman or Andy Milligan film, then there might be a problem, but I can forgive Chain gang. I figure, if we're lucky, about half of us will "totally get this", but I don't want to make it too intimidating for those that don't. If someone has questions about a particular film then they can ask in the thread. I'll make sure to check them out closer, but I am extremely forgiving. I plan on having fun regardless of what everyone else is watching and I look forward to checking out the lists and discussion of those that are on the same wavelength as I am. But I do appreciate and welcome your input on these questions, since you have a grasp of what I'm going for. If someone asks, then go right ahead with what you think is right.
I don't think it's so much a problem of some people 'getting it' and some people not.

It's fairly easy on more modern stuff to tell that it is a 'B' picture, but often difficult on the older stuff. Depending on what slant the writers take, information on the older stuff can make it seem like a subversive 'B' film or a major effort taking risks.
Old 03-31-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
btw, can't wait to sit through a lot of Jess Franco stuff this month.
That's something I could never do again. He has a lot of things where once you start noticing them, you can never un-notice. Pointless panning, oh god, the pointless panning. The man will start scenes by slowly panning across a wall for 10 seconds before the scene should actually begin.

Jack the Ripper is some of his best work but he still did the pans.

I'm going to assume this is ok, but what about serials? I have a couple I'd like to watch and if they don't count, that's just a shame.
Old 03-31-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's fairly easy on more modern stuff to tell that it is a 'B' picture, but often difficult on the older stuff. Depending on what slant the writers take, information on the older stuff can make it seem like a subversive 'B' film or a major effort taking risks.
Yeah, the B pictures from the majors look like A pictures compared to the Poverty Row stuff. I don't think anyone will complain if someone has a few "questionable" films on their lists, especially if a case can be made to include them.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'm going to assume this is ok, but what about serials? I have a couple I'd like to watch and if they don't count, that's just a shame.
I think they should definitely be allowed, but should probably be counted as one entry (the way a TV mini-series is counted in the Horror Challenge) since shorts aren't allowed.
Old 03-31-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Serials are definitely B movies. More so than regular shorts, they all add up to a specific story and were definitely part of the B movie cycle of the golden age. I think we could probably go with the Sci-Fi rule on TV Mini-series (one"night" equals an entry), on Serials (we'll go with an hour's worth per entry), provided they actually were theatrical serials. A serial episode is about 15-20 minutes, so an hour's worth counts as an entry. 4-15 minutes ones or 3-20 minute episodes. I'll update the opening post in a bit. I'ma nappin' before midnight and the start of the challenge.
Old 03-31-10, 05:06 PM

I'ma nappin' before midnight and the start of the challenge.
I never nap, but took one today just for this Challenge. Want to squeeze one or two in after midnight and before another short nap before work tomorrow morning.

I'll think of them as my un-B'est choices, but will likely do the two April Fool's Day films just because of the date.
Old 03-31-10, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by RKillgore
That was really cool. That cache of films is the stuff of legends.
It starts slightly early for the challenge, but are any other DVDTalkers around the Portland OR area attending the Grindhouse films at the Hollywood Theater through April? All dates are on a Wednesday, 7:30 pm.

REVENGE OF THE OLD SCHOOL KUNG FU MASTERS!

March 31 - Death Chamber (aka Shaolin Temple)
April 7 - Invincible Armour
April 14 - Masked Avengers
April 21 - Mystery of Chess Boxing

http://grindhousefilmfest.com/

Even though the first one won't count within the challenge time, I'm going to try to attend the first three.

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. You might run into me at one of the screenings towards the end of the month if I can find the time to be there. I still need footage of an actual screening and I'd like to get interviews from some of the people that go to the screenings. Just look for the fat guy with a camera.

I'm pretty excited to start tonight. I probably should take a nap but I don't know if I will. I'm probably going to weed through my Something Weird discs and sort out the non-horror films so that they'll be easier to pick from. Tomorrow's my last day off before I go back to work and the new school term starts so I'm going to try to cram as many as I can right away. If my son goes to sleep in time, I'm going to show my wife Cannibal Holocaust for our first movie. If he's up then I'm thinking of watching Danger Diabolik to kick things off instead.
Old 03-31-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Less than a day left before the challenge
Old 03-31-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm gonna start with one of my unwatched trailer compilations, but I have no idea what I'll watch after that.
Serials are definitely B movies. More so than regular shorts, they all add up to a specific story and were definitely part of the B movie cycle of the golden age. I think we could probably go with the Sci-Fi rule on TV Mini-series (one"night" equals an entry), on Serials (we'll go with an hour's worth per entry), provided they actually were theatrical serials. A serial episode is about 15-20 minutes, so an hour's worth counts as an entry. 4-15 minutes ones or 3-20 minute episodes. I'll update the opening post in a bit.
Cool. Now I know what to watch on Saturdays.

If you don't have any serials laying around, check out archive.org.
Old 03-31-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Less than a day left before the challenge
I'm starting the festivities at midnight!
Old 03-31-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm starting at midnight with a double-feature. Not sure exactly what will be first just yet.
Old 03-31-10, 07:25 PM

I wish I could start at midnight, but 7:00am work time is killin' it for me. Got Friday off though so after work tomorrow it'll be a non stop trash-o-rama for a few days!
"Yor - The Hunter from the Future" is all set to go to start things off (Gotta be kid friendly for the fist few hours).
Old 03-31-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm starting the festivities at midnight!
Jealous!

Like Chet Desmond, I have work early the next two days (5am). I can snueak in one film after my shift tomorrow and one around the same time Friday.

Hopefully I won't be so tired that I'll fall asleep during each of my first films
Old 03-31-10, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be starting tomorrow night with my first time viewing of Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs.
Old 03-31-10, 11:00 PM

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aOyQz1J6qg&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aOyQz1J6qg&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 03-31-10, 11:18 PM

Old 04-01-10, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
East coast bastards.
Old 04-01-10, 08:14 AM

Watched the two April Fools Day films last night. Wow, the newer one is absolutely horrid.

Working the next 5 days (12 hour shifts) so I'll be quite limited in what I can watch. Maybe the Elvis films can pass muster here at work....
Old 04-01-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I can see excluding A-pictures like Jaws and The Exorcist because they are landmark pictures that were intended for mainstream audiences, but despite their A-Budgets, Showgirls and Valley of the Dolls totally belong in this challenge. And I don't think anyone could disagree with Beyond the Valley of the Dolls-Russ Meyer is on the Safe List.
Old 04-01-10, 08:53 AM

Yeah, Showgirls and Valley of the Dolls are allowed. Showgirls has a 14% on Rottentomatoes.com. Valley of the Dolls obviously belongs, since it is a cult camp classic. It was very badly reviewed in its day but now the reviews are ironic so it has a higher rating. I was trying to think what could it count as on the checklist and then it occurred to me that the title is the clue. It's a "stoner film". Dolls are pills, after all and it is an important part of the plot. And Russ Meyer's films are allowed. Some of the actors on the safe list aren't guaranteed but I wanted to open that list up a bit. Directors are generally a safe bet (exceptions, like that Meryl Streep film that Wes Craven did not withstanding)
Old 04-01-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

10 hours into the challenge and I'm having a blast with 2 fun and cheesy movies down.
Old 04-01-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any stoner films count? Or only certain types? I've had Pineapple Express on my unwatched list for a while now; if it'll count toward this challenge, that should finally get me to watch it this month.

Rob
Old 04-01-10, 09:17 AM

The Criterion Club here at DVDTalk has moved their schedule around to accomodate our Challenge here, and has selected Equinox (1970) for April 1st, and Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) for April 15th. Please consider watching these films and contributing to the discussion thread for each. Even if you don't watch them this month, feel free to add to the discussion.

The discussion thread for Equinox is here.
Old 04-01-10, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by RobCA
Do any stoner films count? Or only certain types? I've had Pineapple Express on my unwatched list for a while now; if it'll count toward this challenge, that should finally get me to watch it this month.

Rob
I don't see why not. It's not a B, but now Hollywood makes exploitation films, so if you want to watch it, sure. Although it was meant more for Reefer Madness, Cheech and Chong, Easy Rider, etc. we're cool with newer films. I was going to watch Happy Face sometime. Loves me some Anna Faris.

Originally Posted by Trevor
The Criterion Club here at DVDTalk has moved their schedule around to accomodate our Challenge here, and has selected Equinox (1970) for April 1st, and Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) for April 15th. Please consider watching these films and contributing to the discussion thread for each. Even if you don't watch them this month, feel free to add to the discussion.

The discussion thread for Equinox is here.
Sweet. I have a copy of the blue/amber anaglyph 3-D version of FFF I'm watching later this month.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 04-01-10 at 09:26 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.