Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 03-11-10, 06:56 PM

Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

"Not Quite Hollywood" is friggin' awesome! There are about a dozen flicks I must see now after watching it.
Old 03-11-10, 07:17 PM

Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

I'd also recommend Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream - sadly the US dvd is missing a few extras that ARE on the UK version, including a commentary track.

I can't wait for the 'Nunsploitation Convent Collection' that has a doc on the nunsploitation genre.
Old 03-11-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

All MGM Midnight Movies allowed?
Old 03-11-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I can't wait for the 'Nunsploitation Convent Collection' that has a doc on the nunsploitation genre.
kewl!

One last batch of doc's that participants could be interested in:
SCHLOCK: The Secret History of American Movies
Chop Socky Cinema
Mau Mau Sex Sex
Old 03-11-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
All MGM Midnight Movies allowed?
I believe they are, with the possible exception of the Oscar-nominated () Wild in the Streets.

I'm planning to watch a bunch of mine.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 03-11-10 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-12-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I removed the Oscar rule. Too many exceptions, like Wild in the Streets, which would have been safe otherwise. AIP films are probably all safe. I'll put MGM Midnight on the list.
Old 03-12-10, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
kewl!

One last batch of doc's that participants could be interested in:
SCHLOCK: The Secret History of American Movies
Mau Mau Sex Sex
Those were my Col. Dave Friedman docs. The man is a legend. One of the highlights of my life was meeting him a year ago. He signed my Long Swift Sword of Sigfried one sheet.

Cinema Wasteland falls during the challenge. This is specifically a Drive-In Movie Exposition/Convention, so panel discussions count as a movie, movies viewed there count (obviously), and just attending counts as a movie (per day).
Old 03-12-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you haven't seen it, Sex and Buttered Popcorn (1989) is another documentary featuring David Friedman (and Dan Sonney) you might want to check out.

Since you added American International Pictures to the list you might as well add these "Internationals" too:
Boxoffice International Pictures
Crown International Pictures
Independent International Pictures
Old 03-12-10, 03:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I could have sworn there was a recent post that mentioned The Town That Dreaded Sundown and Return to Boggy Creek, but I can't find it anywhere. I just noticed that my childhood love Dawn Wells played in both films. I'm hoping to find both of these and perhaps make it a quadruple feature with a couple Gilligan movies. Maybe they're not all countable, but I'm ready for some Dawn.
Old 03-12-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I could have sworn there was a recent post that mentioned The Town That Dreaded Sundown and Return to Boggy Creek, but I can't find it anywhere.
It was a Movie Talk thread.
Old 03-12-10, 04:05 PM

^ Thanks Fist! I really did do a search, saw the list of threads with 'dreaded' in them, but had a mental blank that I ever visited that thread.
Old 03-12-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Not Quite Hollywood
I just saw this is also a Netflix Instant title. If anyone comes across any more quality (a relative term in this case) exploitation films that are Instant titles, please post them.
Old 03-13-10, 07:05 AM

First draft of the check list is posted in Post number 2.

It's not finished. I need to filter down the most important/representative of the directors/actors and studios.
Old 03-13-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On the pre/post MPAA, can you put a year in too? I have no idea what the year is without having to look it up.
Old 03-13-10, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
On the pre/post MPAA, can you put a year in too? I have no idea what the year is without having to look it up.
Most times for this purpose people will use 1968, as that was the year the familiar G through X started (with a few variables). From 1930 to 1968 it was just either 'approved' or not, right?

So a real completist would need a film for before 1930, two for between 1930 and 1968, and then eight or so for all the various ratings since 1968.
Old 03-13-10, 11:18 AM

I'll update the date.
I'm thinking of just having an arbitrary number of films featuring or by those in the safe lists instead of picking specific people from those lists. Maybe 10 films by those in the director list, and 10 from the actor list. Something like that. That way folks can choose their own poison.
Old 03-13-10, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I'll update the date.
I'm thinking of just having an arbitrary number of films featuring or by those in the safe lists instead of picking specific people from those lists. Maybe 10 films by those in the director list, and 10 from the actor list. Something like that. That way folks can choose their own poison.
That's a great idea!

As much as I often get totally into the checklists, they can be very limiting, and I often think that they should be more inclusive and not make anyone buy/rent from very limited pools.

But then I obviously go back and forth on this issue, as evidenced by two posts ago.
Old 03-13-10, 12:48 PM

Are Japanese rubber suit movies, like Godzilla and Mothra allowed?
Old 03-13-10, 08:14 PM

That's a great idea!

As much as I often get totally into the checklists, they can be very limiting, and I often think that they should be more inclusive and not make anyone buy/rent from very limited pools.

But then I obviously go back and forth on this issue, as evidenced by two posts ago.
Thanks. Plus, it makes the safe lists a more important aspect of the challenge.
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop View Post
Are Japanese rubber suit movies, like Godzilla and Mothra allowed?
According to Wikipedia, those would fall under Eco-terror, so yeah.

I meant to put this in the first couple posts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploitation_film
Old 03-13-10, 09:53 PM

OK, updated the checklist. The Catholic Legion of Decency list is linked to a wikipedia page, but it is incomplete. I know there are movies that were condemned that are not on there, like Lemora. So if you seen any reference anywhere (I'm not picky) that the Catholic Church banned it or found it morally objectionable, that's good enough.

I also put optional on some categories because I want the list to be obtainable and while there are exploitation films in the 10s and 20s, I'm more interested in the the 30s and later. I'm sure there are some G rated films (like maybe the religious films or Sunn Classic films), but "G" doesn't say "exploitation" to me, plus that category killed me in the Horror Challenge, so it's optional.

I wanted to add something like "complete a multi-disk set, like the BCI Drive-In cult classics", but I think I'm going to leave that up to the individual to make his own goal. Perhaps I'll add a "Complete your own specific goal", and that lets everyone be creative.

List thread will be up on or about the 17th.
Old 03-14-10, 09:26 AM

Hard to believe, but HG Lewis made a couple of kid's flicks. "Jimmy the Boy Wonder" and "The Magic Land of Mother Goose".
Old 03-14-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
List thread will be up on or about the 17th.
Can. No. Longer. Wait.

Anyone else planning to view an assortment of trailers before/In-between movies?
Old 03-14-10, 07:36 PM

Anyone know of any TV mini-series that would qualify? I guess only if wildcards allow mini-series. I just have this thing where I try to watch 3 TV seasons/mini-series per month, and would like to make them 'B' and qualify if possible.
Old 03-14-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone know of any TV mini-series that would qualify? I guess only if wildcards allow mini-series. I just have this thing where I try to watch 3 TV seasons/mini-series per month, and would like to make them 'B' and qualify if possible.
It's not my challenge, so I have no say whatsoever, but I see no reason not to at least include Mystery Science Theater 3000. Other than that, I'm sure there's bound to be a fairly cheesy detective or sci-fi series that someone else could name that fits the spirit of the challenge.
Old 03-14-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Can. No. Longer. Wait.

Anyone else planning to view an assortment of trailers before/In-between movies?
While I'd like to, I'm far to lazy to do anything other than watch 2 movies with one of the 42nd St. volumes in between.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.