Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 05-04-10, 08:15 AM
  #526  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,492
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

^ that reminds me to actually fill out the safe list. All in all I quite enjoyed the challenge, but unlike past other challenges, I don't know what happened, but I just kind of petered out there near the end - not for lack of material but ... something.
Giles is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 11:00 AM
  #527  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
checklists
I'd say drop Emmanuelle Film, since that still leaves 4 other sexploitation things to do, or even knock them all off and just have sexploitation as the only one. I'd have more fun with 1 sexploitation and changing the other 4 to their own types of films.

I'd only keep the Bruce Lee and Ninja choices in the martial arts section.

Have some examples of movies for each type. I had no clue what Roadshow Exploitation/30s-40s "Cautionary" films and Mildred Pierce/Douglas Sirk melodrama type "Women's Pictures" from the 40s-60s was off the top of my head. Just saying Reefer Madness would've instantly tipped me off the the first one.

Figuring out Mildred was a pain. Those wiki links didn't have anything. http://www.grindhousedatabase.com didn't have anything. I eventually stumbled upon an essay that was posted on some college website that also had a list of movies at the bottom of it. If I didn't have any of those, I'd have no idea how I'd find one without going through a bunch of my movies and guessing from the plot descriptions.

Overall, I liked the checklist even if it doesn't seem like it.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 12:08 PM
  #528  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,732
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
We have a great Challenge going this month, the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge. If you don't come up with something for it we can pick something for you.
Good job pimping the MYOC Challenge.
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
...And I don't think women understand how a movie can suck but is worth watching because some starlet who appeared in 2 or 3 of these films is nekkid in it. I know I've gained a few new crushes. Candice Rialson from Chatterbox and Hollywood Boulevard, Angel Tompkins from The Teacher, Cindy and Donna actresses, Claudia Jennings, The Nightcall Nurses actresses.
If you like Debbie Osborne (the cute little redhead from Cindy and Donna), I have two words for you; Tobacco Roody. Get SWV's Sexy South set (if it's still available) and you'll have almost half of her movies (as listed on IMDb). I want to find a copy of The Manson Massacre. I saw the trailer Saturday night, and she's only in one quick shot (I think), but I noticed her immediately.
Dimension X is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 12:22 PM
  #529  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 278
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
If you like Debbie Osborne (the cute little redhead from Cindy and Donna), I have two words for you; Tobacco Roody. Get SWV's Sexy South set (if it's still available) and you'll have almost half of her movies (as listed on IMDb). I want to find a copy of The Manson Massacre. I saw the trailer Saturday night, and she's only in one quick shot (I think), but I noticed her immediately.
Thanks for the Debbie Osborne tip, I loved her in "Cindy and Donna". She also has a short but great scene in "The Toy Box". I'm gonna look for that Sexy South set ASAP!
Chet Desmond is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 12:26 PM
  #530  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 278
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
We have a great Challenge going this month, the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge. If you don't come up with something for it we can pick something for you.
I'd love to jump back into something but I neglected so much stuff in April it's gonna take me until the horror challenge to catch up!
Chet Desmond is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 01:50 PM
  #531  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,732
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond View Post
Thanks for the Debbie Osborne tip, I loved her in "Cindy and Donna". She also has a short but great scene in "The Toy Box". I'm gonna look for that Sexy South set ASAP!
I have The Toy Box, but it's been a long time since I watched it. I'll have to check it out again because I don't remember her in it.
Originally Posted by Chet Desmond View Post
I'd love to jump back into something but I neglected so much stuff in April it's gonna take me until the horror challenge to catch up!
Just set yourself an easy goal (like watching a trilogy or something) and spread it out through the month.
Dimension X is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 02:00 PM
  #532  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,031
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
I have The Toy Box, but it's been a long time since I watched it. I'll have to check it out again because I don't remember her in it.
She shows up pretty late in the film (Hint-She's "Taller" than usual) There's actually a high number of hotties in that movie. Malta's my favorite (Blonde in the van)
Mondo Kane is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 03:10 PM
  #533  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 323
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

I'd like to add my thanks to caligulathegod for hosting this challenge. This was the first time I tried one of these and I had a great time. I was surprised that I actually made it to 74 films most of them first time viewings. I developed a new fondness for Sword and Sandal epics and swamp movies and was able to watch all but one of the films by Don Dohler. I recommend a Dohler film or two to anyone for next year's challenge.

I really liked the fact that commentaries counted (even though I just did one) and that serials were allowed. I also found the safe lists useful. Speaking of which I propose adding Bill Rebane to the lists for next time. I'm pretty sure he's not there and I think he qualifies.

Thanks again!

Last edited by omike; 05-06-10 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Corrected the spelling of Mr. Rebane's name
omike is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 03:55 PM
  #534  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 278
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by omike View Post
Speaking of which I propose adding Bill Rabane to the lists for next time. I'm pretty sure he's not there and I think he qualifies.
Anybody that can craft something like "The Giant Spider Invasion" should always be welcome here!
Chet Desmond is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 05:32 PM
  #535  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
I'd say drop Emmanuelle Film, since that still leaves 4 other sexploitation things to do, or even knock them all off and just have sexploitation as the only one. I'd have more fun with 1 sexploitation and changing the other 4 to their own types of films.

I'd only keep the Bruce Lee and Ninja choices in the martial arts section.

Have some examples of movies for each type. I had no clue what Roadshow Exploitation/30s-40s "Cautionary" films and Mildred Pierce/Douglas Sirk melodrama type "Women's Pictures" from the 40s-60s was off the top of my head. Just saying Reefer Madness would've instantly tipped me off the the first one.

Figuring out Mildred was a pain. Those wiki links didn't have anything. http://www.grindhousedatabase.com didn't have anything. I eventually stumbled upon an essay that was posted on some college website that also had a list of movies at the bottom of it. If I didn't have any of those, I'd have no idea how I'd find one without going through a bunch of my movies and guessing from the plot descriptions.

Overall, I liked the checklist even if it doesn't seem like it.
One of the suggestions I had given for the other challenges' checklists was to change up some of the more specific categories instead of just adding more each year. The Sexploitation category is such a historical part of the genre I'd hate to lose the Nudie Cutie and Roughies, but my thought was it would be interesting to have the occasional "specific" category but change it every year. There's like a 100 Emanuelle films so it was a natural. I'm thinking maybe Teenage Sex Comedy for next year, like Porky's or The Last American Virgin type films. Maybe have Black Kung fu films in the Martial arts instead of Bruce Li films, too.

I probably should have copied over the descriptions from the "interest" thread. I had listed "30s and 40s cautionary stories about the alleged dangers of premarital sex and drug use. Examples include Marihuana, Mom and Dad, Reefer Madness, Sex Madness, Child Bride and She Shoulda Said No!."

Since I named it B-Movie challenge, I felt obligated to include B-Movies on the checklist, but since only the hardcore really use the checklist, I'm going to pare it down to the exploitation and drive-in stuff. B-movies will still be in the description and allowed, but won't be on the checklist.

Originally Posted by omike View Post
I'd like to add my thanks to caligulathegod for hosting this challenge. This was the first time I tried one of these and I had a great time. I was surprised that I actually made it to 74 films most of them first time viewings. I developed a new fondness for Sword and Sandal epics and swamp movies and was able to watch all but one of the films by Don Dohler. I recommend a Dohler film or two to anyone for next year's challenge.

I really liked the fact that commentaries counted (even though I just did one) and that serials were allowed. I also found the safe lists useful. Speaking of which I propose adding Bill Rabane to the lists for next time. I'm pretty sure he's not there and I think he qualifies.

Thanks again!
I always figure the success of these challenges are measured in drawing out lurkers to participate, so I appreciate that. I intended to have Bill Rebane, but it slipped my mind. I even have an autographed Bill Rebane poster hanging in my living room.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-04-10 at 05:34 PM.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 05-04-10, 11:09 PM
  #536  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Coast, Cali
Posts: 447
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I'll give everyone a week to make sure his list is updated before I do the tallies.

Out of curiosity, did we have any female participation? This really did seem to be a "guy's challenge."
I'm a female participant... but I only got 2 movies listed.. so I use participant lightly.
HyperWeather is offline  
Old 05-05-10, 12:16 AM
  #537  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Well, cool Glad you joined us.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 05-14-10, 08:41 AM
  #538  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Results thread is up.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 05-14-10, 10:30 AM
  #539  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,499
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Results thread is up.
Link.

Great job ctg, thanks for your obvious hard work on both the results/stats and the whole Challenge!
Trevor is offline  
Old 05-31-10, 09:29 AM
  #540  
Senior Member
 
ororama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

It seems that this was the first challenge that I've followed that had no bickering about the lists. The planning discussions were focused on reaching consensus about making rules that would best serve the challenge, and the discussion during the challenge was directed toward encouraging others. All the challenges should go like this.

Congratulations to the organizers and participants.

I forgot to say this earlier, and didn't want to leave it unsaid.
ororama is offline  
Old 05-31-10, 09:38 AM
  #541  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

I agree, this challenge ran smoother than any of the others. I'm looking forward to next year, as I still have quite a few unwatched Russ Meyer films!
NoirFan is offline  
Old 05-31-10, 01:17 PM
  #542  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Thanks. "I stand upon the shoulders of giants."

One thing, just like I avoided Horror all year, I now find myself setting aside exploitation movies I missed for next year. During Horror and Sci Fi, I find that I have seen nearly everything I ever wanted to see and it is actually a revisit of old favorites, so if I want to have first time viewings I have to make a real effort. With exploitation, there's still hundreds of films I am aware of but have never seen.

I will say, I've been stockpiling Blu-rays for the Sci Fi challenge, so I can't wait. Some cool stuff is still coming, like Galaxy of Terror, Death Race 2000 and Flash Gordon.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 05-31-10, 01:39 PM
  #543  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Yeah, I'm hoping that the various Corman films are available from Netflix before the end of July. I'm probably going to up my plan to 2-at-a-time just for the Sc-Fi Challenge.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 05-31-10, 01:53 PM
  #544  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,499
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I will say, I've been stockpiling Blu-rays for the Sci Fi challenge, so I can't wait. Some cool stuff is still coming, like Galaxy of Terror, Death Race 2000 and Flash Gordon.
I've been stockpiling blu-rays for about a year, and am now in the process of finally watching them, Challenge by Challenge.

Watched the LOTR ones for Make-Your-Own, a few War ones today, Westerns for June, etc etc

Going to relax for the next few Challenges and just do 30-50 per month like 'normal'.
Trevor is offline  
Old 05-31-10, 02:00 PM
  #545  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,031
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
in all fariness though 'Electronic Lover' was quite entertaining, despite the annoying lead and a couple of scenes that went on a tad too long. The story and premise were very interesting - a pre-avatar/'Strange Days' - the visuals worked and where and how the story ended - the more I think of it, there's alot I should really credit this movie for doing.

BTW thanks for the rcommendation.
Still a proud moment for me to have introduced this unknown oddity to somebody
Mondo Kane is offline  
Old 05-31-10, 02:11 PM
  #546  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

I'm actually kind of excited that Lord of the Rings is welcome in the SF challenge now, too. That and my Blu-ray of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal. Fantasy will really freshen up the SF Challenge.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 06-01-10, 11:54 PM
  #547  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by ororama View Post
It seems that this was the first challenge that I've followed that had no bickering about the lists. The planning discussions were focused on reaching consensus about making rules that would best serve the challenge, and the discussion during the challenge was directed toward encouraging others. All the challenges should go like this.

Congratulations to the organizers and participants.

I forgot to say this earlier, and didn't want to leave it unsaid.
Before I get a big head, I want to note that I was probably one of the bigger PITA in the other challenges, anyway.
caligulathegod is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.