Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 05-04-10, 08:15 AM

Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

^ that reminds me to actually fill out the safe list. All in all I quite enjoyed the challenge, but unlike past other challenges, I don't know what happened, but I just kind of petered out there near the end - not for lack of material but ... something.
Old 05-04-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
checklists
I'd say drop Emmanuelle Film, since that still leaves 4 other sexploitation things to do, or even knock them all off and just have sexploitation as the only one. I'd have more fun with 1 sexploitation and changing the other 4 to their own types of films.

I'd only keep the Bruce Lee and Ninja choices in the martial arts section.

Have some examples of movies for each type. I had no clue what Roadshow Exploitation/30s-40s "Cautionary" films and Mildred Pierce/Douglas Sirk melodrama type "Women's Pictures" from the 40s-60s was off the top of my head. Just saying Reefer Madness would've instantly tipped me off the the first one.

Figuring out Mildred was a pain. Those wiki links didn't have anything. http://www.grindhousedatabase.com didn't have anything. I eventually stumbled upon an essay that was posted on some college website that also had a list of movies at the bottom of it. If I didn't have any of those, I'd have no idea how I'd find one without going through a bunch of my movies and guessing from the plot descriptions.

Overall, I liked the checklist even if it doesn't seem like it.
Old 05-04-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
We have a great Challenge going this month, the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge. If you don't come up with something for it we can pick something for you.
Good job pimping the MYOC Challenge.
...And I don't think women understand how a movie can suck but is worth watching because some starlet who appeared in 2 or 3 of these films is nekkid in it. I know I've gained a few new crushes. Candice Rialson from Chatterbox and Hollywood Boulevard, Angel Tompkins from The Teacher, Cindy and Donna actresses, Claudia Jennings, The Nightcall Nurses actresses.
If you like Debbie Osborne (the cute little redhead from Cindy and Donna), I have two words for you; Tobacco Roody. Get SWV's Sexy South set (if it's still available) and you'll have almost half of her movies (as listed on IMDb). I want to find a copy of The Manson Massacre. I saw the trailer Saturday night, and she's only in one quick shot (I think), but I noticed her immediately.
Old 05-04-10, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
If you like Debbie Osborne (the cute little redhead from Cindy and Donna), I have two words for you; Tobacco Roody. Get SWV's Sexy South set (if it's still available) and you'll have almost half of her movies (as listed on IMDb). I want to find a copy of The Manson Massacre. I saw the trailer Saturday night, and she's only in one quick shot (I think), but I noticed her immediately.
Thanks for the Debbie Osborne tip, I loved her in "Cindy and Donna". She also has a short but great scene in "The Toy Box". I'm gonna look for that Sexy South set ASAP!
Old 05-04-10, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
We have a great Challenge going this month, the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge. If you don't come up with something for it we can pick something for you.
I'd love to jump back into something but I neglected so much stuff in April it's gonna take me until the horror challenge to catch up!
Old 05-04-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond View Post
Thanks for the Debbie Osborne tip, I loved her in "Cindy and Donna". She also has a short but great scene in "The Toy Box". I'm gonna look for that Sexy South set ASAP!
I have The Toy Box, but it's been a long time since I watched it. I'll have to check it out again because I don't remember her in it.
Originally Posted by Chet Desmond View Post
I'd love to jump back into something but I neglected so much stuff in April it's gonna take me until the horror challenge to catch up!
Just set yourself an easy goal (like watching a trilogy or something) and spread it out through the month.
Old 05-04-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
I have The Toy Box, but it's been a long time since I watched it. I'll have to check it out again because I don't remember her in it.
She shows up pretty late in the film (Hint-She's "Taller" than usual) There's actually a high number of hotties in that movie. Malta's my favorite (Blonde in the van)
Old 05-04-10, 03:10 PM

I'd like to add my thanks to caligulathegod for hosting this challenge. This was the first time I tried one of these and I had a great time. I was surprised that I actually made it to 74 films most of them first time viewings. I developed a new fondness for Sword and Sandal epics and swamp movies and was able to watch all but one of the films by Don Dohler. I recommend a Dohler film or two to anyone for next year's challenge.

I really liked the fact that commentaries counted (even though I just did one) and that serials were allowed. I also found the safe lists useful. Speaking of which I propose adding Bill Rebane to the lists for next time. I'm pretty sure he's not there and I think he qualifies.

Thanks again!

Last edited by omike; 05-06-10 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Corrected the spelling of Mr. Rebane's name
Old 05-04-10, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by omike View Post
Speaking of which I propose adding Bill Rabane to the lists for next time. I'm pretty sure he's not there and I think he qualifies.
Anybody that can craft something like "The Giant Spider Invasion" should always be welcome here!
Old 05-04-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
I'd say drop Emmanuelle Film, since that still leaves 4 other sexploitation things to do, or even knock them all off and just have sexploitation as the only one. I'd have more fun with 1 sexploitation and changing the other 4 to their own types of films.

I'd only keep the Bruce Lee and Ninja choices in the martial arts section.

Have some examples of movies for each type. I had no clue what Roadshow Exploitation/30s-40s "Cautionary" films and Mildred Pierce/Douglas Sirk melodrama type "Women's Pictures" from the 40s-60s was off the top of my head. Just saying Reefer Madness would've instantly tipped me off the the first one.

Figuring out Mildred was a pain. Those wiki links didn't have anything. http://www.grindhousedatabase.com didn't have anything. I eventually stumbled upon an essay that was posted on some college website that also had a list of movies at the bottom of it. If I didn't have any of those, I'd have no idea how I'd find one without going through a bunch of my movies and guessing from the plot descriptions.

Overall, I liked the checklist even if it doesn't seem like it.
One of the suggestions I had given for the other challenges' checklists was to change up some of the more specific categories instead of just adding more each year. The Sexploitation category is such a historical part of the genre I'd hate to lose the Nudie Cutie and Roughies, but my thought was it would be interesting to have the occasional "specific" category but change it every year. There's like a 100 Emanuelle films so it was a natural. I'm thinking maybe Teenage Sex Comedy for next year, like Porky's or The Last American Virgin type films. Maybe have Black Kung fu films in the Martial arts instead of Bruce Li films, too.

I probably should have copied over the descriptions from the "interest" thread. I had listed "30s and 40s cautionary stories about the alleged dangers of premarital sex and drug use. Examples include Marihuana, Mom and Dad, Reefer Madness, Sex Madness, Child Bride and She Shoulda Said No!."

Since I named it B-Movie challenge, I felt obligated to include B-Movies on the checklist, but since only the hardcore really use the checklist, I'm going to pare it down to the exploitation and drive-in stuff. B-movies will still be in the description and allowed, but won't be on the checklist.

Originally Posted by omike View Post
I'd like to add my thanks to caligulathegod for hosting this challenge. This was the first time I tried one of these and I had a great time. I was surprised that I actually made it to 74 films most of them first time viewings. I developed a new fondness for Sword and Sandal epics and swamp movies and was able to watch all but one of the films by Don Dohler. I recommend a Dohler film or two to anyone for next year's challenge.

I really liked the fact that commentaries counted (even though I just did one) and that serials were allowed. I also found the safe lists useful. Speaking of which I propose adding Bill Rabane to the lists for next time. I'm pretty sure he's not there and I think he qualifies.

Thanks again!
I always figure the success of these challenges are measured in drawing out lurkers to participate, so I appreciate that. I intended to have Bill Rebane, but it slipped my mind. I even have an autographed Bill Rebane poster hanging in my living room.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-04-10 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-04-10, 11:09 PM

I'll give everyone a week to make sure his list is updated before I do the tallies.

Out of curiosity, did we have any female participation? This really did seem to be a "guy's challenge."
I'm a female participant... but I only got 2 movies listed.. so I use participant lightly.
Old 05-05-10, 12:16 AM

Well, cool Glad you joined us.
Old 05-14-10, 08:41 AM

Results thread is up.
Old 05-14-10, 10:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Results thread is up.
Link.

Great job ctg, thanks for your obvious hard work on both the results/stats and the whole Challenge!
Old 05-31-10, 09:29 AM

It seems that this was the first challenge that I've followed that had no bickering about the lists. The planning discussions were focused on reaching consensus about making rules that would best serve the challenge, and the discussion during the challenge was directed toward encouraging others. All the challenges should go like this.

Congratulations to the organizers and participants.

I forgot to say this earlier, and didn't want to leave it unsaid.
Old 05-31-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, this challenge ran smoother than any of the others. I'm looking forward to next year, as I still have quite a few unwatched Russ Meyer films!
Old 05-31-10, 01:17 PM

Thanks. "I stand upon the shoulders of giants."

One thing, just like I avoided Horror all year, I now find myself setting aside exploitation movies I missed for next year. During Horror and Sci Fi, I find that I have seen nearly everything I ever wanted to see and it is actually a revisit of old favorites, so if I want to have first time viewings I have to make a real effort. With exploitation, there's still hundreds of films I am aware of but have never seen.

I will say, I've been stockpiling Blu-rays for the Sci Fi challenge, so I can't wait. Some cool stuff is still coming, like Galaxy of Terror, Death Race 2000 and Flash Gordon.
Old 05-31-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm hoping that the various Corman films are available from Netflix before the end of July. I'm probably going to up my plan to 2-at-a-time just for the Sc-Fi Challenge.
Old 05-31-10, 01:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I will say, I've been stockpiling Blu-rays for the Sci Fi challenge, so I can't wait. Some cool stuff is still coming, like Galaxy of Terror, Death Race 2000 and Flash Gordon.
I've been stockpiling blu-rays for about a year, and am now in the process of finally watching them, Challenge by Challenge.

Watched the LOTR ones for Make-Your-Own, a few War ones today, Westerns for June, etc etc

Going to relax for the next few Challenges and just do 30-50 per month like 'normal'.
Old 05-31-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
in all fariness though 'Electronic Lover' was quite entertaining, despite the annoying lead and a couple of scenes that went on a tad too long. The story and premise were very interesting - a pre-avatar/'Strange Days' - the visuals worked and where and how the story ended - the more I think of it, there's alot I should really credit this movie for doing.

BTW thanks for the rcommendation.
Still a proud moment for me to have introduced this unknown oddity to somebody
Old 05-31-10, 02:11 PM

I'm actually kind of excited that Lord of the Rings is welcome in the SF challenge now, too. That and my Blu-ray of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal. Fantasy will really freshen up the SF Challenge.
Old 06-01-10, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by ororama View Post
It seems that this was the first challenge that I've followed that had no bickering about the lists. The planning discussions were focused on reaching consensus about making rules that would best serve the challenge, and the discussion during the challenge was directed toward encouraging others. All the challenges should go like this.

Congratulations to the organizers and participants.

I forgot to say this earlier, and didn't want to leave it unsaid.
Before I get a big head, I want to note that I was probably one of the bigger PITA in the other challenges, anyway.