Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

I wound up watching 55 movies.

Next year, I think I'm going to take this challenge one step further, and limit myself to Midnite Movies. With over 100 films, there are more than enough to watch, and it'll give me a chance to rewatch some favorites I haven't seen in a while.

Rob
Old 05-01-10, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

This challenge runs through tonight, right? There was one or two more titles that I wanted get in before I finalized my list.
Old 05-01-10, 05:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
This challenge runs through tonight, right? There was one or two more titles that I wanted get in before I finalized my list.
I think we decided that it runs until dawn tomorrow.
Old 05-01-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, through dawn.
Old 05-01-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was flying along until the last couple of days, when I just got burned out and ended up watching almost nothing, despite having several titles all lined up. I ended up with 119, including 56 1st-time viewings, so I guess that's pretty solid, though I would have had about 14 more if I hadn't basically quit.
Old 05-02-10, 12:37 AM

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for participating. I had a good time watching these movies and managed to check out several that I'd never seen before. Hope everyone enjoyed it I'm looking forward to next year. I'll have tallies as soon as I can.
Old 05-02-10, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

A long-overdue challenge, if you ask me. The fact that I wasn't exhausted enough after reaching the 100-mark compared to other challenges here proves that I was eager enough to fill the slot with so many movies than I'm used to doing (I even had some plans to go through some til the dawn, but there's always next year, of course)

Alright, since I'm a traditionalist, time for some stats and "Awards".

Favorite movies (First-time viewing)
Turkey Shoot
Fighting Mad (aka Death Force)
Tarzoon-Shame of the Jungle
Day of the Animals
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
Satan's Sadists
Massacre Mafia Style
Cry Uncle
Glen or Glenda
Tourist Trap

Worst Movies
Helltrain
Final Exam
Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave
C.B. Hustlers

Favorite opening-title song:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/73zJZ1Rw5Rs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/73zJZ1Rw5Rs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I ran into quite a few of these, but ^That was the one that I still haven't got out of my head.

And as I did with the last Horror and Criterion Challenge, a (Quickly-thrown) compilation-vid of many highlights that I encountered:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvwLr3mUED8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvwLr3mUED8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Once again, thanks Caligulathegod for this wonderful idea.
Old 05-02-10, 07:50 AM

Thanks Caligula! I shattered my goal of 31 and had my mind thoroughly warped for an entire month. Can't wait 'till next year!
Old 05-02-10, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Well, I'd like to thank everyone for participating. I had a good time watching these movies and managed to check out several that I'd never seen before. Hope everyone enjoyed it I'm looking forward to next year. I'll have tallies as soon as I can.
We should be thanking you! Awesome job ctg, I had a great time exploring some genres that I had never seen before, and opening up some sets that had long sat on my shelves. Thanks for doing a great job in the planning and running of things here!
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
A long-overdue challenge, if you ask me. The fact that I wasn't exhausted enough after reaching the 100-mark compared to other challenges here proves that I was eager enough to fill the slot with so many movies than I'm used to doing (I even had some plans to go through some til the dawn, but there's always next year, of course)

And as I did with the last Horror and Criterion Challenge, a (Quickly-thrown) compilation-vid of many highlights that I encountered:

Once again, thanks Caligulathegod for this wonderful idea.
I agree MK, this is a perfect 'genre' for a Challenge. The randomness and uniqueness of the type of films available made it easy to keep plugging away.

Looking forward to watching your always fun video compilation once I get away from these media-blocking work computers.
Old 05-02-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Tourist Trap
I've long been a champion of this film as well - it has a wonderfully unsettling score, and the ending is genuinely creepy. And I'm glad to see someone else introduced to the unique world of Glen or Glenda! Ed Wood was the first director I got into as a kid.

Best Films: (1st-time viewings)
Over the Edge
Murder by Contract
God Told Me To
The Spook Who Sat By The Door
Hausu

Worst:
Penitentiary
13 Frightened Girls
Alice in Acidland
Cross of Iron
It Came from Hollywood
Old 05-02-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got to 100 last night and also finished the checklist using all the free spaces and not counting the optional ones I skipped.

Best: (1st-time viewings)
Johnny Firecloud
Eye of the Tiger
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Black Dynamite

Worst
ECCO
Transmorphers
Carry on Emmannuelle
Old 05-02-10, 10:31 AM

"13 Frightened Girls" as one of the worst? Noooooooooooo! Just the scene where the bad guys want to hang the teenage girl on a meathook should rescue it from the abyss!

Anyway....
My fave first time viewings from the challenge...
"Malatesta's Carnival of Blood"
"Black Caesar"
"American Nightmares" aka "Combat Shock"
"Rolling Thunder"
"Grand Theft Auto"
"Caged Heat"
"The Big Doll House"
"The Sadist"
"Hollywood Boulevard"
"Flesh for Frankenstein" (in 3D!)

Worst
"Van Nuys Blvd"
"The New Kids"
"The Ghastly Ones"
Not horrible, but after a brilliant original a huge disappointment, "Hell Up in Harlem"

And I now have a total crush on Roberta Collins!

Last edited by Chet Desmond; 05-03-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 11:45 AM

Great job with the challenge CTG. I only got to 22 but it's not how many you watch but how much fun you have watching them, and I had a blast.. but, like the penis analogy, it's only the ones with such small numbers who would say that.
Old 05-02-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great challenge! I came up way short of my original goal but still had a lot of fun. It got me to bust in to some movies I had been holding on to and a reason to check out some new films/directors. I'm excited for next years when I'll have more time to compile movies to watch.
Old 05-02-10, 04:01 PM

I topped out at fifty-three movies yesterday. The funny thing is that I'm not suffering from the "fatigue" that I felt after last year's horror movie challenge. The variety of genres definitely helps to stave off burnout.

Here's my ten best/worst lists for anybody that's interested. Titles in bold are first-time viewings.

10 Best Movies
  1. Heroes of the East
  2. The Terminator
  3. Lady Snowblood
  4. The Mighty Peking Man
  5. Savage Streets
  6. Fifty/Fifty
  7. Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
  8. Hustler Squad
  9. Slaughter
  10. The Ninja Strikes Back

10 Worst Movies (In Descending Order of Awfulness)
  1. Lady Street Fighter
  2. Bionic Ninja
  3. Ninja Terminator
  4. Konga
  5. The Violent Years
  6. Amazons and Supermen
  7. Ninja in the Killing Field
  8. The Image of Bruce Lee
  9. Shaolin Vs. Ninja
  10. War Goddess
All of these were first-time viewings. If I'm fortunate, they'll also be the last time I view them.

Last edited by nezumi; 05-02-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved this challenge. Wish I had another month, so much stuff yet to be seen.
Old 05-02-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
I topped out at fifty-three movies yesterday. The funny thing is that I'm not suffering from the "fatigue" that I felt after last year's horror movie challenge. The variety of genres definitely helps to stave off burnout.
Two things that help me with fatigue are doing checklists, since they force some variety. Second thing is to keep a stack of fun films to save for when you start getting burnt out on some of the less than stellar stuff.
Old 05-02-10, 07:05 PM

I almost feel a bit like a recovered alcoholic. I think "I have some time. I should be watching a movie" then I realize "Oh yeah, I don't do that anymore".
Is it April 2011 yet?
Old 05-02-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

This was a really great challenge. Thank you to everyone involved that got this going. Easily my favorite genre of film getting this much love is awesome.

I only got to watch 9 films in the entire month of April due to a really shitty work schedule and a 3 day trip out of state.

Oh well, maybe more next time.
Old 05-02-10, 11:35 PM

I'll give everyone a week to make sure his list is updated before I do the tallies.

Out of curiosity, did we have any female participation? This really did seem to be a "guy's challenge."

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-02-10 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...Out of curiosity, did we have any female participation? This really did seem to be a "guy's challenge."
i could be mistaken, but i think always think of this forum more of a "guys" forum

but great challenge cali! i am happy with my measely 17 total that i participated in the first of hopefully many to come
Old 05-03-10, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
I almost feel a bit like a recovered alcoholic. I think "I have some time. I should be watching a movie" then I realize "Oh yeah, I don't do that anymore".
Is it April 2011 yet?
We have a great Challenge going this month, the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge. If you don't come up with something for it we can pick something for you.
Originally Posted by hindolio
i could be mistaken, but i think always think of this forum more of a "guys" forum

but great challenge cali! i am happy with my measely 17 total that i participated in the first of hopefully many to come
I always imagine all the forum members who claim to be female to really be 40 year old men who weigh 400 pounds.
Old 05-03-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

This really did seem to be a "guy's challenge."
Yeah, all those Russ Meyer, Doris Wishman and Andy Sidaris flicks probably scared them off.

Couldn't believe I hit 100; had to go into overdrive the last few days, but it was a fun ride. Of course all those 60-minute movies didn't hurt. Thanks for hosting one hell of a challenge, CTG!
Old 05-03-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This was a cool challenge. I didn't make half of my goal, but still had fun. Managed to see Andy Sidaris on the big screen. Thanks to the Mayfair for securing a 35mm pristine print from Sidaris' own private collection, courtesy of the late director's wife. Also got to see films by Joe D'Amato and Tobe Hooper in 35mm, so that made the challenge more interesting for me.
Old 05-04-10, 03:52 AM

...And I don't think women understand how a movie can suck but is worth watching because some starlet who appeared in 2 or 3 of these films is nekkid in it. I know I've gained a few new crushes. Candice Rialson from Chatterbox and Hollywood Boulevard, Angel Tompkins from The Teacher, Cindy and Donna actresses, Claudia Jennings, The Nightcall Nurses actresses.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, especially Chad, since he started all this mess. It's like impressing George Romero with your own Zombie film.

I'm open to suggestions for next year or confirmations of things that went well. I liked the safe lists and how they integrated into the checklists.

After I compile the stats, we'll announce prizes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.