Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 03-06-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

caligulathegod, you might want to add Larry Cohen, Ted V. Mikels and Paul Morrissey to the director's list, and Linda Blair to the actor's.
Old 03-06-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Ooh, how did I miss them? I was even planning to watch a Blue/Amber Anaglyph 3-D print of Flesh For Frankenstein that recently aired in Great Britain that I acquired, and I have a Larry Cohen poster (It's Alive) hanging in my living room.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 03-06-10 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-07-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's also David Cronenberg, though Videodrome is arguably his cut-off point for inclusion.
Old 03-07-10, 05:46 PM

Obviously, most of Cronenberg's films would be eligible. I was reluctant to put him on the automatic safe list since he seems to have moved on to the mainstream.

A note: We have a sponsor and prizes! See the first post in the thread for details.
Old 03-07-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod

A note: We have a sponsor and prizes! See the first post in the thread for details.
Just curious, how did you go about getting them to sponsor? I might be interested in trying to get something going for the sci-fi challenge.
Old 03-07-10, 11:15 PM

I was contacted by a member of the staff at DVD Talk back in January. The gentleman who does the weekly newsletter and front page blurbs did all the work.
Old 03-07-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

for the sponser & prizes!
Old 03-08-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in for this. I'll never get to 100, but it'll give me a chance knock a few movies off my unwatched pile.
Old 03-08-10, 05:18 PM

I'll be lucky to get to 100, myself. I'm a bit busier than usual, but these are my favorite types of movies (along with Horror) so whatever I get to watch will be fun. I've been collecting these movies forever and now I'll have an excuse to watch them.
Old 03-08-10, 05:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'll be lucky to get to 100, myself. I'm a bit busier than usual, but these are my favorite types of movies (along with Horror) so whatever I get to watch will be fun. I've been collecting these movies forever and now I'll have an excuse to watch them.
Yeah, 100 is going to be tough, but I think I'm going to go for it. I probably have at least 500 films that qualify, many of them unwatched, and many in easy to plow thru compilation packs.

I'll try to come up with a schedule to make it easier, so as not to get burned out on too many 'bad' films of one type. Maybe I'll put a MST3K film every 10 films to reward myself.
Old 03-08-10, 05:45 PM

During the Horror challenge, I always wing it. I don't even look at the checklist til the last week. I'd be extremely surprised if anyone actually finishes this challenge's checklist (which will be coming soon). I'm going to need to be a bit more organized during this one, since I probably have 500 of my own.
Old 03-08-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be extremely surprised if anyone actually finishes this challenge's checklist (which will be coming soon).
Sounds like a challenge. I don't normally watch stuff to check things off but in this case I will.

I am trying to do the unwatched checklist but that's an easy one.
Old 03-08-10, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll try to come up with a schedule to make it easier, so as not to get burned out on too many 'bad' films of one type. Maybe I'll put a MST3K film every 10 films to reward myself.
I plan on throwing in some classic drive-in stuff if I need a battery recharge. "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" "Rock and Roll High School" or "Death Race 2000" can foritify me for at least ten crap-o-ramas!
Old 03-08-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Any chance of a checklist? I find that those really help guide my viewing, and give me some structure.
Old 03-08-10, 11:33 PM

I'm down for this. It's a nice stop gap while biding my time for the horror challenge and it'll give me an excuse to get to all of the exploitation films I have but haven't watched yet. I don't know how busy I'll be that month so I'm not even sure how many I'll be able to get to. I don't think I'm even going to worry about hitting 100 and just have fun when I can.

Since some here might be interested, (and please, if this comes across as nothing but self promoting, just let me know and I'll take it off as that's not why I'm posting it) here's the beginnings of a documentary that I started working on that kind of ties in to the challenge. Hope you enjoy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHXNg1Jh6EY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHXNg1Jh6EY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 03-09-10, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Any chance of a checklist? I find that those really help guide my viewing, and give me some structure.
Yeah, the checklist is coming. It will be strongly based upon the original post along with a year by year and then a limited list of the most representative directors and actors. I have too many of those listed for them all to be on the checklist, but some are guaranteed, like Russ Meyer, Jack Hill, Doug McClure, etc.

Originally Posted by dcrw6
I'm down for this. It's a nice stop gap while biding my time for the horror challenge and it'll give me an excuse to get to all of the exploitation films I have but haven't watched yet. I don't know how busy I'll be that month so I'm not even sure how many I'll be able to get to. I don't think I'm even going to worry about hitting 100 and just have fun when I can.

Since some here might be interested, (and please, if this comes across as nothing but self promoting, just let me know and I'll take it off as that's not why I'm posting it) here's the beginnings of a documentary that I started working on that kind of ties in to the challenge. Hope you enjoy.
I'm less interested in the 100 thing as much as exploiting (pun intended) the breadth of choices for this challenge and killing off those multi movie sets, like the BCI Drive-In Cult classics. The other challenges are limited to specific genres and this one is more a level and style of filmmaking that encompasses nearly all genres. It will have some overlap with the other challenges, but we're going to be exactly 6 months from the Horror challenge, so that will help. I tend to avoid the Sci-Fi B-movies so I can watch those in July for the Sci-Fi challenge.

The doc looks cool. If it gets close to 40 minutes, then we can even count it.
Old 03-09-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which is the best Dragon Dynasty title on Blu-ray? I have one Netflix slot available for next month after adding a few Blue Underground titles, and I figured I'd use it for a King-Fu flick.
Old 03-09-10, 10:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm looking forward to watching my Russ Meyer UK box set and the Emmanuelle Box films. I also plan on buying the new 'Nunsploitation Convent Collection' (Cult Epics) that I saw an ad for in Film Comment, and watching 'Caligula' for the umpteenth time but with the Helen Mirren commentary track this go around and in hidef.
Old 03-10-10, 10:52 PM

This is cool, dont get we wrong, but WHERE THE HELL are you coming off with accepting films from TARANTINO, ELI ROTH, ROB ZOMBIE??? I enjoy Tarantino's films (the other two are hacks) but I would never consider him for this kind of challenge.

And Billy Blanks, Hulk Hogan, and Chuck Norris ??!?!?!

Anyways, here are my suggestions to add.....

Distributors- Code Red, Grindhouse Releasings, Shriek Show, No Shame, Blue Underground, MYA Communications

Actors/Actresses- Uschi Digard, Edwige Fenech, Rudy Ray Moore, Joe Spinell, Fred Williamson, Reiko Ike, David Hess, Roger Watkins, Harry Reems, Dyanne Thorne, Mariangela Giordano

Directors- Zebedy Colt, Roger Watkins, Alejandro Jodorowsky, David Lynch, Kenneth Anger, Andrea Bianchi
Old 03-11-10, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by EddieDingle
This is cool, dont get we wrong, but WHERE THE HELL are you coming off with accepting films from TARANTINO, ELI ROTH, ROB ZOMBIE??? I enjoy Tarantino's films (the other two are hacks) but I would never consider him for this kind of challenge.

Anyways, here are my suggestions to add.....

Distributors- Code Red, Grindhouse Releasings, Shriek Show, No Shame, Blue Underground, MYA Communications

Actors/Actresses- Uschi Digard, Edwige Fenech, Rudy Ray Moore, Joe Spinell, Fred Williamson, Reiko Ike, David Hess, Roger Watkins, Harry Reems, Dyanne Thorne, Mariangela Giordano

Directors- Zebedy Colt, Roger Watkins, Alejandro Jodorowsky, David Lynch, Kenneth Anger, Andrea Bianchi
Tarantino, Roth and Zombie's films are all pastiches on B-Movies. They are perhaps more well known and successful, but their films all reflect a heavy influence of the types of films intended for this challenge.

Since a lot of these people are relatively obscure, I relied on several lists of folk involved in these types of films, with my own contributions and folk's suggestions. Billy Blanks, Hulk Hogan both seem to have pretty shitty filmographies, so they are safe. Cameos in good films don't count. Chuck Norris made mostly American martial arts films and some shitty B-moive action films. I think he's an asshole, but I can't argue with his shitty films.

I'll add those names. Not sure about David Lynch, though. He's had a few mainstream films. Most of his films are still eligible, though. He's just not automatically safe.
Old 03-11-10, 07:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Documentaries about B-movies/etc would be cool, right?
Old 03-11-10, 08:01 AM

Yeah. I have one on David Friedman and another on William Castle. I want to encompass all aspects of this type of cinema.
Old 03-11-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Code:
Distributors:

* Troma Entertainment
    * Something Weird Video
    * Hammer Film Productions
    * The Asylum
    * Bci / Eclipse
    * Mill Creek Entertainment
    * Blue Underground
    * Dark Sky Films
    * Full Moon
    * New Concorde
    * August Underground
    * Panik House
    * Code Red 
    * Grindhouse Releasings 
    * Shriek Show 
    * No Shame 
    * Blue Underground 
    * MYA Communications
Blue Underground is now on the list twice.

I'll suggest adding Mondo Macabro, Seduction Cinema/Retro Seduction Cinema, and Synapse to the list.
Old 03-11-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieDingle
That mid 80's/early 90's action-dreck really isn't my thing, but if there's one Chuck Norris movie that would get approval from me then that would have to be Silent Rage. Chuck meets Michael Myers for chrissake!
Old 03-11-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I have one on David Friedman and another on William Castle. I want to encompass all aspects of this type of cinema.
Also in my queue: Baadasssss Cinema, Not Quite Hollywood, It Came From Hollywood and The Haunted World of Edward D. Wood, Jr..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.