DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/570157-first-annual-b-movie-exploitation-drive-movie-challenge-discussion-thread.html)

orlmac 04-02-10 07:05 PM

Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Can anyone tell me if Outbreak or The Deep qualify. I tend to think so but would like other opinions.

BuddhaWake 04-02-10 07:49 PM

Re: First Annual B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

ong bak 2 counts right? because I haven't seen it yet and would like to count. Can anyone believe I've never seen cannibal holocaust? I know, I'm ashamed too.

Trevor 04-02-10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac (Post 10085447)
Can anyone tell me if Outbreak or The Deep qualify. I tend to think so but would like other opinions.

I'd tend to think not even close. Both were big name movies with huge stars and major marketing.

Dimension X 04-02-10 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake (Post 10085485)
Can anyone believe I've never seen cannibal holocaust? I know, I'm ashamed too.

I've never seen it either. I believe I'll rectify that this month.

Giles 04-02-10 08:56 PM

I'm revoking you're DVDTalk cred points for not having seen 'Cannibal Holocaust' both of you - unexcusable! ;)

Dimension X 04-02-10 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10085567)
I'm revoking you're DVDTalk cred points for not having seen 'Cannibal Holocaust' both of you - unexcusable! ;)

:lol: ...

:sad: ....

:lol:

caligulathegod 04-02-10 11:07 PM

Outbreak = no. It's big Budget Sc-Fi.
The Deep = This movie was pretty instrumental in the founding of the Wet T-Shirt Contest. I can't think of any other reason to include it, though. It's not in a specific genre listed and really isn't exploitative nor stars any exploitation actors. I'm usually pretty good at finding some hook, but I don't see it here. Convince me.
Ong Bak 2 = Sure.

Giles 04-02-10 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 10085632)
:lol: ...

:sad: ....

:lol:

cheeky bastard ....

:D

SethDLH 04-03-10 12:04 AM

About to reenact one of my favorite nights from the horror challenge... a 6 pack and troll 2 :D

caligulathegod 04-03-10 12:29 AM

If you ever get the chance to see "Best Worst Movie" about Troll 2, do so. It's great. It reminds me of King of Kong.

LickTheABCs 04-03-10 01:00 AM

Black Dynamite is fucking awesome. That is all.

orlmac 04-03-10 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 10085694)
Outbreak = no. It's big Budget Sc-Fi.
The Deep = This movie was pretty instrumental in the founding of the Wet T-Shirt Contest. I can't think of any other reason to include it, though. It's not in a specific genre listed and really isn't exploitative nor stars any exploitation actors. I'm usually pretty good at finding some hook, but I don't see it here. Convince me.
Ong Bak 2 = Sure.

Having just finished watching Outbreak I see that it is definitely big budget. The plot sounded to me like a B-Movie but I see the difference. I haven't watched The Deep in probably 20 years but my memory was that Jacqueline Bisset seemed to me to have more of an exploitative role (as you mentioned) and I have always thought that Nick Nolte can't act but that doesn't mean that it would qualify here.

SethDLH 04-03-10 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 10085777)
If you ever get the chance to see "Best Worst Movie" about Troll 2, do so. It's great. It reminds me of King of Kong.

I've seen bits and pieces and its made me want to see the whole thing. I'll have to search for it online.

SethDLH 04-03-10 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs (Post 10085806)
Black Dynamite is fucking awesome. That is all.

correct.

Trevor 04-03-10 09:08 AM

Let me stir something up, regarding the "a film can only be counted once per list" rule. I realize that this rule is probably just a carry over from the Horror Challenge, but even for that one I'd like to argue against the rule.

Let's say you watch movie x and it perfectly fits the spirit of the Challenge and obviously 'counts'.

Someone else watches the same movie with film historian commentary. It also perfectly fits the spirit of the Challenge and 'counts', but gives a completely different experience to the viewer.

So why are two competely different experiences, both perfectly acceptable and 'countable' on their own, not able to be counted separately?

The only two arguments for this rule that I can think of are that one, it makes it too easy to accumulate numbers. This makes no sense. Watching something that counts is watching something that counts. Watching a film with commentary is a completely different experience from watching a film as is. Watching a film 'a second time' takes the same amount of time as watching a different film, and requires the same amount of physical and mental 'effort'.

The only other argument I can see is that commentaries shouldn't count at all. I doubt many people would agree with that. If you do, you'd have to eliminate documentaries as well.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal to me, but the rule never made sense to me and I was curious what the rest of you thought about it. Personally, I don't have time to watch any commentaries this month, as I have other goals for the next few months. Edit to add: I'm way ahead of schedule on those goals, so am now moving on to another goal for the year: watch the special features (mainly commentaries) on 52 titles this year.

But if someone watches the perfect B movie, and then watches it again with commentary learning about the creators and process of making the film and the whole genre, it should easily count as two imo.

SethDLH 04-03-10 09:20 AM

I agree that you should be able to watch a movie a 2nd time (or 3rd, 4th...) if it has different commentary tracks. Some releases have upwards of 4 or 5 commentaries each with different cast and crew that will offer up different insight.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 04-03-10 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 10085694)
Ong Bak 2 = Sure.

Really? The first one was a huge movie in Asia. edit: Not complaining, just asking

Mondo Kane, there were actually 3 sequels in the Angel series. The 4th movie, Angel 4: Undercover, is only available on VHS as far as I know. I have my copy :)

caligulathegod 04-03-10 12:25 PM

Ong Bak makes it in by virtue of Genre. I'm inclined towards any Martial Arts Wuxia film regardless of quality. Participants in the "groove" of the challenge will choose right, but if someone wants to participate and watch something higher class I won't stop them. Yes, this does contradict the Horror and Sci-Fi rules in this challenge. What can I say?

The original rule I proposed for commentaries was to allow them but at a cost. I like commentaries (I'm an old school laserdisc guy), but I always felt that in a movie challenge it shouldn't be too much of an imposition to expect people to actually watch the movies. Plus, part of the challenge in this challenge is having to sit through some real shit, preferably without the crutch of a commentary to make it bearable. Now, some of these movies, if there is a commentary, it's probably irresistible. How about we keep the "either/or", but also amend it to include an additional viewing for, say, 50% credit?

Trevor 04-03-10 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 10086213)
The original rule I proposed for commentaries was to allow them but at a cost. I like commentaries (I'm an old school laserdisc guy), but I always felt that in a movie challenge it shouldn't be too much of an imposition to expect people to actually watch the movies. Plus, part of the challenge in this challenge is having to sit through some real shit, preferably without the crutch of a commentary to make it bearable. Now, some of these movies, if there is a commentary, it's probably irresistible. How about we keep the "either/or", but also amend it to include an additional viewing for, say, 50% credit?

That's better than nothing! I now resolve to watch at least one, just to have that .5 in my final total.

Your post nicely shows the slight difference people have about the basic nature of these Challenges.

Some people want to keep them movie challenges, disallowing all other content. I'm the other extreme wanting to allow virtually everything and not even having counting. Most people are somewhere in the middle.

NoirFan 04-03-10 01:46 PM

13 Frightened Girls is a really odd movie. It's a square Disney-esque kiddie flick, complete with campy, obvious score and an earnest Nancy Drew-type lead, clearly aimed at the 'tween market, but there's also a few fairly graphic murders and creepily depicted adolescent sexuality awkwardly shoehorned in. A rocky start to the Castle box set.

caligulathegod 04-03-10 02:19 PM

It really depends on the challenge. I think one needs to look at the genre and decide what makes it up. Horror is Movies. It's very well represented and when one thinks of Horror, one thinks of movies. As far as commentaries in Horror, I've always felt that Horror is trying to invoke an emotion , be it fear, disgust or whatever, so commentaries (while informative and entertaining) undercut the effect. Science Fiction is movies, too, but when one thinks of Science Fiction, TV shows tend to be the first impression one has. Star Trek, Lost in Space, Battlestar Galactica, Captain Video and Tom Corbett Space Cadet-type of cheesy 50s shows, etc. Sci-Fi IS TV. You can't exclude TV from a Sci-Fi challenge. Oscar challenge is one that excludes TV by its nature. B-Movies is movies, too. TV series really don't fit the concept. Made for TV movies can, though, thanks to low budgets and innate cheesiness. Every TV show ever has done some sort of Holiday episode, so TV is a natural for the Holiday challenge. In the 50s-60s, Westerns dominated TV. I don't see how you could exclude TV shows. Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Wild Wild West, Maverick, Paladin, etc. War seems to me to be dominated by Documentaries, plus there are some very high profile TV shows, like MASH and Hogan's Heroes along with Band of Brothers. Plus, another consideration is that War and Westerns might be less obsessively collected than the other genres, so any material available should be fair game.

Horror was the first challenge, so I was always a bit idealistic towards it. I argued early on to keep it pure. The rest of us are just imitating that challenge. Now that I'm running one, I'd like to keep it close to pure, but I also want to encourage participation. Horror is pretty easy to define while this one is a bear to actually describe, it's so subjective. I just have a couple boundaries but with such a huge amount of films and genres available to meet the demands of the challenge (and a liberal interpretation), I don't think it's too much to ask if we keep it relatively pure. I could get through vacation slides with a decent commentary, so a slight compensation for them isn't much.

caligulathegod 04-03-10 02:56 PM

No one has watched a commentary yet. How about this? If you watch JUST a commentary, you get the 50% ding, but if you watch the film AND the commentary you get full credit for 2 viewings. This encourages watching the movie without penalizing commentaries with the added discouragement of watching JUST a commentary?

SethDLH 04-03-10 04:50 PM

I am really struggling to get through The Baron. So incredibly boring.

asianxcore 04-03-10 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 10086481)
I am really struggling to get through The Baron. So incredibly boring.

Had a feeling that might happen a lot during this challenge :)

Though my 2 films, doesn't touch the double-digits some of you are watching, I almost fell asleep during one of them already.

SethDLH 04-03-10 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 10086487)
Had a feeling that might happen a lot during this challenge :)

Though my 2 films, doesn't touch the double-digits some of you are watching, I almost fell asleep during one of them already.

I won't lie, I took about a 30 minutes nap once I realized that at the 45 minute mark nothing had happened and nothing was going to happen. I've been correct so far with about 7 minutes left.

On the bright side, its something I hadn't seen before and helps me take out one of the public domain sets I'd been saving for the challenge. And it will make the next good movie seem that much better