Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any free sites better than DVD Aficionado yet?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still suffering over the loss of DVD Spot here. I was just wondering if anything as good has surfaced lately. I'm so tired of DVD Aficionado.

I just noticed I never added my 24 Season 7 and for some reason I cannot even find it to add it to my list wit htheir search.

I'd also like to be able to show my Blu-rays separate from my DVDs when needed.
Old 02-19-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Any free sites better than DVD Aficionado yet?

I find DVDAf to be a valuable resource. They do a very good job of offering a fairly comprehensive database that can be easily searched/sorted by things like studio or releases that may be edited/modified in some way.

I just wish they would finally restore a means to quick import based on at least UPC. That has to have prevented numerous people from listing/keeping a collection there. It is supposed to be forthcoming so hopefully that finally comes to be.

Re: 24.

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?imd...26775-0*rgn_us

And I think you can just create a sub-folder called Blu-ray in order to separate them also.
Old 02-19-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
I just wish they would finally restore a means to quick import based on at least UPC. That has to have prevented numerous people from listing/keeping a collection there. It is supposed to be forthcoming so hopefully that finally comes to be.
That's exactly why I refuse to use them. I'm not going to reenter a couple thousand items by hand. Give me a UPC import feature and I'm there immediately. At this point I've given up hope of them ever doing it though,
Old 02-19-10, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't have most of my music dvds in their database. Very frustrating.
Old 02-19-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

snowmaker,

make sure you set the region to "all" and type to "all" when you search.
Old 02-19-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Their update system is NOT easy to use. Not the way DVDSpot's was, in any case.

Oh, how I miss DVDSpot.
Old 02-19-10, 09:58 PM

I still like
Spoiler:
DVD C**nt

Last edited by Skyclad01; 02-20-10 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 08:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I will probably always be bitter about what happened to DVDSpot.

Cnet bought it, right? And what the heck did they do with it? Nothing except close it down after a couple months, right? Why not sell it to someone? That database has to have some value.

I keep saying that I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy Profiler, but I really dislike it, so keep delaying, holding out hope that something better comes along.

Or even a return of Spot, though I know that's a dream.

And whatever happened with IB teasing us about making their own system?

I'm going to be in a bad mood all day now, oh how I loved the Spot.
Old 02-20-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with all of you. Losing Spot sucked a big one, and I just recently signed up for DVDAF but I'm not digging it too much. It's a pain to re-enter 3000+ titles. Ugh.
Old 02-20-10, 12:09 PM
Banned

For those of you who don't like DVDAF or DVD Profiler, why don't you make your own site? Open Nvu, throw together some tables and voila you have the basic outline of your collection [minus the content]. If time is an issue, just throw your titles up on Excel and upload to Google Docs (which I've seen a few people on here do already)
Old 02-20-10, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07
For those of you who don't like DVDAF or DVD Profiler, why don't you make your own site? Open Nvu, throw together some tables and voila you have the basic outline of your collection [minus the content]. If time is an issue, just throw your titles up on Excel and upload to Google Docs (which I've seen a few people on here do already)
Because we like having all the data of sites like Spot/Profiler (genre, year, rating, actors, director, etc) but don't have the weeks months of time it would take to input all of that manually.
Old 02-20-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Because we like having all the data of sites like Spot/Profiler (genre, year, rating, actors, director, etc) but don't have the weeks months of time it would take to input all of that manually.
I wouldn't mind doing that, but I just downloaded that Nvu and all it did was keep opening and closing on my Mac. Couldn't even get a chance to look at it.
Old 02-20-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cnet bought it, right? And what the heck did they do with it? Nothing except close it down after a couple months, right? Why not sell it to someone? That database has to have some value.
Don't worry. If there was any value in selling the data for marketing purposes(not including anything to personally id anyone), then I'm sure they would have done it.
Old 02-20-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Agreed. I have a very large collection and it took quite some time to actually enter everything into DVDSpot. I also submitted hundreds of titles to their database as well. So when you say months of time, it's no lie.
Old 02-20-10, 09:18 PM

I like DVDpedia, it costs $18 I might do that, I've only tried out the trial version.
Old 02-21-10, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DVDAf is the best free one IMHO. I love it immensely.
Old 02-21-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I think I figured out the sub-folder creation part. Thanks.
Old 02-21-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if I found a better site I doubt I could bring myself to enter all my discs in again. DVDaf and DVD Profiler work fine for me. I recently got Calibre to update all my ebooks and after a few weeks I'm still only half way done. It is fine when you start doing this stuff from the beginning a few at a time, but entering a thousand items at once sucks.
Old 02-21-10, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Still suffering over the loss of DVD Spot here. I'd also like to be able to show my Blu-rays separate from my DVDs when needed.
Blu-ray.com has the ability for you to track what BDs you have. You can't enter any info in for them (price you paid, where you got it, etc.) like we used to do with our beloved Spot, but there are a few ways you can order your view. Who knows, maybe they'll enhance it and make it more like Spot!
Old 02-21-10, 01:46 PM

I think I'm the only nut job out there that enjoys entering and re-entering my DVD collection into various places. I don't know, it gives me something to do when I'm bored!
Old 02-21-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I think I'm the only nut job out there that enjoys entering and re-entering my DVD collection into various places. I don't know, it gives me something to do when I'm bored!
I know what you mean. I mourned the loss of DVD Spot for a short time and after looking at other options debated pulling the trigger on purchasing DVD Profiler. It was tough paying money for something when a similar product had been free for so long. Finally, I decided if I'm going to invest so much money in a collection, the cost of the program was small by comparison. And I actually enjoyed going through my collection to re-enter everything--came across a few titles I had forgotten about, a few that I decided to sell off, etc.
Old 02-21-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Ive been using chasingthefrog and you get alot more features the on dvdaf
Old 02-21-10, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

I keep saying that I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy Profiler, but I really dislike it, so keep delaying, holding out hope that something better comes along.
If you don't like it, don't buy it. I'll never understand the mentality of buying into something you don't like or believe in. Not caving in is what creates the need for something different. (Personally, I do like DVDProfiler, it works fine for my needs)

And whatever happened with IB teasing us about making their own system?

You and I both know that will never happen. IB bought this site as an asset for ad revenue. It's obvious they are doing just what it takes to keep the site going, they are not going to invest in anything more than what we have now. That's what they do.

I do agree this is the perfect place, and we have the people here that could make and maintain something like you are looking for. I'm sure Geoff made some good cash on his sale (his world, not going there), I just wish it was sold to someone/company that saw this site as with an opportunity to grow and make money from that, rather than just buy and get ad revenue.

If you want a REALLY good laugh, shoot off an email or a phone call to see what they would want to take over this domain. And just ignore the $$$, how they talk is amazing, you will understand quickly how much they care about this site.
Old 02-21-10, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
If you don't like it, don't buy it. I'll never understand the mentality of buying into something you don't like or believe in. Not caving in is what creates the need for something different. (Personally, I do like DVDProfiler, it works fine for my needs)
I generally agree, but sometimes it actually does make sense to buy things you don't like.

Not having a system is a pain in the butt, as I'm constantly buying stuff I already have, forgetting that I have something with a certain actor/director, stinking at the checklists because I don't have a database, etc etc.

Even though I don't like any of the current free or pay products, I really need want something with full details. I'm wary to try one that doesn't have a lot of support/users, as they seem more likely to go under. So again, I'll say that I probably just need to bite the bullet and get Profiler.

/broken record off
Old 02-21-10, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

I generally agree, but sometimes it actually does make sense to buy things you don't like.

Not having a system is a pain in the butt, as I'm constantly buying stuff I already have, forgetting that I have something with a certain actor/director, stinking at the checklists because I don't have a database, etc etc.

Even though I don't like any of the current free or pay products, I really need want something with full details. I'm wary to try one that doesn't have a lot of support/users, as they seem more likely to go under. So again, I'll say that I probably just need to bite the bullet and get Profiler.

/broken record off
What don't you like about Profiler? I'm not promoting them, just curious. Mobile support is the biggest thing I don't like with them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.