Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gamera, The Giant Monster Special Edition 5/18/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 09:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Gamera, The Giant Monster Special Edition 5/18/10

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already. Where are all my fellow Japanese giant monster movie fans?

Shout Factory will be releasing the first film of the Gamera series, Gamera The Giant Monster (Daikaiju Gamera), on May 18, 2010!! This will be the first time it's ever had an official U.S. release with the original Japanese audio track. Unfortunately, it will not include the U.S. version, Gammera The Invincible. UCLA has the available materials for that but apparently were being difficult to work with. Kadokawa (the company that acquired Daiei) provided Shout with an HD master of the film so the disc should look great. No U.S. blu ray is in the plans btw.

As many of you probably know, the market has been inundated over the years with crappy "public domain" releases of the Gamera series. I was thinking no company would step up to the plate and give us proper releases, but here we are. Makes me hopeful for a legit Godzilla vs. Megalon.

Shout Factory will release all of the Gamera titles from the Showa era in the coming months.
Old 02-12-10, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Gamera, The Giant Monster Special Edition 5/18/10

I'm sorry things couldn't be worked out for the U.S. cut. This is one of the few cases where I actually prefer the dub to subtitles.
Old 02-12-10, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Cool! I want this first one, but none of the others. But I've been waiting for a GOOD (non-public-domain-cheapie) legit release of this on DVD for ages (the last special edition was, I believe, on VHS).
Well there was the Synapse Films laserdisc release of the film with 2.35:1 aspect ratio and in Japanese with English subtitles below the letter boxing. It also had liner notes by DVDTalk reviewer Stuart Galbraith IV. But that was a long time ago and such a limited format that most folks probably missed out on it. So this is good news for folks who didn't get the laserdisc or the Toho R2 DVD releases that had English subtitles for the films but were pretty expensive when they were out there.

I'll agree that it's a shame that the US version couldn't be part of this release
Old 02-12-10, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this will lead to Shout! releasing the Gamera MST3K episodes.
Old 02-12-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by R. Hilton
Maybe this will lead to Shout! releasing the Gamera MST3K episodes.
Possible, I think that might be the reason the US cut isn't included. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has to do with $$$ not the shape of the print. However I am speculating.
Old 02-12-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool. I was sort of eyeing the various Gamera Blu-ray sets released in Japan. This will be much cheaper and with American subtitles.
Old 02-12-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad
Well there was the Synapse Films laserdisc release of the film with 2.35:1 aspect ratio and in Japanese with English subtitles below the letter boxing. It also had liner notes by DVDTalk reviewer Stuart Galbraith IV. But that was a long time ago and such a limited format that most folks probably missed out on it. So this is good news for folks who didn't get the laserdisc or the Toho R2 DVD releases that had English subtitles for the films but were pretty expensive when they were out there.

I'll agree that it's a shame that the US version couldn't be part of this release
I thought it was Neptune Media who released the LD?
Old 02-12-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know what, even though I'm a HUGE kaiju fan I've never really gotten into Gamera. I think I've only seen Gamera vs. Gaos, maybe vs. Zigra, too. I'll def pick this up, though I wish we were getting a BD release.
Old 02-12-10, 04:01 PM
Cool New Member

This is great. I wish they were following the blueprint of the recent Gojira/Godzilla sets though, but I am thrilled to hear about this.
Old 02-12-10, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Possible, I think that might be the reason the US cut isn't included. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has to do with $$$ not the shape of the print. However I am speculating.
Apparently it does have to do with $$$, though perhaps not in the way you were thinking. August Ragone posted this on the Monster Zero message board:
Originally Posted by August Ragone
Now, to answer the question about Shout! Factory's release not containing the US version, GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE. Yes, this release does not include the US version (probably my favorite US adaptation):

While I agree that the US-shot scenes and the edit of US version is somewhat an improvement upon the original (especially in regards to the USAF characters), the only known 35mm elements in the UCLA Film Library were wrapped up in endless red tape (this was the same source used for the Neptune Media/Synapse release eleven years ago), but they made it extremely difficult and ultimately, Shout! Factory was unable to hurtle their endless stipulations and monetary demands. In the end, it was a hard decision, but there was nothing that Cliff MacMillan at Shout! could do to -- for months got the runaround, and then they started demanding unfair amounts of money. The only option was going with a flat 16mm television print, and that would defeat the purpose of the medium, right? So, he had to drop plans to include it. IMHO, if anyone is to blame, it's the UCLA Film Library.
Old 02-13-10, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn universities always asking for more money....
Old 02-13-10, 08:41 AM

SciFi Japan has an article (including early cover art) and interview about these upcoming DVDs.
Old 02-16-10, 02:14 PM

Too bad there's no BR release; I own the English subbed Japanese box set, and there's no way I'm buying SD versions of these again.
Old 02-16-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanGLC
SciFi Japan has an article (including early cover art) and interview about these upcoming DVDs.
Nice little piece there. One of these days I'll resurrect my old Godzilla guide I had online years ago, and maybe do parallel timelines for other kaiju properties like this.

Never seen any of these, but I've added this title to my DVDAf wishlist and will keep my eyes open for it.
Old 02-17-10, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by salamander2
I thought it was Neptune Media who released the LD?
I don't have the disc in front of me but my recollection is that it was a Synapse Films/Neptune Media release. I'm not sure if there were other versions but my copy is the "limited edition" gold disc version. Just how limited this really is appears to have been determined by how many they could sell as there are plenty of them up for grabs on eBay.
Old 04-20-10, 10:52 PM

Gamera vs. Barugon is scheduled to be released July 6, 2010.
Old 04-21-10, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, if you want the US version, there's always the Alpha Video release.
Old 05-12-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's another thread discussing it, but bringing it back here. Yes, it is nice to have an option to see it with an optional dubbed version, but for me personally, I hate dubbing, it is a waste of disc space, and a waste of time.

I said it long time ago in the Ghost In The Shell thread, but I can't stand watching anything dubbed. The original language version is what should be first and foremost. And thanks to Shout Factory on this release.

(But then don't get me started on dubbing of Spaghetti Westerns or Mandarin/Cantonese films.... that is something else entirely.)
Old 05-12-10, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Isn't there a WS print of the US dubbed version Gamera used for the Elvira disc? Couldn't somebody just buy it and put it in the case with the SE and have both versions
Old 05-14-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Isn't there a WS print of the US dubbed version Gamera used for the Elvira disc? Couldn't somebody just buy it and put it in the case with the SE and have both versions
The Elvira disc is Gamera, Super Monster. Not Gamera, the Giant Monster.

I just received a copy of Giant Monster...I have only previewed it on my PC but it looks very good and clean. There is a booklet (with the original Japanese cover art) with an awesome cutaway drawing of Gamera on the inside showing his anatomy.
Old 05-15-10, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JordanGLC
Gamera vs. Barugon is scheduled to be released July 6, 2010.
It's been announced that the Gamera vs. Barugon DVD will also be without an English dubbed version.
Old 05-20-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it last night....they should have added an English dub for the English speaking actors!
Old 05-20-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I watched it last night....they should have added an English dub for the English speaking actors!
What the heck is it with white guys in the Japanese monster movies? From the 60's right up through the Godzilla millenium series, it seems that they can't manage to sound like a natural English speaking actor, no matter how few lines they have. They either have terrible, wooden, off-kilter delivery, and/or the lines they say are subtly odd, as if they're translated from Japanese by someone who's slightly-less-than-fluent in English (which is probably the case).
Old 05-20-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
What the heck is it with white guys in the Japanese monster movies? From the 60's right up through the Godzilla millenium series, it seems that they can't manage to sound like a natural English speaking actor, no matter how few lines they have. They either have terrible, wooden, off-kilter delivery, and/or the lines they say are subtly odd, as if they're translated from Japanese by someone who's slightly-less-than-fluent in English (which is probably the case).
To be fair, for all I know the Japanese acting was just as bad, since I can't speak it how would I know. But this wasn't even funny bad. It was bad bad.

All the US military guys in the first half of the movie constantly had memos or important teletypes in front of them as they "acted"....I am pretty sure they were reading their lines right off of them. It actually seemed like they were reading off a paper like a kid might. And like you said, way off kilter, and oddly worded as if they had been translated. Probably the case there.

Had to laugh when the Eskimo spoke English, and they put up both Japanese AND English subtitles. His English was better than the American guys!

That being said, I did really like the rest of the movie, and the little documentary on the series (honestly the first extra I have ever watched because I was curious about the rest of the movies) was pretty neat...even going so far as to show the storyboards/studio mock up for the proposed sequel.
Old 05-20-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
To be fair, for all I know the Japanese acting was just as bad, since I can't speak it how would I know. But this wasn't even funny bad. It was bad bad.

All the US military guys in the first half of the movie constantly had memos or important teletypes in front of them as they "acted"....I am pretty sure they were reading their lines right off of them. It actually seemed like they were reading off a paper like a kid might. And like you said, way off kilter, and oddly worded as if they had been translated. Probably the case there.

Had to laugh when the Eskimo spoke English, and they put up both Japanese AND English subtitles. His English was better than the American guys!

That being said, I did really like the rest of the movie, and the little documentary on the series (honestly the first extra I have ever watched because I was curious about the rest of the movies) was pretty neat...even going so far as to show the storyboards/studio mock up for the proposed sequel.

It almost seems like when they got ready to shoot certain scenes for the movies, somebody told the director:

"Hey, we're going to need a white guy for this scene, and we forgot to cast one. Should we hold a quick casting call to get an actor?"

"No time, we've got to shoot this today. Just go to the airport and offer $50 to the first white guy you see--tell him he'll get to be in a movie, and get him back here quick!"

But yeah, that's part of the charm of these. I'm sure I'll enjoy this disc when I pick it up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.