Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

Old 02-25-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

Originally Posted by Jaymole
The Pierrot le Fou Blu-ray is already discontinued at Amazon and every other website...glad I picked it up as soon as heard the annoucement.
The Orphic trilogy is already going for almost $100 at Amazon marketplace.

I meant to edit not quote...makes me look like I have a split personality
Old 02-25-10, 11:25 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

That make me really glad that I ordered a new copy of the Orphic boxset for for $58.60 with free shipping through Prime from a marketplace seller on Friday.
Old 02-27-10, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This can still be purchased from Criterion.com for $58.96, and the Pierrot BD can still be had for $26.96 (w/free shipping if the order is over $50). It bears repeating that Criterion has said they will fill all orders placed through the end of March, even if the current status of a title is "backordered".
Old 02-27-10, 02:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
This can still be purchased from Criterion.com for $58.96, and the Pierrot BD can still be had for $26.96 (w/free shipping if the order is over $50). It bears repeating that Criterion has said they will fill all orders placed through the end of March, even if the current status of a title is "backordered".
yep! I ordered 3 dvds and got them within 3-4 days of ordering even though they were "backordered"
Old 02-27-10, 03:24 PM

Right after this news broke a few weeks back, I made a quick order from Criterion for a couple of the Powell/Pressburger ones and The Fallen Idol and received them all very quickly, within days, as Alcoholiday mentions above. However, I ordered a copy of the Orphic Trilogy at the same time, and that seems to be taking much longer. It was supposed to ship yesterday, still hasn't. This is clearly disappearing very quickly everywhere else (as are The White Sheik and a couple of others), but I'm hopeful that Criterion will fulfill all orders made before the end of March, as they have claimed.

FYI to those who care -- I've noticed a couple of the Barnes & Noble(s) nearby me still stock quite a few of these (even re-stocking a few I recently purchased from them, such as Grand Illusion), and there's even a Borders nearby which is displaying a DVD copy of The Third Man (as well as the admittedly much less valuable first version of The Seventh Seal) in broad daylight... ;-)

Of course, as others have mentioned, there is the likely possibility that Studio Canal will snatch even more titles from Criterion in the near future...
Old 02-27-10, 11:47 PM
Cool New Member

Studio Canal website have some familiar 'previously' Criterion titles posted
(I was going to insert an URL link to the website but I need to make over 30 posts before I'm allowed so I'll trick it a bit see if this works..
add www studiocanalcollection.com/en/collection)

Last year at Marienbad, Ran, Breathless, Pierrot Le Fou..

I don't think last year at Marienbad and Breathless are oop at Criterion... in any case, not sure if I like their dvd cover design, too used to Criterion I guess

on the more depressing side, my orders still haven't shipped! thinking of adding Orphic Trilogy to the order since it hasn't shipped anyway
Old 03-01-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by doob
I don't think last year at Marienbad and Breathless are oop at Criterion...
Thanks for the link. Looking at the features, it seems some of the Criterion extras, like commentary tracks and other bits were not carried over.

As far as Marienbad's status at Criterion, I too was curious why it was not announced as OOP. I asked Criterion, and they explained it actually stemmed from a deal with Rialto Pictures, which might be the same case with Breathless, and it will not be out of print.
Old 03-02-10, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I meant to edit not quote...makes me look like I have a split personality
Good thing I managed to snag a copy off of Half.com for $50 not to long after the announcement.

So far, I've managed to grab the Pierrot Le Fou Blu-Ray, the Orphic Trilogy, Variety Lights, and Grand Illusion, with Trafic on order.

*sigh*

Too many more to go...
Old 03-02-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't want to buy DVDs anymore, but I would hate to miss Trafic. I have the other three movies already. I've always loved Fallen Idol. Guess I better replace my Criterion LD before it is too late.
Old 03-02-10, 11:38 AM

Just ordered a slew of Criterions at dvd empire, the only one I couldn't acquire was "Port of Shadows". Shocked and delighted to find "Le Corbeau" for $21.99. The price of this disc has been jacked up in the $40 range for years. I had assumed it was OOP but it looks like my patience paid off.
Old 03-02-10, 12:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by R. Hilton
Just ordered a slew of Criterions at dvd empire, the only one I couldn't acquire was "Port of Shadows".
Do they have them in stock or are you sure they're going to get them? I ordered two a while ago and asked them about one that was backordered a couple weeks later. They took that one off my order and shipped the other due to not thinking they'd get the backordered one. Both are listed as not available now.
Old 03-05-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
So far, I've managed to grab the Pierrot Le Fou Blu-Ray, the Orphic Trilogy, Variety Lights, and Grand Illusion, with Trafic on order.
Still have Trafic on order, and just placed an order for The Tales Of Hoffmann.
Old 03-05-10, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by X
Do they have them in stock or are you sure they're going to get them? I ordered two a while ago and asked them about one that was backordered a couple weeks later. They took that one off my order and shipped the other due to not thinking they'd get the backordered one. Both are listed as not available now.
My shipment arrived today. Nearly all the titles I ordered a few days ago are marked "unavailable" today. Phew.
Old 03-06-10, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Anybody use the promotional code AFS to knock 25% off your order? Apparently the code was initially meant as a discount for the Akira Kurosawa 25 film set, but it seems to work for any title on Criterion's site.
Old 03-06-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just used it, thanks. The aggravating thing about Criterion's free shipping is that your total needs to be over $50, not your sub-total before discounts. My total was still about $5 more than it would have been from B & N in July (even without any potential $5 coupons), but I had a gift certificate to burn.
Old 03-06-10, 10:59 AM

Just ordered the Cocteau set from Criterion's site, thanks for the AFS promo code. Shipping date 3/26.
Old 03-06-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Ordered Diary of a Country Priest and Pierrot Le Fou since it is getting down to the wire with still no sign of any B&N sale, of course me placing this order will likely trigger a B&N sale with my luck...
And thanks for that code also, saved me $18 bucks!
Old 03-06-10, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the code, Perkinsun Dzees.
Order included Le Trou, Peeping Tom, Alphaville, and Pierrot Le Fou (Blu).
I think I'm done for now. Whew!
Old 03-06-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I have to recommend the Carlos Saura Flamenco Trilogy. Easily the best Criterion purchase I made over the past year.
Old 03-07-10, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Anybody use the promotional code AFS to knock 25% off your order? Apparently the code was initially meant as a discount for the Akira Kurosawa 25 film set, but it seems to work for any title on Criterion's site.
Thanks for the code. I picked up Alphaville and Grand Illusion along with two of the Janus films posters that I've been wanting. The past B&N sales have clouded my vision of what Criterion's "normally" cost, but I'll be glad to have all of this for the price.
Old 03-07-10, 12:58 PM

Another thanks for the code!

Ordered Orphic Trilogy, Fallen Idol, Grand Illusion, Le Corbeau, and Pierrot Le Fou Blu
Old 03-07-10, 02:06 PM

Wow...I already got a shipping confirmation.

I'm hoping that the posters come in good condition. My recent UPS shipments have come in horrible condition.
Old 03-08-10, 12:58 AM

Another kudos to Perkinsun for the code! It was extremely helpful in providing me the incentive to pick up the last few OOPs that I wanted. I ordered The Orphic Trilogy waaay back in early Feb., though, and shipping keeps being pushed back...hoping Criterion can indeed fulfill it! (Perhaps Criterion sent Amazon one more order -- they seem to have gotten a few more of these in, for those that are interested...!)

Judging from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I'm betting that 3/26 is the cut-off date for final shipping of these recent Studio Canal snatch-backs.
Old 03-08-10, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to posters on the Criterion Forum, AFS is now only taking 6% off.
Old 03-08-10, 10:24 AM

^^Still works for me for 25% off

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.