Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

I just bought The Stranger from Amazon, only to discover once I attempted to shelve it that it was already there. Time to return my "damaged" copy for a refund.
Old 02-05-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Ugh... It happened.

I have too many fucking DVDs.

So, I look at this list and say to myself "Fallen Idol? I *love* that movie. Better grab it before it goes OOP."

It arrives in today's mail and I go to put it into the collection. Yep, you can see where this is going... I already have it.
I used to laugh at people that did this over the years at DVDTalk. I've been collector and a member for 10 years so I have seen this story often. Well during the BN sale in the fall I said "Oh I can finally get Trafic!" I actually started to play it before it dawned on me that I had the DVD and it was boxed up from our move to Austin.

I'm going to just pretend I knew it was going OOP. Investment purposes and all that.
Old 02-05-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Ugh... It happened.

I have too many fucking DVDs.

So, I look at this list and say to myself "Fallen Idol? I *love* that movie. Better grab it before it goes OOP."

It arrives in today's mail and I go to put it into the collection. Yep, you can see where this is going... I already have it.
I guess I'm lucky that that hasn't happened to me yet.

I picked up Pierrot on Blu (been meaning to grab all the Criterion Blus for a while; like The Third Man, this one going OOP made it a top priority), and placed orders for Variety Lights and The Grand Illusion. 3 down, quite a few more to go.
Old 02-05-10, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never not known what films I do and don't have. Fuck I'd be pissed if I bought it and found out I had it.
Old 02-05-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to laugh at people with stories like that. Now I'm one of them. :ashamed:

(My collection has officially gotten away from me, apparently.)
Old 02-13-10, 10:01 AM

It seems that with the current $5 off, Criterion's website has the cheapest price for these soon to be OOPs.
Anybody find a cheaper place to purchase them?
Old 02-20-10, 04:47 PM
Banned

Picked up a new copy of Criterions Traffic on the Amazon.com Marketplace for $15.00 Shipped. Been meaning to pick this up for a while now this just gave me the extra incentive!
Old 02-20-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Trafic" is going out of print, not "Traffic"
Old 02-20-10, 05:22 PM

I order Grand Illusion from Best Buy for $19.99
Old 02-20-10, 06:55 PM

^^Great find!!^^
I picked up Grand Illusion ($19.99) and The Fallen Idol ($17.99) from BestBuy.com. With gift cards and reward zone points, FREE.
Old 02-22-10, 10:21 PM
Cool New Member

For those that ordered on BB.com...

it's backordered now. was it when you placed the order? I'm wondering if criterion will fill the order or just the ones placed on their website?
Old 02-22-10, 11:00 PM
Cool New Member

anyone received their dvds from Criterions yet? I bought some backordered one as well as those that were still in stock at the time of purchase (now backorder tho..) estimate shipping date was today.. but doesn't look like they shipped it out yet
Old 02-23-10, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Alcoholiday
For those that ordered on BB.com...

it's backordered now. was it when you placed the order? I'm wondering if criterion will fill the order or just the ones placed on their website?
Yes, I knew it was backordered when I bought it. Site said 1-2 weeks it would ship. The way I understood Criterion's website they would fulfill all orders placed before March. I assume that means any retailer that needs them as well. Don't companies just place an order through Criterion anyway when they are out?
Old 02-23-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hendersonfan
Yes, I knew it was backordered when I bought it. Site said 1-2 weeks it would ship. The way I understood Criterion's website they would fulfill all orders placed before March. I assume that means any retailer that needs them as well. Don't companies just place an order through Criterion anyway when they are out?
I'm not sure their promise applies to any retailers -- Amazon is saying that they no longer even carry it. I do not expect that CC will be making massive shipments to stores in March. My impression (could be entirely wrong) was that they were just honoring individual orders through their website -- though in terms of a legal agreement with Lionsgate or Studio Canal re: who can buy from where until when, I'm not sure why that would make any sense.

As to the question above regarding if anyone had received their orders from the CCstore, yes.

I received copies of Pierrot last week, and I have a UPS being delivered today with a couple copies of Grand Illusion.

Last edited by cgray; 02-23-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by doob
anyone received their dvds from Criterions yet? I bought some backordered one as well as those that were still in stock at the time of purchase (now backorder tho..) estimate shipping date was today.. but doesn't look like they shipped it out yet
I got Diary of a Country Priest yesterday via UPS. Another title is heading my way soon. It looks like Criterion is filling the orders, albeit slowly.
Old 02-23-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I received half my order today but was charged the full amount from criterioncollection.com I ordered Grand Illusion before it was backordered but only got Last Holiday.
Old 02-23-10, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

none of mine has shipped yet and its already past the estimated shipping date. give it few more days and see what's happening I guess..
Old 02-23-10, 09:48 PM
Cool New Member

I ended up caving and bought Le Trou, Grand Illusion, and Pierrot Le Fou.

I was tempted to buy The Raven, and Diaries of a country priest, but passed.
Old 02-23-10, 11:43 PM

Got my copy of The White Sheik today.
Old 02-24-10, 03:04 AM

Le sigh. This thread cost me $120. At least I was ahead of the game this time by owning the Orphic Trilogy and Grande Illusion already.
Old 02-24-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My library has all of these, multiple copies, sitting on the shelf. Wonder if collectors will pilfer them once they go OOP.
Old 02-24-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
My library has all of these, multiple copies, sitting on the shelf. Wonder if collectors will pilfer them once they go OOP.
Yes... eventually.
Old 02-24-10, 05:39 PM

Wait, I was under the impression that these went out of print at the END of March, and all order placed before the END of March would be taken...
Old 02-25-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Wait, I was under the impression that these went out of print at the END of March, and all order placed before the END of March would be taken...
That's what I was under the impression of. But already, I've seen these titles removed from the database we use to order stuff at work.

I've currently gotten Pierrot Le Fou on Blu and the CC of Variety Lights, with the Orphic Trilogy (which is worrying me, as it's been some time since I've ordered it now) and Grand Illusion on order...
Old 02-25-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

The Pierrot le Fou Blu-ray is already discontinued at Amazon and every other website...glad I picked it up as soon as heard the annoucement.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.