Reload this Page >

The Star Trek film voyages on DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-13-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why precisely have the DVDs SEs of I-X gone out of print in the wake of XI (or Zero, as I call it)? Are there plans for other releases (especially since a number of the films exist in more than one version?)?
Old 01-13-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Re: The Star Trek film voyages on DVD

They were all re-released in boxsets on DVD and Blu. New extras for all the films, plus the theatrical cuts of TMP, TWOK and TUC (the first and third of which interest me greatly).

If you're looking to buy them, you can always find them used, I recently picked up Insurrection used for pretty cheap to fill out my collection of the 2 disc'ers.
Old 01-14-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
They were all re-released in boxsets on DVD and Blu. New extras for all the films, plus the theatrical cuts of TMP, TWOK and TUC (the first and third of which interest me greatly).

If you're looking to buy them, you can always find them used, I recently picked up Insurrection used for pretty cheap to fill out my collection of the 2 disc'ers.
Does it JUST include the theatrical cuts? I suppose that there's always eBay.
Old 01-14-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, apparently the re-edits of TMP, TWOK and TUC were only done at 480i. Considering the TWOK and TUC re-edits are several years old, that's somewhat understandable, but the Robert Wise recut of TMP was done for the DVD era and they had to have known hi-def formats were coming so it's pretty stupid to have only done the new FX at 480p.

I'm actually glad to have the opportunity to buy the theatrical cut of TMP on DVD as I seem to recall hearing that Wise asked that it not be released on DVD when he did his re-edit. Guess that contract was tossed out the window when he passed.
Old 01-28-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On a related note, the boxed set of the Original Series on DVD now are presumably the "remastered" versions. Do I have to purchase used copies of the original releases to see the original versions? Hopefully, this won't become another case of the "new" supplanting the "old."
Old 01-29-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
On a related note, the boxed set of the Original Series on DVD now are presumably the "remastered" versions. Do I have to purchase used copies of the original releases to see the original versions? Hopefully, this won't become another case of the "new" supplanting the "old."
No, The remastered sets include both versions.
Old 01-29-10, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yes, apparently the re-edits of TMP, TWOK and TUC were only done at 480i. Considering the TWOK and TUC re-edits are several years old, that's somewhat understandable, but the Robert Wise recut of TMP was done for the DVD era and they had to have known hi-def formats were coming so it's pretty stupid to have only done the new FX at 480p.

I'm actually glad to have the opportunity to buy the theatrical cut of TMP on DVD as I seem to recall hearing that Wise asked that it not be released on DVD when he did his re-edit. Guess that contract was tossed out the window when he passed.
They're currently working on getting Wise's new version of the film Blu ready.
Old 01-29-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
No, The remastered sets include both versions.
Only the Blu-Ray includes both versions, or the DVD and the Blu-Ray?

In a perfect world, we'd have "ultimate editions" with both versions and extra on SD and HD, but I somehow doubt it.
Old 01-29-10, 10:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy with the theatrical cuts except for TMP, I'll hang on to that untill it is released on Blu. My advice, get the Blu-ray box sets of the films and buy TMP and Khan SE DVDs if you want the director's cuts.
Old 01-29-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow

I'd love a single-movie Blu release with both cuts (and even the old Special Home Video Version, warts and all, in widescreen).
Old 01-29-10, 12:04 PM

The Blu-Ray release of all the Star Trek movies, is quite subpar, especially for the original six features. This is a very dissapointing release, which was simply a money grab in order to further market the new Star Trek reboot.
Also the new SD re-releases are the equally subpar version.

The original SD 2-disc special editions (no longer available in stores) still stands as the definitive release available of all the classic Trek films. they are the only ones that feature Director's Cuts and enhanced visuals. Luckily these can still be found online at sites like amazon.com.

Its truly mind-boggling why Paramount refuses to go all-out and release a worthy set on Blu-Ray, with all the extended cuts and extra enhacements.

I am sticking with the original SD versions for now, until Paramount comes around and does an acceptable Blu-Ray version.
Old 01-29-10, 04:02 PM

On a related note.... anyone else dislike the packaging on the 2 disc special editions? They are about twice as thick as they need to be... so the ST movie collection takes up about twice as much shelf space as it really needs. I wish they would re-release these again with slimmer packaging.
Old 01-29-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Only the Blu-Ray includes both versions, or the DVD and the Blu-Ray?

The DVDs should have them too.
Old 01-30-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IstvanTheHun
Its truly mind-boggling why Paramount refuses to go all-out and release a worthy set on Blu-Ray, with all the extended cuts and extra enhacements.
No, it really isn't mind-boggling. Not if you've been in the DVD hobby for any amount of time. Believe me, they'll get around to it (after everyone has bought the plain versions, then the sorta-special editions, etc...).
Old 01-31-10, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

The Blu-Ray release of all the Star Trek movies, is quite subpar, especially for the original six features. This is a very dissapointing release, which was simply a money grab in order to further market the new Star Trek reboot.
Not much of a grab when we got them at 7.99 each
Old 01-31-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moonraker
On a related note.... anyone else dislike the packaging on the 2 disc special editions? They are about twice as thick as they need to be... so the ST movie collection takes up about twice as much shelf space as it really needs. I wish they would re-release these again with slimmer packaging.
You mean the ones with the silver color scheme in the double wide packaging? Well, they had already released TWOK through Insurrection in single disc releases (only half or so were 16x9, and not many extras to speak of), and when they got to TMP, they did it as a full blown 2 disc SE and I would imagine they did the wider cases for the re-releases of the other movies were to set them apart from the older releases.
Old 01-31-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Back in the day, the double-wide cases were seen as an indicator of extra value; Fox used them too for their Five-Star Collections. These days, thin is in.
Old 02-08-10, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by moonraker
I dont mind them that much, even though yes they do take up some considerable shelf space.

I do wish that all the cases conformed to make one nice set - ST:TMP is in a very ugly yellow case! They did release slimmer versions of Insurrection and Nemesis.

Nothing else will ever beat the awesome VHS set of the 6 original movies. They came in a great box, and when you put all the tapes together - one one side its the Enteprise, on the other side they all formed to make an image of space. Now that is a nice collector's set that looks great on shelf!

I guess Paramount doesn't really get how geeky us Trekkers can be! I want all the movies in pristine remastered 1080p Blu Ray, all director's cuts possible, with enhanced pq, DTS sound, full bells and whistles, in a NICE collectors box that satisfies all die hard fans. Now that's a double or triple-dip worth getting into....
Old 02-09-10, 10:12 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
The DVDs should have them too.
No, they don't.
The new release of the Blu-ray has both. The new release of the DVD is only the cgi'd remastered version.
Old 02-09-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I dont mind them that much, even though yes they do take up some considerable shelf space.

I do wish that all the cases conformed to make one nice set - ST:TMP is in a very ugly yellow case! They did release slimmer versions of Insurrection and Nemesis.

Nothing else will ever beat the awesome VHS set of the 6 original movies. They came in a great box, and when you put all the tapes together - one one side its the Enteprise, on the other side they all formed to make an image of space. Now that is a nice collector's set that looks great on shelf!
This is what my set looks like:
Old 11-20-10, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
This is what my set looks like:
holy crap!!where did you get that beauty???!!!
Old 11-21-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

The covers are available for free download here: http://rixgrafix.com/index_051.htm

Ric also has a lot of replacement covers for the various Star Trek series: http://rixgrafix.com/index_015.htm

If I ever get around to picking up the TNG, DS9, ENT, and VOY series on DVD, I'm strongly considering printing out the "Ships of the Line Collection" spanning spine set.
Old 11-27-10, 08:01 AM

oh so that is a homemade set then?
Old 11-27-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also the new SD re-releases are the equally subpar version.

The original SD 2-disc special editions (no longer available in stores) still stands as the definitive release available of all the classic Trek films. they are the only ones that feature Director's Cuts and enhanced visuals. Luckily these can still be found online at sites like amazon.com.
Having just seen this quote, I've got to say the poster really has no idea what he's saying.

When I bought the Blu-Ray sets of all the Trek Movies, I purposely double checked all the SD 2-disc editions and compared them to what was on the Blu's.

With the aforementioned exceptions of the movies not being the director's cuts and all the new material that was involved with Mr. Wise's new version of TMP, the ONLY thing that did not make it over from ALL of the other Trek material to the Blu-Ray versions was apparently one BTS segment of some sort from TWOK.

EVERYTHING else was ported. Not to mention all the stuff they added.
Old 11-27-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Having just seen this quote, I've got to say the poster really has no idea what he's saying.

When I bought the Blu-Ray sets of all the Trek Movies, I purposely double checked all the SD 2-disc editions and compared them to what was on the Blu's.

With the aforementioned exceptions of the movies not being the director's cuts and all the new material that was involved with Mr. Wise's new version of TMP, the ONLY thing that did not make it over from ALL of the other Trek material to the Blu-Ray versions was apparently one BTS segment of some sort from TWOK.

EVERYTHING else was ported. Not to mention all the stuff they added.
Apparently you didn't check too closely, as there is more bonus material missing on the BD releases than you think there is....

ALL of the text subtitle commentaries have been removed and replaced with the "Library Computer" Bonusview viewing mode instead (which I personally find to be clunky and inferior, providing more "definitions" and tech-speak about the Trek universe than actual trivia about the film)....

Also, The Motion Picture is not just missing the bonus material related to the Director's Edition version, but also two other featurettes: "Phase II: The Lost Enterprise", and "A Bold New Enterprise".....only "Redirecting The Future" was specifically about the new (at that time) director's edition, the other two were not....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.