Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Will our collecting come to an end? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Will our collecting come to an end? [merged]

I tend to use the library as a means to prevent blind buys and enjoy oop dvds. I guess you could say I rent from the library as it is in the next county and I pay $30 a year to use their services as a non-resident. An incredible asset none the less.
Old 01-16-10, 04:23 PM

To be honest, I'm already reaching a point where owning more movies is not appealing to me
Old 01-16-10, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEVER!!! At least I hope not cause I love collecting films on DVD!
Old 01-16-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This won't be popular on this website, but I stopped buying about a year ago. Now I just download everything, upload it to a thumb drive then watch it on my philips dvd player that has a usb input. A lot faster than burning dvd's. I could probably make space to see all my dvd's in a closet(I think its tacky to have your DVD's out in display and uncomfortable when people with lesser means come over and see 1000 DVD's out and about). Personally I love seeing people's collections in the post pics of your dvd collection thread and personally I love everyone's movie posters and figurines, but I would feel too much like a comic book geek displaying all that. But due to the fact that I was just throwing dvd's in storage bins and rarely re-watching movies I had seen nevermind still having titles in shrinkwrap from years ago that I still have not watched. I decided that it was a waste of investment to keep buying these things. I like having everything digital now. I think in this economy people are finding ways to not spend money and I don't think this mindset is going to go away in time to save the dvd industry. People will still buy em, but just like people still buy cd's, which I stopped doing about 6 years ago after amassing about 800-1000 of them over about a 10 year period.
Old 01-16-10, 08:13 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Of course there are some folks who will always opt for the tangible alternative. And that's where I stand right now. But if there comes something like an iPod that holds all my current blu rays and DVDs, keeps the quality, is easy to access (via TV, computer or smaller device) and allows you to purchase movies on sale like BRs and DVDs do now, then I might go that route.
Old 01-18-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

There will always be choices available.

Even if they stop making psychical media. You would still be able to buy old titles used. And if you want a psychical thing of a movie not available then you can copy it onto a DVD and then print out a cover. I did that long ago when Neon Genesis Evangelion wasn't officially available on VHS or DVD and I was happy with my homemade package.

Also taking about music. I am still able to buy new releases on Vinyls a format that was supposed to be dead long ago. So there you go

Last edited by nando820; 01-20-10 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 08:54 AM
Banned

Am I The Only One Who Is Worried?

Mod note: Original beginning of second thread

Am I the only one who is worried that our days of collecting are coming to an end? I bring this up time and time again on here and it seams to just get looked over. Is it denial or just a feeling of there is nothing to panic about? Lets face it, the days of personal ownership of media is coming to an end. Blu-ray is great but I think we all can admit it's just a placeholder until a reliable and sellable form of streaming (or more unlikely downloading) is worked out. And once that happens anyone who wants to "buy" a title will have to more-or-less rent it. Why do I say rent? Because you will not be owning anything but access to a file that is controlled by the studio or media provider. Physical media media like VHS, LD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. if properly taken care of by their owners can be enjoyed for the rest of his/her life. No matter how many new formats come and go old physical media formats will still be playable. Unlike non-physical formats that will only be available as long as the providers allow it to be available. What happens when the thousands you have spent on streamed media one day is no longer available because your provider is out of business? Streaming/downloading becomes a dead format? or perhaps some titles are just no longer available for lack of sales? There will be nothing you can do. But those DVDs will still work. What scares me the most is how the general public will see all of this. With talk of being able to just long into an account from any where and on any devise and have your entire purchased catalog available at the blink of an eye will probable be a pretty big hit. Hell it even sounds amazing to me. No more storing of media and being able to have an entire collection with you at all times... The public will eat it up. But for those of us who collect and enjoy the ownership of a title rather than watching it once and trading it in at a pawn shop, we can see the danger. And that danger is the end of media ownership. I do not want to rent. I want to own. Have you ever read the FAQs on sites like iTunes, WB, etc. They all say that the media you download is "owned". And its those quotations that scare the hell out of me.
So seriously... What are your thoughts? And really think about this. Some say physical media will always be here. And perhaps it will. We have no 100% way of knowing. But I can't see why it would be. streaming/downloading offers an amazing variety of positives. More titles, the ability to watch your collection anywhere, and it will be a lot cheaper for the studios. But sadly it also offers one very large negative... The end of media ownership by the buyer.

Last edited by nemein; 02-03-10 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Am I The On'y One Who Is Worried?

Until the day streaming bandwith issues are addressed and made affordable, subscription tiers/regulations are clearly identified AND can deliver consistent 1080p quality I'll still be buying discs.

I'm not sweating it.

I do believe the streaming will be the way of the future, but I don't see it stopping or eliminating disc sales for some time.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 02-02-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not worried. Sure, it'll suck if I can't one day own a movie or TV show, but it won't be the end of the world to me. I always find something else to spend money on. And I doubt physical media will ever go away completely.
Old 02-02-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I The On'y One Who Is Having Deja Vu?
Old 02-02-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey dke ...why not try to stop worrying about the "writing on the wall" and continue to enjoy the massive collection that you already own?
Old 02-02-10, 09:36 AM

The key for me is ownership. I won't miss physical media, if the replacement is digital downloads I own in perpetuity (ala iTunes). If the only way to see new content is to pay-per-view, rent or sign up for a "service" then I will drastically reduce the shows I watch to whatever my wife and kids want, which won't be much.

If digital downloads become a cheaper norm, I'll be kicking myself for collecting at all - in the long-term, it will have been a waste of money.
Old 02-02-10, 09:41 AM
Banned

Am I the On'y one that is getting tired of you repeating you own threads?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/56...-come-end.html
Old 02-02-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Am I the only one who is worried that our days of collecting are coming to an end? .
I have cut back on buying DVD's a bit more but not because of streaming them directly to you. I have cut back on buying DVD's because if I already own the ones that I want, there is nothing more to buy. I already have a lot of the ones that I want so my buying has been cut back tremenously. I will always have the movies that I want thanks to DVD. It doesn't bother me about the media switch of home movie viewing, I don't have to stream movies because I have about 90% of the movies that I want already. Now of course there will be exceptions, but if I can't get anything new in the foreseeable future i'll just have to stick to the DVD's I already have, and that will be fine with me.
Old 02-02-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My only real concern is that the quality won't match the discs. It is and will continue to be in their best interest to keep bitrates as low as they can make them without too many complaints. Threre's no real reason to do that with discs, since the space is there to be used or wasted. With music, people seem to be just fine with lossy files, and I'm concerned that they'll be fine with lower bitrate video, as long as it's 1080p (or possibly some higher resolution in the future).
Old 02-02-10, 10:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

"On'y"? You do realize that abbreviation requires as many key strokes as the full word?
Old 02-02-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23

You are not the On'y one, I too am growing tired of it as well
Old 02-02-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23

Ditto.
Old 02-02-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Am I the only one who is worried that our days of collecting are coming to an end? I bring this up time and time again on here and it seams to just get looked over. Is it denial or just a feeling of there is nothing to panic about? Lets face it, the days of personal ownership of media is coming to an end. Blu-ray is great but I think we all can admit it's just a placeholder until a reliable and sellable form of streaming (or more unlikely downloading) is worked out. And once that happens anyone who wants to "buy" a title will have to more-or-less rent it. Why do I say rent? Because you will not be owning anything but access to a file that is controlled by the studio or media provider. Psychical media like VHS, LD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. if properly taken care of by their owners can be enjoyed for the rest of his/her life. No matter how many new formats come and go old psychical media formats will still be playable. Unlike non-psychical formats that will only be available as long as the providers allow it to be available. What happens when the thousands you have spent on streamed media one day is no longer available because your provider is out of business? Streaming/downloading becomes a dead format? or perhaps some titles are just no longer available for lack of sales? There will be nothing you can do. But those DVDs will still work. What scares me the most is how the general public will see all of this. With talk of being able to just long into an account from any where and on any devise and have your entire purchased catalog available at the blink of an eye will probable be a pretty big hit. Hell it even sounds amazing to me. No more storing of media and being able to have an entire collection with you at all times... The public will eat it up. But for those of us who collect and enjoy the ownership of a title rather than watching it once and trading it in at a pawn shop, we can see the danger. And that danger is the end of media ownership. I do not want to rent. I want to own. Have you ever read the FAQs on sites like iTunes, WB, etc. They all say that the media you download is "owned". And its those quotations that scare the hell out of me.
So seriously... What are your thoughts? And really think about this. Some say psychical media will always be here. And perhaps it will. We have no 100% way of knowing. But I can't see why it would be. streaming/downloading offers an amazing variety of positives. More titles, the ability to watch your collection anywhere, and it will be a lot cheaper for the studios. But sadly it also offers one very large negative... The end of media ownership by the buyer.
Psychical media... media for psychics? They just hold the disc and "see" what's on it? That's the future of media. We won't even have to stream...we just "tune in" to the idea of a movie and "see" it in our heads. No need to actually produce anything. James Cameron can just imagine a sequel to AVATAR and he then beams it out to all his fans.

(Roger Corman once did LSD at a park in California, as research for his 1967 movie, THE TRIP, and he had the idea that if you envisioned a movie and put your head on the ground, anyone around the world who put his head to the ground could pick up the movie in their heads.)
Old 02-02-10, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Psychical media... media for psychics? They just hold the disc and "see" what's on it? That's the future of media. We won't even have to stream...we just "tune in" to the idea of a movie and "see" it in our heads. No need to actually produce anything. James Cameron can just imagine a sequel to AVATAR and he then beams it out to all his fans.

(Roger Corman once did LSD at a park in California, as research for his 1967 movie, THE TRIP, and he had the idea that if you envisioned a movie and put your head on the ground, anyone around the world who put his head to the ground could pick up the movie in their heads.)
That's what happens when you have your computer set so automatically correct words. I really need to turn that function off. It seamed cool at the time but now I need to overly proof read everything to make sure not only I spelled everything correctly buy that my computer did as well.
Old 02-02-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Physical media will be always be around in some form. If downloading becomes the norm I'm sure you'll be able to put it on a 5TB compact hard-drive that will store it "forever". You won't have to solely rely on an outside provider.

I think Blu-ray will probably be the last disc format and I imagine when downloading/streaming begin to take over we'll still have Blu-ray and DVD but they will not be as cheap, especially in the case of DVD, as they are now because the volume will be considerably less.

Even today, I opened the newspaper and saw a full-page ad for Zombieland, "Now on Blu-ray, DVD & Digital Download"
Old 02-02-10, 11:16 AM
Banned

Re: Am I The Only One Who Is Worried?

Originally Posted by Groucho
"On'y"? You do realize that abbreviation requires as many key strokes as the full word?
typo. it won't let me fix it.
Old 02-02-10, 11:25 AM

Even if the DVD/BR discs go away, I doubt it will happen for years... I still have customers looking for cassettes and vhs. Believe it or not, everyone does not have the internet or cable.
Old 02-02-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can't really control whether physical media will die out and it's not going to happen in the next couple of years, so why spend a lot of time and energy worrying about it?
Old 02-02-10, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
We can't really control whether physical media will die out and it's not going to happen in the next couple of years, so why spend a lot of time and energy worrying about it?
dvd collecting has gone from a hobby to more of a way of life for me in the past few years. i love movies, tv shows, etc and collecting all my favorites is something i find fun. its a blend of two loves for me. film and collecting. the perfect hobby. and to think that the past 10 years i've been enjoying the hell out of something that will be forced to and end really bothers me. but what has come to bother me even more is that others on here just kinda blow the idea off like it wont matter. and if collectors do not care that they will not be able to collect anymore then you can be damn sure the general public will not care that they are forced to long term rent rather than buy and own.

Last edited by dkedvd; 02-02-10 at 12:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.