Will our collecting come to an end? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Will our collecting come to an end? [merged]

Originally Posted by visitor Q
If I could legally store films on hard drives to be used as a "jukebox" then I would whole-heartedly do it as long as the .iso (or whatever) files included any extra features as a physical release would, and at least provide the same quality in audio and video presentations.
We're already at that point technology wise. PS3 and the ps3 media server. I've only done it with home movies I've put on DVD of course. It reads iso files and you can stream it to your TV through the PS3.

Gone are the days when you bore your neighbors with slide shows of your trip to Florida. Now you can bore them with moving pictures and sounds.
Old 01-05-10, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but everyone has to realize 5 years ago we weren't talking about streaming or downloading as much as we are today. It was still something new to most people. Sure we had all heard of it and Napster was big but most people still just copied their friends CDs. Psychical media was what was the norm. Now a days streaming and downloading is becoming the new big thing. So where as now we laugh and say "hahaha CDs are still here when we said they would be gone 5 years ago." now that downloading has become the more dominate way of getting music we see stores closing and prices dropping. its just not the same as it was a few years back. within these psst few years we went from having to own a cell phone, digital camera, mp3 player, gps, and so on... Now hell we have the iPhone that does just about everything. It's starting to get all about having your entire media collection in your pocket. Hell in a few years I wouldn't be surprised if our PCs were in our pockets and we just docked them at home to view on a larger screen. To us psychical media is king. But its not up to us it up to the kids of today. And more and more I see people and kids caring less about physical media and wanting everything at the touch of a button. Non-psychical media is not moving at the same rate it was a few years back. its moving at rocket speeds now. And I think mp3s have a lot to do with that. A lot of people/kids started to latch on to having their entire music collection in their pockets (hell even I love that). and from there it went to pictures, games, movies and so on... I can guarantee that if it came to the point where there was a movie version of the iPod (i'm taking a iPod that could hold thousands of movies like a regular iPod can hold thousands of songs) it would be huge and be just as much a burden on DVDs as mp3 payers have been on CDs. Or more likely streaming will be HUGE. Where you can watch any movie, tv show, documentary, etc on any media device anywhere in the world simply by logging into your account. To the average consumer that would sound amazing. Even to me it sounds great. But as a collector I can see the hidden problems and would expect to someday loos my entire streamed collection. Most people wont look that far into the future.

Last edited by dkedvd; 01-05-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, it's all up to the distributers. If there is enough demand for them to press physical media, they'll continue to do it. One concern to have is where will this be sold? B&M stores may scale back their DVD sections in response to increased streaming, as we have seen with stores that house CD libraries. In that instance, it's likely that purchasing would rely heavier on the online marketplace. Even in this scenario, it's unlikely that stores wouldn't carry the big titles.

The distributors are going to follow the money, just as they always have, and just as any smart business should. If the money leads to streaming, you will certainly see a focus on that area, but not a complete abandonment of physical media.
Old 01-05-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont think collecting will come to an end when things move towards digital distrubition, yeah you wont have used stuff or ebay but not sure if its collecting but I like seeing my Steam List grow when I buy games, I how steam when you go to community and my games how it list all games and kind of has cover art next to it. Nice way of showing what games you have.

I wouldnt mind it that way. But I would miss buying cheap used stuff. But I still think Digital Distrubtion is ways away. Even though you can steam HD on netflix, when you view the HD video on for example our 92 inch screen off our projector it doesnt look that great. The Bitrate is still extremely low as is the sound quality.

You cant stream HD and get the same quality as Bluray as sometimes often is 30+MBps and the sound quality is up there too.
Old 01-05-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If we want to start streaming movies in BD quality at some point, Comcast's 250GB/mo isn't going to cut it.
Old 01-05-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
but everyone has to realize 5 years ago we weren't talking about streaming or downloading as much as we are today. It was still something new to most people. Sure we had all heard of it and Napster was big but most people still just copied their friends CDs. Psychical media was what was the norm. Now a days streaming and downloading is becoming the new big thing. So where as now we laugh and say "hahaha CDs are still here when we said they would be gone 5 years ago." now that downloading has become the more dominate way of getting music we see stores closing and prices dropping. its just not the same as it was a few years back. within these psst few years we went from having to own a cell phone, digital camera, mp3 player, gps, and so on... Now hell we have the iPhone that does just about everything. It's starting to get all about having your entire media collection in your pocket. Hell in a few years I wouldn't be surprised if our PCs were in our pockets and we just docked them at home to view on a larger screen. To us psychical media is king. But its not up to us it up to the kids of today. And more and more I see people and kids caring less about physical media and wanting everything at the touch of a button. Non-psychical media is not moving at the same rate it was a few years back. its moving at rocket speeds now. And I think mp3s have a lot to do with that. A lot of people/kids started to latch on to having their entire music collection in their pockets (hell even I love that). and from there it went to pictures, games, movies and so on... I can guarantee that if it came to the point where there was a movie version of the iPod (i'm taking a iPod that could hold thousands of movies like a regular iPod can hold thousands of songs) it would be huge and be just as much a burden on DVDs as mp3 payers have been on CDs. Or more likely streaming will be HUGE. Where you can watch any movie, tv show, documentary, etc on any media device anywhere in the world simply by logging into your account. To the average consumer that would sound amazing. Even to me it sounds great. But as a collector I can see the hidden problems and would expect to someday loos my entire streamed collection. Most people wont look that far into the future.
You keep on talking about music downloads, despite the fact that music and film are two very different things in terms of how they are enjoyed. You also didn't seem to acknowledge what I said earlier about as CD sales fall, vinyl sales are increasing. And that's not just being driven by old farts; that's the youth as well - that youth who you say doesn't care about physical media.
Old 01-05-10, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clckworang
You keep on talking about music downloads, despite the fact that music and film are two very different things in terms of how they are enjoyed. You also didn't seem to acknowledge what I said earlier about as CD sales fall, vinyl sales are increasing. And that's not just being driven by old farts; that's the youth as well - that youth who you say doesn't care about physical media.
Well, we can all acknowledge that there will always be people that support old technology. Having said that, would you rather have the revenue stream from music digital downloads or vinyl? Oh, and just how much extra does the vinyl cost due to low production runs? Can you get all your music on vinyl?

These are some of my concerns for the future of disc media. How much are they gonna soak me because of my need to have a thing in my hands? How many of the older niche titles are just not going to be available, period?
Old 01-05-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

The rise in vinyl is more about the marketing of cool retro packaging. I'm sure most young people who have the vinyl also have either the CD or a download for their portable device.

Music and movies are not enjoyed in the same way but how they are distributed will be similar.

For people who like to rent movies, it involves a trip to and from the video store. Downloading or VOD will be a much easier and cost-effective way of getting the films you want to watch at home.

If you like purchasing movies, pretty soon (picture & sound quality pending with downloading) the only advantage of buying a DVD or CD will be the packaging.

It will basically come down to how much you like the packaging and the disc art.
Old 01-05-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
I'm sure there are a lot of peopoe who still buy CDs. But I'm also sure they make up less than half of the music owning population. With the other half being people who download or steal their music. The smaller the percentage of CD buys gets the less of a reason for company to supply them.
CD sales would increase dramatically if they would reduce the prices of catalog discs like they do movies on dvd.

A dvd comes out at 20 bucks and then you can buy it in a couple of years for 3 to 5 bucks brand new. Why this doesn't translate to the music/CD market is beyond me.

Why does a CD cost 10 to 15 dollars years after it has been released?
Old 01-05-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Well, we can all acknowledge that there will always be people that support old technology. Having said that, would you rather have the revenue stream from music digital downloads or vinyl? Oh, and just how much extra does the vinyl cost due to low production runs? Can you get all your music on vinyl?

These are some of my concerns for the future of disc media. How much are they gonna soak me because of my need to have a thing in my hands? How many of the older niche titles are just not going to be available, period?
Uh, I would rather have both revenue streams. Why settle for just one?

Vinyl prices can vary. I can usually find new records for about the same price of a CD, sometimes about $5 more.

I can't really think of any bands, new or old, that don't have a vinyl option. They are widely available and Amazon has a HUGE listing in their vinyl section, from every genre.

Originally Posted by orangerunner
The rise in vinyl is more about the marketing of cool retro packaging. I'm sure most young people who have the vinyl also have either the CD or a download for their portable device.

Music and movies are not enjoyed in the same way but how they are distributed will be similar.

For people who like to rent movies, it involves a trip to and from the video store. Downloading or VOD will be a much easier and cost-effective way of getting the films you want to watch at home.

If you like purchasing movies, pretty soon (picture & sound quality pending with downloading) the only advantage of buying a DVD or CD will be the packaging.

It will basically come down to how much you like the packaging and the disc art.
Cool retro packaging? It's the same packaging as the CD only record size. There might be the rare title that gets a special vinyl cover or something, but it's just the same packaging. Don't underestimate the experience of listening to an album. The nice big artwork is just part of it. The rise in vinyl has more to do with the quality of sound.

And you just made the biggest argument for why physical media isn't going anywhere when you said those same young people who buy vinyl probably also have the CD or download. That's what the suits want! Just the thought of that probably gives some execs a big erection.

We don't really know yet how cost-effective streaming will be for all movies. Plus, if you are talking about streaming, you are basically eliminating the collector aspect. It becomes a one-time use type of thing or a subscription. People have always liked to own things!

But again, I think you already made my argument for me. For more and more people, they aren't limited to just one format. There are a couple of music releases I own on CD, vinyl and have on my mp3 player. I don't see that changing for films. People may choose to download something for the convenience but will go to something physical for ownership or supplements. I suspect extras will remain a thing for physical formats. You want to stream or download? You get the movie only. You want more? Buy the disc. Plus, I think it will be easier for physical formats to stay one step ahead on quality over streaming.

Last edited by clckworang; 01-05-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 03:59 PM

As long as they keep making movies and games.. I guess so!
Old 01-05-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
CD sales would increase dramatically if they would reduce the prices of catalog discs like they do movies on dvd.

A dvd comes out at 20 bucks and then you can buy it in a couple of years for 3 to 5 bucks brand new. Why this doesn't translate to the music/CD market is beyond me.

Why does a CD cost 10 to 15 dollars years after it has been released?
This has also baffled me as well. As a product, in my mind, there is more "value" in a DVD movie than a CD and yet prices for CDs haven't dropped since the early nineties as opposed to DVDs which can be had for as low as $3.00.

I bought Meat Loaf "Bat Out of Hell" in 1992 for $9.99 and it's still the same price today. Metallica Black Album is still $14 today as it was when it came out in 1991.
Old 01-05-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I love movies, but a CD that I can replay over and over, probably has more value to me. I can listen to a CD four hundred times, but there are movies I bought, watched once, and would love to get rid of, but they aren't even worth it except to give away.

I'm done with the crazy DVD buying, and I don't plan on owning many BDs. I'll probably just stick to renting, and I will purchase those movies I know I will watch multiples times. Otherwise a netflix model is fine for me with streaming included.
Old 01-05-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Cool retro packaging? It's the same packaging as the CD only record size. There might be the rare title that gets a special vinyl cover or something, but it's just the same packaging. Don't underestimate the experience of listening to an album. The nice big artwork is just part of it. The rise in vinyl has more to do with the quality of sound.
I definitely enjoy the sound of vinyl. Especially with Soul and Motown.

You have to admit (even just a little) the rise in Vinyl at least amongst in the Hardcore/Punk communities/labels is the collectivity. So much of what comes out of the Hardcore/Punk labels is distributed in so many different colors (which are in numbered runs) it's crazy. Most of those kids have the same album, but different colors (and rarity). Maybe a normal press of 1,000 on White, but have the same album on Purple Marble Swirl with a press of 200.

Resell is actually pretty good as well depending on Color Rarity.
Old 01-05-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Darknite39
If we want to start streaming movies in BD quality at some point, Comcast's 250GB/mo isn't going to cut it.
Exactly, if I streamed the amount of just SD stuff I normally watch, I'd be hitting that cap easily.

I see streaming replacing the rental industry and nothing more. As a result, I see big studio stuff probably increasing in price on physical media, but niche stuff will likely continue to sell well.

Is the general consumer keeping Criterion alive? No, it's the collector and the person who wants a physical copy.

And I totally agree the music comparison is not valid. CDs are still over priced and always have been. I'll gladly shell out $15 for a quality movie as opposed to $15 for 99% of the CDs out there. Even $10 for a CD still seems way too steep for most releases.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 01-05-10 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the idea that there is a renewed interest in vinyl, I think it gives a sense of hope for the music industry that there are people that are still interested in the band & the album as a whole rather than just these deletable singles that you can download.

By packaging, I mean the whole package as a product. I think it's more of a nostalgic & collectible novelty to buy the vinyl. Who knows? 8-tracks might be next cool retro thing to put into your car stereo. I think there's less to do with the "sound", at least for the younger set, and more to do with their collectible appeal. MP3 downloads are inferior to CD sound and yet they remain the choice of most young people.

And you just made the biggest argument for why physical media isn't going anywhere when you said those same young people who buy vinyl probably also have the CD or download. That's what the suits want! Just the thought of that probably gives some execs a big erection..
Anything that contributes to more sales is a good thing! That's why we have Steelbooks, little collectible toy trinkets etc. that come with some DVDs/Blu-rays. There's a certain market for it for certain products.

We don't really know yet how cost-effective streaming will be for all movies. Plus, if you are talking about streaming, you are basically eliminating the collector aspect. It becomes a one-time use type of thing or a subscription. People have always liked to own things!..
I agree. My worry is how much the price will go up for these things when the volume goes down. Let's face it, certain movies have a fanbase that want to own them, but many movies are just one-time-only rentals.

When studios can achieve the same profits without the cost of producing, packaging, storing and shipping physical media, that will be the direction they'll be inclined to go in.

Last edited by orangerunner; 01-05-10 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I definitely enjoy the sound of vinyl. Especially with Soul and Motown.

You have to admit (even just a little) the rise in Vinyl at least amongst in the Hardcore/Punk communities/labels is the collectivity. So much of what comes out of the Hardcore/Punk labels is distributed in so many different colors (which are in numbered runs) it's crazy. Most of those kids have the same album, but different colors (and rarity). Maybe a normal press of 1,000 on White, but have the same album on Purple Marble Swirl with a press of 200.

Resell is actually pretty good as well depending on Color Rarity.
That's definitely true; I happily concede that. The niches like that have more collectivity (I'm a hardcore/punk fan as well). But that doesn't account for the fact that nearly every new CD also has a vinyl release. If you go on Amazon, the top 10 sellers include Nirvana, Madonna, Phoenix, Radiohead, The Beatles, Them Crooked Vultures, Vampire Weekend, Lady Gaga, The Flaming Lips and Bon Iver. Of those, I think only the Flaming Lips one is a special pressing. Records have gotten pretty mainstream.

But it's pretty tough to beat the sound of vinyl. I'm basically at the point where I don't buy CDs anymore. I'll download and then buy the vinyl for it. Even better, some are now packaged with CDs or mp3 versions.
Old 01-06-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if physical media goes away completely, why would i ever go into a bestbuy?

but seriously, what the heck would bestbuy sell? dvds, blu-rays, games, and music cds along with most of the hardware to play them will be gone?

and if streaming is going to be accessible to everyone in the nation, i think there will need to be a little more stimulus money directed to broadband infrastructure.

that said, sure dvd and blu-ray collecting will come to an end in the relatively distant future. but how it happens i dont think anyone knows
Old 01-06-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

That's definitely true; I happily concede that. The niches like that have more collectivity (I'm a hardcore/punk fan as well). But that doesn't account for the fact that nearly every new CD also has a vinyl release. If you go on Amazon, the top 10 sellers include Nirvana, Madonna, Phoenix, Radiohead, The Beatles, Them Crooked Vultures, Vampire Weekend, Lady Gaga, The Flaming Lips and Bon Iver. Of those, I think only the Flaming Lips one is a special pressing. Records have gotten pretty mainstream.

But it's pretty tough to beat the sound of vinyl. I'm basically at the point where I don't buy CDs anymore. I'll download and then buy the vinyl for it. Even better, some are now packaged with CDs or mp3 versions.
Very true. The local Borders has even started to sell a good amount of vinyl and people of all ages have been picking up releases.

Again, definitely agree with you about the sound. Murder By Death's 180g release of "Red Of Tooth And Claw" is kind of ridiculously awesome.
Old 01-06-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From this article: http://www.federalcigarjugband.com/Pages/78.html

Unlike some hobbies, the money you spend on collecting 78's stays with you.
Collectable 78's, especially country blues, jug band, prewar jazz and early white string band music, tend to be increasing in value faster than money in the bank.
Old 01-06-10, 09:00 AM

Many ISPs are already putting limits on speed and bandwidth consumption. If you champion streaming, be ready to pay a lot more for a film in the future compared to what you are paying now for a dvd. The main reason everything becomes overpriced is because people cannot say no. Dvds in the current setup have a much better life cycle. Streaming is not going to be the wonderful "Oh, they'll have everything" setup, storage, servers and related hardware at some point will cause content providers to dump the less frequently streamed content. The electronics companies would have some harsh words for the film studios if they abandoned a physical format.
Old 01-06-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
From this article: http://www.federalcigarjugband.com/Pages/78.html

Unlike some hobbies, the money you spend on collecting 78's stays with you.
Collectable 78's, especially country blues, jug band, prewar jazz and early white string band music, tend to be increasing in value faster than money in the bank.
We can't guarantee these plates will increase in value but based on previous plates...

I forget how the second half goes.
Old 01-06-10, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved
Many ISPs are already putting limits on speed and bandwidth consumption. If you champion streaming, be ready to pay a lot more for a film in the future compared to what you are paying now for a dvd. The main reason everything becomes overpriced is because people cannot say no. Dvds in the current setup have a much better life cycle. Streaming is not going to be the wonderful "Oh, they'll have everything" setup, storage, servers and related hardware at some point will cause content providers to dump the less frequently streamed content. The electronics companies would have some harsh words for the film studios if they abandoned a physical format.
The whole ISP bandwidth capping issue is a red herring. Most of these potential streaming solutions are putting together partnerships with the major cable providers like Comcast and Time/Warner and acting as middle-men with the studios. Ideally, they are looking for access through the existing settop box, not through some website. Any bandwidth utilized through the settop box will not count against the internet data total.

And hardware vendors could care less about the studio's plans. They will make whatever hardware people are willing to buy. Just ask Toshiba.
Old 01-06-10, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
The whole ISP bandwidth capping issue is a red herring. Most of these potential streaming solutions are putting together partnerships with the major cable providers like Comcast and Time/Warner and acting as middle-men with the studios. Ideally, they are looking for access through the existing settop box, not through some website. Any bandwidth utilized through the settop box will not count against the internet data total.

And hardware vendors could care less about the studio's plans. They will make whatever hardware people are willing to buy. Just ask Toshiba.
In my area Time Warner and the competition have lowered bandwidth after customers complained about the caps. Currently my bandwidth is the lowest that it has been in over five years. This morning TW announced it was once again raising its rates.
Old 01-07-10, 08:14 AM

I have recently discovered zip.ca (netflix for Canadians) and that my local library can order many great movies free of charge. Combined with the increasing prices and reduced extras on DVDs, and my collecting days largely have ended. I'll buy a few of the titles I really like, but my buying will go from double digits to near zero.

Have any of you made a similar change?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.