DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

Old 12-28-09, 08:40 PM

A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

I was in Target tonight and I saw that they had "Film Favorites: A Nightmare on Elm Street 1 - 4" and "Film Favorites: A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 - 8" for $9.99 each. I know the set doesn't include the two-disc edition of the original film, but what about Freddy Vs. Jason? I got the individual release of Freddy Vs. Jason for Christmas, and that's two discs, so how is that packaged with the 5 - 8 collection? Since I know they had to include two films on each disc (one on each side), is it just the first disc of the Freddy Vs. Jason DVD? I don't know why I care since I already have the movie, I'm just curious.

Also, what would the difference be (other than price and the fact that there are 2 movies on one disc) in buying the Film Favorites DVDs or buying the Nightmare On Elm Street DVD Collection? Is there anything exclusive to that set that's not available in the Film Favorites DVDs?
Old 12-28-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

I thought these Film Favorites were stripped of special features and just contain the films themselves.

The Nightmare box has quite a bit of extras.
Old 12-28-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just disc one of FvJ. It's kind of lame that they included that and not the Nightmare Series Encyclopedia, the eighth bonus disc not included in the Favorites sets, because now I own 3 copies of it -- the one in the Favorites set, the one in the Jason Slasher 3-Movie Collection and the Blu-Ray. The content for 2-7 is identical to the discs in the box set, but the 4 Film Favorites is obviously much cheaper and more compact, and I've seen the Nightmare Series Encyclopedia in used stores all by its lonesome before (such as here: http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Ency...2054867&sr=8-1).

There is also the fact that the audio is apparently different on the 2-disc Nightmare, so there might be an advantage to having the old one-disc version in the Favorites set. Me, I own the 2-disc Nightmare, the two 4 Film Favorites Sets, and the Nightmare Encyclopedia, glasses pouch and booklet from the box set. However, it might be worth waiting and seeing if New Line/Warner do anything when the new movie comes out.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 12-28-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 09:01 PM

Thanks for your help! $20 for 8 movies is cheap enough, but maybe I'll wait for the release of the new film, it's only 4 months away so we'll see, maybe they'll re-release the box set or something. I was just afraid if I watched FvJ I wouldn't understand because I haven't seen any of the films in either series, so that was my main concern. Interesting about the Nightmare Series Encyclopedia, that might be nice to find.
Old 12-28-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
Thanks for your help! $20 for 8 movies is cheap enough, but maybe I'll wait for the release of the new film, it's only 4 months away so we'll see, maybe they'll re-release the box set or something. I was just afraid if I watched FvJ I wouldn't understand because I haven't seen any of the films in either series, so that was my main concern. Interesting about the Nightmare Series Encyclopedia, that might be nice to find.
Even if they don't do anything new, perhaps they'll attach a sticker to the 4 Film Favorites sets for a free print out ticket for the new one.
Old 12-28-09, 09:33 PM

Yeah, I'll wait just to see what happens. Whenever I buy a DVD that's been out for quite some time, it always turns out that a new and better edition is being released soon. Since the Nightmare on Elm Street films have only had (I believe) one barebones DVD release (aside from the first film) and have been out for years I think I'll wait. I'm sure they'll be re-released either in April or (more likely) around the new film's DVD release.
Old 12-28-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
Just disc one of FvJ. It's kind of lame that they included that and not the Nightmare Series Encyclopedia, the eighth bonus disc not included in the Favorites sets, because now I own 3 copies of it -- the one in the Favorites set, the one in the Jason Slasher 3-Movie Collection and the Blu-Ray. The content for 2-7 is identical to the discs in the box set, but the 4 Film Favorites is obviously much cheaper and more compact, and I've seen the Nightmare Series Encyclopedia in used stores all by its lonesome before (such as here: http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Ency...2054867&sr=8-1).

There is also the fact that the audio is apparently different on the 2-disc Nightmare, so there might be an advantage to having the old one-disc version in the Favorites set. Me, I own the 2-disc Nightmare, the two 4 Film Favorites Sets, and the Nightmare Encyclopedia, glasses pouch and booklet from the box set. However, it might be worth waiting and seeing if New Line/Warner do anything when the new movie comes out.
But in reality the Nightmare Encyclopedia disc is worthless. It's just random interviews that are okay at best. Had they edited them into one documentary then it would have been fantastic!
Old 12-29-09, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
But in reality the Nightmare Encyclopedia disc is worthless. It's just random interviews that are okay at best. Had they edited them into one documentary then it would have been fantastic!
I don't know, I really liked it. That said, there is a very short documentary to start things off, and then there is a gallery of short interview snippets relating to each individual sequel. If you don't look long enough, you might miss the latter galleries, but those are what made the disc worthwhile for me. I haven't spent much time trying to dig through the maze.
Old 12-29-09, 01:13 PM

I don't know, I really liked it. That said, there is a very short documentary to start things off, and then there is a gallery of short interview snippets relating to each individual sequel. If you don't look long enough, you might miss the latter galleries, but those are what made the disc worthwhile for me. I haven't spent much time trying to dig through the maze.
You can see pretty much everything by going through the index, no need to go through the Labyrinth.
Old 12-29-09, 03:36 PM

I'm still waiting for the footage from the 2 Tape VHS to be including in some release.

Old 12-30-09, 01:44 PM

I have that VHS somewhere, don't even remember where I got it. Must have been off of eBay. Does New Line own that footage because that was an Anchor Bay release, which I find odd that New Line would allow Anchor Bay to release that in the first place.
Old 12-30-09, 02:30 PM

as far as I know all those extras are on the encyclopedia.. if you know how/where to find them! I know that I have seen 3 alternate endings on the encyclopedia disk, for example.
Old 12-30-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

There is also the fact that the audio is apparently different on the 2-disc Nightmare, so there might be an advantage to having the old one-disc version in the Favorites set.
How's it different?
Old 12-30-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
I have that VHS somewhere, don't even remember where I got it. Must have been off of eBay. Does New Line own that footage because that was an Anchor Bay release, which I find odd that New Line would allow Anchor Bay to release that in the first place.
When New Line Cinema made the original Nightmare film they didn't have a home video department. (This was before the Turner ownership). They would release their films through other video companies like Media and RCA. Media was eventually bought out by a company called Anchor Bay. If I remember correctly this two tape set came out in 1996, right at the tail end of the Media/New Line contract (Which I am assuming lasted 10 years). A two tape set for The Hidden was also released around the same time. If I remember correctly Media had the rights to the first 4 Nightmare films.

But yeah, New Line should pretty much own all the footage for this film. They may have to do new transfers because Anchor Bay may have paid to have the footage and want something in return. (which they would probably want to do a new transfers anyway, because we are talking 1995 masters).
Old 12-30-09, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
as far as I know all those extras are on the encyclopedia.. if you know how/where to find them! I know that I have seen 3 alternate endings on the encyclopedia disk, for example.
The deleted scenes aren't on there, the alternate endings are the only things on the Encyclopedia
Old 12-30-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
How's it different?
Talk starts on post 188 of this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/45...26-06-a-8.html

ETA: I almost forgot, it's worth noting that in April, Anchor Bay will be putting out a feature-length documentary on DVD called Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy, with the bonus feature-length Heather Langenkamp documentary I Am Nancy on the 2nd disc. I liked His Name Was Jason fine, but I'm hoping this doc (well, one or the other) will be up with Halloween: 25 Years of Terror in quality, because I really love that set, it's a must-own.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 12-30-09 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-30-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ETA: I almost forgot, it's worth noting that in April, Anchor Bay will be putting out a feature-length documentary on DVD called Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy, with the bonus feature-length Heather Langenkamp documentary I Am Nancy on the 2nd disc. I liked His Name Was Jason fine, but I'm hoping this doc (well, one or the other) will be up with Halloween: 25 Years of Terror in quality, because I really love that set, it's a must-own.
Well, looks like I'll be adding that doc to my collection...
Old 12-30-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Talk starts on post 188 of this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/45...26-06-a-8.html
I have the box set. I'm assuming the audio on that is fine?
Old 12-30-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
I have the box set. I'm assuming the audio on that is fine?
Yeah, as far as I know.
Old 12-30-09, 10:34 PM

Not until April? Damn! I've been waiting for this one. I had no clue there would be a documentary about Heather Langenkamp, that's an added surprise. I hope that they also release the NOES series on BD around the time of the remake. I hope they put the whole series on BD with some special features and don't just release the first one, though I'm sure we're more likely to just get the first one and POSSIBLY the rest of the series when the remake comes out on BD.
Old 12-30-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's a press release: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/335...entary-its-way

and a short trailer.

The press release and official site say "Spring 2010". I got April off of the facebook page.
Old 12-31-09, 12:59 AM

Here's a press release: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/335...entary-its-way

and a short trailer.

The press release and official site say "Spring 2010". I got April off of the facebook page.
Yeah I've seen that, I just wish it was coming sooner.
Old 01-07-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...lm-street.html

Interesting, it says it's 8 discs. I thought it'd just be the two Four Film Favorites in a single box. Too bad it doesn't look like there's any new special features, though.

The original is coming to Blu-Ray the same day, I believe. Both will probably include Movie Cash (I know the Blu-Ray does, anyway).
Old 01-07-10, 09:06 PM

See, I knew this would happen! So basically this is just all the films repackaged into a box set? I assume the original film isn't going to be the Infinifilm Edition? If this set is going to be the same prints of the discs used for the Film Favorites, I would be way better off just getting the Film Favorites set! I saw the original 1999 box set in Newbury Comics brand new for $42 and I was tempted to buy it for the bonus documentary, but I passed.
Old 01-07-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
See, I knew this would happen! So basically this is just all the films repackaged into a box set? I assume the original film isn't going to be the Infinifilm Edition? If this set is going to be the same prints of the discs used for the Film Favorites, I would be way better off just getting the Film Favorites set! I saw the original 1999 box set in Newbury Comics brand new for $42 and I was tempted to buy it for the bonus documentary, but I passed.
Even $42 is too much, since Amazon.com still sells the old bulky box for $35, with some used at $25: http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-...2922283&sr=8-1

So, the pros and cons of all of these editions to sum up:

The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection - New Line Platinum Series (8 Discs, $35.99)
Pros:
- Comes with a thick collector's booklet with the press notes from each movie, along with introductions from Wes Craven and Robert Englund
- Includes 4 pairs of anaglyph 3D glasses with which to view the 3D finale of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
- Includes The Nightmare Series Encyclopedia, with interview galleries for all 7 Nightmare movies
- Contains original Nightmare release without audio edits
- Really classy artwork that uses the poster illustrations

Cons:
- Takes up the most space
- Does not include Infinifilm 2-Disc edition of A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Still comes in snap cases AFAIK (some people still hate 'em)
- Alternate endings for A Nightmare on Elm Street are hidden in the "maze" game on the Encyclopedia disc

A Nightmare on Elm Street: 4 Film Favorites 1-4 and 5-8 (4 Discs, approximately $19.98)
Pros:
- Compact
- Content for 1-5 and New Nightmare is identical to the content included in the 8 disc box set
- Includes Freddy vs. Jason
- Contains original Nightmare release without audio edits
- Cheapest of all the options

Cons:
- No Nightmare Encyclopedia (although it can be gotten on Amazon individually for about $3.00 shipped)
- Does not include any content from the Infinifilm 2-Disc edition of A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Does not include Disc 2 of Freddy vs. Jason's 2-disc set
- All 4 discs are double sided (some people hate 'em)
- No option to watch the end of Freddy's Dead in anaglyph 3D

Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (8 Discs, MSRP $49.92)
Pros:
- Potentially as or more compact than the two 4 Film Favorites releases
- Includes Freddy vs. Jason
- (Almost undoubtedly) includes Movie Cash to see Nightmare on Elm Street remake

Cons:
- No Nightmare Encyclopedia
- Probably doesn't include Infinifilm edition of A Nightmare on Elm Street, and if it does, includes audio edits
- Does not include Disc 2 of Freddy vs. Jason's 2-disc set
- Will potentially be (depending on how retailers mark it down) the most expensive of the Nightmare collections available with little advantage

I still say the best bet is the 2 4 Film Favorites sets + 2-Disc Nightmare + Encyclopedia disc by itself, in addition to or subbing in Freddy vs. Jason and the upcoming Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-Rays. But I say that having kept the booklet and Encyclopedia disc from my box set and sold the sequels individually.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-10-10 at 01:37 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.