A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

Old 04-19-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

Originally Posted by TomOpus
For those in the L.A. area, there is this major signing for the documentary at Dark Delicacies:

NEVER SLEEP AGAIN DVD
PLEASE NOTE: We are no longer taking mail orders for this; pre-orders are still available if you will be attending the event. On May 1st at 2 p.m.: The documentary on the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, Never Sleep Again (DVD) signing with guests to be announced. The much anticipated documentary of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. This is a ticketed event. Pre-order the DVD and a number will be issued for your place in line. NOTE: The guests will only be signing the DVD or the poster not both and they will not be signing any other items. We will be cutting off pre-orders for people not attending on April 22nd. Guest list as of April 10th: Daniel Farrands (Co-director/producer), Andrew Kasch (co-director/editor), Thommy Hutson (writer/producer), Heather Langenkamp (narrator/executive producer, Nancy Thompson in Dream Warriors), Buz Wallick (director of photography), Sean Schafer Hennessy (composer), Michael Granberry (main titles designer), Benni Pierce (editor), Lito Velasco (co-producer), Annette Slomka (line producer/assistant editor), Justin Cruise (sound design), Kim Williams (post production supervisor), Mike Mendez (assistant editor), Don Crandall (key grip), Jenna Busch (makeup artist).

Elm Street films cast and crew: Tuesday Knight (Kristen Parker:The Dream Master), Kelly Jo Minter (Yvonne:The Dream Child), Ira Heiden (Will Stanton: Dream Warriors), Zack Ward (Bobby Davis:Freddy vs. Jason), Ken Sagoes (Kincaid: Dream Warriors), CJ Strawn (Production Designer:The Dream Child), Christopher Young (Composer:Freddy's Revenge), Jacques Haitkin (Cinematographer:Freddy's Revenge), John Skipp (Writer:The Dream Child), Mark Irwin (Cinematographer:New Nightmare), Mark Shostrom (Makeup: Dream Warriors), David J. Schow (Writer:Freddy's Nightares), Roy Wagner (Cinematographer: Dream Warriors), J. Peter Robinson (Composer:New Nightmare), Erika Anderson (Greta Gibson: Dream Child), Renny Harlin (Director - Dream Master), Jennifer Rubin (Dream Warriors), Tobe Sexton (Teenage Freddy in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare), Kim Myers (Lisa in Nightmare 2), Miko Hughes (Dylan in Wes Craven's New Nightmare), and Leslie Hoffman (Nightmare on Elm Street).

Damn. I might be moving to L.A. in August... I hope they keep doing stuff like this once I get out there!
Old 04-19-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People keep pointing out the 240 minute runtime. But according to the site its 2 Discs 240 minutes EACH disc combing to be 480 minutes all together. I can't wait to add the 2-disc documentary to my Nightmare Blu-Ray and Infinifilm 2-Disc DVD and the Nightmare Box set(2-3-4-5-6-7-Encyclopeida)
Old 04-20-10, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by TNAJason
People keep pointing out the 240 minute runtime. But according to the site its 2 Discs 240 minutes EACH disc combing to be 480 minutes all together. I can't wait to add the 2-disc documentary to my Nightmare Blu-Ray and Infinifilm 2-Disc DVD and the Nightmare Box set(2-3-4-5-6-7-Encyclopeida)
Well the main feature is 240 minutes, with an additional 240 minutes of bonus features, which I'm all for, but I refer to the documentary as 4 hours. Whatever, this is going to be SO much better than the Friday the 13th one from last year. I seriously can't wait! NOES was the first horror series I saw all the way through when I went through my horror movie days back in 1999. It's going to be great! This is pretty much the equivalent of the Crystal Lake Memories book, but better!
Old 05-01-10, 02:21 PM

How very odd. I got an e-mail today telling me my NEVER SLEEP AGAIN DVD was sent out today, and then when the mail came it was in the mail! I super excited! I got my autographed poster along with it, it was folded inside a small package with the DVD, but never the less, I'm about to put it in!
Old 05-01-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Monkees
How very odd. I got an e-mail today telling me my NEVER SLEEP AGAIN DVD was sent out today, and then when the mail came it was in the mail! I super excited! I got my autographed poster along with it, it was folded inside a small package with the DVD, but never the less, I'm about to put it in!
I got the shipping notification last night and mine arrived today. I was only able to get through the section on the original nightmare, but hopefully I can finish off the first disc tomorrow. So far it's great.
Old 05-01-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI... Blu-ray tentatively sched for Oct. for the doc.
Old 05-01-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
D'oh. I just ordered mine today. Oh well, I don't want to wait until October anyway.
Old 05-01-10, 11:21 PM

I sat through the whole 4 hours in one sitting. Great documentary! Very in depth. The first 45 minutes are all about the first film alone. They touch upon the gay themes in part 2 and talk Peter Jackson's idea for part 6 (which sounded really cool). Everyone just seemed to be having a good time. I thought one of the cooler things in the doc was that over the end credits a lot of the cast members recieted different lines of theirs from the films, it was neat. Also they talk about how crappy the TV series was and even Robert Shaye admits he abandoned the series and stopped caring after a few episodes.
Old 05-02-10, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Awesome. I really wish the Blu was out now but I can wait until October. Thanks for posting that.
Old 05-02-10, 05:57 AM

Monkees , since you already watched the doc, can you tell us if there is any behind the scenes, or deleted scenes from freddys revenge??? What about tv spots ???
Old 05-02-10, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bammer
Monkees , since you already watched the doc, can you tell us if there is any behind the scenes, or deleted scenes from freddys revenge??? What about tv spots ???
No TV spots, I remember them talking about a monster bird that was made for the parakeet scene and they showed the bird while shooting the scene for a small amount of time, but nothing too impressive. I don't really remember too much more about that. I do remember some brief deleted footage but I can't remember which movies they were from.
Old 05-02-10, 04:45 PM

Thanks, and what about the claymation footage thats been talked about ?
Old 05-03-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a TON of footage in this thing, it's really great. I watched the whole four hours of disc one over the weekend and haven't gotten in disc two yet, but it's really great. I'm shocked they were able to clear all the clips and footage they use in it. This thing even covers "Just the Ten of Us" and the Nightmare connection. It's pretty in depth and definitive.
Old 05-03-10, 02:34 PM

Thanks, and what about the claymation footage thats been talked about ?
It's kind of interesting, the entire opening credits is done with the claymation imitating scenes from the movies and then they use them before each section
Old 05-03-10, 04:55 PM

Thanks,cant wait for it !!
Old 05-03-10, 09:33 PM

Does anyone know if the documentary is going to be carried by any B&M retailers tomorrow?

I'd rather stop somewhere and pick up a copy than have to deal with ordering online.
Old 05-03-10, 11:50 PM

It doesn't show up on Best Buy's site so it may not be carried by retailers, but again that could mean absolutely nothing
Old 05-04-10, 04:53 AM

Well, its official .Preordering at amazon is pointless,I just got an e mail that my order wont ship today , because they didnt get their copies in !!!Not only that, they have no idea when theyll get them in.
Old 05-04-10, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, its official .Preordering at amazon is pointless,I just got an e mail that my order wont ship today , because they didnt get their copies in !!!Not only that, they have no idea when theyll get them in.
and this is amazon's fault because.....?
Old 05-04-10, 09:26 AM

Im not saying its amazons fault.Im just saying it makes preordering pointless.Half the fun of a preorder, is to check on your order on release date, and see that it shipped.If you think im complaining, you should see the backlash this title is receiving, on some of the horror forums.How could the company that produced this doc , botch up something so simple, as having it available, on its given release date???Its definitely not because theres a lack of expected sales, its outselling nightmare on elm street blu ray for crying out loud !!!Now ill never hear the end of it, from my friend whos a friday the 13th fanatic!!! He will be saying, his name was jason was everywhere on release date, so he is more popular than freddy.

Last edited by bummer; 05-04-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-04-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Im not saying its amazons fault.Im just saying it makes preordering pointless.Half the fun of a preorder, is to check on your order on release date, and see that it shipped.If you think im complaining, you should see the backlash this title is receiving, on some of the horror forums.How could the company that produced this doc , botch up something so simple, as having it available, on its given release date???Its definitely not because theres a lack of expected sales, its outselling nightmare on elm street blu ray for crying out loud !!!Now ill never hear the end of it, from my friend whos a friday the 13th fanatic!!! He will be saying, his name was jason was everywhere on release date, so he is more popular than freddy.
Yeah, well, you could have avoided this by buying the title directly through the manufacturer/filmmakers, gotten an autographed poster, and likely gotten it before the release date. His Name Was Jason had the brunt of Anchor Bay, a major distributor behind it (not to mention the movie cash, so there might have even been a bit of a push from Paramount and New Line). When it comes to a tiny third-party title like this (which, even if it's outselling the Blu-Ray, it still is), I don't see why you'd run the risk of buying it through someone else.
Old 05-04-10, 12:04 PM

I dont think it wouldve made a diffrence, if I ordered it through that site.They havent shipped any copies to Europe, because theyre still busy with the US orders.At least thats what theyre saying, at the never sleep again forums.
Old 05-04-10, 12:19 PM

I ordered it through a marketplace seller on amazon this morning because they had it in stock...and a good price as well
Old 05-04-10, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Yeah, well, you could have avoided this by buying the title directly through the manufacturer/filmmakers, gotten an autographed poster, and likely gotten it before the release date. His Name Was Jason had the brunt of Anchor Bay, a major distributor behind it (not to mention the movie cash, so there might have even been a bit of a push from Paramount and New Line). When it comes to a tiny third-party title like this (which, even if it's outselling the Blu-Ray, it still is), I don't see why you'd run the risk of buying it through someone else.
That's why I ordered mine through the site. I had a feeling it wouldn't be available in stores since it wasn't a big name distribution company and I'm glad I did got it the Saturday before release date and that made me incredibly happy! I don't usually preorder anything online because they usually ship my stuff on release date and I have to wait a few days after release to get it.
Old 05-04-10, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
There's a TON of footage in this thing, it's really great. I watched the whole four hours of disc one over the weekend and haven't gotten in disc two yet, but it's really great. I'm shocked they were able to clear all the clips and footage they use in it. This thing even covers "Just the Ten of Us" and the Nightmare connection. It's pretty in depth and definitive.
I agree. They have clips from practically every studio for so many films and tv-shows that it's amazing they were able to clear all of that. Especially for an independant release like this.

This is really an excellent documentary and a million times better than "HIS NAME WAS JASON" which was really a mess and all over the place chronologically and otherwise (but still worthwhile if you're a fan of Ft13th, of course). I'm not much of a fan of the NOES sequels overall, but this 4-hour doc keeps you interested regardless. You can tell the creators left no stone unturned to get everybody they could who were involved in each film (some MIA's are Johnny Depp, Patricia Arquette, and a couple of others). And this is obviously such a labor of love for all involved, the creators of the documentary as well as all the talent participants, that the film just oozes with honesty about all the good and the bad of the series.

The extras disc also has some great stuff. Didn't watch all the deleted interview segments, but there's a short piece on the artist who did all the poster artwork, a review of the 80's videogame (pretty amusing - and the game was ridiculously bad), a piece on all the actual locations today which is great (I live about 5 blocks from Nancy's Genesee Ave. house), plus a bunch of other extras. By the way, in the deleted interview section (divided by each film), there is a short segment about the 2010 remake. You get to hear some reactions from Craven, Shaye, and others of what they think about WB just trying to cash-in on everything because they now own the franchise (and they never contacted Craven or Shaye about any of the production, of course).

Anyway, I pre-ordered this DVD-set off the 1428 site for $30 flat (with the signed poster) and feel it was worth every penny (something I rarely say these days). Glad to directly support the actual producers as well in this case so they get all the profit for a job very well done.

Last edited by man*machine; 05-04-10 at 06:39 PM. Reason: a

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.