Reload this Page >

A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

Old 01-07-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: A Nightmare On Elm Street: Film Favorites

This is bullshit, New Line/WB is just as bad as MGM/Fox with the Rocky series. Just keep releasing the same thing over and over again, don't change anything. No changes since they were originally released 10 years ago! New Line Cinema is the "House That Freddy Built" and yet they treat the sequels like garbage.
Old 01-07-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
This is bullshit, New Line/WB is just as bad as MGM/Fox with the Rocky series. Just keep releasing the same thing over and over again, don't change anything. No changes since they were originally released 10 years ago! New Line Cinema is the "House That Freddy Built" and yet they treat the sequels like garbage.
To be fair, New Line actually doesn't exist anymore, it's been eaten up by WB, and WB is not The House That Freddy Built. I imagine if New Line had made bank in 2006 and 2007 and was still an independent company today (or if Bob Shaye was still at the new, smaller New Line), they might be rolling out a better set than this.

If the remake is a huge smash, perhaps we'll get something better. Until then, I'm gonna continue hoping that Never Sleep Again is as good as 25 Years of Terror.

(although if you want to talk about bullshit, DVDActive users pointed out that the front cover of that new box set is graced with a photo of...Jackie Earle Haley, and not Robert Englund.)
Old 01-08-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

So wait, they are releasing an eight-disc boxset, that will essentially be the same content as the two 4 Film Favorites, right? Is the only thing that makes it 'better' the movie cash? Which, I'm sure would be cheaper to get the 2 4 Film Favorites and a movie ticket.
Old 01-08-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At least they're releasing the movies again so people can go to the store and have an easier time of getting it. I haven't run across the box set locally in years.

There's more than a couple movies I wish would get released again, even if it's the same as the previous one, since I can't find them anymore.
Old 01-08-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
- No Nightmare Encyclopedia (although it can be gotten on Amazon individually for about $3.00 shipped)
Thanks for pointing this out. I've wanted to unload that big box ever since I picked up the 4-Film sets, but wanted to keep the bonus disc without selling somebody a compromised set. Never even though of checking Amazon.
Old 01-08-10, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
At least they're releasing the movies again so people can go to the store and have an easier time of getting it. I haven't run across the box set locally in years.

There's more than a couple movies I wish would get released again, even if it's the same as the previous one, since I can't find them anymore.
I've seen the box set a bunch at Sam's Club and I see those 4 Favorite Films things everywhere, the movies are easy to come across. At least Paramount released "Deluxe Editions" of Friday the 13th last year, something I never thought I'd see. Now NL/WB has the chance to do so and they're fucking it up. Hopefully they redeem themselves in the fall when the remake comes out on DVD/BD.
Old 01-08-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least Paramount released "Deluxe Editions" of Friday the 13th last year, something I never thought I'd see.
I just want a box set before I'll buy that new stuff. Or at least redo the rest of the series.
Old 01-08-10, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want a box set before I'll buy that new stuff. Or at least redo the rest of the series.
If you mean the Friday series, they did - every Paramount movie got a new release, up to their last one, Jason Takes Manhattan.
Old 01-08-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by outlander78
If you mean the Friday series, they did - every Paramount movie got a new release, up to their last one, Jason Takes Manhattan.
I'm talking about a box set of the deluxe editions. The way the box set should've been done in the first place.

Assuming they go back to ever finishing the deluxe versions for the rest.

If you tell me they did release a box set of the deluxe editions already. I will confirm I've lost my mind.
Old 01-08-10, 08:24 PM

Wow, droidguy1119! Thanks for the detailed pros and cons list!

- Nightmares 2-7 are identical to the ones included in the 8 disc box set
How was the first film different from the version that appears in the 8 disc set?

I think I'll just get the Film Favorites sets, as I already own the original release of Freddy Vs. Jason, and I guess I can just order the bonus disc that came with the original 8-Disc set online. Although that extra booklet would be cool to have, I just can't justify spending more than double what the FF set will cost just for a bonus disc and a booklet. But we'll see what happens. I have a feeling I'll be able to find that original 8-Disc set for a relatively cheap price once the new set comes out. I'll also be getting the 2-Disc Infinifilm Edition of the original film.
Old 01-08-10, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54

How was the first film different from the version that appears in the 8 disc set?
I believe that the first movie is (at least) the first disc of the Infinifilm which has an additional commentary on it.
Old 01-08-10, 09:16 PM

I'm talking about a box set of the deluxe editions. The way the box set should've been done in the first place.

Assuming they go back to ever finishing the deluxe versions for the rest.
What do they have to finish? They did deluxe editions of all the Fridays they own. Unless you're referring to releasing 4 - 8 on BD.
Old 01-08-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rjh_54

How was the first film different from the version that appears in the 8 disc set
You're welcome. And I guess you're right, I just had it in my mind that the original film as presented in the Favorites is "inferior" since it isn't the 2-disc set, so I wrote 2-7, but I guess it's identical to the one in the box set. I'll tweak the post.

EDIT: Interesting to note that on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-...d_bxgy_d_img_b) both of the 4-Film Favorites have slightly different artwork than the copies I own. I prefer the ones online, they're more interesting (especially Freddy vs. Jason).

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-09-10 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 03:57 PM

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...lm-street.html

Interesting, it says it's 8 discs. I thought it'd just be the two Four Film Favorites in a single box. Too bad it doesn't look like there's any new special features, though.

The original is coming to Blu-Ray the same day, I believe. Both will probably include Movie Cash (I know the Blu-Ray does, anyway).
I had the box set with the Nightmare Encyclopedia but it was stolen. I was waiting to see if New Line would pop out a new box set with the remake but if this is what they're putting out I guess I'll just go re-buy the original box.
Old 01-09-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

(although if you want to talk about bullshit, DVDActive users pointed out that the front cover of that new box set is graced with a photo of...Jackie Earle Haley, and not Robert Englund.)
What!?!?!?!?! Don't these studios have any clue? Actually, I'm sure they do... In fact, that are probably hoping to confuse the customer by having the new Freddy and the new Nightmare font so people will think the new movie is in this set.

The current (and future Blu-ray) of Nightmare 1 has a still from Freddy vs. Jason on the front and two pictures from Part 4 on the back. Don't even get me started on the individual sets that came out shortly after the box set.

Don't they have any quality control over there?!?

At crappy as the revised Friday the 13th artwork on the box set was, at least it was the correct movie. I remember seeing preliminary artwork for that set and the cover of the box had a silver hockey mask (similar to the JGTH cover) and most of the pictures for the cases and discs themselves were from Part V (IIRC). Either that artwork was extremely preliminary or a Friday fan in the biz (probably Peter Brake, LOL) set them straight.
Old 01-09-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do they have to finish? They did deluxe editions of all the Fridays they own. Unless you're referring to releasing 4 - 8 on BD.
I didn't even realize the did them all. Never seen them in stores past the first 3.

And yes, I'm waiting for all the BDs before I jump in.
Old 01-09-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

^ All the Deluxe DVDs through Part VIII are out. They got up to Part 3 on Blu-ray and it stopped altogether. I hope sales of 1-3 weren't so bad that they've just given up.
Old 01-10-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Not sure if this has already been pointed out—droidguy's pro-and-con list doesn't explicitly state it—but keep in mind that the 4 Film Favourites collection of NIGHTMARE 4-8 does not include the 3-D sequences from FREDDY'S DEAD. Those, as far as I know, are only available in the original box-set, with the glasses (which is mentioned on his list). I'm hoping I might find that one separately before I unload the box, but haven't seen anything yet. I did pick up the bonus disc individually thanks to this thread.
Old 01-10-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Brian T
Not sure if this has already been pointed out—droidguy's pro-and-con list doesn't explicitly state it—but keep in mind that the 4 Film Favourites collection of NIGHTMARE 4-8 does not include the 3-D sequences from FREDDY'S DEAD. Those, as far as I know, are only available in the original box-set, with the glasses (which is mentioned on his list). I'm hoping I might find that one separately before I unload the box, but haven't seen anything yet. I did pick up the bonus disc individually thanks to this thread.
Interesting. I had no idea they even produced a disc that didn't include the 3D version, but you're right. I kept my 3D glasses for nothing!
Old 01-10-10, 01:50 PM

Interesting. I had no idea they even produced a disc that didn't include the 3D version, but you're right. I kept my 3D glasses for nothing!
Yeah I forgot about that. ONLY the box set, even the individual discs that came out either the same year or a year or two later (that had red covers) didn't even have it on there which I just find odd. But whatever, the 3D isn't that good anyway.

Interesting side note, I pulled out my NOES Infinifilm DVD last night to watch the special features and noticed that the making of documentary on there is entitled NEVER SLEEP AGAIN. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is also the name of the documentary on the whole series coming out in April.
Old 01-14-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah I forgot about that. ONLY the box set, even the individual discs that came out either the same year or a year or two later (that had red covers) didn't even have it on there which I just find odd. But whatever, the 3D isn't that good anyway.

Interesting side note, I pulled out my NOES Infinifilm DVD last night to watch the special features and noticed that the making of documentary on there is entitled NEVER SLEEP AGAIN. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is also the name of the documentary on the whole series coming out in April.
Yes, although Never Sleep Again is not exactly the most groundbreaking title for a Nightmare on Elm Street documentary.

Speaking of the new doc, here's some exciting news, from this post on the official production blog:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kasch
I also want to clarify one thing: Contrary to those early press reports, this will NOT be a 90-minute documentary. I’m not sure how we got it in our heads that we could adequately tell the story of a franchise (consisting of 8 films and a freagin’ TV series!) in that amount of time. Luckily, we came to our senses and decided that NEVER SLEEP AGAIN will be as long as it needs to be to deliver the most definitive doc possible. We don’t want to short-change a thing. That might mean a 3-4 hour film, but it’ll be a well-paced and entertaining one.
Now I'm really getting excited for this...even if the remake turns out to suck (which wouldn't be a surprise), at least we have this to look forward to.
Old 02-25-10, 01:46 PM

Yes, although Never Sleep Again is not exactly the most groundbreaking title for a Nightmare on Elm Street documentary.

Speaking of the new doc, here's some exciting news, from this post on the official production blog:Now I'm really getting excited for this...even if the remake turns out to suck (which wouldn't be a surprise), at least we have this to look forward to.
I really hope that's true because I want to see a 3-4 hour documentary on this series. Seriously. However was it announced to be released in April? I can't find any info on it and I fear it won't be out in April.
Old 02-25-10, 05:06 PM

Hopefully they release the documentary on a 2-disc DVD with movie cash like they did with the Jason doc last year. Me and my wife got to see the new Friday on opening day for $1 with the $10 movie cash I had.
Old 02-25-10, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Hopefully they release the documentary on a 2-disc DVD with movie cash like they did with the Jason doc last year. Me and my wife got to see the new Friday on opening day for $1 with the $10 movie cash I had.
I'm sorry you had to pay anything to see that abortion of a movie.

I too got the movie cash and got in free, thankfully not paying shit to see that!
Old 03-08-10, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

I'm really not looking forward to this remake. I can't imagine Jackie as Kruger or anyone that isn't Rob Englund to be honest. I bet they'll tack on the 2010 remake when they re-release the series as a boxset.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.