DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   A New Way Of Collecting... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/566915-new-way-collecting.html)

dkedvd 12-23-09 01:20 PM

A New Way Of Collecting...

I'm tired of this... Should I keep the movie I just bought or trade it in for $1.00 at my local pawn shop? I know what you are thinking... Did you like it? If so keep it. If not get rid of it. Right? Well sometimes it is that easy but other times it's not. Sometimes I buy a movie and think "that movie was pretty bad. But man did it have a lot of cool gore". Or "Boy that stunk. But its the only film by that director I do not own". So here is my new plan. Who cares? If I take the time to purchase a film and its not very good. I'm keeping it. It's not very often that I blind buy a truly awful film so it would only be a here and there case (maybe 2 a year, I think this would have been 3). But this way I can stop thinking about it. And I'm also tired of getting rid of a film only to buy it again a year later because I find it for super cheap and think it might be worth a second go. Sometime that pays off and sometimes not so much. So that's it... I buy... I keep. The only thing I'll be trading in anymore are double dips.
So... Anyone else do anything similar to this? My best fiend collects too and it's his way of collecting as well. Though I think he is just too lazy to take his "unliked pile" to a pawn shop. LOL.

Cardsfan111 12-23-09 01:53 PM

Re: A New Way Of Collecting...

The question I ask myself is simply whether I ever want to watch this again. I don't spend a great deal of time thinking about it...if I do, that probably means the answer is no.

dkedvd 12-23-09 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 9905312)
The question I ask myself is simply whether I ever want to watch this again. I don't spend a great deal of time thinking about it...if I do, that probably means the answer is no.

dosent work for me. i have tones of movies that i love and would never want to get rid of but will i ever watch them again? who knows... lol.

mike07 12-23-09 02:42 PM

I keep everything (except double dips, which I rarely do). Call me a pack rat if you want, but I can't justify buying a $5 movie just to sell to a pawn shop or FYE for less than a $1 (for them to turn around and sell it to someone else for $3 or more!)

deto 12-23-09 02:58 PM

i keep everything. i don't think i've ever sold any of my dvds.

camwar 12-23-09 03:04 PM

The only way I get rid of a movie is if I really hated the movie or if I can trade it for something else I want more.

GenPion 12-23-09 03:07 PM

I don't keep movies I've seen and don't like.

Kurt D 12-23-09 03:15 PM

I tend to be in the 'keep everything' camp these days. As a reviewer, that kinda sucks. Like, am I ever going to watch <i>How'd They Build That? Cement Truck</i> again? Not likely, but the daughter may want to see it some day ...

jjcool 12-23-09 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 9905312)
The question I ask myself is simply whether I ever want to watch this again.

This. Real simple. The only reason for it to be in my colelctions, is so it is available when I want to watch it again. If I'm not going to watch it again, I dont need to ahve it in my collection.

orangerunner 12-23-09 03:28 PM

I find the best way of going through my collection and deciding what stays and what goes is I ask myself this;

If I were flipping through TV channels and came across a movie that I happen to have in my collection, would I stop flipping channels & watch it?

If the answer is yes, I keep it. No, it goes.

If I can't be bothered to watch a movie or part of a movie while flipping channels, there's a less of a chance I'll actually want to get up & put the movie into the DVD player.

It doesn't apply to every movie but it's a good rule of thumb.

To keep my collection down I also avoid blind buys or buying a crappy movie just because it's cheap. Ask yourself, 'Would I still buy this movie if it was $10 instead of $5?'

dkedvd 12-23-09 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee (Post 9905461)
I tend to be in the 'keep everything' camp these days. As a reviewer, that kinda sucks. Like, am I ever going to watch <i>How'd They Build That? Cement Truck</i> again? Not likely, but the daughter may want to see it some day ...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

dkedvd 12-23-09 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner (Post 9905495)
Ask yourself, 'Would I still buy this movie if it was $10 instead of $5?'

If that was what I did I would never have bought a movie in my life. I don't pay more than $5.00 for any movie. LOL!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 12-23-09 04:37 PM

Why not sign up for Netflix, rent what you're considering to buy and if you like it, buy it? Otherwise, you're just throwing money away on buying stuff that you sell for $1, especially if it's something new.

I just keep everything. Problem solved.

Torchur317 12-23-09 05:56 PM

I only trade in double dips or movies I really really hate....

MR Round 12-24-09 02:03 PM

I never get rid of a movie unless its a double dip then I'll just throw them away. Other then that I buy anything that looks good in the trailer for the film or the cast in it

asianxcore 12-24-09 02:35 PM

I used to keep all the random Blind-Buy/Crap that I bought in my collection. Problem is I never watched them again and had a problem with films I hated in my collection.

Trading all of them in not only freed room in my collection, but I used the credit to buy stuff I know I'd like :)

nemein 12-24-09 02:57 PM

I regularly go through and try to prune the collection a bit (more for space reasons than anything else). I'll set a bunch of DVDs aside for awhile and try to rewatch them and decide if I want to keep them. If I don't, or if I don't get around to watching them and can't justify why they should be kept, they go into the give away pile. Then a couple of times a year I'll drop everything off to the library and let them deal w/ them ;)

izatright 12-24-09 07:48 PM

I rarely blind-buy any more. I've only EVER found a handful of films I love that way. These days I ONLY buy movies I know I'll like. Otherwise I rent it, have family rent it, or watch friends / family copies. I can't stand owning movies I don't like.

I also don't buy movies I like unless I plan on watching it, or it otherwise affected me positively.

MrFleharty 12-25-09 12:03 PM

ive never gotten rid of a dvd ever. Never plan on it. And almost all movies I buy are complete blind buys. I still see a movie in theatre if i think i will like it, but i stay away from tv shows while they are on tv that I plan on buying and movies as well. I already know I am going to buy them, so why not just blind buy? Waste of money? Maybe. I don't care though. It still adds to the collection.

Travis McClain 12-25-09 02:05 PM

This is one of the nice things about having gone Blu recently. The upgrade in quality is attractive enough to justify double-dipping on favorite titles, but the pricing isn't so low as to encourage the kind of bloated "It's here, I'm here, it's cheap, I'll buy" habit that inflated our DVD library.

Some of our double-dips were passed on as Christmas gifts (Tropic Thunder to my brother; The Dark Knight to our nephew), and the rest are going to be traded into Half Price Books. I could get better money from them online, but this way I don't have to worry about buyer complaints, chargebacks and me getting screwed out of the sale. Plus, I love that store and I like to think that stocking their shelves with some of these things will help keep them in business.

Boba Fett 12-25-09 03:32 PM

Why do people seem to like to force this "reconsider buying/keeping DVDs" philosophy on everyone?

It's a hobby for me and I like having some movie's at hand, even if I might rarely feel the urge to watch them.

Frankly, I think people who buy books have an even more overpriced, wasteful hobby, as those things take up a tremendous amount of space and there are very few books I want to read more than once. I don't however, go into book forums and say how people should only own the few books they really love and use the library for everything else.

MrFleharty 12-27-09 12:50 PM

Well said Boba Fett. I absolutely despise a few films I own, but Im not going to get rid of them. Im proud of my collection no matter how stupid others may think it is.

Abob Teff 12-27-09 02:03 PM

I didn't see anybody forcing their method -- just the OP stating he was changing and asking how others collect. Maybe I missed something?

As for methods -- I have "traded" in very little ... and that was early on when you could still get enough to make it somewhat worthwhile. I just don't see $1 credit as worth trading movies in (to the few places around here that still do trade-ins). It is a shame, the used DVD market was a blossoming industry at one point, but then it devalued itself right out of practicality.

Since then, I have gone through my collection a few times and pulled out 10-20 DVDs (each time) that I was willing to part with. I took them to work and sold them (the first time I did $5 each; the second time I did 3/$10 since they were "lower tier" stuff; both times I sold them all within 3 days).

That said, I have really tapered off on my DVD buying in the last 18 months. First I went to mostly used stuff, then I even cut those out. Mostly renting now (... and then there was the "Blu" fever that I caught from the Target $5 coupon ...).

adrenaline78 12-27-09 03:36 PM

by the time you actually get to the pawn shop to sell the dvd for the dollar... you'll probably already have spent that much on gas so why not keep it..

Trevor 12-27-09 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MR Round (Post 9907123)
I never get rid of a movie unless its a double dip then I'll just throw them away.

If you're serious about throwing them away, why? You're part of a community of DVD addicts here that would gladly welcome them into their homes.

Or give them to the library, or the Salvation Army. I can't imagine why anyone would throw a film away, ever.