Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own any canceled or delayed DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Does anyone own any canceled or delayed DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Does anyone own any canceled or delayed DVDs?

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I just remembered I used to have Swamp Thing, watched it once and sold it on half.com. But was it ever really "recalled"? Or did they just stop printing it and re-issue a proper version? A lot of the titles mentioned here don't seem to fit the criteria in my opinion.
yes it was, i'm too lazy to look up the thread, but some **** went to blockbuster to rent it for her kid, and as soon as she saw tits and bush (as it was the unrated cut they used, and accidently slapped the pg rating on it), she raised a fit with them, and somehow managed to get it recalled.
Old 12-10-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
yes it was, i'm too lazy to look up the thread, but some **** went to blockbuster to rent it for her kid, and as soon as she saw tits and bush (as it was the unrated cut they used, and accidently slapped the pg rating on it), she raised a fit with them, and somehow managed to get it recalled.
To be fair, it was MGM's fault for putting the PG rating on the box.
Old 12-10-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I remember the general issue with it, I even gave the disc a spin before selling it to see what the fuss was all about, but I'm questioning if MGM actually went to the trouble of ordering stores to return the stock, or if they just let it sell out and then replaced it with the new version? And not just this title, but several of the others, like the Sleepaway Camp box.

I'm asking because people are always getting the two actions confused; like when somebody like Disney lets a title go OOP, and people think that means Disney sends their jackbooted thugs to all the stores to physically remove the old copies at gunpoint, when it all it really means is that they don't print anymore and when the stores sell out, that's it.
Old 12-10-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I remember the general issue with it, I even gave the disc a spin before selling it to see what the fuss was all about, but I'm questioning if MGM actually went to the trouble of ordering stores to return the stock, or if they just let it sell out and then replaced it with the new version? And not just this title, but several of the others, like the Sleepaway Camp box.
When the matter is a legal one, like with Swamp Thing, I believe the studio has to make a best effort to recall as many copies as possible.

Found an Amazon list where someone's listed some recalled/discontinued titles and the reasons:
http://www.amazon.com/LIST-RECALLED-.../3RGFPZ0US115F
Old 12-10-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm asking because people are always getting the two actions confused; like when somebody like Disney lets a title go OOP, and people think that means Disney sends their jackbooted thugs to all the stores to physically remove the old copies at gunpoint, when it all it really means is that they don't print anymore and when the stores sell out, that's it.
I know for a fact that well after the Swamp Thing fiasco that a Hollywood Video by my house still had the "unrated" version. I rented it with intents to never return it but I kept forgetting to call them and claim I lost it so I could just pay them for it and I ended up raking in like $50 or so in late fees so I just finally returned it and never rented there again. Late fees? Ha!
Old 12-10-09, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: Swamp Thing

MGM definitely made efforts to recall the copies that were in stores. As soon as the news broke, I stopped in several local Borders stores and, in a few of them, they had already pulled the title from their shelf and it was going to be sent back. They told me they had received a recall notice from corporate and to ship the title back. Luckily, a couple of the clerks pulled it out of the ship-back box and let me buy it. I found a few more still on the shelf at different Borders and snatched them up before they pulled them. There's no way a recall can recover every copy out there, but this was definitely a recall and not just letting a discontinued title sell-off.

Last edited by man*machine; 12-10-09 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-10-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just Swamp Thing and Ed Wood.
Old 12-10-09, 09:29 PM

I own

1- Basic Instinct w/ ice pick pen(didn't know this was recalled)
2- Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Collection (bought this at a pawn shop not too long ago. It was sealed (still is)& I got it for a good price. Before reading this thread, I never knew of the 1-800 number. Checked & sure enough, my box has it. I actually dialed the number to see if it was still active. It definitely is. I hung up right away & I received 2 adult texts from them!
3 - Clownhouse
4 - Countess Dracula / The Vampire Lovers ("First Printing was recalled because the side A film "Countess Dracula" was accidentally rated "PG" (in the DVD backcover and disc) - it has nudity. New release replaced it with a "NOT RATED" rating.")
5 - Devil's Advocate w/ statue disclaimer
6 - Ed Wood silver spine w/ "When Carol Met Larry (Short)"
7 - History of Beavis & Butthead
8 - Kill Baby Kill (sealed) (Dark Sky Films release with Tim Lucas commentary track and a featurette not on the Anchor Bay edition)
9 - Led Zeppelin - Song Remains the Same 2007 release (from what I've read, The Kinks song 'You Really Got Me' is heard during the radio spot on Disc 2 & apparently The Kinks would not let Zeppelin use this audio extract)
10 - Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit w/Red Cross & bonus 4th disc
11 - Swamp Thing w/ titties

Last edited by lanemyer74; 12-11-09 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added additional information
Old 12-11-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by man*machine
Re: Swamp Thing

MGM definitely made efforts to recall the copies that were in stores. As soon as the news broke, I stopped in several local Borders stores and, in a few of them, they had already pulled the title from their shelf and it was going to be sent back. They told me they had received a recall notice from corporate and to ship the title back. Luckily, a couple of the clerks pulled it out of the ship-back box and let me buy it. I found a few more still on the shelf at different Borders and snatched them up before they pulled them. There's no way a recall can recover every copy out there, but this was definitely a recall and not just letting a discontinued title sell-off.
That's cool, I was just seeing a few titles here that were simply "oop" and not really recalled/canceled and wasn't sure.
Old 12-11-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to have a copy of that Dark Sky Kill Baby Kill, that's probably the one DVD I could never get a copy of.
Old 12-11-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going from the link that Jay G posted
I have..

The Devil's advocate

"First prints recalled in Nov. 1998 due to claim by sculptor Frederick Hart that the white sculpture of human forms on the wall of John Milton's penthouse was stolen from his work "Ex Nihilo.""

I know what you did last summer

"First prints (w/ UPC: 043396025394) - with the original theatrical trailer claiming: "from the creators of Scream"-- were recalled in 1998. Columbia Pictures was sued by the studio behind "Scream.""

Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit

"The one with "RED CROSS LOGO" on the box. 20,000 pieces were recalled & repackaged after Red Cross informed Anchor Bay that the use of their insignia was restricted by Geneva Convention

And I found a link that has a list of many recalled DVD's.

http://dvdlist.kazart.com/Reserved/a...earch=Recalled

off that list I have

Leon: The Professional

I think thats it!
Old 12-11-09, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I'd love to have a copy of that Dark Sky Kill Baby Kill, that's probably the one DVD I could never get a copy of.
I found it used at a MovieStop, still sealed. I thought these never went into circulation so you can imagine my reaction when I came across it.

Thanks for that link, adrenaline. I wish it stated reasons as to why they were recalled.

EDIT: I added History of Beavis & Butthead & Countess Dracula / The Vampire Lovers to my list. Almost forgot those.

Last edited by lanemyer74; 12-11-09 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added additional information
Old 12-15-09, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the complete series of The Beastmaster tv show. The company that was putting it out lost the right, along with the rights to several other shows. Luckily, the sets got into a few Best Buys.
Old 12-15-09, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Raimi and Tapert are the guys behind Ghost House, and The Thaw is a Ghost House Underground release. I believe all of the Ghost House releases say the same thing.

I have the recalled Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Collection box set with the sex-line "bumper sticker" on the top of the artwork.
what was the sex-line bumper sticker ?
Old 12-16-09, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The Sleepaway Camp box was still on shelves for months after the real Red Cross complained, just the new copies that came in after had the altered cover. I bought that on release date anyways, so it was nice to have a small collector's item after the fact. The Bill & Ted box has a sticker drawn on the top (it's supposed to be the phone booth) that says something like "How's my time traveling? Call 1-800..." I forget the number, but it was something someone had just made up but turned out to be for a phone sex line. Interestingly, there's a part in the movie "Koyaanisqatsi" showing a few frames of a TV showing Jerry Falwell with his 800 number on the screen. Bored, I called the number some 20 years after that movie was made, and it's now a phone sex number.
Old 12-16-09, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I have "P2" on HD-DVD, which was printed but not put out for sale after the format's death was announced- Ebay sellers seemed to have gotten all of them. I also got "Taking Lives" on HD-DVD from an Ebay seller, this also wasn't put out for sale, not sure why.
I have both of these HD-DVDs as well. Got them from eBay sellers. I opened up P2 to watch it since I had never seen it, but I left Taking Lives sealed since I have seen it before.
Old 12-16-09, 06:24 PM

I have a working copy of the Limited Collector's Edition of Saw V, which came in a box when, if you pressed a button, a fake blade spun and Jigsaw talked and sound effects went off. The set was recalled because the fake blades on most of the sets did not spin. Luckily I found a copy for $34.99 at FYE. I haven't seen this in any other stores, so I guess FYE just received one shipment and tried to sell them. A few months ago I went to a different FYE and they had one leftover copy of it and it was on sale for $14.99.

I also have a copy of the initial pressing of the Classic Christmas Favorites box set, which came with the wrong version of "The Year Without A Santa Claus" in it. It was recalled because so many people complained and Warner reissued the set with the correct version, and instead of printing new boxes, the new UPC is on a sticker that is placed directly over the old UPC.

Last edited by rjh_54; 12-16-09 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a copy of KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park that was put out by a company that didn't really have the rights to do so. I'm not sure if was ever available in stores, but I snagged a copy at Overstock.com.

A widescreen version was eventully released officially on KISSology Vol. 2, and I have that one as well.

I also have the original Star Trek Generations cover. I also have the original cover of Aerosmith's Nine Lives but of course that's a CD.
Old 12-16-09, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54
I have a working copy of the Limited Collector's Edition of Saw V, which came in a box when, if you pressed a button, a fake blade spun and Jigsaw talked and sound effects went off. The set was recalled because the fake blades on most of the sets did not spin. Luckily I found a copy for $34.99 at FYE.
Really - this was recalled? It was available pretty much everywhere on release date and the few copies I played with at Target played fine. I have some friends that picked it up elsewhere with no problem as well. Has anyone actually seen one that doesn't work? (I'm sure over time, many will stop working eventually.) Never heard anything about any sort of recall, though. I think Lions Gate probably just sold off their limited edition of this thing and if the one you happened to buy simply didn't work, then just ask for your money back.
Old 12-16-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Really - this was recalled? It was available pretty much everywhere on release date and the few copies I played with at Target played fine. I have some friends that picked it up elsewhere with no problem as well. Has anyone actually seen one that doesn't work? (I'm sure over time, many will stop working eventually.) Never heard anything about any sort of recall, though. I think Lions Gate probably just sold off their limited edition of this thing and if the one you happened to buy simply didn't work, then just ask for your money back.
I doubt it was ever recalled.
Our Blockbuster got 3 or 4 of them in and we sold them eventually.
We never received a recall on that.
Old 12-16-09, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The Sleepaway Camp box was still on shelves for months after the real Red Cross complained, just the new copies that came in after had the altered cover. I bought that on release date anyways, so it was nice to have a small collector's item after the fact.
As do I with the Best Buy Bonus Disc of Part 4 that never came out.
Old 12-17-09, 03:49 PM

I heard it was recalled, but maybe the person was wrong. But I went to Target, Best Buy, and Wal Mart on the day of its release and neither had copies in the store or spaces reserved for that particular edition, and some e-tailers had no copies in stock from the get-go. I have actually seen a non-working copy. When I was purchasing it at FYE they only had 2 copies - one that worked and one that didn't. The one that didn't work just talked, but the blade didn't work, but I tried it in the store to make sure the copy I got had a working blade.

In the last post on a discussion at Amazon.com (which I can't post since I haven't made 30 posts HERE yet), the author says that many CE sets didn't even make it to stores (presumably since many didn't work), but they also say they didn't make enough, which I don't really believe since many people had complained about the $39.99 MSRP for the CE.

Last edited by rjh_54; 12-17-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
what was the sex-line bumper sticker ?
1-800-555-6969

Have fun!
Old 12-18-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lanemyer74
1-800-555-6969

Have fun!
More specifically, it was a bumper sticker that said "How's My Time Traveling?" on the top of the "phone booth", and obviously the number was chosen because of the moment in the first film. I can't believe nobody realized that might be a bad idea, but perhaps cover artists lead sheltered lives.
Old 12-18-09, 06:43 PM

Being a big fan of the 1984 "Delivery Boys", I was elated when I read on Amazon that it was finally being released on DVD June 11, 2007. I placed a pre-order but then was notified that it wasn't available.

I finally had to get a version through Amazon UK. It plays on one of my DVD players and won't on another.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.