DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   do you think blu ray will over take dvds? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/565703-do-you-think-blu-ray-will-over-take-dvds.html)

ilovedeals 12-01-09 12:37 PM

do you think blu ray will over take dvds?

yes or no and why

.unholy 12-01-09 12:43 PM

Re: do you think blu ray will over take dvds?

Here's another poll idea: do you think punctuation will become completely optional within the next few years?

SethDLH 12-01-09 12:45 PM

this is a great bargain.

Groucho 12-01-09 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by .unholy (Post 9864628)
Here's another poll idea: do you think punctuation will become completely optional within the next few years?

.No

riotinmyskull 12-01-09 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 9864632)
this is a great bargain.

he loves deals.

jpb07 12-01-09 12:56 PM

You missed one option....I already buy many more Blu-Rays than DVDs. Throwing out TV sets which are available primarily in DVD and cheapo DVDs (looking at you Amazon), I would estimate 9 of every 10 movies that come into this household are on BR. The only reason it's not 10 of 10 is because our only BR player is in the living room and sometimes my wife likes to watch her kind of movies in the bedroom.

I voted for 5 years or more but I think that might change with the great strategy the coalition is using. Disney is doing a great thing buy selling their combo BR/DVD packs for roughly the cost of the DVDs alone. Add to that the availability of inexpensive BRs during the holidays and sub-$100 players. It will be interesting to see what the install base looks like in a few months.

I should have taken a picture of it...last Friday our local Ghetto Mart had priced with black marker "Blue Rays $9.99."

dkedvd 12-01-09 12:56 PM

Yes. There are already a bunch of titles that are OOP on DVD and only available on BD. I think studios are really pushing BD and will eventually stop making DVDs just as they did VHS... Hell the prices on BDs has already drop considerably. Maybe not on newer tiles but older titles it has. Personally I still buy everything on DVD. I only have one BD title and that's only because its a full season that I got for $6.00. I don't even have a BD player to watch it on yet. So I am sticking to DVD until I am eventual I'm forced to go BD. But who really knows... DVDs are still BDs biggest competition. If prices eventually drop to DVD prices I think it will def happen. HD is becoming the new standard. Ever try looking for a new standard TV? Good luck!

izatright 12-01-09 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by .unholy (Post 9864628)

Hate to say it, but if you've been glancing around the internet at all you may have noticed that it's been optional for years.

dkedvd 12-01-09 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 9864632)
this is a great bargain.

Yea... def does not belong here. lol.

asianxcore 12-01-09 01:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvcR2O194a8

dkedvd 12-01-09 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 9864696)

HAHAHAHAHAH! Off topic but I'll let it slide for the laughs!

Trevor 12-01-09 01:14 PM

Not enuf options in the poll

Serious answer. I don't think it will ever get to the point where even 50% of the titles available on DVD right now will be put on blu-ray. So I guess, no.

I buy blu when I can, but most of the good stuff doesn't even get released on blu.

The Cow 12-01-09 01:16 PM

Blu-ray releases for the most part are better than DVD now.

jpm3985 12-01-09 01:19 PM

my estimated timeline:
2010 => Blu Rays will continue to gain marketshare. VHS Purists (yes i said VHS) are still crying over DVD taking over and VHS going out of style in 05-06
2011 => Ownership of Blu Ray players will near 80%. Library's will still be majority DVD.
2012 => Ownership of Blu Ray players will near 100%. Librbary's will be approximately 20% BD in the AVERAGE HH. DVD Talker's will have totally converted their library's on all available titles by this time.
2013 => Average HH will continue to increase # of BD titles. DVD will still be dominant
2014 => Blu Ray becomes dominant
2015 => Studios stop releasing in DVD
2016 => DVD gets mostly phased out except for personal recording purposes.

mrpayroll 12-01-09 01:25 PM

Leave the guy (girl ? :drool: ) alone! :lol:

I picked more than 5 years because I think most people who are DVD based are more than happy with the picture and quality. I think what will cause Blu Ray to overtake DVDz is the continuing rapid price drops that we are seeing.

It seems that the movie studios are agressively lowering the wholesale prices they charge Amazon, etc. to buy copies. They keep the SRP high and when Amazon can sell something for 60% off the retail price we all jump on it like rabid dogs.

It took DVDz almost 10 years before the prices started falling rapidly and that was because of the release of Blu Rays & HD DVD :rip:

Feel free to disagree with me... but if ilovedeals is a girl... LEAVE HER ALONE! :mad:

Chris

GMan2819 12-01-09 01:34 PM

It'll take a few years, at least 5, maybe more. Walmart was selling $80 Magnavox BD players on BF. At the store I was at, from what I could tell in the 2 hours I was there, they weren't moving. I don't think the average Joe is going to buy BD until/unless they need to replace a broken DVD player and the everyday prices on players and movies are comparable to DVD prices.

Also, they need to do a better job training the Walmart drones. I overheard one customer asking a drone whether that BD player can play CDs. The drone looks at the box and says nope - only BDs. Amazingly, there did not appear to be any wording on the box about backwards compatibility with DVD & CD! If it was there, it certainly wasn't prominent.

dkedvd 12-01-09 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jpm3985 (Post 9864725)
DVD Talker's will have totally converted their library's on all available titles by this time.

Not this DVD Talker. I'll convert some tiles. Like titles that are just over the top amazing in HD but will I be converting Spice Word, or Super Mario Bros.? Yea, probably not. And I'll only convert if the BD title is $5.00 or under and even then for a lot of titles I'll only see it being truly worth it if it has some pretty cool special features that are not on my DVD release. So I would say that at least %75 of my current DVD library (though probably more) will be staying on DVD. BD is great but its just not the difference that VHS to DVD was. Its not not worth the money to convert everything. Hell I still to this day buy VHS. I pick them up for 25cents each. They are great place holders until I find the title for $5.00 or under on DVD.

E Unit 12-01-09 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9864640)
he loves deals.

but does he love lamp

jpm3985 12-01-09 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by dkedvd (Post 9864768)
Not this DVD Talker. I'll convert some tiles. Like titles that are just over the top amazing in HD but will I be converting Spice Word, or Super Mario Bros.? Yea, probably not. And I'll only convert if the BD title is $5.00 or under and even then for a lot of titles I'll only see it being truly worth it if it has some pretty cool special features that are not on my DVD release. So I would say that at least %75 of my current DVD library (though probably more) will be staying on DVD. BD is great but its just not the difference that VHS to DVD was. Its not not worth the money to convert everything. Hell I still to this day buy VHS. I pick them up for 25cents each. They are great place holders until I find the title for $5.00 or under on DVD.

true but the average reader of this forum (including you) can state the difference between widescreen and fullscreen and can explain why widescreen is not "robbing you of picture". Therefore, the attention to quality that the average DVD Talker puts on items makes me believe that the average DVDTalker will be quick to convert. I have even read stories of some being at full conversion of available titles. Having said all that, me personally i will probably not convert but instead make all new purchased BD as possible. But its still early in the game ;))

styl3s 12-01-09 02:17 PM

Nope, atleast not in the next 5 years

i only buy BR's that are worth buying in BR, im not wasting money on a BR looks like an up scaled DVD when i can buy the dvd for 50% cheaper and play it on my 1080i upscaling dvd player

out of my 700 dvds i would say about 50-60 are blu-ray, and i only own a few tv shows since most get shit transfers (looking at you dexter and burn notice)

dkedvd 12-01-09 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jpm3985 (Post 9864791)
true but the average reader of this forum (including you) can state the difference between widescreen and fullscreen and can explain why widescreen is not "robbing you of picture". Therefore, the attention to quality that the average DVD Talker puts on items makes me believe that the average DVDTalker will be quick to convert. I have even read stories of some being at full conversion of available titles. Having said all that, me personally i will probably not convert but instead make all new purchased BD as possible. But its still early in the game ;))

Yea but there is a big difference between converting from full screen to widescreen VS converting from DVD to BD (at least to me). I cannot tell you how many full screen title I've re-bough in widescreen. But if my DVD is the original OAR and its not a title that is anything special in HD I'll be keeping the DVD. HD quality is great but its just not that great to get me to convert everything I own. And i still think paying more than $5.00 for a title and $10.00 for a season is a waist of money. LOL. So until I can get BD titles for that cheap DVDs it is! :)

ctyankee 12-01-09 02:52 PM

Blu-Ray? Never will be a big deal and will be replaced by the next manufacturers' attempt at a big deal.

GMan2819 12-01-09 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by jpm3985 (Post 9864791)
Therefore, the attention to quality that the average DVD Talker puts on items makes me believe that the average DVDTalker will be quick to convert.

Sure there are a few who will convert everything but they probably have small libraries. I have over 2000 titles in my collection. No way I'm going to convert everything. DVD is fine for most stuff. Most of the titles I've been buying in HD are titles I don't already own. The few that I have converted are non-anamorphic, have other worthwhile upgrades, or were too cheap to resist ($5 or less, Braveheart and Gladiator are free after MIR!). Even those had to be titles that I envision watching more than once or twice.

Anyways, the DVD Bargains forum is still way more active than the BD Bargains forum so that tells me that the number of BD owners is still relatively small.

quid squid 12-01-09 03:25 PM

I'm fine with DVD sticking around. The longer DVDs stay in households and sells well the, the longer we will get better BR deals.

dvd-4-life 12-01-09 03:36 PM

Nope-not at the snail's pace they are on new releases. I just started into the blu-ray game and checked the upcoming titles and its a big disapointment. If the studio's are so behind the new system-the least they could do would come out with more releases in a shorter period of time. I don't see how they expect to make money if the product is so limited. If it takes more time to produce new blu-rays then up the productivity.