Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MTV's The Maxx and The Head coming out on Amazon DVD-R

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: MTV's The Maxx and The Head coming out on Amazon DVD-R

DVD-R... whatever... I'm stoked that I can finally own both of these series, regardless of how they'[re coming out. I used to love me some Liquid Television back in the day. I'll gladly bite at $17.99 for The Maxx.
Old 12-07-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, in other words, will the DVD-R of THE MAXX play on every dvd player most likely? Is there any reason why this DVD-R wouldn't play on a DVD player?
Old 12-07-09, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
So, in other words, will the DVD-R of THE MAXX play on every dvd player most likely? Is there any reason why this DVD-R wouldn't play on a DVD player?
Chances are if your player cost more than $20 bucks you'll be fine
Old 12-11-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Maxx is December 17, according to Amazon.
Old 12-11-09, 03:48 PM

What was the original story behind Maxx that was changed for TV from the comic?

Last edited by Chas Speed; 12-12-09 at 12:08 AM. Reason: removed spoiler question
Old 12-11-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So things aren't spoiled here, the wikipedia page for The Maxx has a full summary of the comic plotline.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 12-11-09 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
So things aren't spoiled here, the wikipedia page for The Maxx has a full summary of the comic plotline.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-09, 02:27 AM
Suspended

Awesome! I'm down for The Maxx. I haven't seen all the episodes, so this is great! Can't wait!
Old 12-12-09, 09:46 AM

Awesome news, but The Maxx should get a proper DVD release with extras. I would pay a more for it. I loved it when it showed back in the 90's, and still have the VHS tape somewhere.
Old 12-12-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by pseudo
Awesome news, but The Maxx should get a proper DVD release with extras. I would pay a more for it. I loved it when it showed back in the 90's, and still have the VHS tape somewhere.
But The Maxx IS getting extras. As has been said in this thread, it's getting commentaries on every episode and interviews.
Old 12-12-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
OK, stupid question here: What's the difference between a commercial DVD and a DVD-R.
Commercial DVDs are pressed, or stamped. They create a glass master that then stamps the pits into each DVD disc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_manufacturing
http://www.megalodon.com/disc-manufacturing.html
https://www.mediatechnics.com/dvdcopiers.htm

DVD-Rs have a temperature-sensitive die that will "burn," or melt away when a recording laser is applied to it, but is unaffected by a reading laser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recordable

Pressed DVDs are faster to make, and are cheaper when producing over 1000 DVDs at once. DVD-Rs take longer and are more expensive per-disc, but on smaller runs are more economical since they don't require the expensive glass master and a large pressing plant.

Do they rip the DVD-R from a master DVD?
No, the DVD-R is authored, like any DVD. However, the authored image is simply directly burned to a DVD-R instead of cut into a master.

Is there a loss of video/audio quality?
Assuming they have the same amount of storage space (such as a dual-layer DVD and dual-layer DVD-R), the quality, and indeed the individual bits, will be identical.

Does the DVD-R have a shorter life span?
Since DVD-Rs use a temperature-sensitive die for the recording layer, they have a theoretically shorter lifespan than pressed DVDs. DVD-R manufacturers estimate DVDR lifespans as anywhere between 20-200 years, depending on the manufacturer.
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/opticalmedialongevity.html
Old 12-17-09, 03:12 AM

For anyone still on the fence about this one -

Just dropped to $14.99 on Amazon and releases today
Old 12-17-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response and links, Jay G.
Old 12-17-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
For anyone still on the fence about this one -

Just dropped to $14.99 on Amazon and releases today
Great, since I pre-ordered it at 17.99, the price didn't change to $14.99. I was hoping to cancel my pre-order and then re-buy it for a cheaper price. So, basically I lost 3 bucks. This happen to anyone else?

Per my Amazon account:
We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-17-09 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-17-09, 11:10 AM

Great, since I pre-ordered it at 17.99, the price didn't change to $14.99. I was hoping to cancel my pre-order and then re-buy it for a cheaper price. So, basically I lost 3 bucks. This happen to anyone else?

Per my Amazon account:
We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.
Actually, today is the release date for it, so you should get the 3 bucks back due to the pre-order price guarantee
Old 12-17-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Great, since I pre-ordered it at 17.99, the price didn't change to $14.99. I was hoping to cancel my pre-order and then re-buy it for a cheaper price. So, basically I lost 3 bucks.
If Amazon doesn't automatically refund you the 3 bucks, contact customer support and ask for it.
Old 12-17-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
If Amazon doesn't automatically refund you the 3 bucks, contact customer support and ask for it.
Do I have a time limit to do this or should I do it as soon as possible?
Old 12-17-09, 11:57 AM

Do I have a time limit to do this or should I do it as soon as possible?
They will only charge you $14.99, but if they make a mistake there is no time limit.
Old 12-17-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Thanks for the detailed response and links, Jay G.
I'll second that "thanks"...I have been trying to fill in my Hammer collection and a few of the goodies are only available on DVD-R. Been kind of wary of them not knowing much about them. (plus they ain't cheap!). At least now I know a little more.
Old 12-17-09, 12:58 PM
Cool New Member

I don't know why some of you are complaining about not enough extras. I'm not sure how well aware of Sam Kieth you are, but it's amazing the guy is coming out of hiding to do a full commentary track!

Can't wait!
Old 12-17-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

JOLTMAN and JAY G.

So, here's the response from Amazon:

Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on DVD. I recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. I can't edit the order price as it has already entered shipping process. Under these circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of $3.27. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days. Please understand that I'm issuing this refund because of the exceptional circumstances, and I'm doing this for you against our standard policy.

Are they being nice or are they full of shit? Is this some generic email that they send, because The Maxx is only sold through Amazon - I don't see a "choice of retailers" as they say.
Old 12-17-09, 04:07 PM

I've never had a problem with Amazon's pre-order guarantee. Whatever the lowest price is on release day is what you'll ultimately be charged. Usually 24-48 hours after the release you should get an email about the price difference and the refund. No need to contact them prematurely.
Old 12-17-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's kind of weird about the "one-time exception" thing. You've pissed them off somehow, watch your back!
Old 12-18-09, 07:06 AM

JOLTMAN and JAY G.

So, here's the response from Amazon:

Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on DVD. I recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. I can't edit the order price as it has already entered shipping process. Under these circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of $3.27. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days. Please understand that I'm issuing this refund because of the exceptional circumstances, and I'm doing this for you against our standard policy.

Are they being nice or are they full of shit? Is this some generic email that they send, because The Maxx is only sold through Amazon - I don't see a "choice of retailers" as they say.
I'm betting that CSR didn't realize that you pre-ordered it, and the price changed on the day it was released. Their pre-order price guarantee specifically says that you get the lowest price between the time you order and the end of the release day.
Old 12-18-09, 11:49 AM

I also had a weird experience with a CSR regarding this -

Release date is 12/17. I called them at 1:55 AM on 12/17 because:

* My delivery date said 12/21 (2-day shipping). The website said if you do 2-day shipping (and this was as of 12/17) it would be delivered on 12/19. I would have preferred to get it on the 19th rather than the following monday.

* My card was authorized for $17.99 on 12/17 (meaning it was being prepared to ship), even though the website said $14.99

The CSR said he couldn't fix either of these (because it was already being prepared for shipment) but that he would note my account and I can call back later to have the difference refunded. Rather than calling, I sent an email and was refunded the $3. But the email said:

I see that you contacted us again and one of my colleagues have refunded you the price difference of $3.00 on the item "The Maxx: The Complete Series".

Please understand that I'm issuing this refund because of the exceptional circumstances, and I'm doing this for you against our standard policy.

I didn't even receive a shipment notice until a few hours ago (11:54PM on 12/17). First time I've had them say anything like this - I wonder why?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.