Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MTV's The Maxx and The Head coming out on Amazon DVD-R

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
MTV's The Maxx and The Head coming out on Amazon DVD-R

I just happened to search Amazon for The Maxx to see what they had as far as TPBs, and here's what I found: The Maxx: The Complete Series It is being released as an Amazon DVD-R and includes interviews and a commentary on every episode!

And then, it links to another one: The Head: The Complete Series another MTV animated series from the same time. Also an Amazon DVD-R, this one doesn't seem to include any special features.

No release date on either of them, but hopefully it's soon!
Old 11-30-09, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MTV's The Maxx and The Head coming out on Amazon DVD-R

Ughh... Enough with the damn DVD-Rs! If I wanted a shotty DVD-R copy I'd download the torrents and burn my own. How about some real DVD releases? Or at the very least if you are going to make these DVD-Rs why not price them as so? All these Amazon/WB DVD-R releases are over prices coasters. Shame on them!
Old 11-30-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is going to be my only option to get The Maxx, then so be it. As long as it's better than the VHS rips online, I'll be happy.
Old 11-30-09, 09:26 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I had downloaded a copy of The Maxx years ago...and that copy was pretty awesome. Sure it was a touched up VHS rip, but it was 1st gen and it was pretty damn good.

I like these DVD-R things, but I wish they would add some bonus content to go with it. Either way, I am in for both.
Old 11-30-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, stupid question here: What's the difference between a commercial DVD-R and a DVD.

Do they rip the DVD-R from a master DVD? Is there a loss of video/audio quality? Does the DVD-R have a shorter life span?
Old 11-30-09, 10:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Ughh... Enough with the damn DVD-Rs! If I wanted a shotty DVD-R copy I'd download the torrents and burn my own. How about some real DVD releases? Or at the very least if you are going to make these DVD-Rs why not price them as so? All these Amazon/WB DVD-R releases are over prices coasters. Shame on them!
I Agree wholeheartedly!
Old 11-30-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
OK, stupid question here: What's the difference between a commercial DVD-R and a DVD.

Do they rip the DVD-R from a master DVD? Is there a loss of video/audio quality? Does the DVD-R have a shorter life span?
Cheaper to produce but they don't pass the savings onto consumers, as usual.

You don't need a factory to burn a DVD-R, so they could just burn copies as they're ordered.
Old 11-30-09, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Cheaper to produce but they don't pass the savings onto consumers, as usual.
Yep... Saves the studios a tone and costs us twice as much as a standard season release. That's some great marketing there. This why I hate this new DVD-R craze! I understand why the studios are doing this. And all in all its not a horrible idea. It gets a lot of titles that otherwise would never see the light of day out there but common... How about some special features and prices that aren't through the roof? I'm not going to pay $35.00 for a bare bones DVD-R copy.

Last edited by dkedvd; 11-30-09 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep... Saves the studios a tone and costs us twice as much as a standard season release.
It's not really anything new. There's always some new technology or something that'll save companies money but the savings never really get passed onto us.
Things like movie digital downloads at amazon sometimes even cost more than buying the physical media.

You pretty much just need to get it in your head that if DVD-R wasn't around, they wouldn't release it at all. Then just wait for a sale since they're way overpriced. WB did just have a sale that brought the price down to $10 each if you got 10.

How about this, the companies that started season sets of a TV show that had poor sales so they stopped releasing the shows should sell the rest of the series on DVD-R.
Old 11-30-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep... Saves the studios a tone and costs us twice as much as a standard season release. That's some great marketing there. This why I hate this new DVD-R craze! I understand why the studios are doing this. And all in all its not a horrible idea. It gets a lot of titles that otherwise would never see the light of day out there but common... How about some special features and prices that aren't through the roof? I'm not going to pay $35.00 for a bare bones DVD-R copy.
The Maxx is $17.99 and it includes interviews and commentary on all episodes. DVD-R or no DVD-R, I see nothing at all to complain about. Also, most TV shows are around $29.99, so calling $35 "twice as much" is a gross overstatement.

The Head seems to be down, though.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 11-30-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What droidguy said, where are you getting your numbers? Twice as much? So you're saying it'd cost $9 otherwise? And since both of these releases are being sold for less than $35, I would hope you wouldn't be paying that much. $18 is a valid price for one season of The Maxx and $25 is about right for two seasons of The Head, and hey look, special features, just like you wanted. Why are you complaining again?
Old 11-30-09, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
What droidguy said, where are you getting your numbers? Twice as much? So you're saying it'd cost $9 otherwise? And since both of these releases are being sold for less than $35, I would hope you wouldn't be paying that much. $18 is a valid price for one season of The Maxx and $25 is about right for two seasons of The Head, and hey look, special features, just like you wanted. Why are you complaining again?
1. I was referring to previously Amazon DVD-R releases that go for $35.00 or more. I was actually quite surprised to see the "lower" pricing on these DVD-Rs.
2. I had read nothing at the the time on any special features.
3. I still think even $18.00 is too much for a DVD-R. And lets not forget shipping.
Old 11-30-09, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The Maxx is $17.99 and it includes interviews and commentary on all episodes. DVD-R or no DVD-R, I see nothing at all to complain about. Also, most TV shows are around $29.99, so calling $35 "twice as much" is a gross overstatement.

All my TV seasons cost me $10.00 or less. I have a few hundred. Wont be seeing that with DVD-Rs.
Old 11-30-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All my TV seasons cost me $10.00 or less. I have a few hundred. Wont be seeing that with DVD-Rs.
That...doesn't matter? What you find used in the second-hand market (as you mention using quite often in your profile) has nothing to do with how much Amazon decides to sell it initially for retail. I too have bought many, many dvds for mere Jeffersons, but that doesn't mean that Sony is going to start selling new releases for less than 29.99 MSRP. Unless you can show me where all of these hundreds of tv sets are for sale under ten bucks outside used copies, ebay or through coupon codes, the comparison is useless. And some people will eventually sell their Maxx set to a used dvd store, and you might, as you are wont to do, find it for super cheap. Also, do you have a list of the few hundred tv shows that you own?
Old 11-30-09, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
What you find used in the second-hand market
I was talking about brand new, factory sealed, in stores, NOT USED. I've only bought maybe five used seasons over the years. Where are they you ask? Everywhere. Try bargain hunting one day. Look... My problem is why am I paying up to (but not always) $35.00 + S&H for a season of a show on DVD-R? On standard DVD? Sure... I still wouldn't pay that much but I wouldn't complain either since its a standard price. But DVD-R? No way! I'm glad to see that finally some special features are making their way on to these cheep DVD wannabes. But in the end they are not DVDs they are DVD-Rs. And why should I be paying a "standard" DVD price for something lesser? I know were not talking DVD Vs. VHS here but its still a lesser product. All in all I think these burn on demand DVD-Rs should be set at a much lower price than a standard DVD rate.

Last edited by dkedvd; 11-30-09 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 11:41 PM

I wasn't aware "The Maxx" had so many episodes. I'm guessng the 2 hr. "The Maxx" VHS release was cut. I wish MTV animation would release "Where my Dogs at?" on DVD.
Old 11-30-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas Speed
I wasn't aware "The Maxx" had so many episodes. I'm guessng the 2 hr. "The Maxx" VHS release was cut. I wish MTV animation would release "Where my Dogs at?" on DVD.
Was that the show had that an animated Snoop Dogg walking around with two women on leashes?
Old 11-30-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chas Speed
I wasn't aware "The Maxx" had so many episodes. I'm guessng the 2 hr. "The Maxx" VHS release was cut.
You can watch all 13 episodes in pretty high quality here for free on MTV's site.
Old 11-30-09, 11:51 PM

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maxx each episode was 11 minutes long and the VHS is missing episode 8. All the other episodes were edited together into a single "feature length" film.

I've watched my VHS copy many times and never was aware there was an episode missing.

The Maxx is one of my long time most wanted shows on DVD, so I'll definitely get this.
Old 11-30-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But in the end they are not DVDs they are DVD-Rs. And why should I be paying a "standard" DVD price for something lesser? I know were not talking DVD Vs. VHS here but its still a lesser product. All in all I think these burn on demand DVD-Rs should be set at a much lower price than a standard DVD rate.
I get what you're saying, but the picture quality will be the same, the dvd player will read them the same, and sorry, but dvd-rs are still dvds (format standard and all). Maybe the disc label won't be as great? Paramount already puts out crappy all gray disc labels for high-profile releases anyway. Now if there's conclusive proof that DVD-Rs suffer disc rot quicker or something than "retail" dvds, that would be a dealbreaker, ladies. I'll probably still wait until I have an Amazon gift card to burn through before I buy it, but the fact that it's a dvd-r has no bearing on my viewing experience.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 11-30-09 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 12:27 AM

I own almost all the classic nicktoons released through amazon on dvdrs, and they are worth the money. The quality is really good and its not like its ever coming on tv again.
Old 12-01-09, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep... Saves the studios a tone and costs us twice as much as a standard season release.
I agree with dkedvd's sentiment (even while acknowledging that the same complaint of price was tossed at Up and Monsters Inc. on blu-ray, which eventually debuted at half the cost as originally stated, if not completely free). There's something about paying a lot of money for a burned copy that chaps my buns.
Old 12-01-09, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Was that the show had that an animated Snoop Dogg walking around with two women on leashes?
Yes, that was "Where my Dogs at?". Snoop Dogg did actually go to an MTV awards show with women in leashes and dog collars. He received little or no criticism for it. The show ridiculed his behavior and was declared racist and misogynist for making fun of Snoop and the women walking around in dog collars. MTV caved in and cancelled the show. You can still come across people online who were outraged over this 5 second Snoop parody even though they admit they never actually saw it. MTV had also refused to broadcast an episode of the series that made fun of Tom Cruise before it even aired.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 12-01-09 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 08:51 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by droidguy1119

I agree with this statement. And the irony of it is, if it came out as a standard studio release at $17.99 with no features, people would still complain. I am happy they are releasing it and the bonuses are just that, bonuses.

Look like The Head will be lacking, which is a bummer, but I haven't seen season two in years...so for me.
Old 12-03-09, 07:08 PM

Are these cut on uncut?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.