DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Star Wars "Correct" Watching Sequence (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/564830-star-wars-correct-watching-sequence.html)

Hendersonfan 11-15-09 01:59 PM

Star Wars "Correct" Watching Sequence

So I have all the Star Wars Special Editions and wondered how they should be watched. Should I watch the order they were released (IV, V, VI, I, II, III) or the order that shows on the spine (I, II, III, IV, V, VI)? I heard somewhere that George Lucas recommended watching them in the latter as that's how he planned it, but I wasn't sure what would be best.

Maxflier 11-15-09 02:06 PM

Re: Star Wars "Correct" Watching Sequence

Assuming you haven't seen them before, I think it would be best to watch them IV, V, VI, I, II, III.

Oh and expect plenty of witty responses like: "you should watch them in this order IV, V, VI, <strike>I, II, III</strike>"

mh4268 11-15-09 02:12 PM

I showed these to a girlfriend who never saw them before a couple years ago. I went 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. I WISH I went 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. She liked the old ones, fell asleep to 1, indifferent to 2 and was sad at 3.

dfmaverick2 11-15-09 02:14 PM

Definitely watch them in release order if you have not seen them before.

IV
V
VI
I
II
III

Some of the magic & mystery of IV, V, VI may be lost on you if you watch them in chronological order.

kgrogers1979 11-15-09 02:18 PM

Definitely watch them in publication order. That is the way they are meant to be watched to avoid any spoilers. (Although not knowing the spoilers would probably mean you have been living in a cave the last 30 years.)

Basically 99% of the people that have seen these movies watched them in publication order as they came out. There really is no reason to watch the prequel trilogy first.

And lol @ George Lucas' "plan." He has had so many various contradictory "plans" over the last three decades that you really can't believe any of it. I find it hard to believe that he ever had any serious plans to begin with. It seems like he just winged the whole thing due to numerous inconsistencies between films.

dkedvd 11-15-09 02:26 PM

I would go I, II, Clone Wars, III, IV, V, VI.

OldBoy 11-15-09 02:47 PM

6,2,5,star wars x-mas special,4,3,1

Kurt D 11-15-09 02:49 PM

Funny, I was talking to a friend about this on wednesday, as well. Go 4, 5, 6, 2, 3 - 1 is pointless IMO.

If you go in numerical order, 5 becomes meaningless.

Kurt D 11-15-09 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 9837020)

And lol @ George Lucas' "plan." He has had so many various contradictory "plans" over the last three decades that you really can't believe any of it. I find it hard to believe that he ever had any serious plans to begin with. It seems like he just winged the whole thing due to numerous inconsistencies between films.

^ This. The 'plan' was to cash in as soon as he could figure out how to do it, while maximizing profit potential.

tylergfoster 11-15-09 02:51 PM

I would watch the bonus discs, then the commentaries, then Episode I, then the Christmas Special, then Episode VI, then the Clone Wars TV show, then Episode IV, then the Clone Wars movie, then R2-D2 Beneath the Dome, then Episode III, then the Ewok movies, then Episode V, then the Droids cartoon movie, then I would set a DVD of Episode II on fire.

Then Spaced.

MrSmearkase 11-15-09 04:26 PM

Just stick with Spaceballs

Hendersonfan 11-15-09 04:34 PM

Thanks for the input, except the Christmas Special ones. Although funny, they were pointless.

Hendersonfan 11-15-09 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 9837297)
Just stick with Spaceballs

This is a great movie!

Tscott 11-15-09 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 9837006)
"you should watch them in this order IV, V, VI, <strike>I, II, III</strike>"

I agree with this.

milo bloom 11-15-09 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mh4268 (Post 9837012)
I WISH I went 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. She liked the old ones, fell asleep to 1, indifferent to 2 and was sad at 3.

This.

If you have any of the Clone Wars stuff, throw it in between 2 and 3, esp if you have the first Genndy Tartovsky ones.

You really need something something that shows how the relationship grew during the war.

story 11-15-09 10:02 PM

6, 2, 4, 1, 3, and no 5.

salami_sincere 11-15-09 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mh4268 (Post 9837012)
I showed these to a girlfriend who never saw them before a couple years ago. I went 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. I WISH I went 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. She liked the old ones, fell asleep to 1, indifferent to 2 and was sad at 3.

I actually like this order.

joelgleo 11-15-09 11:57 PM

I II and III were made with the mindset that the audience had already seen IV V and VI.
Not only does the story work far better that way, there are several inside jokes in I II and III that can only be gotten by those who have seen IV V and VI.

(This is strongly recommended for first viewing. On repeat viewings, I usually watch them in numbered order so as to end with Return of the Jedi)

Cheato 11-16-09 07:21 AM

you should watch them in this order IV, V, VI, <strike>I, II, III</strike>

aJOHNymous 11-16-09 02:01 PM

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Don't forget to watch the two Ewok movies after episode 6. They're a great bookend to the entire series IMO. This really provides closure for a first-time Star Wars viewer.

Groucho 11-16-09 02:03 PM

Everybody in this thread is an idiot:

2, 2, 1, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2

Anubis2005X 11-16-09 02:19 PM

For first time viewers...

IV, V, VI, then...I, II, III, IV, V, VI.

Disc-Flipper 11-16-09 02:26 PM

Going from III to IV is a hard pill to swallow.

milo bloom 11-16-09 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 9838996)
For first time viewers...

IV, V, VI, then...I, II, III, IV, V, VI.

If there were 16x9 copies of the OT available, I would definitely recommend this.

The originals of IV, V, and VI, then the saga of all six with the SE versions of IV, V, and VI.

Cheato 11-16-09 04:04 PM

I changed my mind:

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 5

Though, most people just go 3, 1, 4.