Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Click Here to Join the "Horror Film Club"!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Click Here to Join the "Horror Film Club"!

Old 01-28-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Click Here to Join the "Horror Film Club"!

Ok I get some of the complaints but this whole process is about seeking out and finding movies ppl like here and want to share with others. Whats the point in only watching what you own. Personally I love SOTL but think its a pretty bad selection. 98% of ppl on DvdTalk have seen it, but its someone choice so what the hell. Its all about give and take.

I just feel members who aren't willing to rent the selection of the month because the have a huge unwatched pile is not the members we want actively participating anyways.
Old 01-28-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ yeah, I don't get the complaining.

It seemed obvious (to me) that putting in your number was just a fancier way of saying "I'm in!" and that it had no real significance since it was stated in the first post that selections were going to be random.
Old 01-28-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Ok I get some of the complaints but this whole process is about seeking out and finding movies ppl like here and want to share with others. Whats the point in only watching what you own. Personally I love SOTL but think its a pretty bad selection. 98% of ppl on DvdTalk have seen it, but its someone choice so what the hell. Its all about give and take.

I just feel members who aren't willing to rent the selection of the month because the have a huge unwatched pile is not the members we want actively participating anyways.
Just because I own a DVD doesn't mean I've watched it. I have over 1,000 unwatched DVD's and many of them are horror. If one of those get chosen OR if I can pick up the DVD cheaply, I'll participate. If not, I won't. I'm not complaining about about the way anything has been done to this point. I was just stating why I haven't participated thus far.

If more people chime in and feel like you do, I will bow out and never open this thread again. It's not a big deal one way or the other to me.
Old 01-28-10, 02:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmath
If more people chime in and feel like you do, I will bow out and never open this thread again. It's not a big deal one way or the other to me.
Please don't do that. Even if, theoretically, a few people have extreme opinions, the majority of people here are going to be closer to you, participating occasionally. We'll welcome your input on any film even if it's only on the one you pick.

Yes, I and others would prefer more activity, but don't interpret our giving an opinion as slighting you or anyone else.

The whole point of this club, this forum even, is discussion. Nothing anyone ever says here is going to bother me to the point of quitting, and I hope it goes the other way too.
Old 01-28-10, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
First off, I didn't think there was any way that anyone could have taken my claiming two numbers as anything other than a joke. Really? How could you not see that I kidding? I even say in that post that I am kidding.

Also, obviously I'm in the minority so far (2 to 1), but people really care about when they are picked? Hmmm, never would have guessed that would matter to anyone.

If you don't like the direction, give your opinion, like you just did, which is great. Chad is doing this as a volunteer, and has received little or no direction from any of us. How can we complain about how things are going if we don't speak up? Obviously, no one is ever going to have everything go exactly their way. And no one is going to like all of the choices, as you admit. He's making this up as he goes along, and how can you be upset with his choices if you don't voice your concerns? He does most things in his Challenge opposite of what I prefer, but I know that I'll win some and I'll lose some, and love him for the effort he makes. Feedback feedback feedback, but ultimately, the one doing the work makes most of the rules and you either choose to compromise and have fun with it, or you let it fester and make you angry. Let it out. Nothing it set in stone, anything could change. Or any of us could start our own club.

Personally, I choose SotL mainly for the AA Challenge, but I happen to think that it is one of the greatest films ever made of any genre, and you honestly can't begrudge anyone for picking it. Sure some people hate every film, but SotL gets more love than most.

And you shouldn't have any hesitance at all to stay out of threads just because your opinion is in the minority. I thought Avatar was the worst film of the year and have no problems slamming it every chance I get. It's getting near universal love from both the mainstream public and critics, but that won't stop me.

For me, the only way forums like this really work is if everyone speaks their mind, respects other's opinions, and doesn't take offense at perceived attacks. The nature of this form of communication, being faceless and all, is that people tend to be more aggressive and say things they wouldn't say in person. As long as it isn't too extreme, personal, or vulgar, I love getting attacked here. Debate is good for the soul, and brings about positive change. One can't have a thin skin online.

All the above was not directed at any individual btw, just getting my thoughts out on the matter. I'm quoting you for convenience.
No, actually I didn't know you were joking. That's my bad, but I honestly didn't pick up that it was a joke and I don't remember you saying that it was a joke, I only remember you saying "Two choices! Sweet!" or something to that effect, and I never said I was mad about it, just confused as to how movies were going to be picked. Yes, Chad said the picks would be random, but then movies started getting switched around and again, I was confused as to how things were going and afraid to ask, because it seems like whenever I ask (and I'm not the only one) people make snide comments, and I didn't want to deal with a snide reply to an honest question, so I refrained.

I also never said I begrudged anyone picking SotL, I said that I personally hated it and didn't plan to watch it again and that I didn't want to chime in and give my opinion and have anyone get mad at me for "hating a classic" (I get that all the time, I hate "The Exorcist" too, remember?) I am a little annoyed that we only picked it to go along with the AA challenge, but I kind of understand why we did that (there's not a lot of participation here in the horror club yet and that might help jog things along) I just wanted to point out that I didn't want to get into a big fight about how I'm not a horror fan because I hate SotL over a movie that was mainly picked to coincide with another challenge. It's just not worth it to me. I wasn't bowing out either at this point, just staying silent and waiting. And I think you might have missed the point of my post. I actually watched "The Silent Scream" and thought it was terrible too (I didn't think I could hate anything with Barbara Steele in it) so thus far I've seen two of our picks and I hate them both, and I didn't want to reply to the discussion threads and be the member who hates every movie, so like I said, I was holding back. I thought maybe down the road I could contribute more as other movies were picked (I personally love "Misery" and "Don't Look Now" so I was excited about those, but then we moved them).

The whole reason I posted today was because it sounded like you were chastising people who hadn't participated yet, and that irked me, so I wanted to do what you are claiming you want and air my concerns and explain my lack of participation. Maybe people who haven't replied yet are confused like me, or maybe they're poor and don't have access to "Shuttle" (it's not at the video rental place in town and it was too expensive for me to buy, so I'll admit I skipped it, but I didn't think skipping one movie constituted me "telling others to buy my own movie and then refusing to buy theirs" but I didn't just want to come out and say it was too expensive in case someone complained that it wasn't fair for me to be in the horror challenge but not participate with that movie, but since someone else brought the price issue up, I'll admit it).

I honestly still don't even know what I'm supposed to do, the number I picked was in the 40s, can I suggest a movie now or do I have to wait? I didn't want to ask because I was afraid someone would complain that was a stupid question, so again, I didn't ask, I just held back for awhile and the only reason I crawled out of the woodwork to explain my lack of participation was because I felt like you were slamming people who hadn't participated without taking concerns like mine into consideration, and if I was the only one with problems like this, I wasn't going to say anything, but since Ed seemed to feel the same way, I decided to reply too. I'm not slamming Chad or you, either, I'm simply saying that there might be more reasons behind why people aren't participating.

Last edited by edwardnortonfan; 01-28-10 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 04:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
No, actually I didn't know you were joking. That's my bad, but I honestly didn't pick up that it was a joke and I don't remember you saying that it was a joke, I only remember you saying "Two choices! Sweet!" or something to that effect, and I never said I was mad about it, just confused as to how movies were going to be picked.
Sorry about that, I thought it was an obvious joke even without me writing that it was in my post title.
The whole reason I posted today was because it sounded like you were chastising people who hadn't participated yet, and that irked me, so I wanted to do what you are claiming you want and air my concerns and explain my lack of participation.
And I'm glad you did post!

I apologize if anyone took it that way. As I said earlier, I'm mainly just trying to wake people up and get this thing moving. We've had minimal discussion so far, and I think we have a lot more horror fans here with things to say.

I know that that I have a sarcastic aggressive posting style sometimes, but feel that all of my other (quite verbose) posts make it obvious that I'm never mean-spirited.
I'm not slamming Chad or you, either, I'm simply saying that there might be more reasons behind why people aren't participating.
No offense taken at all, hope you feel likewise. We're just discussing something we both care about and trying to make it better. Feedback is good in all areas of life, but especially in forums like this where normal users just like you and I (Chad in this case) are trying to create something new.
Old 01-28-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jmsmath
Just because I own a DVD doesn't mean I've watched it. I have over 1,000 unwatched DVD's and many of them are horror. If one of those get chosen OR if I can pick up the DVD cheaply, I'll participate. If not, I won't. I'm not complaining about about the way anything has been done to this point. I was just stating why I haven't participated thus far.

Please do not leave on my account. In fact I would love it if you stayed. My comment about the unwillingless to rent movies to keep up might have been shortsided. I keep forgetting not everyone is like me. I just figured our most active members will be those who actively seek out rare and unpopular titles and give them a chance.
Old 01-29-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I may make a suggestion. I think Chad and Trevor should maybe pick a horror club council. Maybe 2 or 3 more members that can vote on which selections will be viewed and when. But all the sugesstions of all members will be considered.

Maybe a way to encourage participation is that the more active members sugesstions are used more often?
Old 01-29-10, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
My comment about the unwillingless to rent movies to keep up might have been shortsided. I keep forgetting not everyone is like me. I just figured our most active members will be those who actively seek out rare and unpopular titles and give them a chance.
I try to seek titles out, but I literally couldn't find "Shuttle" anywhere. Neither Redbox here in town had it and the main video rental place doesn't have it either. I suppose I could sign up for a free Netflix trial or something, but last time I did that I got burned when they charged my account a week early before I could cancel and I had to put in a complaint with the Better Business Bureau before I could get my money back, so Netflix leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't have the money to set up a real account right now. I skimmed through some of the posts in the discussion thread and "Shuttle" sounds like a movie I'd enjoy, so it irritates me that I couldn't find it. At some point when I have money I might just buy it.
Old 01-29-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I try to seek titles out, but I literally couldn't find "Shuttle" anywhere. Neither Redbox here in town had it and the main video rental place doesn't have it either. I suppose I could sign up for a free Netflix trial or something, but last time I did that I got burned when they charged my account a week early before I could cancel and I had to put in a complaint with the Better Business Bureau before I could get my money back, so Netflix leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't have the money to set up a real account right now. I skimmed through some of the posts in the discussion thread and "Shuttle" sounds like a movie I'd enjoy, so it irritates me that I couldn't find it. At some point when I have money I might just buy it.
Well thats fine if you can't find it, you can't find it. It happends. Some titles will be hard to find. No one expects everyone to watch everything. I'm lucky in that I have netflix with all the streaming I want. If not I would miss many as well.
Old 07-19-10, 10:26 PM

I would like to join. Am I #59 ?