DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Waking Sleeping Beauty (Nov. 30)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 09:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Waking Sleeping Beauty (Nov. 30)

from Ultimate Disney:

Synopsis:
Far from a fairytale, Waking Sleeping Beauty is an unprecedented eye-opening look at the conflict, drama and tension that ushered in the second chapter of Disney's animation legacy

– a decade of unparalleled creativity that included The Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. Told by the people who were actually there – Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Roy E. Disney, John Lasseter and many more, Waking Sleeping Beauty is a behind-the-magic look at the people and circumstances that changed the face of animation forever. Available on DVD November 30th.

Bonus Features Include:
• Why Wake Sleeping Beauty? Overview featurette
• Deleted Scenes
o Black Friday
o Howard's Lecture
o Losing Howard
o Recording 'Part of Your World'
o Research Tips
o To Sir With Love
• The Sailor, the Mountain Climber, the Artist and the Poet - Celebrating Roy Disney, Frank Wells, Joe Ranft and Howard Ashman
• Studio Tours - Randy's tours, Roger Rabbit studio, Oliver studio and the tour of the Animation Research Library
• A Reunion - Rob Minkoff and Kirk Wise
• Walt - What would Walt do? A comparison of Walt's era and the current era
• Audio Commentary - View the film with commentary by director Don Hahn and producer Peter Schneider

even though the film got a brief very select theatrical release (suppossedly Landmark E Street here in Washington DC will show it this month or October). It's a great documentary and I highly recommend it.
Old 09-13-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Waking Sleeping Beauty (Nov. 30)

It's about time. I saw it in Chicago back in April, but had to leave early because I had to get somewhere but I'd like to see the rest of it. Looking forward to buying this.
Old 09-13-10, 03:08 PM

at the Spring Smithsonian film screening of this, Don Hahn had mentioned that the film would be released around the same time as the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 rerelease - well he was right? (hooray!) I'm glad there's a commentary since the Q&A at the film screening was equally as enjoyable as the film itself.
Old 09-15-10, 01:49 AM
MGR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well done doc. Saw it when it ran for a couple weeks in L.A. & in (appropriately) Burbank back in the spring.
That list of bonus features looks pretty good.
Old 09-15-10, 04:46 PM

theatrically I think it only played in LA, Burbank, San Francisco, and New York City. (Was the Chicago a one-off showing or a full theatrical run?) DC's spring presentation was part of the Smithsonian's Resident Associate Program where Don and the Producer introduced and did a post film Q&A, they also gave the Smithsonian a film cel from 'The Little Mermaid', I think the Fall release will only be it's official Washington DC week long run at E Street - why DC is getting this so late is bizarre 1) considering it's so close to the film's home video release 2) DC's been known to take to documentary films moreso than most cities - we Washingtonians love documentary film
Old 09-15-10, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It showed in Denver as well. Don also came out and introduced the film/did Q&A's for the opening weekend. Awesome movie.