Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 10:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the deal?

Forgive me if this has already been asked, I have searched but could not find anything on this topic. So with that in mind.

I am planning on doing the switch to blu ray in the upcoming months; however I'm a little hesitant in some degree. I have 400+ dvds that I have worked hard to amass, I double dipped on many from vhs to dvd. I really really don't want to do this again on blu ray

So with the obvious question is it really worth to re-purchase certain movies just to have them on blu ray?? For example I'm getting ready to watch Alien. Now how much of a difference would the blu ray version be? the movie was filmed in the 80's, or the Rocky set(s), or the Superman Set, or the Godfather set, etc.. I know newer movies will be more beneficial to blu ray. but how about the older ones?

I just don’t want to waste my $$$ on double dipping a dvd just because its "blu ray" when its the exact same as the "SD" version.

I tried to make this as clear as I could. Hope I did (but I doubt it. lol)
Old 10-30-09, 10:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: What's the deal?

I don't think the year the movie was produced is as important as how well it was cared for and how well of a job they do transferring it to HD. Film of pretty much any era is more then detailed enough for an HD transfer.

Generally speaking I wouldn't be surprised if many of the classics from the 30's through the 60's are in better shape then movies produced in the 70's and 80's. Also, films newly transferred with the latest techniques should fair better then ones transferred several years back regardless of when originally produced.

I'm not planning on replacing my DVD collection for BR. I'm mostly looking to replace ones that:
- are favorite of favorites
- had lousy transfers or only full screen originally that are finally done right
- have a large scale feel where the extra detail really comes into play

The main things is to check out reviews first. Studios can mess up a BR release just as easily as a DVD, so watch out for the questionable ones off bad transfers or too much DNR.
Old 10-31-09, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably should have made a more specific thread title....I had absolutely no idea what this would be about until I opened it.....

Anyway, to answer your question: Anything filmed in a higher native resolution then standard definition should be improved by Blu-ray.....as mentioned above, how well the elements of a film have been taken care of and how much effort is put into its restoration and transfer will make a big difference in just how big of a leap in quality the upgrade to HD will be....all things being equal though, as long as it wasn't made in standard definition, then the BD will easily be an improvement....

Another major variable you have to consider though is your own personal equipment....it doesn't matter if you've got the best BD on the market, if you are only viewing it on a 26 inch TV from 10 feet away, it won't really look any different than your DVDs....you need a decent size screen to gain the benefits of HD, probably nothing smaller than 40 inches.....
Old 10-31-09, 06:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
You should have made a more specific thread title....I had absolutely no idea what this would be about until I opened it.....
Fixed.

And yes, what the others have said pretty much.

Personally, I upgrade very little, and only buy a blu-ray if the price difference between it and DVD is negligible.
Old 10-31-09, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to DVDtalk Tin Man I hope you enjoy your time here. As others have mentioned we appreciate it when the subject line of the post is a little more descriptive so people know exactly what the conversation is about before clicking on it. Regarding this specific topic I know we have had this discussion before, and I know the search function can be a bit funky at times, especially w/ short words like "blu". You might want to check out this thread http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/56...y-blu-ray.html and don't overlook the HD forum http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/ where you may find more answers/advice to help you decide what to do.