Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Under the Rainbow

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under the Rainbow

I'm sorry if this has been posted already, but Under the Rainbow is now available at WB archive. A bit pricey at $19.99 but I have been wanting this for so long I could not resist. Again sorry if this has been posted before, but I know it is on a lot of want lists.

Last edited by MoviePhanatic00; 11-06-09 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 08:18 AM

Re: Under the Rainbow

I found this discount code

DIGCPY

And it took 20% off the order. Don't know how long it lasts.
Old 11-06-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks MoviePhanatic00! I was just looking at the description and it states, "16 X 9 FULL FRAME." Any clue? Some say "16 x 9 WIDESCREEN." I'm hoping to use the 20% off, but don't want a pan 'n' scan version.
Old 11-06-09, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVDude!
Thanks MoviePhanatic00! I was just looking at the description and it states, "16 X 9 FULL FRAME." Any clue? Some say "16 x 9 WIDESCREEN." I'm hoping to use the 20% off, but don't want a pan 'n' scan version.
In the past when this has happened with Archives, it turns out that it's actually widescreen. Personally, I have little use for the Archives, but they do seem to get the OAR part right. If that's the only thing holding you back, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 11-06-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome news! Thanks MoviePhanatic00!
Old 11-06-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. I'm hoping that it's widescreen, but I sent an inquiry via their form earlier today. Here are the e-mails. Courtesies have been removed:

ME: I was just looking at the description of Under the Rainbow in the Warner Achive and it states, "16 X 9 FULL FRAME." Other movies say "16 x 9 WIDESCREEN." Please let me know what is meant by "16 X 9 FULL FRAME." Thanks!

THEM: 16 X 9 Full Frame means the picture will take up the full screen. Widescreen shows the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

ME: I have a widescreen TV. With a 16 x 9 widescreen image (1.78:1), there are no black bars. With a 1.85:1 image, there are small black bars at the top and bottom. With a 2.35 image, there are larger black bars at the top and bottom. With a 1.33:1 image (also known as 4 x 3), there are black bars at the sides. Commonly, "full frame" is used to describe movies which are not in their original aspect ratio a.k.a. "pan and scan." However, 16 x 9 (or 16:9) is used to describe anamorphic titles, enhanced for widescreen TVs, most likely in their original aspect ratio. As a result, the "16 x 9 FULL FRAME" is still confusing, more so with your answer.

Waiting on additional reply.
Old 11-13-09, 08:28 AM

I had the opportunity to watch Under the Rainbow last night. I was really surprised to see how well the movie holds up after all this time. I only really remember this movie growing up as a child, but still remember most of what happens. What I did notice, was a few jokes thrown in there that I didn’t understand as a child. I still found myself laughing after all these years.

How does Under the Rainbow look? Watching this on a Sony Bravia 46” 1080P played on a PS3, I have to say I was extremely impressed at the picture quality and really wonder why this never saw mass market release. The print is old and there are specs here and there, but for the most part, the print in is very nice condition and exceeds the quality you might have expect from a movie that is now 28 years old. Colors don’t really pop and there is muted appearance (this might just be artistic style). But given that it is burn on demand, I am very happy with the PQ. The picture is anamorphic and fills the screen.

I can’t really comment on the audio, because I don’t have a receiver and surround system hooked up the TV I watched it on.

If you are a fan of Under the Rainbow, this is definitely worth buying.
Old 11-13-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^Thanks! What is the aspect ratio?