Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I'm curious about a couple movies that I may possibly watch. I normally go by IMDB, but there are a few movies I own that don't specifically say horror in the genre. All this talk of Jaws has got me wondering. First movie is Duel. IMDB lists it as a thriller, but I find the movie to be very similar to the later Joy Ride. Also, I noticed I saw on at least one list was the Underworld movies. Would they count as well?
Old 10-27-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I've spent the last couple of days going through the Nightmare on Elm Street box set, and for the first time all month, it seemed like a chore. The first one was great, but parts 2, 3, 4 and 5 were hard to get through. It almost seemed like I was watching the same movie all over again. Freddy's Dead got a little better, but at least it ended on a high note as I really enjoyed New Nightmare. I may have liked the earlier ones better if I had not watched them back to back to back.
Old 10-27-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm curious about a couple movies that I may possibly watch. I normally go by IMDB, but there are a few movies I own that don't specifically say horror in the genre. All this talk of Jaws has got me wondering. First movie is Duel. IMDB lists it as a thriller, but I find the movie to be very similar to the later Joy Ride. Also, I noticed I saw on at least one list was the Underworld movies. Would they count as well?
Don't forget that we also go by allmovie.com. It mentions "Natural Horror" under Jaws and lists the Underworld films as horror as well. It didn't list Duel as horror, but I wouldn't argue if someone included it. I think it has a lot of qualities found in a horror movie.
Old 10-27-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
It didn't list Duel as horror, but I wouldn't argue if someone included it. I think it has a lot of qualities found in a horror movie.
And it influenced so many horror road films - The Hitcher, Jeepers Creepers, Joy Ride, Monster Man, etc.

Off I go to start a muthafuckin Devil-Doll / Black Devil Doll double-feature...

Last edited by Chad; 10-27-09 at 10:57 PM. Reason: "a"
Old 10-27-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
That was probably me. I watched Underworld: Evolution and Underworld: Rise of the Lycans last night and didn't even think to look at how they were listed on IMDb.

I guess you shouldn't go by what I say, but I watched Duel last year and no one complained.
Old 10-27-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Personally, I'd list Duel and the Underworld flicks as horror.
Old 10-27-09, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered Night of the Creeps online. Got shipping confirmation last Friday. Opened my mailbox today, and what did I find? Nothing. Now I'm kinda bummed. I'm hoping it will get here tomorrow, but I was really, really looking forward to watching it tonight.
Old 10-27-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I noticed a download link for the Rifftrax player but decided to try it on my own this first time. That's a good idea about making your own DVD.

I was *trying* to watch by playing the mp3 file and DVD both from my computer, which is hooked up to my TV and receiver. Then I started wondering what I would do for a Blu-ray, since I don't have a Blu-ray drive on my computer. Would you play the Rifftrax through your TV speakers and the movie through the external ones?
If I was going to do a Blu-ray movie, I'd play the movie through my home theater and then just put the rifftrax on an mp3 player(preferred) and listen through one headphone or play it through a laptop.

Two reasons why I wouldn't do it through the TV speakers is that I don't want to deal with going behind the TV to hook up audio cables and I'd also want to be able to control it from my couch. If I need to do any quick pauses on either the movie or riff to get it synced, I don't want to get up to do it and I also don't have a long enough audio cable to run from the TV to the couch.
Old 10-27-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Has anyone seen Lady in White yet? I just watched it this evening. What a great little ghost story! Shot right up on my list of favs after one viewing.
Old 10-27-09, 10:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

how's Pontypool? i was gonna rent it today, but wasn't sure...
Old 10-27-09, 10:17 PM

Ask Quint if he thought Jaws was a thriller.
Old 10-27-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

After a productive day of movie watching today I'm right in reach of 100. I probably would have been able to squeeze another in if I wasn't fighting with my dvd player all day.
Old 10-27-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If I was going to do a Blu-ray movie, I'd play the movie through my home theater and then just put the rifftrax on an mp3 player(preferred) and listen through one headphone or play it through a laptop.

Two reasons why I wouldn't do it through the TV speakers is that I don't want to deal with going behind the TV to hook up audio cables and I'd also want to be able to control it from my couch. If I need to do any quick pauses on either the movie or riff to get it synced, I don't want to get up to do it and I also don't have a long enough audio cable to run from the TV to the couch.
Yeah, I didn't want to deal with changing any connections, which is why I did it the way I did. I don't know, I might experiment a little bit with it. I have more than one DVD player hooked up. I suppose I could burn a CD of the Rifftrax and play with some settings. Or I could just take the easy way out and buy a Blu-ray drive for my computer.
Old 10-27-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Has anyone seen Lady in White yet? I just watched it this evening. What a great little ghost story! Shot right up on my list of favs after one viewing.
Great movie. I saw it for the first time on VHS back in the day and just fell in love with it. I need to revisit it again one of these days.
Old 10-27-09, 11:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got back from seeing The House of the Devil. After all the the good word on it, I was pretty disappointed.
Old 10-28-09, 02:01 AM

I love that movie! It has such a cool atmosphere. I feel like I'm really in that small town watching everything play out while I'm watching it. I have a lot of respect for it being able to pull me into the movie like that. Plus I think it perfectly captures the feeling of being a kid, trusting the adults around you, getting sucked into a mystery. I really enjoy this movie. I don't have the VHS anymore so I need to buy the DVD one of these days.
Old 10-28-09, 10:03 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps a bit late, but I've found another interesting short that would work as a wildcard for the 1890 decade on the checklist:

Le Diable au convent (The Devil in a Convent) (1899)
Runtime: 3 minutes
IMDB Link
Watch on Youtube

It's basically about the Devil appearing in a convent, terrorizing the nuns and and turning all the religious imagery into Satanic imagery, conjuring some demons, etc. before the priests show up to send him back to hell. Pretty cool for something made in the 19th century.

Last edited by DRG; 10-28-09 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-28-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG
Perhaps a bit late, but I've found another interesting short that would work as a wildcard for the 1890 decade on the checklist:

IMDB Link
Watch on Youtube

It's basically about the Devil appearing in a convent, terrorizing the nuns and and turning all the religious imagery into Satanic imagery, conjuring some demons, etc. before the priests show up to send him back to hell. Pretty cool for something made in the 19th century.
Nice find. I think I'm actually going to have one wildcard leftover; I might use it on this short. If not, there will definitely be next year!
Old 10-28-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG

IMDB Link
Watch on Youtube

I'm going to check this out even though I have no wild cards left. Thanks!
Old 10-28-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes! Definitely one of the highlights from last year. A very interesting combination of a ghost story, a murder mystery, a family drama and a nostalgia film.

And interestingly enough, it got mixed reviews from Siskel and Ebert:

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/bue...=lady+in+white

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I just got back from seeing The House of the Devil. After all the the good word on it, I was pretty disappointed.
I've been meaning to check it out, but couldn't justify spending $9.99 to rent it from Amazon.
Old 10-28-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ do you have HDNet? It's being played back-to-back-to-back tonight.
Old 10-28-09, 12:36 PM

After 3 tries I finally finished the checklist. See you in hell checklist!
Old 10-28-09, 01:21 PM

I have 10 left to meet my goal of 100 but my parents are driving up tomorrow to visit all day, my fiances birthday is Friday, and Saturday is Halloween so I have no idea how I'm going to fit in 10 movies yet. All I know is if I'm this close and don't finish I'll be kicking myself for it.
Old 10-28-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I have 10 left to meet my goal of 100 but my parents are driving up tomorrow to visit all day, my fiances birthday is Friday, and Saturday is Halloween so I have no idea how I'm going to fit in 10 movies yet. All I know is if I'm this close and don't finish I'll be kicking myself for it.
Old 10-28-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
^ do you have HDNet? It's being played back-to-back-to-back tonight.
Unfortunately I don't.

Originally Posted by cysiam
After 3 tries I finally finished the checklist. See you in hell checklist!
I'm getting close, but I'll come up just shy of completing it again. Those damn 'takes place in space' and 'based on a video game' get me every time. But ultimately it just comes down to not wanting to watch certain titles for the umpteenth time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.