Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Kind of a little upset... I hit 100 for the first time, and I am so close to the 124 I set as my ultimate goal. My mother just bought a new house, so I need to help her move. Plus move myself, and now I have a halloween party. I don't know if I am gonna do it or not.
Old 10-26-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE
I said are you talkin' to me?
Settle down, DeNiro.
Old 10-26-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just tied my previous personal best of 170. When I started this up, I honestly didn't think I'd come even close.
Old 10-26-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I don't care much for Jaws. Seen it a few times and just don't care for it. Not even to buy it for $5 at Wal-Mart.

I also hated The Thing when I was a kid because it was boring. Then I grew up and enjoyed it.

I also don't like Psycho but the last time I saw that was as a kid, so who knows now. I'm open to watching it again.
I'm the exact same way with Jaws. I've given it chances, just isn't for me. Though, The Thing and Psycho I've always loved.
Old 10-27-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
I think you have to qualify your post. Did you just dislike it the first time you saw it? When was that? Have you seen it since then? If so, do you still dislike it? What about it didn't you like? Are you insane?

FWIW - I've only seen it once and that was last year and it was amazing.
I've seen it a couple of times just never really cared for it. I feel it is very slow moving and boring.

To be honest I don't really care for John Carpenter's work very much. The only ones I really like are Halloween and Escape from New York. I enjoy The Fog too, but it's nothing special.
Old 10-27-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Kind of a little upset... I hit 100 for the first time, and I am so close to the 124 I set as my ultimate goal. My mother just bought a new house, so I need to help her move. Plus move myself, and now I have a halloween party. I don't know if I am gonna do it or not.
I wouldn't skip a Halloween Party with friends to sit at home and watch movies. I won't be able to watch anything on the 31st because I'll be going to a big party with my girlfriend and a handful of our friends. Socialize!!

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Well you just met one, I very much disliked The Thing
It's nice to finally meet one!
Old 10-27-09, 02:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been slammed with work the last couple days, and probably will be for the rest of the month. I'll still get in at least a couple a day, but I was hoping to end on some marathon days. Oh well, I guess making movies is as fun as watching them.
Old 10-27-09, 03:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm doing absolutely terrible.
Right now I'm at 20, and am pretty sure I won't hit my goal of 31.
Hopefully I can hit 25.
Old 10-27-09, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I wouldn't skip a Halloween Party with friends to sit at home and watch movies. I won't be able to watch anything on the 31st because I'll be going to a big party with my girlfriend and a handful of our friends. Socialize!!
I totally agree. I'm doing this for the joy of it and as an excuse to watch a few extra movies. I think this is a fantastic event and I'm glad to be a part of it in a small way. I am certainly envious of those lucky enough to have the time and are enjoying themselves watching a ton of horror flicks, but I feel bad for the few that may be making themselves miserable just for the sake of reaching a number. if you can't have fun doing this, then what's the point?

Speaking of numbers, I think it would be cool if there was a PDF certificate created and sent to those that make it to 100. Sort of a small nod to a job well done. (Actually, shirts would be even cooler, but I'm sure impossible at this point of time or budget!)
Old 10-27-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Rough night last night. Already mentioned the incorrect order being sent to me, but there was a lot of rain in my area yesterday. Right in the middle of a Rifftrax, the power flickers on and off. I get the Rifftrax synched again, and the power flickers again. Finally, I'm able to finish the Rifftrax movie, which took considerably longer than it should have, and I start watching Prince of Darkness. When things started getting really good, the power goes out for about an hour. I was still able to get 2 movies in yesterday but was hoping for one more.

As for Halloween, I probably have to go do a couple hours of work that day, but otherwise, I plan on staying home and having a marathon viewing session. I certainly won't be making myself miserable to reach a number. I'd much rather be enjoying a night of horror movies on my couch than go to a party. I much prefer small groups to big parties anyway.
Old 10-27-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to the first film I could not finish... 1990's DEMON COP. Ugh. I included it in the video review but am not counting it.
Old 10-27-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
When things started getting really good, the power goes out for about an hour.
No backup plan? No laptops with charged batteries? No portable music player that also plays videos, like Zune or iPod? No emergency plan that involves a friend's house that has power you can drive to?
Old 10-27-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE
Hey Seth I've always liked your positive attitude and I'll be rooting for you to hit 100.
Thanks Dave! The last few days of very minimal viewing due to various things going on have recharged my batteries a bit so hopefully I make it.
Old 10-27-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Just watched the original Step Father. Great flick but one thing I didn't seem to catch was how the

Spoiler:
killer's old brother in law eventually tracked him down. I remember him finding a page ripped out of a magazine in the house where his sister was killed but can't recall how he made the connection to Jerry

Also, the end nudity in that flick was unexpected.
Old 10-27-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a horrific night and am amazed i can sit thru 2 hr movies like halloween and the last house on the left, but when i took a break on horror movies i fell asleep 4 times to transformers 2.

however i have thurs, fri, sat, sun off for a race to the finish.
Old 10-27-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Currently watching Return Of The Living Dead 2 w/ commentary. Love the movie, first time w/ commentary.
Old 10-27-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No backup plan? No laptops with charged batteries? No portable music player that also plays videos, like Zune or iPod? No emergency plan that involves a friend's house that has power you can drive to?
Well, I started a DVD on my laptop, but Prince of Darkness was on my DVR. So, there was no way for me to continue watching that movie without power. Of course, once I was about halfway through the DVD the power came back on. Then I had to decide which one to finish before bed. More than anything, I hated being taken out of a first-time viewing in the last 30 or so minutes of the movie, when things were really heating up. It killed the film's momentum.

The Rifftrax thing was the real pain. It was my first time trying one, and the times that were listed on the text document didn't really correspond with what my players were showing. It was very tricky matching them up! Well, I guess it's not so bad if you just start the movie and watch it all the way through, but trying to pick up from a point deep into the movie was challenging.
Old 10-27-09, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Currently watching Return Of The Living Dead 2 w/ commentary. Love the movie, first time w/ commentary.
I used to own that on VHS. I remember liking it. I'm watching ROTLD 4 and 5 for the first time today.
Old 10-27-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I used to own that on VHS. I remember liking it. I'm watching ROTLD 4 and 5 for the first time today.
I used to rent it on VHS all the time. 4 and 5 aren't too bad imo, at least not as bad as they should have been.
Old 10-27-09, 02:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

saw this last night. surprisingly enjoyable. i can't believe the hate it got. the ending wasn't so bad, maybe a little predictable, but effective for me. liked it better than II-IV...
Old 10-27-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
The Rifftrax thing was the real pain. It was my first time trying one, and the times that were listed on the text document didn't really correspond with what my players were showing. It was very tricky matching them up! Well, I guess it's not so bad if you just start the movie and watch it all the way through, but trying to pick up from a point deep into the movie was challenging.
There's a rifftrax player that's supposed to sync things up. I've heard it's hit or miss.

I usually just cheat and make a DVD out of the movie and the rifftrax. It usually ends up being a weekend project but it's nice when the thing finally finishes without any errors. Still a pain in the ass to make.
Old 10-27-09, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
saw this last night. surprisingly enjoyable. i can't believe the hate it got. the ending wasn't so bad, maybe a little predictable, but effective for me. liked it better than II-IV...
I agree (I mean, I loved part 3, but I understand how it tore down everything they tried to set up with part 2) but I liked part 5 a lot and didn't understand why everyone was so pissy about it. I HATED part 4. HATED it. I was so angry I wanted to throw the filmmakers into one of Jigsaw's traps after I saw the movie.
Old 10-27-09, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I used to rent it on VHS all the time. 4 and 5 aren't too bad imo, at least not as bad as they should have been.
I thought they were going to be terrible too, but they're ok. I really like part 5 even more than part 4. It's got this fun spirit that reminds me of the original. My brother and I used to watch the original ROTLD whenever my mom was out of the house and we could find it on TV.

Last edited by edwardnortonfan; 10-27-09 at 03:29 PM. Reason: I can't spell words.
Old 10-27-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I thought they were going to be terrible too, but they're o0k. I really like part 5 even more than part 4. It's got this fun spirit that reminds me of the original. My brother and I used to watch the original ROTLD whenever my mom was out of the house and we could find it on TV.
Agreed about 5. 4 seems more like a SyFy original (which it may be) that takes itself wayyyy too seriously. Rave To The Grave brings back some of the campyness
Old 10-27-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a rifftrax player that's supposed to sync things up. I've heard it's hit or miss.

I usually just cheat and make a DVD out of the movie and the rifftrax. It usually ends up being a weekend project but it's nice when the thing finally finishes without any errors. Still a pain in the ass to make.
I noticed a download link for the Rifftrax player but decided to try it on my own this first time. That's a good idea about making your own DVD.

I was *trying* to watch by playing the mp3 file and DVD both from my computer, which is hooked up to my TV and receiver. Then I started wondering what I would do for a Blu-ray, since I don't have a Blu-ray drive on my computer. Would you play the Rifftrax through your TV speakers and the movie through the external ones?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.