Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-24-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by llandros View Post
Ok, Chad - so I just watched Burial Ground for the first time and now I get to see your avatar of little Michael every time I come in to these threads. Yikes! That face is now permanently imprinted on my brain, I am sad to say.
I saw a guy at Wal-Mart yesterday that could've passed for his overweight older brother.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
To relieve some slight spookiness:
Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!
That was ...disturbing.

Originally Posted by JerryKILL View Post
This blog entry on Movie Morlocks (TCM) perfectly explains how I feel about "new horror" and "classic horror".
Good read. I especially agree with there being an 'overreliance on CGI' in Drag Me to Hell. Loved the film but there were a couple of cartoony looking CG scenes
Spoiler:
The nose bleed and the aforementioned end where she was literally dragged to hell.
that took me right out. I'll take the cheeseball practical effects from the Evil Dead films anyday.
Old 10-24-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
So I should be hitting 100 today, but yet I feel like this month shot by and I didn't watch anything.
I kind of feel the same way. I'm looking through my racks and wondering what the hell happened to the time this month. I'm on a pace to surpass my totals from the last two Challenges I participated in which just surprises the shit out of me. Another surprise is that I'm not particularly burned out. I thought for sure that I'd be completely fried by now but I'm not.
Old 10-24-09, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
I understand you have your opinion... but do you have to keep echoing it? we get it, your a fan of classical horror and not the newer stuff. Guess what, I am the exact opposite but I am not drudging it up everytime I get a chance.
Old 10-24-09, 03:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

This blog entry on Movie Morlocks (TCM) perfectly explains how I feel about "new horror" and "classic horror".
Meh. That blog writer lost me in his second sentence. He's upset that 95% of modern horror is crap? Sorry, but 99% of everything is crap, even back in the 'classic' days.

If you can't find quality in modern horror films, then you're not looking on purpose.

Overall, I slightly prefer the stuff from the 20s to 60s range as well, but there has always been crap, and there has always been brilliance.
Old 10-24-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Meh. That blog writer lost me in his second sentence. He's upset that 95% of modern horror is crap? Sorry, but 99% of everything is crap, even back in the 'classic' days.

If you can't find quality in modern horror films, then you're not looking on purpose.

Overall, I slightly prefer the stuff from the 20s to 60s range as well, but there has always been crap, and there has always been brilliance.
That's the point I was going to make as well. Just because it was made 50 years ago doesn't make it good. There was all kinds of total crap coming out then as well, and yet he acts like that crap is inherently better than the crap from today. It's still crap!

Like you say, I don't think the writer is looking very hard for quality films. I especially like how he criticizes Drag Me to Hell for excessive CGI, saying he prefers the practical effects from Evil Dead. Yet then just a little further on, he slams indie films for their rubbery effects. So apparently it doesn't matter whether a modern film uses CGI or practical effects, it's still going to be considered sub-standard.

I love FILMS! Plain and simple. I don't care whether it was made yesterday, whether it's from another country, whether it's silent. I don't care. I understand that we all have preferences and might prefer one time period more than another, but don't be a snob and disregard movies from other eras. Those who say that only movies from certain eras are good or inherently superior are just as bad if not worse than those who only watch modern films. Don't criticize others for being too exclusionary and then be completely exclusionary yourself.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-24-09 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never realized just how many horror films from around the late '80s through the early/mid '90s have a cheesy rap song in the closing credits. They usually incorporate the events, dialog and sometimes the title itself into the lyrics.

For example:

I love that.
Old 10-24-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just curious to see if anyone else as they approached 100 felt the need to take a minor break from horror. I did last night and earlier today before hopping back in the challenge. I watched the original Mothra from the Toho set, a couple episodes of Dogfights and one of Teknoman. Now Im back in it as I finished watching Puppet Master for the first time on Hulu. And now Im watching Interview with the Vampire.
Old 10-24-09, 06:32 PM

Do directors feel obligated to use cgi after they have paid for it? Raimi has already been guilty of letting substandard cgi show up in Spiderman. To me, any special effect should enhance the film not detract from it. If it doesn't work then scrap it and don't use those special effects people or studio again.
Old 10-24-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Just curious to see if anyone else as they approached 100 felt the need to take a minor break from horror. I did last night and earlier today before hopping back in the challenge. I watched the original Mothra from the Toho set, a couple episodes of Dogfights and one of Teknoman. Now Im back in it as I finished watching Puppet Master for the first time on Hulu. And now Im watching Interview with the Vampire.
I caught Couples Retreat at the theater on Wednesday. That's been the only non-horror of the month for me. I am severely tempted to break out some of the non-horror titles that have accumulated but I've made it this far.
Old 10-24-09, 07:34 PM

Just curious to see if anyone else as they approached 100 felt the need to take a minor break from horror.
I've been watching a fair amount of non-horror television. Not because I need the break from horror, but because my DVR is filling up and I need to keep some space free.

Also, this is October and I'm a guy, so I'm obviously watching lots of football and baseball.
Old 10-24-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just curious to see if anyone else as they approached 100 felt the need to take a minor break from horror.
The only breaks I'm taking are for football and hockey games. Other movies and TV can wait until November.
Old 10-24-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved View Post
Sorry Chad, no more comments from me about behavior for fear of becoming Nostrafooey.
Huh?

Nope. Well, at least not intentionally.
Old 10-24-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Can you explain to me why the guys just didn't leave the construction site? Maybe I missed an explanation for this.
They were union workers and they don't back down from a fight.
Old 10-24-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

while im still updating my list slowly i know im nearing 100 by now and dont nearly feel as drained as past years bc i havent been forcing myself to watch crap just for the sake of one more number...hell i dont think up until today iput myself thru any syfy channel stuff (splinter was on tonight and still need it on dvd) Plus iv been able to get alot of new stuff i havent seen before and some awesome new releases (zombieland, Trick 'r Treat, Drag Me to Hell, etc)

my only downfall is im like 12 days behind on updating mylist bc when i get free time i end up reading others lists and adding to my netflix que for my november horror challenge

now off to watch May
Old 10-24-09, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Huh?

The fooey was a Dell'Abate reference not Hong Kong but nice artwork.
Old 10-24-09, 11:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

really, really liked this one. surprised and creeped me out more than i ever would have expected. one of the more creepy movies i have seen in sometime and that is saying a lot since i don't get freaked out too often, but this had me on the edge, tense and taut with emotion. excellent horror choice and a fine blind buy!

another much better than i expected movie, going in with only the lore behind me. pretty unoriginal in plot, but inspired and trippy movie making by Stanley, with some gorgeous cinematography in some parts made for an enjoyable and tense little monster movie.

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-24-09 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Just hit 100 with a crappy movie that was way too long. Over 2 and a half hours long. Could've easily been cut down to an hour.
Old 10-24-09, 11:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Just hit 100 with a crappy movie that was way too long. Over 2 and a half hours long. Could've easily been cut down to an hour.
& the movie?
Old 10-24-09, 11:33 PM

I guess someone has to be first, and it should have been me, but is embarassed that no one is clapping after all of these short films. Some are quite excellent, and some of the filmmakers are in attendance.
Old 10-24-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although I would say horror would be more of a sub-genre of Night Watch and Day Watch, has anyone checked out these movies? I really enjoyed Day Watch a bit more than Night Watch, but in reality I almost consider the two movies one big movie together. I haven't really seen movies quite done in this way, and I must say I really enjoyed them both. The acting was impeccable and the story was unique. Very well done.
Old 10-25-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good way to hit my 100 this evening with a midnight screening at our local rep theatre of ZOMBIE! Ah, Zombie vs Shark never gets old.
Old 10-25-09, 02:20 AM

I guess thats the classic response.
Old 10-25-09, 08:56 AM

31 FILMS SUBSET

THE ORIGINAL POST

LAST YEAR'S LIST

Date Movie DVDTalker discussion thread
Thursday, October 1st Cube (1997) Numes discussion thread
Friday, October 2nd Nightmare Castle (1965) Chad discussion thread
Saturday, October 3rd Poltergeist (1982) Darth Maher discussion thread
Sunday, October 4th The Manitou (1978) riotinmyskull discussion thread
Monday, October 5th High Tension (2003) Larry C. discussion thread
Tuesday, October 6th The Nanny (1965) Mister Peepers discussion thread
Wednesday, October 7th Vampyr (1932) Trevor discussion thread
Thursday, October 8th Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) Darth Maher discussion thread
Friday, October 9th The Signal (2007) clckworang discussion thread
Saturday, October 10th Baby Blues (2008) LickTheABCs discussion thread
Sunday, October 11th Cemetary Man (1994) Darkgod discussion thread
Monday, October 12th Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) Dick Laurent discussion thread
Tuesday, October 13th Psycho II (1983) indiephantom discussion thread
Wednesday, October 14th Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door (2007) terrycloth discussion thread
Thursday, October 15th Troll 2 (1990) Mister Peepers discussion thread
Friday, October 16th Alligator (1980) NoirFan discussion thread
Saturday, October 17th Let the Right One In (2008) cardsfan111 discussion thread
Sunday, October 18th Zombieland (2009) group discussion thread
Monday, October 19th Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968) takingchase discussion thread
Tuesday, October 20th Dawn of the Dead (1978) takingchase discussion thread
Wednesday, October 21st Dawn of the Dead (2004) Numes discussion thread
Thursday, October 22nd Ravenous (1999) Larry C. discussion thread
Friday, October 23rd End of the Line (2007) j. farley discussion thread
Saturday, October 24th Prince of Darkness (1987) killercannibal discussion thread
Sunday, October 25th Paranormal Activity (2007) group discussion thread
Monday, October 26th An American Werewolf in London (1981) Chad discussion thread
Tuesday, October 27th Phantasm II (1988) indiephantom discussion thread
Wednesday, October 28th Final Destination (2000) smashthesymbols discussion thread
Thursday, October 29th Shaun of the Dead (2004) cardsfan111 discussion thread
Friday, October 30th Trick 'r Treat (2008) indiephantom discussion thread
Saturday, October 31st Halloween (1978) John Carpenter discussion thread

Original post in the first and second discussion threads can no longer be edited, since those threads are/will be closed, so I'm moving it here for daily editing.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-30-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-25-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numes View Post
Although I would say horror would be more of a sub-genre of Night Watch and Day Watch, has anyone checked out these movies? I really enjoyed Day Watch a bit more than Night Watch, but in reality I almost consider the two movies one big movie together. I haven't really seen movies quite done in this way, and I must say I really enjoyed them both. The acting was impeccable and the story was unique. Very well done.
I wasn't a fan of Night Watch when I saw it, never saw Day Watch for that reason.
Old 10-25-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I let my 12 yr-old watch the AMC sanitized broadcast of Return of the Living Dead with me. Something wonderful happened: He was laughing his butt off. And not because I was laughing (I actually wasn't laughing until he started), but because he genuinely enjoyed the fun of the movie. I'm not a huge ROTLD fan myself, but after he spent all Saturday quoting lines from the film, I kind of am now.

He taught me something I've been forgetting lately with watching horror movies: Enjoy yourself

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.