DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hammer Dracula Movies

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Hammer Dracula Movies

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I was watching Vampire Circus(R2) the other day and the damn thing wouldn't play in my player. But don't worry-I also have it on laserdisc and it was watched to completion.
I was lent some less than factory issue (*ahem*) copies of both and the copy of Twins I received won't work in any player I have, reliably.

I re-watched Circus a few weeks ago....I really love the cut shots between animal and performer, etc. Whole film just has a lot of style and flavor.
Old 10-26-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Did you see that somewhere? Or know that Bill Lustig was the one that got the distribution rights? Or just assuming since so many other titles have gone to BU?

Sorry if that sounds like I'm being an ass, I'm not... I'm genuinely curious.
From an old interview with Bill Lustig (this is from '04 or thereabouts, I believe)"

Interviewer: I heard there were going to be some rights reversions on some of the catalogue titles at Anchor Bay Entertainment.

Lustig: Yes, they are reverting back to me.

Interviewer: Does that include the Hammer titles?

Lustig: Yes, but I feel as though the Hammer titles are played out. The economics is such that I've decided not to go back and revisit [them]. I know I did an interview... the Quatermass titles, the early Hammer films I did... I just felt that the economics were such that it didn't make sense to go back. They're already out there. They're not bad. It's not like I can add more extras. I mean Christopher Lee's only going to... it was an arm twist to get him to do the commentary. I just felt... let them rest.
Old 10-26-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I was lent some less than factory issue (*ahem*) copies of both and the copy of Twins I received won't work in any player I have, reliably.

I re-watched Circus a few weeks ago....I really love the cut shots between animal and performer, etc. Whole film just has a lot of style and flavor.
This(Vampire Circus) came in the official box set along with Twins of Evil and Vampire Lovers bought from AmazonUk.
Old 10-26-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Vampire Circus and Twins of Evil are controlled by MGM, and MGM is too busy trying not to go bankrupt to bother with genre catalog releases. Hopefully someday, if they ever resurrect their Midnite Movie line.
If you get MGM HD both are being shown on November 1. HD masters exist, therefore, hopefully we will someday get an R1 DVD.
Old 10-26-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
This(Vampire Circus) came in the official box set along with Twins of Evil and Vampire Lovers bought from AmazonUk.
Yeah, I am not hardcore enough to have bothered getting a region free player yet.

Maybe hardcore is the wrong word, the players themselves are pretty cheap now I guess. Honestly I am a bit afraid I would get a mania to have all the cool R2s I can't get in R1. Better that I not open that can of worms, as my wife might put me back in the can with the worms.

Plus these stacks of perfectly good R1 movies aren't going to watch themselves. LOL.
Old 10-26-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
If you get MGM HD both are being shown on November 1. HD masters exist, therefore, hopefully we will someday get an R1 DVD.
Great heads up! Both will have a spot on my DVR. Thanks!
Old 10-26-09, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be truly happy if that SE of Dracula/Horror of Dracula happens. I had my fingers crossed for this Halloween, but maybe next year, I guess.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Yeah, I am not hardcore enough to have bothered getting a region free player yet.
I picked one up a few years back, and I've absolutely loved. There's some great stuff outside of R1, and more than a few of the gems of my collection are non-R1.

If/when I make the switch to Blu, I'll hands-down be going region-free again.

But yeah, if addiction is your concern, it is an issue!